How much do you spend on "entertainment"?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Tutty59

How much do you spend on "entertainment"?

Post by Tutty59 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:43 pm

Hello all, and thank you for the read in advance.

I recently reflected on the fact that I am not very similar to others my age when it comes to spending. I'm in my mid-20's and became financially focused right after graduating college (about 2.5 years ago). In that short time I've managed to drastically pay down my student loan debt and sock away some funds for my Roth IRA, achievements that I am proud of. I've tracked spending each month over the past 2 years and actively make an effort to save in categories where others spend recklessly. A specific example that comes to mind for such spending would be on alcohol. Obviously the bar scene is popular with my age-group but I have a hard time justifying that spending week-after-week like I see many of my peers doing. So much so that I actually feel as though I've transcended that phase entirely, and rarely find myself wanting to go out on the weekends.

Anyways, that brings me to the question posed in the title of this post. I am cognizant that this forum hosts a variety of age groups, but I'd be curious to know what others spend each month on "entertainment" (not limited to drinking, but if you could specify that'd be great). Not looking for a pat on the back, or some inspiring words about how I'm only young once, just genuinely want to know where others stand.

DaftInvestor

Re: How much do you spend on "entertainment"?

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:50 pm

I don't have a single "entertainment" cash-flow budget but instead have categories such as "Vacation" and "Dining Out".
I do have an "entertainment" category I look at for things like movies, etc. If I were to add "vacation", "dining out" and "entertainment" I'm probably looking at 10-15% of salary these days.
I personally don't want to save all my enjoyment in life for when I am FI or retired - life it too short - and can be cut short anytime. You have to live responsibly assuming you will live long - but you also have to enjoy some of life along the way (and sometimes that means spending money).
There are several "free" entertainment ideas I'm sure folks will share (doesn't cost anything to go for a hike other than a good pair for shoes for instance - and this can be equally as social if you do it with a couple of friends as spending an expensive night at the bar) if you feel you lack entertainment but don't want to spend too much money.

BHUser27

Post by BHUser27 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:59 pm

I'm not sure this is going to be meaningful without knowing how old I am, how much I have already saved for retirement, and what my annual income is...

We (3 adults) consume one bottle of wine per night (on avg).
We spend ~$300 to $600/mo on wine.

Not sure what else you classify as "entertainment"...

Our restaurant/dining spend is ~$600/mo
Internet/Netflix/Vudu is less than $70/mo

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:01 pm

Are hobbies considered entertainment?

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:04 pm

Entertainment costs are less than $10 per month.

We eat out, maybe once every 3 months (usually with gift cards we receive as gifts). No movies, etc. No cable TV or streaming services.

All of the activities we go to are free events, library, community events, etc. Many of these are kids events (we have a 5-year old).

Neither my wife or I really drink.
Last edited by runner3081 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:04 pm

If I lump eating out into entertainment, I'd say the family spends $500-$600 a month. We don't drink alcohol at all, so that's a big zero. I sold my racecar and boat long ago and snowmobile at the end of last season. I guess I would say that for fun, I cut and use firewood on my property, but that saves me on heating oil, so negative cost there. We'll pay for entertainment for our kids so there's the go kart racing now and then and the trampoline place and movies. I don't know....maybe $200 a month. We go to car shows but most are local and free.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

TierArtz

Post by TierArtz » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:10 pm

I use Entertainment as a Quicken category and include things like travel, park admission fees, hobbies other than hunting (sporting goods), books, and newspaper subscriptions. Based on 10 years of data, Entertainment is about 4.3% of total spending and consumed 2.9% of income. Not counting Taxes, Entertainment was in 4th place behind Charity, Food, and Home Maintenance.

Tutty59

Post by Tutty59 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:26 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:01 pm
Are hobbies considered entertainment?
Sure, I don't see why not. Hobbies are entertainment too, but I believe they have a bigger ROI compared to something like drinking.
BHUser27 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:59 pm
We (3 adults) consume one bottle of wine per night (on avg).
Still probably less than most people spend going out for drinks once you divide it up though :sharebeer

