Getting (young) kids interested in coding

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
daggerboard

Getting (young) kids interested in coding

Post by daggerboard » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:59 pm

Hi

What have you found to be effective tools / games etc. to teach young children how to code? I am not talking about insisting that my 6 year old begins working on a plain vanilla unix box, but rather playful / intuitive games / tools that allow him and later his sister to understand the concept of programming and seed an interest for them later to look at coding as something worth learning.

I have seen ads for Pixel Kit etc.

Ideas?

Wellfleet

Re: Getting (young) kids interested in coding

Post by Wellfleet » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:13 pm

I've noticed that my friends who have turned out to have the most quantitative ability (engineers, accountants, medical professionals) watched a lot of tv and played lots of video games unlike myself growing up so who knows.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:17 pm

Lego Mindstorm.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

dn123

Post by dn123 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:17 pm

Check out Apple's Swift Playgrounds, https://www.apple.com/swift/playgrounds/.

It might be for kids a bit older, but give it a shot (its free).

FrugalConservative

Post by FrugalConservative » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:19 pm

One word: Scratch

alex_686

Post by alex_686 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:31 pm

Raspberry Pi and Arduino are open source computer controllers. Write some code and it will display the temperature. Write other code and it will blink lights. etc. Reminds me of those 101 electric project sets from yesteryear. 6 may be a bit young IMHO.

Check out Ada Fruit (www.adafruit.com) - they have many DIY projects. Robots, Cosplay (think blinky belts and necklaces). You should be able to find a project that excites your little tike. I find it is easier to teach excited tikes.

bogleblitz

Post by bogleblitz » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:35 pm

Our school is teaching kids to code in first grade ( 6 years old ) using these 2 websites:

https://code.org/
https://scratch.mit.edu/

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:47 pm

The local library had coding courses for 4-8 year olds in August (each Saturday).

They used these three items:

1) Code-a-mouse https://www.amazon.com/Learning-Resourc ... de+a+mouse
2) Robot Turtles https://www.amazon.com/Think-Fun-1900-R ... B00HN2BXUY
3) Code-a-pillar https://www.target.com/p/fisher-price-t ... A-50720193

My daughter, who is 5, got them most enjoyment and learning from options 1-2.

I also had a fair amount of play with all 3 toys/games and really liked the mouse.

As a cheaper alternative, there are free games online that you can print out and assemble on your own that mimic the robot turtles game.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:16 pm

FrugalConservative wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:19 pm
One word: Scratch
+1, my kid did Scratch for his 3rd grade project and got really into it. He would do it at school and then keep doing it when he got home. Pretty amazing what they can do with it. I think he has over 100 projects online right now.

rbaldini

Post by rbaldini » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:32 pm

I doubt it matters much at age 6, to be honest. Unless they're *very* bright for their age, they're not going to learn anything at the age of 6 that they can't catch up on *much* faster in their teenage years (or later, like myself). And if they don't have a natural knack for it, IMO they won't have a career in it anyway, regardless of what games they play as a kid.

You could argue that more years of familiarity will pay off in increased enthusiasm for and comfort with coding. Could be.

(That being said, don't let me discourage you from providing education to your children! Can't hurt, but IMO just maintain realistic expectations for a child's game.)

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:37 pm

Minecraft. I know kids who got super into Minecraft as a game and then got into customizing it and that led to an interest in programming.

Obviously more indirect and no guarantee of success, but might be worth a try.

alex_686

Post by alex_686 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:45 pm

bluebolt wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:37 pm
Minecraft. I know kids who got super into Minecraft as a game and then got into customizing it and that led to an interest in programming.

I would second this. You don't want shooter games. You don't want "educational" games like "Math Blasters!". You want games that engage your kids mind and solve logic puzzles. Back in my day it was Lode Runner, Lemmings, Civilization, and SimCity.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:59 pm

alex_686 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:45 pm
bluebolt wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:37 pm

I would second this. You don't want shooter games. You don't want "educational" games like "Math Blasters!". You want games that engage your kids mind and solve logic puzzles. Back in my day it was Lode Runner, Lemmings, Civilization, and SimCity.
I played plenty of shooter games and :shock: mortal kombat. Also plenty of legos, brio, and other building related activities and am now an engineer.

alex_686

Post by alex_686 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:18 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:59 pm
I played plenty of shooter games and :shock: mortal kombat. Also plenty of legos, brio, and other building related activities and am now an engineer.
I too grew up with Legos. And kids will play shooter games, watch TV, play with toy guns, and eat sugar. Part of the trick is to offer a balanced diet. Part of the trick is to make education fun, even if you have to slip in a bit of sugar to make the spoonful of medicine go down.

