Audio books

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
prettybogle

Audio books

Post by prettybogle » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:05 pm

I am shopping for cheap way of buying audio books. audible has $14 a month plan but you can effectively buy only once book with that. Where do y'all listen audio books from ? Whats the cost like ?

1year23

Re: Audio books

Post by 1year23 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:22 pm

You can "borrow" audio books from your public library. It usually involves downloading an app and then the library sends the book to your app and you can listen for a pre-determined amount of time and then the book is "returned' to the library and disappears from your phone

ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:25 pm

I buy audio books individually from audible, rather than use the subscription. That's cost effective because I only get through a few a year.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:37 am

It depends on how much you listen. I'm in the car roughly 25 hours a month. An average audiobook seems to be 10-15 hours. So I have the 1 book/month plan plus I use the library. There aren't really other options.

penumbra

Post by penumbra » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:56 am

I borrow books on cd from library, then rip them and copy to my phone. Then I have an infinite time to listen to them. Lately I've been just downloading directly from library to Libby app on my phone for ones I can listen to in the course of a few weeks. They are usually renewable. It works really well. No need for Audible.

objectivefunction

Post by objectivefunction » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:05 am

I like to get books from the library, or listen to classic out-of-copyright books from LibriVox. The LibriVox books are read by volunteers, so sometimes they're not the most engaging reader, but there are some surprisingly good readers as well.

pondering

Post by pondering » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:40 am

https://librivox.org/ records works in the public domain to a set of mp3 files using volunteers.

"Free public domain audiobooks
Read by volunteers from around the world."

Listen
LibriVox audiobooks are free for anyone to listen to, on their computers, iPods or other mobile device, or to burn onto a CD.

I also recommend listening to podcasts of topics of interest.
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:45 am

1year23 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:22 pm
You can "borrow" audio books from your public library. It usually involves downloading an app and then the library sends the book to your app and you can listen for a pre-determined amount of time and then the book is "returned' to the library and disappears from your phone
+1

Many libraries also have audible books on CD, but a decent CD player is getting hard to find. You can also buy used audible books on CD on places like eBay.

If your public library system does not have a good selection of audiobooks you can usually join a different library system for a modest yearly fee. Around here libraries are by county. My wife pays about $40 a year to join a neighboring county's library system to get access to their audible books, including downloads, since they have a different selection than our county has.

If you work in a different county than you live in then you may be eligible to join that county's library system for free since your employer pays property taxes there, but that will depend on your local rules.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:07 am

In some cases, Audible versions of books are available as part of the Kindle Unlimited program through Amazon. Those books will have "Read and Listen for Free" instead of just "Read for Free" on the check-out button. They will show up both in the Kindle app and the Audible app.

Other Audible books are available as a discounted add-on to Kindle books that you purchase OR that you check out through Kindle Unlimited. In many cases, I will reserve a book through Kindle Unlimited, "Add on" (i.e. buy) the Audible version for $1.99 or $3.99, and then return the Kindle Unlimited book (to free up the slot in my Kindle Unlimited subscription). At that point I "own" the Audible version.

I have a separate account at audible.fr for French audio books, and I periodically turn that subscription on to get some discounted French audio books. A few times a year, they will send me "please come back" offer. The recent one was « DEUX livres audio offerts pour réussir sa rentrée ».

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:24 am

If you have an active Audible membership, in addition to the one credit a month that gets whatever book you want, they have a deal of the day, one book that's anywhere from $2-4. I wind up buying a couple of these a month also. 2 books for one credit sales (limited selection, but usually around 500 popular books) come around every couple of months as well. Occasionally they offer a book completely free for a week or so.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:33 am

audiobookstand.com carries the not-as-popular audiobooks, on the cheap. You're not going to find the bestsellers and hits there, but if you're ok with some high quality books that aren't super popular, they're a literal steal. HUGE collection.

Highly recommended. Everything I have bought there has been top notch - most of the time it actually is the Audible version.

alex_686

Post by alex_686 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:38 am

I will second the library system. On the comment that it is getting hard to find a decent CD player, what you do is rip the CD on your computer and then transfer it to the MP3 divide of your choice.

Another idea would be to subscribe to The Economist. It is a great general new magazine and they release the entire issue as a podcast. I think it is about 15 to 20 hours a week.

