Can not decide between washing machines

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
misterno

Can not decide between washing machines

Post by misterno » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:32 pm

I went to the local library and took a picture of the washing machine section of consumer reports

[Link to content in excess of copyright fair use removed by admin LadyGeek]

Number 1 is Samsung WF42H5200AW which is surprisingly very cheap $549 plus tax plus hoses and free installation so total $612

Number 2 Kenmore 41262 Price is 549.99 but I did not check other expenses

Number 3 LG wm3670hwa Price is 809 plus tax plus hoses plus free installation so total $830
--------------------------

All these prices are from Lowes because I am planning to buy this coupon at ebay $60 off $400 at Lowes selling for $1.12

Also, I will be using my Citi costco card to get the additional 2 year warranty

I already thought about Speed Queen but $1,450 was out of my range

Any recommendations?

sport

Re: Can not decide between washing machines

Post by sport » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:52 pm

misterno wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:32 pm
Costco also sells appliances. Did you check there for prices?

misterno

Post by misterno » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:53 pm

sport wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:52 pm
misterno wrote:
Costco also sells appliances. Did you check there for prices?
yes I did but they are expensive and none of them is listed in consumer reports

Gray

Post by Gray » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:57 pm

This past spring, we bought the LG WM9000HVA washer washer and matching LG DLEX9000V dryer along with two pedestal drawers WDP5V (one for each--to save our backs). The prices have dropped considerably since then for these models, and we bought them on sale from Lowes, along with a Lowes 5 year warranty.

We consulted consumer reports. My wife loves them.

My advice, do the dryer vent hookup yourself. With materials you buy.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:23 pm

Had to replace the circuit board in my Samsung washer after 2 years for $300. Oh, and it has the exploding drum feature as well. Don't recommend Samsung.

CFIT

Post by CFIT » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:25 pm

We bought a new Samsung washer (WF363BTBEUF) five years ago when we moved into our house. Three years later the gasket that seals the door developed a tear and had to be replaced.

At the same time we bought a Samsung refrigerator that, though poor design, freezes over the water drain and requires a periodic defrost of both the fridge (on top) and the freezer (on the bottom). We discovered that this was a known problem with Samsungs and there had been a class action suit about it. The ice cube maker stopped working but I decided it was less aggravation just to use ice cube trays.

The over-the-range Samsung microwave that came with the house has failed with the "5E" or "SE" error several times. Youtube showed me how to take the panel apart and reset the unit but I never had this problem with other microwaves.

So far my Samsung dryer, Samsung tv, Samsung dishwasher and Samsung oven are working normally but I don't expect that I'll ever purchase another Samsung appliance or device. The ongoing corruption scandals with Samsung back home in Korea combined with my appliance problems give me a very dark view of this company.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:45 pm

Consumer Reports is a poor resource. Many of their recommended products have poor reliability. A durable good that works great for only 6 to 12 months is worthless to me. I've been burned by CR when the internet would have guided me well.

Try researching the internet for problems with models you're looking at and then make your decision.

Good luck,

JT

Gray

Post by Gray » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:51 pm

I would stay away from Samsung appliances. Pick your review source--LG kept coming up at the top when it came to washers and dryers.

Anyhow, we have had zero issues.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:00 pm

misterno wrote:
Any recommendations?
Who do you have repair your washing machine when it breaks down? Call them up and ask which ones they rarely work on, i.e. which break down the least. Repair people who work on dozens of these things a week or more are excellent sources of information. Also ask which brands they service. There are a lot of black holes through our country where you can buy LG products but if you have to order a part, you are out of luck. I went without a refrigerator for six months due to that fact and that is why I will never buy anything LG again even if Consumer Reports says they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

nativenewenglander

Post by nativenewenglander » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:35 pm

We purchased a Speed Queen washer and drier after our old set Bosch pair died. The repair guy said he owns Speed Queen, there are no circuit boards in these machines. Three years and no problems, we've talked to others that love them too.

Ruprecht

Post by Ruprecht » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:40 pm

nativenewenglander wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:35 pm
We purchased a Speed Queen washer and drier after our old set Bosch pair died. The repair guy said he owns Speed Queen, there are no circuit boards in these machines. Three years and no problems, we've talked to others that love them too.
We are also happy with our Speed Queen.

wallygator

Post by wallygator » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:00 pm

speed queen

sls239

Post by sls239 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:12 pm

My advice for anyone getting a front loader -

Make sure your floor is strong and hard. Make sure the front loader is completely level from side to side and front to back. Make sure they remove the entirety of the stabilizing kit, and if you ever choose to move the front loader (which I don't recommend), re-install the stabilizing kit.

