Comforter: Down Filling with Cotton Covering

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
gkaplan
Posts: 7034
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Comforter: Down Filling with Cotton Covering

Post by gkaplan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:12 am

I need a new comforter, since mine has seen better days. I need comforter with down filling and with cotton covering.


Can anyone recommend a comforter that meets that criteria, or steer me to a website/store that would carry a comforter with down filling and with cotton covering. I'm not sure what to look for. (I live in Portland, Oregon, if that's helpful.)


Thanks.
Gordon

Carson
Posts: 568
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: Comforter: Down Filling with Cotton Covering

Post by Carson » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:58 am

You may have better luck searching for organic cotton down comforter. Here is one from the company store:

http://www.thecompanystore.com/bedding- ... ml#start=1
30-something personal finance enthusiast, just get getting started on this whole portfolio thing.

stan1
Posts: 6075
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:35 pm

Re: Comforter: Down Filling with Cotton Covering

Post by stan1 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:00 am

I have not bought from them but Brooklinen is one possibility I've been tracking. Interested in hearing what others have to say.

ResearchMed
Posts: 7612
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Comforter: Down Filling with Cotton Covering

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:57 am

Carson wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:58 am
You may have better luck searching for organic cotton down comforter. Here is one from the company store:

http://www.thecompanystore.com/bedding- ... ml#start=1
I'd start with them, too.
Call to ask to be sure about the cover content.

On the off chance they don't have it, then try LL Bean (I'd guess Company Store is more likely).

Otherwise, just google it :happy
But then you might get unknown and/or expensive vendors.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

limeyx
Posts: 244
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:34 pm

Re: Comforter: Down Filling with Cotton Covering

Post by limeyx » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:12 am

gkaplan wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:12 am
I need a new comforter, since mine has seen better days. I need comforter with down filling and with cotton covering.


Can anyone recommend a comforter that meets that criteria, or steer me to a website/store that would carry a comforter with down filling and with cotton covering. I'm not sure what to look for. (I live in Portland, Oregon, if that's helpful.)


Thanks.
Not sure if the cover was cotton or not but we saw some down ones in Costco at the weekend $99 for a King

gkaplan
Posts: 7034
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Comforter: Down Filling with Cotton Covering

Post by gkaplan » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:23 am

limeyx wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:12 am
gkaplan wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:12 am
I need a new comforter, since mine has seen better days. I need comforter with down filling and with cotton covering.


Can anyone recommend a comforter that meets that criteria, or steer me to a website/store that would carry a comforter with down filling and with cotton covering. I'm not sure what to look for. (I live in Portland, Oregon, if that's helpful.)


Thanks.
Not sure if the cover was cotton or not but we saw some down ones in Costco at the weekend $99 for a King
Thanks, but I don't belong to Costco.
Gordon

gretah
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:14 pm

Re: Comforter: Down Filling with Cotton Covering

Post by gretah » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:00 pm


hudson
Posts: 1524
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:15 am

Re: Comforter: Down Filling with Cotton Covering

Post by hudson » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:10 pm

In Seattle
Quality (I'm a long time customer of their back country down products.)
http://featheredfriends.com/down-bedding.html
Last edited by hudson on Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Pajamas
Posts: 6015
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:32 pm

Re: Comforter: Down Filling with Cotton Covering

Post by Pajamas » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:25 pm

gkaplan wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:23 am
Thanks, but I don't belong to Costco.
You don't have to be a member to order many of the items they sell online. I think there is a 5% surcharge for non-members.

https://www.costco.com/down-comforters.html

www.garnethill.com
www.cuddledown.com
www.thecompanystore.com

all have good quality down comforters with cotton covers but a lot of stores from www.macys.com to www.amazon.com to www.llbean.com also do.

You should also get a good comforter cover so you don't have to deal with washing the comforter itself.

I have bought bedding from all of those retailers. I have never bought anything from www.featheredfriends.com mentioned above, but I know that their sleeping bags are of the highest level of quality from seeing them and talking to people who own them and that their jackets and comforters have a similar reputation.

User avatar
TheStig
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:55 am

Re: Comforter: Down Filling with Cotton Covering

Post by TheStig » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:12 am

gkaplan wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:12 am
I need a new comforter, since mine has seen better days. I need comforter with down filling and with cotton covering.


Can anyone recommend a comforter that meets that criteria, or steer me to a website/store that would carry a comforter with down filling and with cotton covering. I'm not sure what to look for. (I live in Portland, Oregon, if that's helpful.)


Thanks.
I have always (24 years now) had good experiences with IKEA down comforters. There's one just up 205, very close to the airport. They have a nice selection of comforter covers, as well. I second the suggestion to use a cover.

The Stig

hudson
Posts: 1524
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:15 am

Re: Comforter: Down Filling with Cotton Covering

Post by hudson » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:37 am

hudson wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:10 pm
In Seattle
Quality (I'm a long time customer of their back country down products.)
http://featheredfriends.com/down-bedding.html
I just got an email with this message:

The Autumn Bedding Sale

Save 20% on all of our Down Comforters and Pillows during the
Feathered Friends Autumn Bedding Sale

Save through October 9th

User avatar
emp2b3
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:55 pm

Re: Comforter: Down Filling with Cotton Covering

Post by emp2b3 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:15 pm

I appreciated the thoroughness of the reviews on Sweethome.com at http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-comforter/
Brooklinen and Feathered Friends are both mentioned as quality picks, and there is a separate post about duvet covers.
The in-depth portion about how they determined a quality comforter may be useful even if their picks do not meet all of your needs.

DomDangelina
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:50 pm
Location: California refugee

Re: Comforter: Down Filling with Cotton Covering

Post by DomDangelina » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:40 pm

hudson wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:37 am
hudson wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:10 pm
In Seattle
Quality (I'm a long time customer of their back country down products.)
http://featheredfriends.com/down-bedding.html
I just got an email with this message:

The Autumn Bedding Sale

Save 20% on all of our Down Comforters and Pillows during the
Feathered Friends Autumn Bedding Sale

Save through October 9th
Many thanks! I just ordered the Bavarian Arctic 850 Down Comforter from them.
"Often the remedy causes the disease. It is by no means the least of life's rules: to let things alone." | Baltasar Gracián, S.J., The Art of Worldly Wisdom, Maxim 121

Post Reply