identity verification with Equifax?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
GoldenBuff

identity verification with Equifax?

Post by GoldenBuff » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:03 pm

I was able to freeze my credit at Equifax by just supplying my name, address and SSN. They did not ask me any further questions to verify my identity like Experian or Transunion. Did anyone have a similar experience? The URL I used was

https://www.freeze.equifax.com/Freeze/j ... IDInfo.jsp

I am concerned about (a) being phished and (b) if anyone knows your name, address and SSN they can place a freeze on you without your knowledge and you won't have the PIN to unfreeze it.

Thanks in advance.

GoldenBuff.

whodidntante

Re: identity verification with Equifax?

Post by whodidntante » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:19 pm

I think Equifax has established that they are not able to implement effective security.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:24 pm

That's hilarious. What better way for an identity thief who bought your information from the hackers to convince a credit issuer that they are you than by immediately unfreezing the credit report when asked to do so because the issuer discovered it is frozen while processing the application?

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:32 pm

Since I did Experian by phone, TransUnion was the only place I had to answer additional questions.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:26 pm

When I did equifax, they only asked those questions but did not let me freeze, ended up calling.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:57 am

Funny, my TU call eventually ended up being serviced by "Alex" from Banglore/Chennai. All he wanted was SSN and credit card number to freeze the account.

teacher

Post by teacher » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:38 am

When I froze Equifax, they only asked for the last six numbers of the Social Security number.