Another cut the cable thread

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Frisco Kid

Another cut the cable thread

Post by Frisco Kid » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:37 am

Interested in hearing about some BH alternatives to cable tv. We would like ability to record programs. Your thoughts and ideas please?

dcabler

Re: Another cut the cable thread

Post by dcabler » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:41 am

Frisco Kid wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:37 am
Interested in hearing about some BH alternatives to cable tv. We would like ability to record programs. Your thoughts and ideas please?
I purchased a TIVO OTA a couple of years ago with a lifetime subscription. Connects to an antenna and records. There are other boxes out there as well.

fabdog

Post by fabdog » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:25 am

You may want to look at the OTA services and see if they meet your needs. We don't have a DVR and don't worry about recording programs as CBS and Hulu apps have the recent episodes available so we can watch them on our schedule.

Mike

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:02 am

Search, cable cutting or similar on this site or on the AVS Forum. This topic has been beaten to death.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:06 am

dcabler wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:41 am
Frisco Kid wrote:
I purchased a TIVO OTA a couple of years ago with a lifetime subscription. Connects to an antenna and records. There are other boxes out there as well.
Same here - Cut the cable, we have internet only, and love our Tivo OTA. Installed good quality antenna in the attic and use the TIVO OTA to record and watch the OTA network programming and PBS, and also stream Amazon and Netflix via internet connection. Much lower overall monthly costs and don't miss cable (or landline) at all.

cpumechanic

Post by cpumechanic » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:14 am

I found that my local internet provider charges about $6 per month for basic cable (added to my normal $55/month internet only fee). This includes enough local channels to suit my needs. I also installed a small modern antenna in the garage attic, and with an amplifier this antenna receives another 17 channels with perfect digital clarity. So... I have all the networks, several different PBS channels as well as multiple (about 5) independents.

I recently installed two silicon dust electronic boxes , one attaches to the internet cable, the other is designed to attach to an over the air antenna.
These "boxes" convert the over the air and non scrambled cable channels into HD signals that move over my home network (wireless or wired).

HDHomerun is the software and they offer (for $35/year) a "DVR" feature that sees my NAS (network attached storage) and has a 2 week schedule that is easy to search and select shows to record. So for $35/year I get a very usable DVR and 2 weeks of schedule for all channels I receive I can search and select to record from.

I just highlighted all the PBS Vietnam episodes last evening, so those will be waiting on my NAS for viewing as needed.

I install the free HDhomerun software on cell phones, android tablets, and fireTV streaming boxes. All the channels and TV recordings are now available in a nice seamless interface with a simple 30 second skip forward or reverse option available to skip commercials on recorded content, or a pause feature to pause live TV. There is HDHOMERUN emulation software for apple devices, but it is not free (~$5 if I recall correctly)

The other advantage I found is the $3/month cable TV box (least expensive option) did not allow filter of channels not received, so 200 channels are displayed with 80% of them saying "channel not authorized" and no way to remove the channels not subscribed to. The cheap box also had no ability to see any schedule. Of course if I paid $10/box/month I could get more useful features. I opted for one "$3/month cable card" that slides into the silicon dust cable converter box, and now all my tv devices in all rooms have access to all shows, recordings on the NAS, and the channel list is pre-filtered and only shows channels that I pay for. The over the air channels are nicely "merged" into the list so one list shows every channel when viewing TV.

No.. I don't work for Silicondust... but I am impressed with the inexpensive DVR feature they recently released. Take a look....

Hope this helps

CPU
We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.

renue74

Post by renue74 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:21 am

We cut it 2 years ago. Was paying $162/month to Direct TV (plus the usuals...netflix, hulu, amazon prime video)

• Playstation VUE (Has some locals as well) $39/month
• OTA antenna
• Netflix, Hulu, Starz, Amazon Prime video, and we flip flop between HBO and Showtime apps when GOT or Homeland are in season. (Cancel them when not)

I'm 43 and wife 47. We grew up watching live TV and really was the first "cable" generation. It took about 3 months to get used to....and our kids picked up on it immediately.