Touch back with me in a few years and I will report on how well I am doing with my child.

Raybo

Post by Raybo » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:11 pm

Can you code?

If so, why not create a simple JavaScript game for them and then teach them how it works and how to change it and let them at it?

Else, never mind.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:14 pm

My 7 year old can't even read more than rudimentary books, let alone figure out coding. What are you folks feeding your kids?! :shock:

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:15 pm

lightheir wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:14 pm
My 7 year old can't even read more than rudimentary books, let alone figure out coding. What are you folks feeding your kids?! :shock:
The library even offers it here:

"Little Bytes

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 10:30 AM - 11:30 AM
Cesar Chavez Library Storytime room
Think your kids are too young to code? Think again! Did you know that children can learn the foundations of coding and computer commands before they can write or spell? Simple logic and sequencing can be taught to children as young as 4, preparing them for more advanced knowledge at an earlier age. Join us for fun activities, apps and games to teach your child the fundamentals of the coding language. Ages 4-7 #CodePhx #stem

CodePHX programming at this location is made possible through grant funding provided by the Phoenix IDA and the Arizona Community Foundation."

J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:19 pm

Coding is not for everyone. If it doesn't come naturally don't force it. Coding is not one of the three "Rs".

Watty

Post by Watty » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:39 pm

I am a retired computer programmer. It is hard to describe but at least for me programming was a very "visual" experience for lack of a better word. In my mind I could sort of see how the parts of the program interacted and flowed. I am not sure if everyone has that experience but in talking with other programmers something like that seems to be a pretty common.

I don't have anything to back that up but when my son was small we he had all sorts of mechanical type toys with lots of gears and leavers that you could put together to see how things work. I didn't consciously push him towards commuters but he ended up getting a Computer Science degree and is doing well as a software engineer.

Dyloot

Post by Dyloot » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:52 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:47 pm
The local library had coding courses for 4-8 year olds in August (each Saturday).

They used these three items:

1) Code-a-mouse https://www.amazon.com/Learning-Resourc ... de+a+mouse
2) Robot Turtles https://www.amazon.com/Think-Fun-1900-R ... B00HN2BXUY
3) Code-a-pillar https://www.target.com/p/fisher-price-t ... A-50720193

My daughter, who is 5, got them most enjoyment and learning from options 1-2.

I also had a fair amount of play with all 3 toys/games and really liked the mouse.

As a cheaper alternative, there are free games online that you can print out and assemble on your own that mimic the robot turtles game.
Code-a-mouse is great. I play with it with my 5 year old. She gets to plan out movement with code cards, program the mouse using the cards, press go, and see if it works.

A great intro to writing and testing code without the distractions of a computer.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:20 pm

For younger kids, I like the Lightbot games on iOS/Android. You solve puzzles by creating a series of instructions that your robot will follow (move forward, turn left, jump, etc) in order to light the proper tiles in a qbert-like board. As you advance, you move into creating functions for repetitive actions and calling them to limit the number of total instructions in the main portion of the code.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:57 pm

By the time they are old enough appreciate coding, all necessary code will have been written. Reminds me of the time about 50 years when I told someone I was a COBOL programmer and their reply was "In another 5 years programmers won't be needed. It will all be automated"

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:14 am

For the record, I would classify this as child abuse.

MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:32 am

Must be tough being 6 years old these days.

daggerboard

Post by daggerboard » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:01 am

Op here.

Wow, thanks for the all the replies. Many helpful ideas.

Let me clarify a few things:

I am an engineer myself and once upon a time earned my living writing code. I also did some fairly involved speech signal and thermodynamics modeling over the years. I have however been bumped up to mgmt for a long time now and have changed industries, and dont even get to talk to many people anymore who actually still code for a living. I fiddle with Arduino projects, SciLab/MatLab etc. in my free time just to stay a little "with it" and feed my inner nerd. However, I came late to coding (late teens/college) and felt that I was never quite as native in it as I wished I was. I was a fine coder, but not as good a coder that my abilities, demonstrated in other areas, should have allowed me to be. Luckily I am better at mgmt stuff. :) I keep wondering if that had to do with my parents refusing to allow me to get a computer of any sort until I was 16 ("you'll just play games with it"). I think early exposure would have helped create more nativity and fluency. It just my like my French - I can muddle through, but I am constantly translating to and from French vs. simply thinking and speaking in French.

My eldest is 6. He can read at a rudimentary level (*much* better than I could at his age), but is quite intuitive with iPad, phone etc.

