Hospice Support Volunteer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
reggiesimpson

Hospice Support Volunteer

Post by reggiesimpson » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:23 pm

I am planning on becoming a Hospice patient support volunteer for the terminally ill in their own home. I know of only one person who has done this and i appreciated their perspective. It appears that i will be giving relief to the primary caregiver for a number of hours per week and keeping the patient company. While there is a required interview and 16 hr course requirement I am looking for the pro/con of doing this from experienced others.

Thank you,
reggie

S&L1940

Re: Hospice Support Volunteer

Post by S&L1940 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:35 pm

sadly been a caregiver over an extended period of time and had a close relative who was on hospice at home.
grueling, mentally and physically draining and exhilarating all at once
I would hope you are not required to simply dive in after the training period and get some experience along side a seasoned provider

Good luck and thanks for performing an essential task
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:49 pm

Thank you for your response. I am looking forward to it with anticipation.

praxis

Post by praxis » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:55 pm

I have been a hospice volunteer for 17 years. I took the training before I lost my parents in the hope that I could better cope with their loss. My experience has been the most wonderful journey. I hope you have the same experience. I recommend you take the training. You can always reconsider if you want to. Good luck. I respect your choice.

reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:58 pm

Thank you.

Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:39 pm

The upside is that you will offer great support for people in need.

The down side is it will be harrowing dealing with families at the end of their rope in pain and scared out of their wits.

I admire you for willing to take this on. You can make a wonderful difference.
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:11 am

Thank you.
There certainly appears to be a need. If i can bring some relief to the caregivers/family and help make the patients day a little happier i will be ecstatic.