Air Berlin fiasco

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
kmurp

Air Berlin fiasco

Post by kmurp » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:18 am

Wife and I are supposed to be leaving Boston to Florence on Air Berlin Saturday. The company in in bankruptcy and pilots are calling in sick in large numbers. Our outbound flight has been cancelled the past two days and the return flight looks to be permanently cancelled. That is, the route will no longer exist for our return flight. Customer service is unreachable. I'm posting this for any ideas from the forum on what to do.

oldcomputerguy

Re: Air Berlin fiasco

Post by oldcomputerguy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:28 am

kmurp wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:18 am
Wife and I are supposed to be leaving Boston to Florence on Air Berlin Saturday. The company in in bankruptcy and pilots are calling in sick in large numbers. Our outbound flight has been cancelled the past two days and the return flight looks to be permanently cancelled. That is, the route will no longer exist for our return flight. Customer service is unreachable. I'm posting this for any ideas from the forum on what to do.
Check with the credit card company you used to pay for the trip to see if you have any recourse with them.
Anybody know why there's a 20-pound frozen turkey up in the light grid?

metacritic

Post by metacritic » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:29 am

I'm so sorry. I've only dealt with a comparable situation with an African airline for a flight between two neighboring countries. The tickets were a loss, the airline never flew again, and we paid for new tickets out of pocket without prospect of reimbursement.

I am sure the comparison is a poor one, but it sounds as if you might face the prospect of giving up on the trip or rebooking via another airline at significant cost. Someone who knows EU bankruptcy law can advise about your hopes of being made whole.

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:09 am

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:28 am
kmurp wrote:
Check with the credit card company you used to pay for the trip to see if you have any recourse with them.
+1

If you bought travel insurance you should check with that company too before you make a credit card claim.

It would be good to check on the Flyertalk boards to see what they suggest.

http://www.flyertalk.com/

The EU rules for things like bumping and canceled flights are much better than US rules so I would start reading up on those too.

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:18 am

kmurp wrote:
OP, did you buy the tickets prior to August 15th or after? If after and your flights get cancelled, you can file a claim under European law to get reimbursed. If prior, you have to go through your credit card and do a chargeback which, I suspect, would get approved. At this point, I wouldn't fly Air Berlin anyway, but especially not with the prospect of no return flight. If you are definitely going to Florence, you'll have to find another carrier and book with them.

kmurp

Post by kmurp » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:52 am

BeneIRA wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:18 am
kmurp wrote:
OP, did you buy the tickets prior to August 15th or after? If after and your flights get cancelled, you can file a claim under European law to get reimbursed. If prior, you have to go through your credit card and do a chargeback which, I suspect, would get approved. At this point, I wouldn't fly Air Berlin anyway, but especially not with the prospect of no return flight. If you are definitely going to Florence, you'll have to find another carrier and book with them.
Bought prior to 8/15. Though we did do a minor 60 dollar seat upgrade two days ago that for some reason they charged us $300 for...
Wife just booked another airline. Didn't tell me the price😢