BHUser27

Post by BHUser27 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:36 pm

Tutty59 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:26 pm
<snip>Hobbies are entertainment too, but I believe they have a bigger ROI compared to something like drinking.
BHUser27 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:59 pm
Still probably less than most people spend going out for drinks once you divide it up though
In our case (pun intended), wine *is* also a hobby, so the ROI is fantastic :beer

veggivet

Post by veggivet » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:40 pm

My entertainment 'budget' is dominated by concerts, with theater and movies finishing a distant second and third, respectively. I save all of my ticket stubs and at the end of the year I go through them all and relive the memories before the New Year. I resist the temptation to total up the dollars spent, but I probably attend around 100 concerts/year, with costs varying from very cheap, as in free, to very expensive ($200-300/ticket). I probably spend between 3k and 4k a year in total. It helps that my spending for alcohol is pretty much zero.

jlcnuke

Post by jlcnuke » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:44 pm

I've spent about $15k ytd on "entertainment" to include travel/vacations, hobbies, alcohol, massages, sports, movies, etc. I don't have anymore out of the area vacations planned for this year currently, so I'll probably keep it under $18k for the year.

Meg77

Post by Meg77 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:57 pm

This doesn't sound like a budget issue - it sounds like you just aren't into the bar scene and feel out of sync with many of your peers. "I actually feel as though I've transcended that phase entirely, and rarely find myself wanting to go out on the weekends."

There's nothing odd or wrong about that, and you're certainly not alone. Sure, lots of single 20-somethings hang out at bars several nights a week. But many hang out in church groups or fitness clubs or music venues or start up incubators or living rooms playing video games or any other number of places/activities as opposed to the bars.

Spending is relative - hence why I said this isn't really a budget issue. I recommend you find activities you enjoy - whether they cost much money or not - and invest in them. But also remember that money should be saved, shared and enjoyed. No one category should take over. When I was in my 20's I used to set budget category goals to keep my money flowing in line with my priorities - 20% savings, 50% committed/fixed costs, 10% giving, and 20% fun is one example. "Fun" for me included travel, dining out/alcohol, entertainment (concerts, movies), spa services, and anything else that wasn't a fixed cost or basic need like groceries. It took me years to get to my goal targets, which evolved continually, but whenever I got a raise or bonus I knew immediately where it should go to get me closer to my target.

These days I save more like 40% as my income has risen, but I still spend 15% of gross income on fun money. Lots of that goes toward booze for the record, but not because I am part of the bar scene. These days I'm married and a lot more boring, but when we do drink we enjoy wine club wines, craft beer, and nicer restaurants with higher prices but fewer crowds.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin

donfairplay

Post by donfairplay » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:03 pm

2016: $1,408
2017 YTD: $769

DON'T JUDGE ME

BanquetBeer

Post by BanquetBeer » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:17 pm

For bars I used to go out a lot, always preferred cheap places ($1 small cups or $3 pints) but did spend significant time at $5/pint places. But monthly bills totaled $2k for food/gas/car/beer/etc (everything outside of apartment and utilities)

Nowadays I buy beer at home because it's hard for me to deal with the 100-400% markup and limited selection. I'll also pregame with a DD so I can have a social beer or two out rather than 5-6 over the course of the evening.

Used to spend most of my budget on going to to eat and drink. Yesterday I spent $100 on exterior electrical plugs and covers... priorities and responsibilities change. Set a savings amount that keeps you happy and spend the rest however you feel. If you're limited on budget, go for maximizing enjoyment value

mac808

Post by mac808 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:19 pm

Not much. I've noticed persistent deflation in "entertainment" categories and I spend half or less now, than what I used to spend, and I feel like it's higher quality and more enjoyable entertainment. Netflix and Amazon Video is a good anecdotal example - I used to frequent the movie theater, but haven't been in a couple years. Another one would be video games, where I used to spend hundreds of dollars per year buying video games, now there is a lifetime supply of great mobile games available for free (assuming you have the discipline not to pay for extras).
Last edited by mac808 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.

fantasytensai

Post by fantasytensai » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:21 pm

I don't budget based on what I spend. I budget based on what I save.

So to answer your question, after I built up a healthy emergency fund, max out my tax deferred accounts, and save 50% of my remaining paycheck to my taxable account, pretty much everything else left over is my "entertainment fund".

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:29 pm

I understand you. When I was your age (I'm 84 8-) now) after college I spent very little on alcohol in my (our, after marriage) home, but would have some in a restaurant or night club. We would go out to see a play (Broadway when we lived in N.J.) or at a local theater or traveling shows.