Don't use too much detergent, and even more important, don't use too much fabric softener. Leave the door ajar. If there's a dispenser drawer, go ahead and pull it out and let it air dry.

EagertoLearnMore

Post by EagertoLearnMore » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:18 pm

I believe past personal experience plays a major role in determining what you buy for the next washer. After very bad experiences with KitchenAid washer, we purchased LG and have had absolutely no problems for years. Yes, do keep the door open to prevent mold. Run the "tub clean" cycle if your machine has one, and no drain and clean the filter at the bottom left side of the front of the machine. Take care of simple maintenance and I wish you lots of luck with your new machines.

texaspapas

Post by texaspapas » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:03 pm

Stay away from Samsung, my family has had a lot of problems with theirs. The others seem like good choices. Went with a SQ top loader myself, been very satisfied with getting my very dirty beach/outdoors clothes clean, but sometimes a front loader would be handy for big blankets and stuff. Or so they say.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:37 pm

I'll add that we bought LG based on my wife's parent's experience. Ours have been no problem for 6 years. Her parents ended up having to replace their wash after ten years.

It might not be speed queen, but better than Samsung...

JT

mfng

Post by mfng » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:02 pm

I've also had problems with Samsung -- sent my washer back due to the exploding washer recall. Then the heating element in my dryer (just over a year old, conveniently just out of warranty) went out. We got a Maytag and have been very happy with it.

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:16 pm

We have Samsung TV, dishwasher, and dryer. No problem with the TV. Dishwasher needs to be unplugged (to reset computer) before each load, and oftentimes fills then empties for no apparent reason. (Yes, I've gone thru YouTube, diagnostic websites, etc. No joy.) The lower spray arm is basically friction fit to the retainer, and pops off as it wears. I've been able to keep it going using super-glue coating to slightly enlarge the diameter so the arm stays snapped in.

Dryer has a pulley that turns the belt that rotates the drum. The pulley is undersized, so the belt fails prematurely. They fixed that on later models but issued no recall for earlier ones. The pulley is press-fit on the motor and not easy to replace.

Bottom line, I will not buy a Samsung appliance in the future. They seem built to a cheap price point, for which you pay in agony.
"...There're just so many summers, and just so many springs." -Don Henley "What'd ya expect in an opera, a happy ending?" -Bugs Bunny

vrex

Post by vrex » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:32 pm

Speed Queen. 10 maybe 12 years trouble free. Quality costs more...but does it really?

bzcat

Post by bzcat » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:51 pm

Also Speed Queen. Came with a 5 year warranty standard.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:53 pm

Another vote for the Speed Queens. I have them (washer+dryer) and they are great.

Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:16 am

bottlecap wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:45 pm
Consumer Reports is a poor resource. Many of their recommended products have poor reliability. A durable good that works great for only 6 to 12 months is worthless to me. I've been burned by CR when the internet would have guided me well.

Try researching the internet for problems with models you're looking at and then make your decision.

Good luck,

JT
I absolutely agree. We bought the highest rated cooktop and oven recommended by Consumer Reports. They were Electrolux, glad to share model numbers if anyone is interested. However, those models are no longer being made.

They gave us over 5 years of grief and the extended warranty, purchased through Lowes, was a joke. Two control boards were replaced on the oven and our wall was damaged when the oven was pulled in and out for repairs ( neither the warranty or repair companies covered the damage ).

One burner on the cooktop kept everything at a rolling boil, even on the lowest setting. Lots of attempted repairs but no solution. Both appliances were expensive.

On the other hand, we bought our Whirlpool washer and dryer combo for a very low price - $200 - at a garage sale where the owners were transferred out of state within a year of purchasing the washer and dryer set.

We knew practically nothing about the brands or models but the price was too good to pass up. Those appliances have performed wonderfully for at least 10 years, probably longer.

The washer is an Ultimate Care II and the dryer is a Whirlpool gold with Accu-Dry Sensor. Both models have far too many settings than we need but that's no big deal- we simply ignore all but the basic settings.

