Are Cotton Blankets Good For Winter?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
heybro

Are Cotton Blankets Good For Winter?

Post by heybro »

Hello,
I am sorry this is a little off topic but I figured the smart people here might know.

Is an all cotton blanket going to provide warmth during cold winters? Now keep in mind I already have a big top blanket that has fill inside. I have a fleece blanket as well.

I used to have a polyester blanket too but it started to sort of break apart and it sort of shocked me how 'fake' the material was so I wanted to try something more natural next.

I like the idea of cotton because it is cuddly soft and natural. But, will it be too cold? It seems so thin.

Thank you in advance.
Mark
Swansea

Re: Are Cotton Blankets Good For Winter?

Post by Swansea »

Cotton will be too cold. Wool blankets are good for winter, but never put them in the dryer after washing them...they shrink.
mrc

Post by mrc »

We have all cotton blankets, finding wool scratchy and polyester a static electricity & dog hair nightmare. Plenty warm. Some are quite thick, but not heavy.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

It's hard to generalize since there are variables in climate, room temperature, and personal preference.

A blanket or comforter that is too heavy is not comfortable to me and other materials than cotton such as wool or down or even polyester fleece seem to be warmer by weight but there are other factors such as the type of weave. Cotton blankets tend to be light and have an open weave but there are heavier ones that provide more insulation, too. I sometimes sleep with just a heavy cotton flannel sheet during the summer, but my favorite spring and summer blanket is flat-weave linen:

http://www.brahmsmount.com/blankets.html

They have heavy cotton and cotton blend blankets, too. (Prices look high and do seem to have gone up, but they have sales yearly.)

I also have one of those fuzzy polyester fleece blankets some gave me that is very warm for the weight and works well for fall and winter. I don't like comforters very much. When it is very cold during the winter, I usually just close or almost close the window rather than leaving it open several inches instead of using a heavier blanket.

If you like your polyester fleece blanket but prefer a more natural material, then you can get cotton fleece blankets that are made in Portugal or Germany from various linen stores online:

http://www.thecompanystore.com/solid-co ... 8-R14.html

http://www.garnethill.com/cotton-fleece ... many/18461
Last edited by Pajamas on Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
alex_686

Post by alex_686 »

Flannel sheets come in cotton.
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Cotton is fine if it doesn't get wet.

However, if you want warmth without electricity, then a down comforter in a flannel duvet cover is heavenly warm and soft.

Yes, I know that "duvet cover" is from the Department of Redundancy Department.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Post by 123 »

Our favorite blanket material is acrylic, which are usually relatively thin and warm. There are a lot of "throw" covers made with acrylic but it's hard to find real blankets made of acrylic (traditionally they come with a "satin" border). Most blankets today seem to be made of polyester "micro-fiber".
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

When I returned home from the hospital in 1999, the nurses filled up pillowcases full of linens, including a cotton hospital blanket. I have used it until recently. I have never found a place to buy one to replace it. It's getting thin. It's ugly, but it isn't going anywhere.

However, I was recently in two hospitals, one for a couple of times, and each time I left, the nurses bundled me up in cotton hospital blankets. My linen closet runneth over. Now I am not so clueless that these "free" blankets were really free, but I am happy to have them.

The cotton blankets "breathe", and with a sheet keep me plenty warm here in Florida. I sleep under a ceiling fan going full blast, but I 'stay warm. Occasionally when we have a couple of days of our winter cold, Wife adds another blanket, you know, when the temp drops to below 70 degrees. :happy

Broken man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Tallis

Post by Tallis »

heybro wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:14 am Is an all cotton blanket going to provide warmth during cold winters?
Define "cold." I live in Minnesota, and our thermostat is set at 55 at night. No cotton blanket will cut it in January. We use vellux blankets, which are cheap, light, very warm, and machine-washable. They have a weird texture, though, sort of like auto upholstery material.
fposte

Post by fposte »

heybro wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:14 am Is an all cotton blanket going to provide warmth during cold winters? Now keep in mind I already have a big top blanket that has fill inside.
Does "top blanket" mean the cotton would be going underneath this, or are you trying to jettison that big blanket for something lighter?

If you are looking for serious warmth, a cotton blanket on its own isn't going to do it. However, a cotton fleece blanket like this is a lovely thing that might do you if you're looking for an underlayer or your room doesn't get that cold.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Find a nice alpaca blanket.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

heybro wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:14 am I like the idea of cotton because it is cuddly soft and natural.
As is a Buffalo hide.

Consider using one of those instead.
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

Wool all the way. Take care to read the care label, but a good wool blanket will last you the rest of your life. I'm partial to Pendletons if you want something that is widely available and nice quality. They have a National Park Series, if that is your thing :) :) :)

Alpaca is also fantastic. If you want to get fancy you can get icelandic wool too.

