Manufacturers rebate for Chevy Cruze

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
SlowMovingInvestor

Manufacturers rebate for Chevy Cruze

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:10 am

I'm thinking of buying a 2017 Chevy Cruz (all cash). GM currently has a deal for 20% off for 2017 Cruz models (the deal expires on October 2nd).

For complicated reasons, I may not be able to buy till 5th October or so. There still seems to be a fairly large inventory of 2017 Cruz models (and I presume GM wants to get rid of them to make way for the 2018 models), so is it likely the deal would be extended or even improved in October ? And even if not extended, is it likely that local dealers might be willing to essentially match that offer even after it expires if they have sufficient inventory of the model (I don't care if there is an actual rebate -- personally I prefer a discount to a rebate for sales tax reasons)?

I know this depends on a lot of factors, but I was wondering if anyone knew whether manufacturers (especially GM) had a habit of extending rebates for previous years slow selling models.

[corrected spelling in thread title to "Cruze" - moderator prudent]
Last edited by SlowMovingInvestor on Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

taguscove

Re: Manufacturers rebate for Chevy Cruz

Post by taguscove » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:11 am

Maybe yes, maybe no. it depends.

denovo

Post by denovo » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:04 am

There's no way to predict if rebates will stay, get better, or go away. If you can't come up with the cash until October 5, just finance it and pay off the loan in a month or two. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Plus, why just focus on a measly rebate? Broaden your horizons. Get the dealer to take more off the price of the car on top of the rebate. You can make a killing on late-model vehicles. viewtopic.php?t=124638 See this thread.

If you start the process now, you can probably get a very good price in a week and the rebate will still be current.

Just as an example, I see dealers in my area giving that $3,500 rebate, and throwing out another $2,500 discount on the Cruze and that's before you haggle with them
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

mggray17

Post by mggray17 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:31 am

Only thing I can add is I was looking at the Impalas at the end of August. Same 20% discount and it was to end Sep 3rd, now its Oct 2nd.
If they still have 2017 inventory to get rid of, the deal will probably stay.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:38 am

I think you mean Chevy Cruze. (Now corrected).
Last edited by nisiprius on Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:07 am

denovo wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:04 am
There's no way to predict if rebates will stay, get better, or go away. If you can't come up with the cash until October 5, just finance it and pay off the loan in a month or two. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Plus, why just focus on a measly rebate? Broaden your horizons. Get the dealer to take more off the price of the car on top of the rebate. You can make a killing on late-model vehicles. viewtopic.php?t=124638 See this thread.

If you start the process now, you can probably get a very good price in a week and the rebate will still be current.

Just as an example, I see dealers in my area giving that $3,500 rebate, and throwing out another $2,500 discount on the Cruze and that's before you haggle with them
In my case, the problem about buying now is not cash -- its that I happen to be out of the country right now. I can do the negotiating via email or even phone, but I've never bought sight unseen before. I presume buying sight unseen would be safe for a new car from a GM dealer ? I'm only concerned about minor scratches or dings on the car (possible on a dealership lot).

AAA

Re: Manufacturers rebate for Chevy Cruze

Post by AAA » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:09 am

Maybe you could make the deal on, say, Oct. 1, but not actually pay for it until the 5th.

When we bought a car a few years ago, we signed the deal on a Friday and I told the salesperson that I could come back early the next week with the check and pick up the car then (I forget the details, maybe I had to transfer funds to my checking account). To our surprise, he said "that's okay, take the car now." We lived nearby and I guess he figured we weren't trying to cheat him.

SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:45 pm

denovo wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:04 am

Which area are you in ? In my area, I've got some discounts offered below the rebate, but not 2500 off. I am going for one of the lowest base models, so there is likely far less meat on the bone there.

Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:44 pm

It's getting near the end of the year, you can't really guarantee that GM will still have the same rebate next month. (althought I suspect*financing* deals are probably more likely to expire than straight rebates).

However, as long as there are unsold cars, dealers are going to want to make a deal on them. And typically the deals get more motivated near the end of the month and end of the year.

SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:19 pm

Easy Rhino wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:44 pm
It's getting near the end of the year, you can't really guarantee that GM will still have the same rebate next month. (althought I suspect*financing* deals are probably more likely to expire than straight rebates).

However, as long as there are unsold cars, dealers are going to want to make a deal on them. And typically the deals get more motivated near the end of the month and end of the year.
Interesting -- I would have figured that financing deals are more likely to continue -- since they likely cost the manufacturer less, and also give the dealer a chance to try some upsell (for a mere $20 a month more, you can get option X too !)

I can well see dealers becoming more motivated to sell if they have inventory left, but I think $3500 cash on small cars may be hard for dealers to make up. Do manufacturers typically give dealers some 'hidden' rebates when manufacturer rebates expire ?