Memory Foam Mattress Recomendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
randomguy

Re: Memory Foam Mattress Recomendations

Post by randomguy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:39 pm

daveydoo wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:06 pm
randomguy wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:00 pm
daveydoo wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:08 am
unclescrooge wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:36 am

Isn't that an argument against all technological advances?
No.

We're probably not designed to sit in a chair for 12 hours straight, either. Doesn't matter if you're weaving baskets, writing sonnets by candlelight, or playing World of Warcraft. There are any number of similar arguments that can be made from an evolutionary perspective. It has nothing to do with technology, per se.
The problem is taking the next step...
My original point, which is buried up above somewhere, was that chasing ultimate comfort -- such that one need not move at all during the night -- may not be the most health-promoting strategy. There are many instances of industries pursuing the wrong surrogate endpoint. Or having the customer-preference tail wag the product-performance dog. They're not in the sleep business; they're in the mattress-selling business. They couldn't care less about quality of sleep or about daytime aches and pains as long as they sell mattresses. If they can do that with five minutes of in-store instant comfort, they'll run with that.
Sure. But there is zero evidence that people sleep worse on memory foam than coils in general. The idea that evolutionary we slept on the ground so a hard matress will give the best sleep sounds apealing but it is just a story that may or may not match reality. There are several studies and in general 70%+ prefer memory and report sleeping better. I would hesitate to say any of them are super definitive.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:17 pm

randomguy wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:39 pm
daveydoo wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:06 pm
randomguy wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:00 pm
daveydoo wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:08 am
unclescrooge wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:36 am

Isn't that an argument against all technological advances?
No.

We're probably not designed to sit in a chair for 12 hours straight, either. Doesn't matter if you're weaving baskets, writing sonnets by candlelight, or playing World of Warcraft. There are any number of similar arguments that can be made from an evolutionary perspective. It has nothing to do with technology, per se.
The problem is taking the next step...
My original point, which is buried up above somewhere, was that chasing ultimate comfort -- such that one need not move at all during the night -- may not be the most health-promoting strategy. There are many instances of industries pursuing the wrong surrogate endpoint. Or having the customer-preference tail wag the product-performance dog. They're not in the sleep business; they're in the mattress-selling business. They couldn't care less about quality of sleep or about daytime aches and pains as long as they sell mattresses. If they can do that with five minutes of in-store instant comfort, they'll run with that.
Sure. But there is zero evidence that people sleep worse on memory foam than coils in general. The idea that evolutionary we slept on the ground so a hard matress will give the best sleep sounds apealing but it is just a story that may or may not match reality. There are several studies and in general 70%+ prefer memory and report sleeping better. I would hesitate to say any of them are super definitive.
Last time. I did not say any of this. This is getting pretty close to the opposite of what I said (way) above. Nothing about our belonging on hard ground. Nothing about how the majority of people sleep better on any one surface or other. Nothing about a hard mattress giving the best night's sleep. Nothing about prior studies or their relative merits. Only, one last time, that chasing ultimate comfort -- such that one need not move at all during the night -- may not be the most health-promoting strategy. Feel free to read the thread from the beginning instead of extrapolating it from a few meta-comments. That is all :D. Cheers!
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

buccimane

Post by buccimane » Tue May 08, 2018 7:40 am

Toons wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:08 am
Really appreciate this purchase :happy
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RZ ... UTF8&psc=1
Just wanted to thank you for this recommendation.. Hard to trust Amazon reviews, so I purchased this solely on your recommendation- and couldn't be happier.

Bogleheads has helped me set up my investments, and now those are on autopilot. The personal consumer side of this community is invaluable.
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still

FireSekr

Post by FireSekr » Tue May 08, 2018 8:26 am

Firmness and softness don’t mean anything at all when shopping for a mattress. There are 2 main things to look for

1. Support - when you lay on the mattress in your preferred sleeping position is your spine in neutral?

2. Contouring - are there any pressure points. If you lay on your back do your hips bear all the weight and there is a gap between the mattress and your lower back, or is weight distributed evenly across the entire mattress?

Talking about a matrress in terms of hardness and softness ignores those two items which are the most important for comfort.

You also need to try the mattresses yourself rather than listen to us. All we can tell you is if we like the quality of the item, but my body’s needs are different than yours.