Of course there were No warranties, limited or otherwise. We thought that was risky but I'm glad we took our chances.

It seems that getting a decent appliance is often a toss of the die. In any case, I'm wary of Consumer Reports.

Teague

Post by Teague » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:22 am

misterno wrote:

Any recommendations?
I agree $1450 certainly is too much to pay for a new washer!

That's why I bought my Speed Queen new-in-box for $899 plus tax a few months ago, at the local discount appliance store.
Semper Augustus

Messy_Orchid_51

Post by Messy_Orchid_51 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:22 am

I replaced an older stack with LG front loading washer and dryer.

They have performed well over the past 4 years.

Front loading washers do require some extra attention. Water will collect in the door seal and promote mold growth if you fail to wipe down after each use and run a monthly cleaning cycle.

slow n steady

Post by slow n steady » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:51 am

Teague wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:22 am
misterno wrote:

Any recommendations?

That's why I bought my Speed Queen new-in-box for $899 plus tax a few months ago, at the local discount appliance store.
Yep. I paid about $900 for mine a few months ago as well. Also at a local store.

TT

Post by TT » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:32 am

misterno wrote:
I went to the local library and took a picture of the washing machine section of consumer reports

Number 1 is Samsung WF42H5200AW which is surprisingly very cheap $549 plus tax plus hoses and free installation so total $612

Number 3 LG wm3670hwa Price is 809 plus tax plus hoses plus free installation so total $830

All these prices are from Lowes because I am planning to buy this coupon at ebay $60 off $400 at Lowes selling for $1.12

Any recommendations?
Two years ago I used the same process and purchased a consumer report best buy LG washer.
Washer is the worst appliance I have ever owned. Two new control circuits under warranty, water overfills if you add garments ( LG's solution - we know there is an issue do not add garments), clothes occasionally have soap residue on them, and the clothes are extremely wrinkled if you use high spin. Parts for LG are not readily available when needed was appliance techs answer to 15 day wait for a new part.

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:46 am

Consider getting stainless steel braided hoses for longevity. I always do.

SleepKing

Post by SleepKing » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:05 am

slow n steady wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:51 am
Two years ago I used the same process and purchased a consumer report best buy LG washer.
Washer is the worst appliance I have ever owned. Two new control circuits under warranty, water overfills if you add garments ( LG's solution - we know there is an issue do not add garments), clothes occasionally have soap residue on them, and the clothes are extremely wrinkled if you use high spin. Parts for LG are not readily available when needed was appliance techs answer to 15 day wait for a new part.
We have 3 year old 'max capacity' top loading washer and dryer from LG. Dryer roller (or something like that) needed replaced this year out of warranty, otherwise things have been fine. The tech did mention that even though they are a 'certified LG repair place', parts can be very expensive and have long wait times. Further, if you try and repair on your own, LG has been known to 'mistakenly' send the wrong part to distribute...

However, we chatted with a few different appliance repair people through that repair and a few other appliances we had serviced under a home warranty. They were ALL VERY CLEAR about modern day appliances. They are really not built or meant to last for the 'long term'. If you get 6-8 years out of them that is what is expected. They are disposable products. They indicated this was true for washer-dryer, refrigerators, microwave, dishwashers, etc... Doesn't matter brand or expensive model. You pay more for larger capacities, stainless steel and aesthetics, and extra 'features'. Do not equate a higher price with better reliability or performance. A few did mention the glaring exception is Speed Queen washer and dryer, those are expect to last long term.

Take that for what you will, but there's a reason mom/dad and grandma/grandpa complain that 'they don't make 'em like they used to'....because most certainly it's true!

Best,
Sleepy

hightower

Post by hightower » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:31 am

misterno wrote:

Any recommendations?
We've used LG front loading washer/dryers for years now. We bought a new set when we bought a condo in 2008. They were awesome and trouble free. Then we moved and sold them with the condo. Bought another set for our current house in 2012 and have been using them since. They are great and we've never had any trouble.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:53 am

My LG came with hoses, even though online store made me buy extra set.

