Software professional salary

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Sunshine22

Software professional salary

Post by Sunshine22 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:36 pm

What should be the ideal salary of an Oracle EBS functional analyst with 20 years of an experience in NJ/NYC area?

drk

Re: Software professional salary

Post by drk » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:51 pm

It's possible that someone here will have a good answer to your question, but I'm doubtful because it's awfully specific. Have you looked at Glassdoor or Payscale?
Last edited by drk on Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sunshine22

Post by Sunshine22 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:56 pm

I am just asking what to expect and not the background of anyone else.Nobody knows anyone personally on this forum ...:).

LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:00 pm

Seems like median is $120 K and maximum is $180 K

https://www.glassdoor.com/Job/jobs.htm? ... 8&jobType=

Sunshine22

Post by Sunshine22 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:04 pm

Thank you very much that was very helpful.I think Deloitte pays the highest salary and it's very difficult to get an interview with them.

Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:45 pm

I was just hired as a Senior database professional and was able to command 80th percentile for my region. It's impossible for people to give you an answer because length of a career doesn't tell us what your skill set actually is. If you have 20 years' experience but you skill set is 5-10 years old you will find it difficult to get a job at all let alone at a reasonable salary, technology skills are EXTREMELY perishable. Generally with technology jobs salary stops going up after 5-10 years experience and starts going down after 20 years' experience so you want a promotion in title every 5-10 years or you'll become less employable.

Salary.com and Payscale.com are both great resources, most organizations consult them when making an offer. If you have a very solid background with an exceptional skill set you can probably get in the 80 percentile range, if you are closer to average or have no exceptional skills or results it'll be closer to the 50th percentile.

If your skills are current look for your job title at a Senior, IV or V level which should get you in the ballpark.

Sunshine22

Post by Sunshine22 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:20 pm

The skill set is not database and is rather oracle applications.First 10 years were with a consulting company working as a Oracle EBS technical consultant.

Next 7 years were working as a PM for a client(independent), both SAP and Oracle EBS.

Past 4 years have been as a full time Oracle EBS functional analyst and the salary range is medium (less than 150k).

I am based in Atlanta and looking to move back to NYC or suburbs but there aren't any jobs available for my skill set there.

I apply directly to companies whenever they post jobs but mostly receive rejections .I don't know if it's the skill set or my age or I am asking for a more salary.

Raybo

Post by Raybo » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:42 pm

Sunshine22 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:56 pm
Nobody knows anyone personally on this forum ...:).
This is not true. I have met several posters on this forum in person.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.

LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:22 am

Be happy you have a job, with some tradional skills.
When you say functional consultant, you are tied to the business or business process of your current client. You n your current role will do the "lights on" type of role, call it Application support or subject matter expert. (AMS or SME ). Typically these roles are " dead wood" type of role, if you are not the leader or " go to" person. Still yours skills in business are not transferable.

You moving to another client, you start from below to learn their business process, hence your skills are not that reusable. Hence you cannot command $150 K + salaries.

Also at these salaries, you should have developed, connections and to present yourself as a thought leader.

I am coaching college graduates to take up these types of roles for $65 K, in consulting. These folks plan to apply to Deloitte as well.

Millinials and offshore are betting for these roles as well, with an energy of an twenty something say 24 years of age.

Hence do your homework, become a leader in your field or stay where you are or take up what the market provides.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:35 am

The most likely path for you is to look on the job sites for a contractor job. They will tell you to tailor your resume to each particular job. My guess is that the pay rate will be about $40-$50 per hour on a 1-year or 6-month contract. That's the going rate I have found in the NY area.

You will probably work on W2 though, but with no vacation or holiday pay; you will be able to buy health insurance through the job but it's expensive. There will be a 401K but normally with no match and usually expensive funds (no index funds).

Make sure you just rent if you get one of these jobs because you usually need to hop around to different areas locally or beyond as jobs end and you go on to the next one every so often. My experience is that permanent employment in IT (even interviews for it) is basically impossible to find.

Good luck to you.
Last edited by rgs92 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

prudent

Post by prudent » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:37 am

Topic moved to Personal Consumer Issues.