Liberty1100

Post by Liberty1100 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:17 am

I still suggest Audible. When you have their 1 book/month plan, you are also provided significant discounts of other books and credits. Say you have gone through a shorter book before the next credit, another credit or a particular book can be purchased. Another bonus is, if you don't like the book you selected, you can "return" the book and select another one instantly and get a full refund. I have done that a few times.

smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:54 am

I get all my audio books from my local library. Either CDs or electronic media. Audio books can also be borrowed via inter library loan.

iTunes can be used to convert CD media to audio files for listening on devices. I use Chapter and Verse to chapterize all the files for easy organization and listening. I use Mortplayer Audio Book for Android to listen to the books.
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:03 pm

Liberty1100 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:17 am
I still suggest Audible. When you have their 1 book/month plan, you are also provided significant discounts of other books and credits. Say you have gone through a shorter book before the next credit, another credit or a particular book can be purchased. Another bonus is, if you don't like the book you selected, you can "return" the book and select another one instantly and get a full refund. I have done that a few times.
I've had Audible for years, and love their service. As Liberty1100 says, you get discounted rates in addition to the one credit per month. The credit can get just about any book, even those $30+. They have the Daily Deal mentioned above. I get one per month for $1.95 to $3.95. They have their sales - up to 400 books for $5 each or 3 books for 2 credits. My wife and I share our account, so we have no problem using credits. But, if you find you're not using your credits (buying too many sale or daily deals, or just not listening as much), you can put the service on hold for 6 months, and won't be charged for credits during that time.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:12 pm

I borrow them from the public library using an app called hoopla. Costs nothing. You can also watch movies, listen to music, and borrow e-books that way.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:40 pm

alex_686 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:38 am
Another idea would be to subscribe to The Economist. It is a great general new magazine and they release the entire issue as a podcast. I think it is about 15 to 20 hours a week.
If the OP is interested in other options than books, there are also many free downloadable podcasts. for example, Freakonomics Radio on the NPR has over 200 downloadable episodes.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

bradshaw1965

Post by bradshaw1965 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:47 pm

Watty wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:45 am
1year23 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:22 pm
+1

Many libraries also have audible books on CD, but a decent CD player is getting hard to find. You can also buy used audible books on CD on places like eBay.

If your public library system does not have a good selection of audiobooks you can usually join a different library system for a modest yearly fee. Around here libraries are by county. My wife pays about $40 a year to join a neighboring county's library system to get access to their audible books, including downloads, since they have a different selection than our county has.

If you work in a different county than you live in then you may be eligible to join that county's library system for free since your employer pays property taxes there, but that will depend on your local rules.
You can also join out of state libraries:

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2011/0 ... s-lacking/

Looks like Brooklyn has 23000 audiobooks.

I also use tunein.com at $7.99 a month with a selection of 80000 books but streaming only.

csm

Post by csm » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:56 am

I agree with several of the above comments re: Audible.

A few additional details to keep in mind:

You can pay the $14.95 per month but the maximum number of credits you can hold/rollover at one time is 6, so be sure not to lose any. You can also put your account "on hold" for up to 3 months once per year. So if you are building up to 6 credits and worried you won't use them quickly enough, a 3-month pause can help. I'm currently on a 3 month pause because I find I purchase many of the "deal of day" for $1.95 to $3.95 and rarely find myself using my $14.95 credit unless I spring for a new release best seller.

You can save if you are a member of Amazon Prime and start your Audible subscription with 90-days free.

If you are certain you will use it for a year or more, you can save by paying a full year up front for $149.50 which is basically two months free.

The deals and sales are excellent. I have purchased many for the $1.95 to $3.95 price as well as the 2 books for 1 credit sales.

The Kindle Unlimited subscription is brilliant for free audios with many of the books that are on Kindle Unlimited. You can search Amazon for books that are in Kindle Unlimited that have the accompanying audio for free. Just go to Browse Kindle Unlimited books and tick the box on the left that says "ebooks with Audible Narration."

If you decide that Kindle Unlimited is a good value for you, you can save money a couple times a year when they offer a longer-term subscription for up to 40% off. I'm currently on a 24-month subscription to KU that is only $5.99 per month having purchased during the July Prime sale. I believe they will have a similar sale on Black Friday. This is an excellent value to both read ebooks and listen to audio books - as long as there are titles of interest to you.