I am looking for kid-friendly games that create the seed for a later interest that could bloom (aptitude and interest required) into a coding skill set. Not saying my kids need to become the next Zuckerberg, but I think they should be fluent in something that I think will separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to career options in future decades even more so than today (no matter if you are working a CNC machine or want to get into the start-up space).

Any way, many great ideas here for kid friendly introductions - thank you very much.
Last edited by daggerboard on Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:06 am

My parenting tips for a 6 year old:
- Turn off the TV (and yes, that includes Youtube)
- Send them outside to play

daggerboard

Post by daggerboard » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:14 am

sunny_socal wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:06 am
Kids get less than 2 hrs of TV a week. When I come home they have red faces and are drenched in sweat from playing outside, with worms and bugs in hand. That said, I would prefer to replace that little bit of TV entirely with some other non-physical activity that has higher nutritional value than watching rescue bots or princess sophia (if you dont know what I am talking about, consider yourself lucky). Hence my question.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:40 am

daggerboard wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:14 am
sunny_socal wrote:
Kids get less than 2 hrs of TV a week. When I come home they have red faces and are drenched in sweat from playing outside, with worms and bugs in hand. That said, I would prefer to replace that little bit of TV entirely with some other non-physical activity that has higher nutritional value than watching rescue bots or princess sophia (if you dont know what I am talking about, consider yourself lucky). Hence my question.
Don't know about princess sophia! :happy

I'm an engineer as well and would love to see my kids pick up coding. I've tried to show them a few things on occasion but it hasn't inspired them.

Dyloot

Post by Dyloot » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:10 am

daggerboard wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:14 am
sunny_socal wrote:
That's Sofia the First. :D

TV isn't all bad. It's a major part of our American culture. It teaches vocabulary, storytelling, and helps fuel imaginative play. I know it's hated by many, but it is, as a medium, a major force in our day-to-day lives. We limit it in our home as well, but we definitely do not deny it.

You didn't ask, but if you're looking for higher quality (educational TV) than Disney Junior, check out Tumble Leaf on Amazon Prime. It'll appeal more to your engineer self, and your kids will likely love it.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:35 am

djpeteski wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:14 am
For the record, I would classify this as child abuse.
How is clicking buttons on a toy mouse that finds cheese child abuse?

Heck the kindergarten class has Chromebooks and computer programming is covered in elementary school.
Last edited by runner3081 on Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

financeidiot

Post by financeidiot » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:39 am

Any recommendations for a really old kid (adult) who wants to learn? Which language would you recommend (GF is pushing python)?

J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:13 am

runner3081 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:35 am
Heck the kindergarten class has Chromebooks and computer programming is covered in elementary school.
Schools have dropped hand writing. I hope they never have a dead battery, they would not be able to communicate.

blueman457

Post by blueman457 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:45 am

My child is too young for any of these toys... but thanks for all the suggestions. I'd like for her to develop logic skills that can be useful in life.

Blue Man

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:49 am

blueman457 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:45 am
My child is too young for any of these toys... but thanks for all the suggestions. I'd like for her to develop logic skills that can be useful in life.

Blue Man
Aren't we a bit condescending...

Ender2030

Post by Ender2030 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:54 am

I have two 6 year olds and a seven year old. They all love scratch junior and the light bot app a PP mentioned. Scratch is more open-ended, create whatever you'd like, and light bot is a series of puzzles solved by coding the path of a character.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:57 am

Ender2030 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:54 am
I have two 6 year olds and a seven year old. They all love scratch junior and the light bot app a PP mentioned. Scratch is more open-ended, create whatever you'd like, and light bot is a series of puzzles solved by coding the path of a character.
Heard scratch a couple of times on here now. Might give it a try. After the library classes, my daughter is asking for more coding stuff.

blueman457

Post by blueman457 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:04 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:49 am
blueman457 wrote:

Blue Man
It wasn't my intention - it's more than programming and logic skills aren't really "taught" in elementary education so it's hard to get exposed to that.

alex_686

Post by alex_686 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:17 pm

blueman457 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:04 pm
runner3081 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:49 am
blueman457 wrote:

Blue Man
It wasn't my intention - it's more than programming and logic skills aren't really "taught" in elementary education so it's hard to get exposed to that.
I will second this. Programming languages come and go, logic stays and builds. The best programmers I know did not take CS in college. They were some combination of Math, Science, Philosophy, and Music. Maybe they took some programming classes in college, maybe afterwards.

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:31 pm

I know others have said this. But Scratch is the best thing at that age. It is not overwhelming and kids can see the results fairly quickly.

I have experience with this with two of my girls with very different process. As my older one is a freshman at V-Tech and younger just started 6th grade.