We even use light wool in the summer and wear wool when we run, wool's thermal properties can't be beat.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Pajamas wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:52 am It's hard to generalize since there are variables in climate, room temperature, and personal preference.

A blanket or comforter that is too heavy is not comfortable to me and other materials than cotton such as wool or down or even polyester fleece seem to be warmer by weight but there are other factors such as the type of weave. Cotton blankets tend to be light and have an open weave but there are heavier ones that provide more insulation, too. I sometimes sleep with just a heavy cotton flannel sheet during the summer, but my favorite spring and summer blanket is flat-weave linen:

They have heavy cotton and cotton blend blankets, too. (Prices look high and do seem to have gone up, but they have sales yearly.)

I also have one of those fuzzy polyester fleece blankets some gave me that is very warm for the weight and works well for fall and winter. I don't like comforters very much. When it is very cold during the winter, I usually just close or almost close the window rather than leaving it open several inches instead of using a heavier blanket.

If you like your polyester fleece blanket but prefer a more natural material, then you can get cotton fleece blankets that are made in Portugal or Germany from various linen stores online:

Is "cotton fleece" similar to cotton flannel?
If not, how do they differ?
These look very interesting.
I'd always thought of "fleece" as being made with synthetics.

Thanks.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

In Minnesota with cold winters. A good wool blanket is heavenly. Traps your body heat and keeps you toasty warm.

Cotton is fine at other times but not in winter..... for me.
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:45 pm
Pajamas wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:52 am It's hard to generalize since there are variables in climate, room temperature, and personal preference.

Thanks.

RM
Flannel is a brushed woven (or sometimes) knit fabric with a very soft hand. The fibers are spun and twisted into thread or yarn.Think flannel shirts and flannel sheets. Fleeces can be natural or artificial fibers but they are generally nonwovens and have some loft (i.e., depth) due to the random fiber orientation. They can usually be compressed for packing. Fleece is often a much heavier weight than flannel (except for light weight micro fleece).
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

cherijoh wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:12 pm

Thanks.

RM
Flannel is a brushed woven (or sometimes) knit fabric with a very soft hand. The fibers are spun and twisted into thread or yarn.Think flannel shirts and flannel sheets. Fleeces can be natural or artificial fibers but they are generally nonwovens and have some loft (i.e., depth) due to the random fiber orientation. They can usually be compressed for packing. Fleece is often a much heavier weight than flannel (except for light weight micro fleece).
Thanks.
I don't think I ever noticed "cotton fleece", but perhaps I just wasn't looking...

Another question: There is a SUPER SOFT "fleece" (I think) that first seemed to appear on baby clothing/blankets, but I think it is more widespread now.
What is that particular *soft* fleece called?
We'd like to get some for a young child who has just been diagnosed with some sensory problems, and parents were told that "soft" would likely be calming/soothing. Blankets would be nice, but so would clothing - especially pajamas - but only if both sides are "soft", so what is next to his body is soft, too.
Most flannel seems to be soft on only one side, or at least all the children's pajamas or shirts we've found thus far.

Many thanks.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:18 pm
cherijoh wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:12 pm

Thanks.

RM
Thanks.
I don't think I ever noticed "cotton fleece", but perhaps I just wasn't looking...

Another question: There is a SUPER SOFT "fleece" (I think) that first seemed to appear on baby clothing/blankets, but I think it is more widespread now.
What is that particular *soft* fleece called?
We'd like to get some for a young child who has just been diagnosed with some sensory problems, and parents were told that "soft" would likely be calming/soothing. Blankets would be nice, but so would clothing - especially pajamas - but only if both sides are "soft", so what is next to his body is soft, too.
Most flannel seems to be soft on only one side, or at least all the children's pajamas or shirts we've found thus far.

Many thanks.

RM
If you are looking at cotton, longer fibers are usually the best and are often labeled as pima, supima, or "Egyptian" cotton. I think the fleece you are looking for is microfleece since the fibers are very fine.

Flannel is only soft on one side because the fabric is brushed after it is already in fabric form.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

Thanks.

RM
I think the process of brushing the fibers to create a nap is similar in flannel and fleece.
Carson

Post by Carson »

The super soft fleece is called cuddle fleece or minky fabric, I have never seen it made into pajamas that has the texture it on the inside. A seamstress could probably make a pj set pretty easily.

One thing to note if you find the fabric is it will say that it is not suitable for children's sleepwear as it isn't flame retardant.
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

IMHO It's like layering clothing. One might work, or two, etc. A lot depends on how warm the room you are in is. I prefer cotton to acrylics.
Topic Author
heybro

Post by heybro »

Random Poster wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:28 am
heybro wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:14 am I like the idea of cotton because it is cuddly soft and natural.
As is a Buffalo hide.

Consider using one of those instead.
I do have a cowhide already!