Verify credit freeze is active?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
User avatar
Conch55
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:03 am

Verify credit freeze is active?

Post by Conch55 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:44 am

Other than having copies of the PIN receipts issued by each of the big three credit reporting agencies is there a way to verify the freeze is in effect? The websites seem to be limited to placing or lifting a freeze. I don't see an option for checking the status or verifying the freeze is active.

Inverted Pyramid
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:23 pm

Re: Verify credit freeze is active?

Post by Inverted Pyramid » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:05 am

You cannot use the Retirement Estimator if you blocked access to your personal information.

https://secure.ssa.gov/acu/ACU_KBA/main ... e=en&LVL=4

Rupert
Posts: 2398
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:01 pm

Re: Verify credit freeze is active?

Post by Rupert » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:10 am

You can also ask one of your credit cards for a bump in your credit limit. You'll get a letter back that says they couldn't access your credit file. They'll tell you which credit bureau they use and ask you to temporarily unfreeze.

Edited to note this: Also, I believe your credit reports will contain a statement to the effect that your file is frozen. So you could just pull your credit report once a year at annualcreditreport.com and verify that the statement is on there.

User avatar
HueyLD
Posts: 5047
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:30 am

Re: Verify credit freeze is active?

Post by HueyLD » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:13 am

Conch55 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:44 am
Other than having copies of the PIN receipts issued by each of the big three credit reporting agencies is there a way to verify the freeze is in effect? The websites seem to be limited to placing or lifting a freeze. I don't see an option for checking the status or verifying the freeze is active.
Pull a free credit report from each credit bureau and it will show that your credit is frozen.

User avatar
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Posts: 33784
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:33 am
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: Verify credit freeze is active?

Post by nisiprius » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:50 am

Yeah. Right.

Image

Notice that it gave me the error message circled in red before I had even selected any credit reporting company. I don't know if that means all three of them are unavailable... or if it just means annualcreditreport.com is hosed.

No, the error message doesn't change if I actually select a company. And if I go ahead and select a company--not Equifax, on the assumption that it's the busiest of the three--it just gives me a blank screen and locks up.

Your suggestion was a really good idea though.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

khh
Posts: 187
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:31 pm

Re: Verify credit freeze is active?

Post by khh » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:45 pm

This doesn't exactly answer your question, but it might be helpful =>

"In a few states, credit freezes expire after seven years. In the vast majority of states, a freeze remains in place until you ask the credit reporting company to temporarily lift it or remove it altogether."

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0 ... reeze-faqs

Edit: Details of all 50 states => http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card- ... a-1276.php

mhalley
Posts: 4978
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:02 am

Re: Verify credit freeze is active?

Post by mhalley » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:59 pm

I think you could use the automated phone system at the 3 credit agencies, or annualcreditreport.com

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 2790
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Verify credit freeze is active?

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:33 pm

Someone in one of the other threads mentioned you can try to sign up for creditkarma - they do a soft pull which I believe "will" be blocked by the freeze. Of course in order to this you have to trust creditkarma with your data (many do, but these days I'm leery of everyone).

drwtsn32
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:28 pm

Re: Verify credit freeze is active?

Post by drwtsn32 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:48 pm

Rupert wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:10 am
You can also ask one of your credit cards for a bump in your credit limit. You'll get a letter back that says they couldn't access your credit file. They'll tell you which credit bureau they use and ask you to temporarily unfreeze.
This isn't true from what I understand. Companies you have a current credit relationship with can still pull your report.

User avatar
lthenderson
Posts: 2202
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Verify credit freeze is active?

Post by lthenderson » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:08 pm

drwtsn32 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:48 pm
Rupert wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:10 am
You can also ask one of your credit cards for a bump in your credit limit. You'll get a letter back that says they couldn't access your credit file. They'll tell you which credit bureau they use and ask you to temporarily unfreeze.
This isn't true from what I understand. Companies you have a current credit relationship with can still pull your report.
This hasn't been my experience. I requested a bump in my credit limit this spring and got a letter saying it couldn't access it until I unfroze the credit bureau temporarily which I did and gave them a call back. They then were able to bump my credit limit while on the phone.

User avatar
FelixTheCat
Posts: 1454
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:39 am

Re: Verify credit freeze is active?

Post by FelixTheCat » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:48 pm

Apply for a credit card or a loan. See how far you get.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.

Messy_Orchid_51
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:47 pm

Re: Verify credit freeze is active?

Post by Messy_Orchid_51 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:55 am

Rupert wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:10 am
You can also ask one of your credit cards for a bump in your credit limit. You'll get a letter back that says they couldn't access your credit file. They'll tell you which credit bureau they use and ask you to temporarily unfreeze.

_____

I have requested and been granted an increase in credit limits with existing relationships and frozen credit.

Both credit card companies continue to update my FICO score on the statements as well.

YMMV

Rupert
Posts: 2398
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:01 pm

Re: Verify credit freeze is active?