Besides losing 3 cycles you probably never or seldom use, what else do you lose by going with a 9-cycle model? The $650 brings the cost closer to the others.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/LG-TWINWash-Co ... 1000144643
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-4-5-cu- ... Id=5544000
https://www.consumerreports.org/product ... ecs/#specs

I know some folks that bought the steam feature on both the washer and dryer, but they've never used either. I still don't understand the setting on either machine, and don't see a need for me.

BTW, the Kenmore looks like it was made by LG.

misterno

Post by misterno » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:34 am

Teague wrote:
misterno wrote:

Any recommendations?

Well I did not know that you can get Speed Queen that cheap locally

How do I find out if they have the same thing in Houston where I live?

onourway

Post by onourway » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:17 am

We have been very unhappy with our LG front loader we bought several years ago. No matter what we do the front seal holds excess moisture and builds up mold and mildew. The door is always left open unless we are running a cycle. We clean the tub and the seal regularly. We drain and clean the filter regularly. We won't buy another. May look into Speedqueen after seeing this thread. A few hundred extra bucks would be well worth it.

Prior to the LG we had an early generation Frigidaire front-loader that gave us no issues with far less attention than we give the LG and it lasted us 15 years.

jkg81

Post by jkg81 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:00 am

misterno wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:34 am
Teague wrote:
misterno wrote:

Any recommendations?

I bought my SpeedQueen washer from ProvenProducts in south Houston last year for around $800 if I recall. It replaced a Whirlpool Duet that was recommended #1 by Consumer Reports and which lasted me a whole 4 years before the electronics went out (for the 3rd time) and I scrapped it.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:03 am

bottlecap wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:45 pm
What do you want them to do? If they wait two years to issue the report, it's not going to very useful as the model might not be available new.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

cpumechanic

Post by cpumechanic » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:42 am

I have front load Samsung washer and dryer. At a little over 5 years the "spider" rotted away and the washer starts violently shaking and rubs on the front seal and ruins same. The spider is some kind of "pot metal" casting and when in contact with the stainless steel drum and immersed in water the dis similar metals cause the spider to corrode and one of the arms breaks.

This is a very common failure mode on "most" front load washers.

I did a WWW search and found several Youtube videos showing step by step how to disassemble the washer and replace the spider. You end up with the washer completely disassembled and pull the drum out of the unit. I spend several hours researching how to prevent re-occurrence and settled on painting the replacement spider with self etching primer , then a follow up coat of epoxy paint in hopes this would "protect" the cast metal in the spider. I spent about 1/2 day taking unit apart, and another 1/2 day re-assembling and was pleasantly surprised at how "simple" the access and repair steps were if you just watched the YouTube videos. No special tools needed.

Total cost of the repair parts (spider, front rubber seal and rear seal and one spider bolt that broke when attempting removal) was a approx $150.
I was happy with the cost of repair (when compared to a new unit). Unit is now working fine for the last 4+ months.

The dryer quit about 1 month later, and again I searched the WWW, and found simple trouble shooting steps and YouTube videos for my exact model.
The issues was open circuit on the main heat element, and Amazon had the exact element for $18,.

One of the Youtube videos showed how to remove the heat element without removing the main belt and drum and all access was after the front panel was removed. This was about a 3 hour job, one to disassemble, and then two more to replace the heat element, and re-assemble.

So.. in summary both my Samsung washer and Dryer "died" after about 5 years of use... but repair parts were available and excellent videos showing exact step by step repair processes are available since so many of these units have been sold.

When I replace these units.. I am not sure I repeat with a Samsung .. but I cannot complain about do it yourself repair methods/cost.

:D

Of course if you call a repairman for issues like I had, they double the cost of the parts, and charge a minimum of $100 for showing up in your driveway.

Good luck...

CPU
We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.

misterno

Post by misterno » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:46 pm

jkg81 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:00 am
misterno wrote:
Teague wrote:
misterno wrote:

Any recommendations?

I bought my SpeedQueen washer from ProvenProducts in south Houston last year for around $800 if I recall. It replaced a Whirlpool Duet that was recommended #1 by Consumer Reports and which lasted me a whole 4 years before the electronics went out (for the 3rd time) and I scrapped it.
if it is that cheap, it must be a top loader. I called various Speed Queen sellers and there is only one front load model and it is $1,499+delivery +tax+installation

So my options are

Speed Queen $1,499+delivery +tax+installation. 5 yrs manufacturers warranty + 2 years from CITI
Various machines from Costco 779 and up +tax (delivery and installation included) 2yrs warranty from Costco plus 2 years from CITI
Maytag at Best buy $629 +delivery +tax+installation. 1 yr warranty plus 2 years from CITI
----------------------------

I am looking for a quiet one. Unfortunately there is no way to tell which one is the quietest
Last edited by misterno on Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teague

Post by Teague » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:48 pm

misterno wrote:
Teague wrote:
misterno wrote:

Any recommendations?