Some posters mentioned Casper. I have a friend who swears by it. I bought one and tried it for 3 months. Liked it at first but it did not contour enough so I had soreness where the pressure points were. I returned it and tried the Leesa. Much better contouring, although it may need a bit more support to keep my spine in neutral, but it is pretty good.

Toons

Post by Toons » Tue May 08, 2018 8:55 am

buccimane wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 7:40 am
Toons wrote:
Just wanted to thank you for this recommendation.. Hard to trust Amazon reviews, so I purchased this solely on your recommendation- and couldn't be happier.

Bogleheads has helped me set up my investments, and now those are on autopilot. The personal consumer side of this community is invaluable.
It makes me happy that you are happy .
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Tue May 08, 2018 10:58 am

All I can say is we have had our original tempur-pedic for 15 years and it is still the best mattress I have ever had.All of these new less expensive versions may be as or nearly as good,cannot answer that.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue May 08, 2018 12:06 pm

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005C ... UTF8&psc=1

Over a year on this mattress from Amazon.

No signs of wear and quite comfortable. I figure I can buy one of these and use it for 3-4 years and still come out way ahead of a Tempurpedic or $1,500+ mattress.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

OriginalJHH

Post by OriginalJHH » Tue May 08, 2018 5:56 pm

buccimane wrote:
Toons wrote:

First, I agree with the above 100%.

Second, pardon the ignorant question, but how does one dispose of your current mattress, if you buy a foam one online?

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Tue May 08, 2018 6:52 pm

OriginalJHH wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 5:56 pm
buccimane wrote:
Toons wrote:

First, I agree with the above 100%.

Second, pardon the ignorant question, but how does one dispose of your current mattress, if you buy a foam one online?
Ours is sitting by the road right now to be picked up by trash tomorrow. Our trash service includes bulk pickups. If somebody doesn’t take it first. It’s amazing what people will find use for.

We just got a king size Casper. Mostly satisfied. Back pain seems less. It is a little firm. Overall my wife likes it but she said she is more likely to wake up and she doesn’t sink in as much as our old 20 year old pillow top spring mattress

il0kin

Post by il0kin » Tue May 08, 2018 7:19 pm

Costco Novaform was a literal life changing mattress for me. Back pain completely gone. Wife loves it. Sleep like a rock every night and it was only like $500!

Church Lady

Post by Church Lady » Tue May 08, 2018 9:04 pm

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/M ... oduct.html

OP,
For not much money, you can get a tri-fold mattress and test drive memory foam. I got one of these a few years ago and found it EXTREMELY comfortable and supportive. I think I paid about $60 for it. Shop around.

Alas, I am one of those who finds memory foam too hot to sleep on in the summer. I didn't mind the warmth in the winter, but no way I'd pay up for a full size mattress that I can't use in summer. My test drive helped me discover this.

Once you are done with the tri fold mattress, you can fold it, store it, and use it for guests. Or spoil your dog and make him a luxury foam dog bed.

Good luck!
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity.

sasquatch12

Post by sasquatch12 » Wed May 09, 2018 12:23 am

I love my tempurpedic mattress we bought it 8 years ago and it made my back pain go away. I don’t have any issues with heat retention and I get hot easily we leave the ac on 75 to 76 and sleep great I love memory foam.

MDfan

Post by MDfan » Wed May 09, 2018 7:42 am

harrington wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:31 pm
mclovin wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:53 am
I had a Casper and returned it. I did not find it offered enough support.

I switched to a Saatva, which is the parent company behind leaf and loom. My Saatva is SUPER comfortable.

I had a good experience with both companies. Casper made the return very easy, and did not complain when our return was delayed due to Hurricane Harvey affecting the Salvation Army pickup.

I would go for a mattress that lets you try it out for a few months.
We love our Saatva mattress as well......

Another recommendation for Saatva.

itsgot8

Post by itsgot8 » Wed May 09, 2018 10:44 am

MDfan wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 7:42 am
harrington wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:31 pm
mclovin wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:53 am
I had a Casper and returned it. I did not find it offered enough support.

I switched to a Saatva, which is the parent company behind leaf and loom. My Saatva is SUPER comfortable.

I had a good experience with both companies. Casper made the return very easy, and did not complain when our return was delayed due to Hurricane Harvey affecting the Salvation Army pickup.

I would go for a mattress that lets you try it out for a few months.
We love our Saatva mattress as well......

Another recommendation for Saatva.
I recently ordered a Saatva and am looking forward to its arrival. I am hopeful of being able to report back the same comments above, in a few weeks.