Post by Rupert » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:53 am

lthenderson wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:08 pm
drwtsn32 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:48 pm
Rupert wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:10 am
You can also ask one of your credit cards for a bump in your credit limit. You'll get a letter back that says they couldn't access your credit file. They'll tell you which credit bureau they use and ask you to temporarily unfreeze.
This isn't true from what I understand. Companies you have a current credit relationship with can still pull your report.
This hasn't been my experience. I requested a bump in my credit limit this spring and got a letter saying it couldn't access it until I unfroze the credit bureau temporarily which I did and gave them a call back. They then were able to bump my credit limit while on the phone.
Companies you have a pre-freeze relationship with can do soft pulls without problem. But increasing your credit limit on a credit card typically triggers a hard pull. Even existing creditors can't do hard pulls after a freeze. This has been true for several different credit cards I use. I, of course, can't speak for all credit cards. Perhaps some companies would give you an increase without a hard pull.

blevine
Posts: 1670
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:57 pm
Location: Paradise

Re: Verify credit freeze is active?

Post by blevine » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:40 am

The info has been on the free credit reports for many years now.

User avatar
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Posts: 33784
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:33 am
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: Verify credit freeze is active?

Post by nisiprius » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:32 am

blevine wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:40 am
The info has been on the free credit reports for many years now.
Which are "temporarily unavailable."

Also, of course, if you got a free credit report recently, before you froze your credit, you can't get another one right now just to verify that the freeze took.

All the credit agencies' websites have been acting flaky and spitting out so many error messages and crashing, locking up, displaying white screens and so forth that I don't think anyone can be very sure whether or not their credit freeze really "took." But of course, there's probably not much harm in waiting a few weeks to check. The breach occurred in mid-May or earlier so our data has already been exposed for about four months, how much harm can another week or two do? :(
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

User avatar
flamesabers
Posts: 1207
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:05 pm
Location: Rochester, MN

Re: Verify credit freeze is active?

Post by flamesabers » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:12 am

FelixTheCat wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:48 pm
Apply for a credit card or a loan. See how far you get.
I tried this after putting a fraud alert on my credit reports as well as signing up for the free monitoring with Transunion and Experian. Once I completed the application for the credit card, the issuer said they'll notify me in 7-10 business days as to whether my application has been approved or not (versus making a decision instantaneously). Also, right after I submitted the application I got texts and emails from TransUnion and Experian that a new hard inquiry has appeared on my credit report and I should verify if it is legitimate.

rkhusky
Posts: 4205
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:09 pm

Re: Verify credit freeze is active?

Post by rkhusky » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:31 am

khh wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:45 pm

Edit: Details of all 50 states => http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card- ... a-1276.php
The list is 10 years old.
This list is a bit newer:
http://www.ncsl.org/research/financial- ... tutes.aspx

User avatar
HueyLD
Posts: 5047
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:30 am

Re: Verify credit freeze is active?

Post by HueyLD » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:40 am

nisiprius wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:32 am
blevine wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:40 am
The info has been on the free credit reports for many years now.
Which are "temporarily unavailable."

Also, of course, if you got a free credit report recently, before you froze your credit, you can't get another one right now just to verify that the freeze took.

All the credit agencies' websites have been acting flaky and spitting out so many error messages and crashing, locking up, displaying white screens and so forth that I don't think anyone can be very sure whether or not their credit freeze really "took." But of course, there's probably not much harm in waiting a few weeks to check. The breach occurred in mid-May or earlier so our data has already been exposed for about four months, how much harm can another week or two do? :(
I pull a free credit report every four months. So, I get one from each of the big three every year.

And yes you will see a statement indicating that your credit is frozen on the report.

I have no idea why the system for free credit report request is so flaky. In about 1/3 of the time it tells me to fill out the form and mail it in. I guess they don't want to give out free credit report easily. However, it usually takes less than two weeks to receive the report by mail. No big deal.

blevine
Posts: 1670
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:57 pm
Location: Paradise

Re: Verify credit freeze is active?

Post by blevine » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:10 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:32 am
blevine wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:40 am
The info has been on the free credit reports for many years now.
Which are "temporarily unavailable."

Also, of course, if you got a free credit report recently, before you froze your credit, you can't get another one right now just to verify that the freeze took.

All the credit agencies' websites have been acting flaky and spitting out so many error messages and crashing, locking up, displaying white screens and so forth that I don't think anyone can be very sure whether or not their credit freeze really "took." But of course, there's probably not much harm in waiting a few weeks to check. The breach occurred in mid-May or earlier so our data has already been exposed for about four months, how much harm can another week or two do? :(
This is the proverbial locking the barn door after the horses left.
I froze years ago, and have been getting free credit reports for a few years.
And each year, I am re-confirmed that the freeze is still in place, and that nobody has gotten around the freeze.
Note that the freeze does prevent new creditors from seeing the report, but does not stop someone from reporting
bad info to the Eq/Exp/TU. If some lender makes a loan in your name without checking your credit or despite not being able to
check your credit, they can still go ahead and report the new loan (and non-payment) to the big 3. Freeze is not perfect and you still need
to monitor, though the risk is greatly reduced since few lenders would make a loan without access to your report.

Post Reply