Older one was accepted in the Girls Who Code in the summer of 11th grade. I sort of forced her to go attend against her wish. She absolutely did not like computers until that point and couldn't even do a simple excel formula. But she loved is so much she started a GWC club at her high school and now wants to major in Computer Science. She was even accepted at University of Maryland Comp Science program, which is considered a top 10 in the country and probably top 15 in the world.

My younger one is playing around with scratch occasionally. I am hoping that will help her no matter what career she picks.

In my opinion there is no age too early to start learning the coding so long as it is fun at early age. And understanding of coding is essential skill for the next generation of careers - no matter what the profession. It always helps.

Dyloot

Post by Dyloot » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:08 pm

Does anyone remember the Logo software on the Apple IIe? Looking back, that was my first taste of programming back in middle school. I see there's a web version now.

https://turtleacademy.com/

It was a great, simple tool for learning basic coding while drawing in a digital format. Loved it when I was younger.

JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:34 pm

daggerboard,
Maybe your kids are a bit young, but I think something like the "League of Amazing Programmers" might fit what you want. 5th up to 12th grade.
A grandchild has done it now for a couple of years. Started at 6th or 7th grade & she appears to be learning a lot.
http://www.jointheleague.org/

Don't know how widespread they might be?
JW
Retired at Last

hiddensee

Post by hiddensee » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:56 pm

I do not think it is a good idea to try to get people interested in programming. Provide the opportunity. If it's for them, nothing more will be needed. If it's not, exerting pressure will do no good and be resented in time.

daggerboard

Post by daggerboard » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:21 pm

hiddensee wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:56 pm
I do not think it is a good idea to try to get people interested in programming. Provide the opportunity. If it's for them, nothing more will be needed. If it's not, exerting pressure will do no good and be resented in time.
I didn't ask for ideas how to pressure my kids into doing something they don't want to do.

I simply want to expose them - gently, in a way appealing to them, and on their terms - to the broader concept. "Provide the opportunity" as you say. I am not going to go all Tiger Parent on them and brute force something on them.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:03 pm

lightheir wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:14 pm
Things like scratch doesn't require much in the line of reading as it is very visual. Exposure to the basics of logic (if a then b) is pretty useful even if your kid doesn't go into programming. I know mine had fun doing scratch and programming dances and the like for a character to do. Did it religiously for about 3 months and then moved on. Occasionally we do it together but it isn't an obbession they way it was for a while.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:07 pm

sunny_socal wrote:

Best idea yet.

bogleblitz

Post by bogleblitz » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:32 pm

the coding classes for 6 years old require very little reading or dont need to read at all. See example below

https://studio.code.org/s/coursea/stage/4/puzzle/2

It is fun for the kids. It is more like a video game than actual coding.
I do understand parents who don't want their kids to touch the ipad, computer, tv. that is fine. everyone has a different method of teaching.

keith6014

Post by keith6014 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:33 pm

C++. They will love it.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:19 pm

keith6014 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:33 pm
C++. They will love it.
Only if you want to raise spoiled kids. Fortran 66 or maybe Cobol are the only acceptable choices. To be nice we will let them use a terminal instead of punch cards........

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:34 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:07 pm
sunny_socal wrote:

Best idea yet.
Sure but since no one is watching TV or youtube here, I am not sure it applies.:) In reality it is all about balance. Is telling a kid to put that book away and go outside good advice? Maybe. If you have been reading for 8 hours, then yeah sure. But what if you have been outside playing for7 hours and now want to spend 1 hour reading? Would you still tell the kid to leave the house. And yes I am using reading instead of coding since a ton of people out there have huge antitech biases. Comparing the passive activity of TV watching to the active activity of coding for example. The odds of someone posting this advice is say a thread about learning musical instruments for kids is a lot lower because it is a lot more likely they were exposed to music as a kid AND have it protrayed as a positive activity. I don't see a point in going into a thread about a specific activity and tell them they should be doing something else.

I know my general parenting goals is to have the kids do a half dozen things. Some physical activity is good. So are things that require thinking and logical reasoning. Some group activities are good. So is learning to play by yourself. And so on. The goal is to expose the kids to a world of opportunites and at some point they will pick their favorite. One kid liked music so he kept at it. The other decided rock climbing was more his cup of tea. I will let you know in 20 or so years on how it turned out but I should warn you I have a pretty small sample size.:)

tc101

Post by tc101 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:39 pm

Any recommendations for a really old kid (adult) who wants to learn? Which language would you recommend (GF is pushing python)?
Check out www.freecodecamp.org

I suggest javascript but python would be a good second choice. Language choice is not as important as a good online community. Freecodecamp is the best I know.
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.