I consider seeing live sports events (college or professional) football, basketball, as entertainment. Now long retired, entertainment is a big part of our spending. We go to sporting events, a lot of theater, symphony, ballet opera, etc...and we can afford to buy wines, bourbon, gin and scotch, very little beer,. (lucky to enjoy all of those things at our ages).

I am not including vacations in the below spending. I know that some consider that as "entertainment". It is, I guess, but I am not including those costs. To me "entertainment" is home based.

What did we spend on those things (not including restaurant & accompanying alcohol) in 2016? $5,672
Adding restaurants in 2016 $3,533.
Total of those $9,205

And, we have spent so far this year : $5,335
Adding restaurants in 2017 so far: $2,977
Total $8,312
Last edited by Sheepdog on Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
People should not say everything they think. They should think about everything they say.

sixty40

Post by sixty40 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:48 pm

I think age and income matters, so looking back when I was in mid 20's with my first job:
- Happy hour about once per week after work, about $16 each time (2 drinks x $4, happy hr food at $8)
- No hobbies
- Saving money to buy 1st home.
- Had a girl and future wife at the time, per week (1)movie, (2) dinner or takeout, etc., about $52/week.
- We are not big spenders and knew we had to save for our future.

4 x ($16 + $52) = $272/month. I made about $1800/month at that time just starting out.

You have to bring it to today's dollars.

ohmygodabear

Post by ohmygodabear » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:02 pm

My entertainment budget is about 20% of my monthly budget, includes dining out, alcohol, travel.

It's already starting to come down a bit as my friends have kids. Right now I live in an apartment so crummy that I'm embarrassed to invite people over, but I'd rather have a large entertainment budget than pay more rent.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:09 pm

My entertainment budget:

-About $50 per month eating out
-I go to the movie theaters a few times every year. I avoid the concession stand, so I probably spend anywhere from $30-50 per year on movies.
-$52.99 per month on Internet (I use the Internet to play online video games and to watch Youtube videos).
-I may buy a few video games every year. I estimate the total yearly cost to be around $100.

I don't drink alcohol, nor do I travel on vacation, so I don't have to budget for plane tickets/hotels.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:46 pm

I don't keep a budget. We (married couple) don't eat out often, when we do it usually amounts anywhere from $60 to $150+, we rarely drink overpriced wine in the restaurant as the bottles I keep at home are as good, if not better than that of the restaurants (sad, but true) and I refuse to pay $20 a glass for it when I can purchase the bottle for the same price or slightly more (2-3x); there are typically 6 glasses in a bottle of wine.

At your age, I would limit myself to a max of 3 drinks when going out with friends - getting drunk is not my idea of a "fun" night. Concerts and other venues obviously can be and usually are more expensive, not uncommon to spend $100 a ticket. Going to a major ballpark can be equally if not more expensive between parking, food and tickets.

Do what makes you happy, broaden your horizons, try other entertainment venues - some of them believe it or not are low cost, if not free.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:05 pm

Funny you should ask.

Usually I don't spend a lot on entertainment. I rarely go out to a movie. Usually, I either stream a television series or a movie on Netflix or Amazon, or I borrow the CD(s) from my library. I rarely go out to eat, because I have severe dietary restrictions. I am going to spend about $800 when I go to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival next month: two plays plus lodging expenses for three days. I'm going with my brother and sister-in-law. She's going to do the driving, but I told her I would reimburse her for gas, which should be minimal, because she has a Toyota Avalon.
Gordon

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:26 pm

Tutty59 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:43 pm
A specific example that comes to mind for such spending would be on alcohol. Obviously the bar scene is popular with my age-group but I have a hard time justifying that spending week-after-week like I see many of my peers doing. So much so that I actually feel as though I've transcended that phase entirely, and rarely find myself wanting to go out on the weekends.
I have a buddy who used to run up $300 bar tabs on Captain and Cokes...I think it make him feel important that he had that kind of money to spend as he'd flaunt it to others as 'cool'. In reality it was really, really dumb. Waste of $$ IMO.

With bars in my area charging $5+ a drink (then throw in a tip), I frequent happy hours whenever possible with friends instead of prime time weekend evenings. Much cheaper time to gather w/ friends. You get a different crowd then too, not the dunk college crowd. You can actually have a conversation.