I'd probably try searching the Internet for terms like Houston discount appliance, Houston appliance outlet, Houston wholesale appliance, and so on. Mine is a top-loader. Are you sure you really want a front loader? They seem like a lot of trouble, what with that ever-present moldy gasket problem, and bending over all the time.

Good luck. :)
Semper Augustus

misterno

Post by misterno » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:54 pm

Teague wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:48 pm
misterno wrote:
Teague wrote:
misterno wrote:

Any recommendations?

I'd probably try searching the Internet for terms like Houston discount appliance, Houston appliance outlet, Houston wholesale appliance, and so on. Mine is a top-loader. Are you sure you really want a front loader? They seem like a lot of trouble, what with that ever-present moldy gasket problem, and bending over all the time.

Good luck. :)
The reason I am not getting SQ top loader is because it has a agitator which tends to wear the cloths

misterno

Post by misterno » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:45 pm

What do you guys think about extended warranty?

Does it really work? or is it a scam?

Things I learned

All Sears washing machines have 1 year warranty

The only places I can find offering long warranties are Costco and Sams. They offer 2 years plus 2 years from CITI so total 4 years warranty

Cheapest front load in Sams is 699 + tax (includes delivery and installation) 2+2 = 4 years warranty

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/washer-fr ... roduct:1:6

Costco has this for 779 + tax (includes delivery and installation) 2+2 = 4 years warranty

https://www.costco.com/GE-4.5CuFt-Front ... 49747.html

I need to choose one. How would I know a washing machine is quiet or not?

CMLAW1

Post by CMLAW1 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:17 pm

misterno wrote:

Any recommendations?
Speed Queens are the absolute best and they are not $1450. They are $800.

misterno

Post by misterno » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:31 pm

CMLAW1 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:17 pm
misterno wrote:

Any recommendations?
Speed Queens are the absolute best and they are not $1450. They are $800.
$800 is the top loader with agitator

$1499 is the front loader

misterno

Post by misterno » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:01 pm

Another question

I found this Square Trade extended warranty of 5 years for $77 in Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/SquareTrade-5-Ye ... +appliance

What do you guys think?

Does this add 5 years to 2+2 that I get from Sams and CITI?

Teague

Post by Teague » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:46 pm

misterno wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:01 pm
Another question

What do you guys think?

From the link you provided:

"SquareTrade Protection Plans are only valid for new products purchased at Amazon within the last 30 days."
Semper Augustus

misterno

Post by misterno » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:55 pm

Teague wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:46 pm
misterno wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:01 pm
Another question

What do you guys think?

From the link you provided:

"SquareTrade Protection Plans are only valid for new products purchased at Amazon within the last 30 days."
Thanks, I missed that

So I think I will get the one from Sams with 2+2 years warranty

harrington

Post by harrington » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:08 pm

A hair off topic by my Mom and Dads Whirlpool Washer and Dryer is 35 years old. They still look brand new. Dad has had to fix them both a few times but that is amazing to me. My Whirlpool Washer and Dryer is 16 years old.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:15 pm

onourway wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:17 am
We have been very unhappy with our LG front loader we bought several years ago. No matter what we do the front seal holds excess moisture and builds up mold and mildew. The door is always left open unless we are running a cycle. We clean the tub and the seal regularly. We drain and clean the filter regularly. We won't buy another.
This can be a problem. I don't know if newer models have resolved this. We are able to prevent the mold by cleaning the tub regularly and leaving the door open, but it is a hassle.

JT

MOBY DICK

Post by MOBY DICK » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:20 pm

Just save yourself the aggravation and buy the SPEED QUEEN.

misterno

Post by misterno » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:33 pm

Just an update

I bought LG from samslucb 2+2 =4 years warranty

Paid 699+tax = 756 (Everything included)

BTW, I appreciate the comments on Speed Queen. I will keep in mind

Thanks all