Appliance sale ends next week, kitchen reno scheduled for Oct/Nov

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
lilvixen

Appliance sale ends next week, kitchen reno scheduled for Oct/Nov

Post by lilvixen » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:59 pm

We have a kitchen renovation scheduled to start in Oct, and we'll only be replacing the range and hood. The range we want MSRP's for $3600 and is currently on sale on the manufacturer's website and other big box stores for $2800. Costco has a price of $2550, valid until 9/20. Footnotes say that it's 2-3 weeks for shipping to the delivery people, and the item must be delivered within 10 days of arrival. We plan on buying from Costco to take advantage of Costco's doubled manufacturer warranty plus the Costco Citi card doubling that warranty, giving us 4 years of warranty coverage.

If you were in this situation, would you buy the range now, locking in the sale price, and storing it among the chaos for 2+ months, or would you take your chances that another sale will come up in Nov - maybe Black Friday? - not stress over storing it, but risk paying up to $1000 more? (I don't know what Costco's price was before this sale price.)

runner3081

Re: Appliance sale ends next week, kitchen reno scheduled for Oct/Nov

Post by runner3081 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:15 pm

I would wait, appliances go on sale all of the time. Even the high end stuff.

There are always coupons and CC deals at Lowe's etc, if you don't find the exact deal down the road either.

If it was 50+% off, I might jump, but the discount isn't great enough that I would buy it now.

Are you sure on your warranty math? I think Costco and your CC will extend the warranty in parallel, not stacking.

Manufacturer Warranty - x years
Costco x*2
Citi x*2 of Manufacturer, not x*2 of Costco!
Last edited by runner3081 on Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prudent

Post by prudent » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:16 pm

To lock in $1000 savings, I'm keeping my car outside and the new range goes in the garage until they need it during the renovation. Unless you're OK keeping the old range until the sale rolls around again.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:17 pm

prudent wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:16 pm
To lock in $1000 savings, I'm keeping my car outside and the new range goes in the garage until they need it during the renovation. Unless you're OK keeping the old range until the sale rolls around again.
I don't think it is a true $1K, especially if it is on sale at other places within $250 of the great Costco price. It will likely be on sale again.

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:35 pm

Seems like a hassle unless you have lots of easy storage.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

lilvixen

Post by lilvixen » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:45 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:15 pm
Are you sure on your warranty math? I think Costco and your CC will extend the warranty in parallel, not stacking.

Manufacturer Warranty - x years
Costco x*2
Citi x*2 of Manufacturer, not x*2 of Costco!
The math is correct with the Costco Citi card: https://www.costco.com/concierge-two-pl ... ranty.html
runner3081 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:17 pm
prudent wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:16 pm
I don't think it is a true $1K, especially if it is on sale at other places within $250 of the great Costco price. It will likely be on sale again.
It's probably not a true $1k, but it's $250 better than the other places plus a longer warranty.
Nearly A Moose wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:35 pm
Seems like a hassle unless you have lots of easy storage.
It wouldn't be easy, but I think we could make it work.

lilvixen

Post by lilvixen » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:49 pm

Since we're risk-averse, we bought the stove before the sale ended. It's schedule for delivery on Saturday, and of course, the sale on Costco's website has been renewed until 10/18. It's a slide-in range, but we're going to have the delivery guys install it in place of our existing freestanding range. It'll look funny and wrong, but it'll give us 3 weeks to test it out before the renovation starts, rather than waiting till Dec to open the box.

Lesson learned: The OTR microwave we want is on sale right now, but we're going to hold off for Black Friday or so for that one.

---
The kitchen renovation starts in 3 weeks, I'm giddy excited!

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:12 am

Too late now but in situations like this, I often take the published sale price to a independent appliance dealer (not big box store) and buy it from them at the same price. They will work with me on storing things until needed in the remodel.