Amount spent on entertainment varies- in summer on vacations much more then winter.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:59 pm

When I was I my 20s and single I was very frugal on the big items. Decent but otherwise practical car, paid in cash. I split a reasonably priced apartment with a roommate. But i did spend modest amounts on social activities. Maybe going out to a bar with friends once a week. Eating out quite a bit, typically not extravagant but nevertheless not eating Ramen noodles at home. Modestly priced health club membership. Vacations most years skiiing out West, and a couple of international vacations. I was able to fully fund my 401ks, IRAs and put away some in taxable accounts. The money I saved was on the big ticket items like housing, cars, furniture, etc. I do not regret any of the entertainment expenses.

The one downside of this I got into the habit of eating out a lot including fast food, etc. a habit that I carry to this day.

In terms of entertainment now, maybe drinks with wife and/or friends once every week or two, occasional dinner with wife or family, and rare movie. Way too much day to day fast food. Vacations are typically to relatives and family. My wife has some "hobbies" (I would call vices) that I'd be happy if we spent less on, but such is life.

corner559

Post by corner559 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:06 pm

If I'm eating or drinking anything, it counts as food, not entertainment. That said, I rarely ever drink and when I do, I consider anything more than 2 drinks a waste of money.

As for true entertainment, I spend virtually nothing other than a movie every once in a while.

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:23 pm

I'm not really sure what the benefit is of asking such an open ended question. Instead of relying on self-reporting among a niche internet forum, why not look at actual rigorous numbers?

The Bureau of Labor Statistics is one source: https://www.bls.gov/opub/btn/volume-4/m ... ending.htm

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:43 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (how you spend your money and your time).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

celia

Post by celia » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:03 pm

Define "entertainment". Do the following qualify? (no need to answer here, but one person's "need" is another person's "want")

classes you take that don't count towards a degree
taking kids/grandkids someplace for pure fun
sports that your kids play/travel sports (being gone overnight)
books you want to read that could be checked out of the library
historical movies that you see in the theater (Hidden Figures, Dunkirk, ...)
electronics that you don't "need"
a fancier car than you usually drive that has lots of "gadgets"

bigred77

Post by bigred77 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:33 pm

Luckily I am done (hopefully :D ) with the $100 plus bar tabs but I did that far longer than I'm proud of. Ubering/taxis and are a another addition. If there was dinner involved you can get up to $200 on a night out pretty easy. That's a lot when your mid 20s on an entry level salary.

I was never into going to movie theatres but I like going to sporting events if I can find great value tickets. My sweet spot is front row of the upper deck. I love those seats and you can frequently find them dirt cheap. Maybe every other month I go.

Now a days I buy a nice bottle of Scotch at a pace of maybe once a month. Averages out to maybe $50 a month.

As of late we've been eating out less and less (other than lunch at the company cafeteria) maybe once or 2x a month now. Probably $50 bucks a pop for 2 people.

We've traveled every year for the past 6. Probably averaged 7k a year on that.

So for booze, dining out, sporting events, and travel that's probably 10k a year (as I'm typing that it feels low, I don't budget all that strictly). That's about 6% of our gross income. I'll bet I underestimated our expenses. I think maybe 10% of gross is a better estimate.

gator15

Post by gator15 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:07 pm

In my 20's I spent a fortune in bars and I have no regrets. Those were some of the most memorable moments of my life. I really had a good time. Today going to farmers markets or riding my road or mountain bikes are my form of entertainment. The bikes were pretty expensive when I first purchased but now it's cheap fun. Regarding food, I would rather eat and drink at home. I love good food and will occasionally go to a good steak house. I still cringe when I see a bill for $150 or $200 then have to leave a 20% tip. Wrong thread but our tipping culture can be a deterrent when deciding to go to a restaurant or not.

Maya1234

Post by Maya1234 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:51 pm

We are empty nesters with high net worth (+5 mil) Entertainment as follows:
Restaurants: $6000-7000/ year ( very little alcohol purchased)
Plays: $500-1000/ year
Streaming and cable: $3500 year ( We have EVERYTHING or almost. Premium channels, Netflix, Hulu, Acorn, Amazon Prime)
Books: $500/year
Movies in Theater: $40-60/ year (prefer watching st hone)
Newspaper subscriptions $750/year
Alcohol at home : $0

corner559

Post by corner559 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:21 am

I think OP needs to define what she or he means by "entertainment".

Some people mention eating out as entertainment. I categorize that under "food". Some people say cable is "entertainment." I categorize that as a utility.

Tutty59

Post by Tutty59 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:18 am

Thank you all for the responses, I enjoy reading them to gain additional perspective.