Lastly, the library recommendation is good. My public library provides free use of Overdrive so I can borrow free ebooks and audio books online with my library card.

I love listening to audiobooks on my commute to work as well as when I'm out walking for fitness or at the training center.

prettybogle

Post by prettybogle » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:14 am

Thank you everyone for very good information. It looks brooklyn public library is the best choice - both financially and selections.

vested1

Post by vested1 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:53 am

Not to change the subject, but some may be interested to find out that the Library of Congress offers a free audio book program to those who are unable to read due to blindness or disability. After I found this out I signed up my 94 year old MIL, who is blind and in a care home. They sent her a device for listening to the recordings and have been very generous with keeping her stocked with listening material. They have virtually every book recorded, so the choices are endless. The client is able to pick and choose which books to receive, and sends them back, postage free when they are done listening. My wife picks out the books for her mother.

If you know someone in this situation you may want to pursue signing them up.

csm

Post by csm » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:39 am

fillary wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:10 am
i hate audio books 'cause usually the voice of the reader is terrible
I have rarely listened to a narrator that was awful. On Audible / Amazon you can hear an excerpt of the audiobook to determine whether the voice appeals to you.

I have listened to audiobooks where I felt the narrator has actually 'made' the experience, where I question whether or not I would have enjoyed reading the book as well as listening. Sometimes I will search on a narrator's other works to find my next book to listen to, because he or she was that good.

Point

Post by Point » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:29 am

I've been using audible for 15-20 years. I signed up
For an offer of two books a month at $20/month. Very satisfied. Lots of years of driving or working on the house or yard and listening. Find a plan you can afford and do it.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:41 am

fillary wrote:
Apparently there is no crossover between the 200+ books I've listened to, and however many you did. I've listened to one that was a mediocre quality recording, and one narrator that didn't fit the material, but the rest have all ranged from quite good to amazing. Some even have ensemble casts. A couple of books--The Martian and A Brief History of Seven Killings both come to mind--rank among the best performances of any type I've ever experienced.

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:32 am

csm wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:39 am
fillary wrote:
I have rarely listened to a narrator that was awful. On Audible / Amazon you can hear an excerpt of the audiobook to determine whether the voice appeals to you.

I have listened to audiobooks where I felt the narrator has actually 'made' the experience, where I question whether or not I would have enjoyed reading the book as well as listening. Sometimes I will search on a narrator's other works to find my next book to listen to, because he or she was that good.
+1

I've listened to some pre-Audible audiobooks where the narrator was horrible. Audible books, OTOH, tend to pick semi-decent to excellent narrators. It's up to the listener to hear the audio snippet on the Audible site to determine if they like the narrator's voice.

There are some books I won't read in written form because the narrators are so phenomenal... I don't want to miss out on the auditory experience. The narrators have legions of fans just like the authors do.

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:19 pm

csm wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:39 am
fillary wrote:

I agree totally. There are lots of books where the reader greatly added to my enjoyment of the experience. John Lee and Simon Vance come to mind as exemplary narrators.

I will say that some books themselves don't work as well via audio due to the complexity of the book. An example of this would be a detailed non-fiction book with lots of graphs, tables, etc. I decided George R. R. Martins Fire & Ice books were better read, than listed to, mostly because there are so many characters and it's easier keeping track with the book by knowing proper spelling and having the appendix. Though, the narrator, Ray Dotrice, is really good, and I would probably enjoy listening to the books if I "re read" them.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:46 pm

vested1 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:53 am
Not to change the subject, but some may be interested to find out that the Library of Congress offers a free audio book program to those who are unable to read due to blindness or disability. After I found this out I signed up my 94 year old MIL, who is blind and in a care home. They sent her a device for listening to the recordings and have been very generous with keeping her stocked with listening material. They have virtually every book recorded, so the choices are endless. The client is able to pick and choose which books to receive, and sends them back, postage free when they are done listening. My wife picks out the books for her mother.

How does this work? Do you just sign up on the Library of Congress website?
Gordon

Whakamole

Post by Whakamole » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:59 pm

gkaplan wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:46 pm
vested1 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:53 am

How does this work? Do you just sign up on the Library of Congress website?
It looks like this is the home page for this program: https://www.loc.gov/nls/

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:06 pm

Thank you for your quick response.
Gordon