Frankly...I probably watch less TV now and don't really miss what I was watching before.

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:51 am

jabberwockOG wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:06 am
dcabler wrote:
Frisco Kid wrote:
Same here - Cut the cable, we have internet only, and love our Tivo OTA. Installed good quality antenna in the attic and use the TIVO OTA to record and watch the OTA network programming and PBS, and also stream Amazon and Netflix via internet connection. Much lower overall monthly costs and don't miss cable (or landline) at all.
Yep, it's very nice! We also have a Roku where we stream Netflix, Amazon, Acorn (British TV), Huluplus, and PBS. Much like when we had Cable, there is more content out there than we have time to watch. Some of the Cable channels have Roku stations, but many of those require that you have cable still. But a few still allow you to stream latest episodes without that.

Another thing to look at is PlayON. It will stream from your PC to your smartTV or to a Roku, if you have the app. It's a good backup to native Roku apps for streaming items that aren't natively available on Roku. They've also added recording capability as an option. Main downside is that the resolution is 720p.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:56 am

Playstation Vue has a DVR built in (as might a few other streaming packages). Check your zip code for locals available for Vue. As a smaller market, we only get CBS live.

But, you do get On Demand versions of ABC, NBC, Fox to watch your shows. In fact, pretty much every show is On Demand now.

Vue allows you to have a profile for each person in your family. Each person can have their favorite shows which are automatically recorded.

Vue with Fire TV is a very solid solution. You will want good internet (high download limit) and a good router. We upgraded to Google Wi-Fi and it has been very solid. 3 units, so the whole house is covered with great signal.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:31 pm

We just have a little Leaf antenna and a Fire Stick, no other services.

TV is not a priority, this nothing needs to be recorded.

Check out the Reddit forum on this same topic. More information than you can ever make it through.

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:40 pm

Glad you posted this.

I am a contrarian. I am happily keeping my Dish service for $85/month (final bill). That includes an excellent DVR, more channels than I watch (I don't watch tv other than sports - but wife and kids do) and HBO.

I looked into cutting cable: I would save $45, at best, based on my needs. But, I would get an inferior DVR (Dish hopper is awesome), most likely lose ability to stream my DVR/TV on my phone/tablet when I am not at home, most likely lose out on some sports (either NBA tv or NFL network, depending on streaming service and cost) and lose out on some kids' programming (either disney or nick).

There is always the concern about the Tivo/Tablo/etc breaking and having difficulty with getting a replacement from the manufacturer. Non-insignificant 1-2 star reviews on Amazon.

Saving at most $45/month for the additional headache is not worth it to me. I do have the headache of calling in every 6 months to renew my ongoing discount with Dish.

Parthenon

Post by Parthenon » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:53 pm

jabberwockOG wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:06 am
dcabler wrote:
Frisco Kid wrote:
I've never had cable but several years ago acquired a Tivo Romaio OTA for my indoor attic antenna. Besides having the ability to record 4 programs simultaneously, the ability to bypass commercials with just a press of one button, the 'Skip' feature, really makes this a worthwhile purchase.

Ed
"What am I gonna do if I run out of money?"

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:54 pm

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:02 pm

We cut our cable in 2010 and bought a TiVo Premiere w/lifetime subscription and outdoor antenna and Netflix. In the intervening 7 1/2 years we've saved thousands. We've never missed cable. Some lament the loss of ESPN or other sports channels but we care nothing for sports and so were not so encumbered.

As for the TiVo it's working great. I had to replace the case fan once, easy fix for $5 for a new fan from Amazon. Otherwise no problems, still on the original hard drive after 7 1/2 years of constant spinning! When the hard drive finally fails I know where to get a replacement preloaded. My lifetime subscription would be preserved.

Edit: typo
Last edited by Nicolas on Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adpd2008

Post by adpd2008 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:11 pm

Cut cable a year ago.

We have comcast internet only at 39.99.

We subscribe to DirectvNow - 60 odd channels plus HBO for $10/month as long as you have AT&T unlimited wireless plan (which my employer partially reimburses). I'm resigned to the fact that the $10 thing is too good to last...