Some have asked me to define exactly what I meant by "entertainment"...but I think this thread has shown that definition varies person-to-person. Speaking for myself, I consider dining out to be categorized as food (separate from grocery money) but can certainly rationalize the thought process behind considering it entertainment. Nevertheless, I appreciate the rough figures and ideas everyone has provided and hope to hear from even more folks.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:10 am

We earmark $15/month each for hobbies. My wife usually spends hers on yarn or some other craft stuff. I usually spend mine on Steam games or console games.

For eating out, $0. I mean, not technically zero, but close enough. We go out to eat once per year at a place that does a buy-one-get-one-free meal for your birthday. So I guess it'd average out to a couple bucks a month.

For TV service: $0. We don't have cable or satellite, nor do we have Netflix or any other streaming service.

For Internet service: $0. Google Fiber is free.

We do buy annual passes to the local "fun center", so we get a year's worth of miniature golf, go-karts, laser tag, and water park for $20 each. So $40/year is $3.33/month.

We do spend money on each other for birthdays, etc, but we categorize that as "Gifts" instead of "Entertainment". Like for our last anniversary, we went out to eat, went to a museum, and caught a movie.

And I guess our vacations, which are just visiting family, get categorized as "Gasoline."

If I throw a party, it counts as "Snacks."

So it depends on what you want to count, I guess.

dsmil

Post by dsmil » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:56 am

My wife and I (and a toddler and infant) budget $300 per month for shared entertainment, which is basically for any food or drinks consumed away from home. This is normally two small meals per week out, and a decent amount of Starbucks. Then we each budget $150 for our own things (golf, beer, sports/concert tickets for me, clothes for my wife).

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:19 am

Tutty59 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:43 pm
Anyways, that brings me to the question posed in the title of this post. I am cognizant that this forum hosts a variety of age groups, but I'd be curious to know what others spend each month on "entertainment"....., just genuinely want to know where others stand.
Older than you, kids out of house. Getting close to retirement, and we are spending significantly more on travel now than we did most of our life.

Restaurants - $3500 - $4500 annual
I've cut back alot, but probably still spend $2000 - $2500 annual on wine
Concerts / bands, rock -etc. $1500 annual (Though a couple of years ago, when Dead & Co were playing in Las Vegas, we flew out for the weekend and caught 2 shows. That was probably $3500.) Jazz & symphony - $600 annual.
Occasional baseball game, outings with friends - $1500 annual
Buying music CDs, Apple Music - $800 annual
Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Cable TV - $1050
Audible - $180 annual
Vacations - Are these entertainment? Just did 12 days London and Paris - $7500; last winter - Singapore / Bali / Viet Nam - $10,000. We did some other trips - winter in Playa del Carmen (to get out of the cold - maybe $3500), trips to visit family in Seattle (1) and Phoenix (3) - probably $5000 total for all.
Last edited by Artful Dodger on Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leif

Post by Leif » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:28 am

I have $100/mo. for entertainment. That is for the occasional movie or concert and Netflix DVD subscription. Dining out, vacation, cable TV costs are allocated separately.
Investors should diversify across many asset-classes so that whatever happens, we will not have all our investments in underperforming asset classes and thereby fail to meet our goals-Taylor Larimore

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:34 am

My entertainment spending runs about $500 a year for a family of five. In that I include our netflix subscription but not cable, books, movie rentals, theater admissions, any itunes purchases and a few other odds and ends. Alcohol and food I categorize separately. As I have gotten older, the movie ticket items disappeared but have been replaced by theater admissions to plays, musicals, etc. I also categorize hobbies in a separate category.

Psyayeayeduck

Post by Psyayeayeduck » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:40 am

I estimate about $200-$300/mo but I have a wide cast when it comes to entertainment like movies, concerts, gaming, eating out, etc. I'm a big believer in making sure the important stuff is taken care first before expanding my entertainment budget. Are the 401k, HSA, and Roth IRA being funded at a satisfying level? Do I have an adequate emergency fund just in case something does happen? If all point to "Yes", go nuts (within reason).

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:56 pm

We spend about $500/month on restaurants, bars, alcohol at home, lunch during work.

While that seems kinda high, our gross income is ~$11,500/month with no debt.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:13 pm

gkaplan wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:05 pm
Funny you should ask.

