Help with Airline Transfer in Paris (CDG)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
OldTimer

Help with Airline Transfer in Paris (CDG)

Post by OldTimer » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:33 am

My family and I are traveling to Warsaw to visit family in 2 weeks but we stopping over in Reykjavik for a few days first.

When we arrive in CDG via Iceland Air from Reykjavik we need to transfer to Lufthansa to get to Warsaw.

I understand it is the same Terminal (Terminal 1). Good so far.

Does anyone know if we pickup our baggage to go through customs (Iceland not being a part of the EU) and then go back to ticketing with our luggage to check-in again?

We have 3 1/2 hours between arrival and departure.

Thanks in advance for your help.

ZinCO

Re: Help with Airline Transfer in Paris (CDG)

Post by ZinCO » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:12 pm

Actually Iceland is part of the Schengen Zone, which is what determines when there are customs and immigration checks, so my understanding is you should NOT have to get your bags or go through customs/immigration after your flight from KEF-CDG. Obviously France and Poland are also members.

ustf

Post by ustf » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:24 pm

If your flight to CDG and your flight from CDG to to Warsaw are on the same ticket ( Not purchased as two separate tickets ), you should be able to check your baggage in through to your final destination, which is Warsaw, without having to pickup and drop them off again.
That was the case with us, going from the US to an Asian destination while connecting through CDG with anywhere from a 2 to 8 hour connection times.
Happy Travels!

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:25 pm

ustf wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:24 pm
If your flight to CDG and your flight from CDG to to Warsaw are on the same ticket ( Not purchased as two separate tickets ), you should be able to check your baggage in through to your final destination, which is Warsaw, without having to pickup and drop them off again.
That was the case with us, going from the US to an Asian destination while connecting through CDG with anywhere from a 2 to 8 hour connection times.
Happy Travels!
+1! I was confused when I read the OP - whether the destination is Schengen or EU or whatever else should not really matter. As long as you have your travel on one ticket, the airlines should tag the baggage through to the destination (or at least the first point of entry into the destination country).

ZinCO

Post by ZinCO » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:46 pm

Actually I think it does matter. When you enter the Schengen zone, you have to collect your bags and take them through customs/immigration, even if they are checked through to your destination (you would then drop them off again to continue their journey). This is of course the same process you go through when you return to the US, if a US city is your port-of-entry (a few overseas airports have US customs/immigration BEFORE you board your flight to the US, in which case you don't have to do it again Stateside). In the OP's case they are entering the Schengen zone when they arrive in Iceland, but since they are staying there a few days, they would be collecting their bags anyway.

This was my experience this summer as well, with FRA as my Schengen port-of-entry.

OldTimer

Post by OldTimer » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:55 pm

Thanks for all the information.

Actually I had to do separate tickets on Iceland Air and Lufthansa. That is why I think I can not check baggage from Reykjavik to Warsaw and must pick up the baggage.

Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:51 pm

Note that CDG often comes in top place on the "worlds most hated airports" list... even the French hate it for the most part!

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:58 pm

Capsu78 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:51 pm
Note that CDG often comes in top place on the "worlds most hated airports" list... even the French hate it for the most part!
I certainly remember how uncomfortable it was. The roof of the departure gate area was glass, which might be fine from a visual perspective but it had the effect of turning the (crowded) gate area into a greenhouse.
Anybody know why there's a 20-pound frozen turkey up in the light grid?

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:21 pm

ZinCO wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:46 pm
Actually I think it does matter. When you enter the Schengen zone, you have to collect your bags and take them through customs/immigration, even if they are checked through to your destination (you would then drop them off again to continue their journey).

This was my experience this summer as well, with FRA as my Schengen port-of-entry.
That isn't my experience. My checked bags went <US>-FRA-<some other airport in Schengen> and I didn't have to pick them up in FRA. At <some other airport in Schengen> customs knew my bags came from outside based on the color of the bag tags and inspected them.

This page explains how it works. See case #5

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/b ... #controles

In the OPs's case, Iceland is Schengen, France is Schengen, Poland is Schengen. If checked through, no bag claim. No customs in any case. The question is whether Iceland Air and Lufthansa interline baggage (assuming not one ticket). Seems the answer is yes, based on

http://www.icelandair.us/specials/info/baggage/

If not, OP needs to pick up bags in Paris and head to the LH counter to check them.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:16 pm

Since you have two tickets no matter what Iceland Air's stated policy is you might be at the mercy of the person at the check-in counter in Reykjavik. I'd plan on needing to claim and recheck them, and then be happy and thankful if the agent in Reykjavik checks them through to Poland.

OldTimer

Post by OldTimer » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:17 pm

Thanks Stan1, sounds like a plan.

tj218

Post by tj218 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:34 pm

OldTimer wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:33 am
My family and I are traveling to Warsaw to visit family in 2 weeks but we stopping over in Reykjavik for a few days first.

When we arrive in CDG via Iceland Air from Reykjavik we need to transfer to Lufthansa to get to Warsaw.

I understand it is the same Terminal (Terminal 1). Good so far.

Does anyone know if we pickup our baggage to go through customs (Iceland not being a part of the EU) and then go back to ticketing with our luggage to check-in again?

We have 3 1/2 hours between arrival and departure.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Just an FYI from our experience on a June morning flight out of Reykjavik (really Keflavik) and it was pure anarchy. Massive lines, no organization or method to the madness, small ticketing and baggage check-in area, little to no customer service. The people in front of us got into a line, just like the rest of us and waited a good 45 min just to drop bags off at check-in only to find out they were in the wrong line because you were supposed to use a kiosk to indicate you were checking bags then take a reciept and get in line. They had to start all over, who knows if they made their flight.

It really seemed like the airport was run by a bunch of apathetic teenagers on their first job. Seeing teenagers toss bags on to planes only helped to reinforce my impression.

Hopefully things have changed, but I'd brace yourself and try to get answers to any questions like this one done before you get into that airport. It was by far the worst airport/check-in experience I have ever had.

Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:05 pm

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:58 pm
Capsu78 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:51 pm
I certainly remember how uncomfortable it was. The roof of the departure gate area was glass, which might be fine from a visual perspective but it had the effect of turning the (crowded) gate area into a greenhouse.
...and filled with service employees classically trained in French customer service!