Usually I don't spend a lot on entertainment. I rarely go out to a movie. Usually, I either stream a television series or a movie on Netflix or Amazon, or I borrow the CD(s) from my library. I rarely go out to eat, because I have severe dietary restrictions. I am going to spend about $800 when I go to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival next month: two plays plus lodging expenses for three days. I'm going with my brother and sister-in-law. She's going to do the driving, but I told her I would reimburse her for gas, which should be minimal, because she has a Toyota Avalon.
I forgot to mention that I'm going to see/hear the Oregon Symphony Orchestra play in November. Last year I went to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in July, and last fall I went to see/hear the Oregon Symphony Orchestra play.
Gordon

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:32 pm

$8/month. That's for Hulu, we are on my parent's Netflix account. We might go to the movies once a year, we used to have a family pass to a series of local museums but the kids got sick of them so we cancelled, we might go indoor rock climbing 1-2x a year, and we literally never eat out. Concerts, sporting events, shows...wife and I haven't spent a penny on those in the entirety of our marriage. You can find my wife and I, and our two kids (2 and 5) on one of the dozens of local hiking trails, cycling (I pull the bike trailer), or at a park or library almost every single afternoon of the week.

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:38 pm

I am a social dancer; it's a good way to socialize for someone in my position. I don't eat out, that's much too expensive.

Entertainment:

(1) $2.50/mo for Spotify
(2) ~$80-100/mo. dancing + lessons

Bogleheads may criticize this, but I would not keep my sanity with my job if I did not have this activity. And given other responses in this thread about spending money in one's 20s, it seems like a reasonable compromise. I'm still on track with my general savings goals this year, of ~40% of gross income.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

Marjimmy

Post by Marjimmy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:54 am

triceratop wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:38 pm
I am a social dancer; it's a good way to socialize for someone in my position. I don't eat out, that's much too expensive.

Entertainment:

(1) $2.50/mo for Spotify
How is your spotify cost so low?
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

jadd806

Post by jadd806 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:26 am

$200/month on restaurants
$100/month on video games/PC parts
$100/month on craft beer
$20/month donation to Soma FM (listener-supported, commercial-free radio streaming)

We also hike a lot but that's essentially free.

I don't feel bad about spending as much as I do on things that I like because we have a 50% savings rate in our mid-20's.

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:44 am

Marjimmy wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:54 am
triceratop wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:38 pm

Entertainment:

(1) $2.50/mo for Spotify
How is your spotify cost so low?
I'm a student, so the cost is $5/mo. My friend pays me $2.50/mo to know the password to the account. Spotify is worth 4x the amount in the kinds of obscure music it gives me access to.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:00 pm

Last 12 months:

$3500 dinner/liquor out
$1600 liquor at home (probably more as some gets bunched in with groceries depending where it is bought).
$6200 vacations
$100 magazines/newspapers
$1500 internet/cable tv

$12,900

I'll note for the liquor at home we entertain quite a bit. I didn't include food bought to entertain others at home as I don't break that out.

walkingeejit

Post by walkingeejit » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:44 pm

This has been a really interesting post to see what other people are spending in comparison to my own spending. What would be interesting from these posts, is rather than a dollar amount but a percentage of the monthly budget.

For myself, my Entertainment is split through three categories, Dining Out, Travel and Misc., where Misc includes Netflix and other spontaneous items like 'hey, let's go to the movies'. Of my monthly income it's approx. 10 to 15% of my budget.

CoAndy

Post by CoAndy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:56 pm

OP, what about getting a couple six packs and having a few friends over and relax on your deck or patio? That would be way less expensive.

Personally, my entertainment money is spent on a movie about once a month, going out to eat a few times, and purchasing a couple cigars and many alcoholic beverages that I usually drink at home.

Also, there is always a vacation or two. We love to travel.

jlcnuke

Post by jlcnuke » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:05 pm

walkingeejit wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:44 pm
This has been a really interesting post to see what other people are spending in comparison to my own spending. What would be interesting from these posts, is rather than a dollar amount but a percentage of the monthly budget.

For myself, my Entertainment is split through three categories, Dining Out, Travel and Misc., where Misc includes Netflix and other spontaneous items like 'hey, let's go to the movies'. Of my monthly income it's approx. 10 to 15% of my budget.
Entertainment is 18% of my "base" budget. As I get OT throughout the year, ~50% of that OT money goes to savings and 50% goes to entertainment, slowly making that 18% go up. Generally, it's closer to 25% overall right now.