Someone set up PayPal account using my email...

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
angelbell

Someone set up PayPal account using my email...

Post by angelbell » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:07 pm

Recently, someone set up a PayPal account using my email address with dot inserted.
Gmail does not count dots as part of the account name, and xx.xxx@gmail.com or xxx.xx@gmail.com is the same as xxxxx@gmail.com.
I received email from PayPal with a link to confirm that email address, which I never clicked to confirm. Despite that, I continue to get email receipts and notices from PayPal, and this person is using my email address as her log in username. I've tried contacting PayPal Customer Service (they have HORRIBLE customer service, btw) by email and phone, but am not getting anywhere. To my email , they replied with a generic emaill about fake and spoofed email etc. which has nothing to do with my issue. Their customer service representative I spoke to on the phone does not speak very good English, and say they cannot discuss someone else's account. All I want to do is to disassociate my email from someone else's account. Does anyone have any suggestions how I can do that?
Last edited by angelbell on Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

open_circuit

Re: Someone set up PayPal account using my email...

Post by open_circuit » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:16 pm

I very recently had the same problem with Alaskan Airlines. Someone registered there and bought tickets (I got their confirmation / receipt!). I called the airline, without satisfaction. The person who answered refused to understand that my.name@gmail.com and myname@gmail.com are the same, and that the other person must have put the right address in!

I hope you have better luck with PayPal.

Iliketoridemybike

Post by Iliketoridemybike » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:18 pm

Its no harm to you. Tag the emails as junk and go on with your life.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:19 pm

At the bottom of the PayPal login screen is a link for "contact." Several options then appear, including fraud. Maybe that will get you to a person who can help.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:24 pm

I've had several similar experiences with an account firstnamexxx@isp.com. Think james007@aol.com.

Mostly out of US setups of phone service in Scandanavia, twitter and facebook in Africa or Asia, but also paypal, other US phone companies, etc.

As you note none of the companies will do anything about it. As a last resort since its my email account being used I logon to their twitter or facebook as a lost password and then change the password. Since the new PW comes back to my email they're then locked out.

Note its not my email being hacked, it's my email address being used on the other services.

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:25 pm

I got a similar e-mail from an out of state dealership from someone who bought a GMC Sierra pickup. The difference in the email was the "."

apparently they just put in a fake e-mail address because they didn't want to be bothered.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:26 pm

I don't understand, if the person has the same name but Gmail doesn't "count" the dots, how can they have separate Gmail account from yours?

I had an email group with a typo in the name that went to the person's alter-ego with the same name in England. He wrote back to the group thread and politely asked to be removed, and we did. Could you try and email the person, explain you are getting their Paypal receipts, and ask them to consider changing their Paypal email address?

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:33 pm

There are only so many email addresses that can match, so I suggest composing a message explaining the situation and sending it off to all of them. You should get failure notices for the nonexistent ones.
Listen very carefully. I shall say this only once. (There! I've said it.)

angelbell

Post by angelbell » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:44 pm

As a last resort, I did try to log in and reset the password, but it asks for digits from credit card associated with that account which I don't have.
As knpstr mentioned, I think this person just put in a random email address.
I can't email that person as someone suggested, as it would just end up in my own Inbox.
Last edited by angelbell on Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:46 pm

aristotelian wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:26 pm
I don't understand, if the person has the same name but Gmail doesn't "count" the dots, how can they have separate Gmail account from yours?
They don't, they messed up putting the e-mail in paypal. I don't know how their account was confirmed. I think Paypal confirms by e-mail, maybe you can opt for a different confirmation method?
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

slbnoob

Post by slbnoob » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:47 pm

I receive notifications for someone's bank account; when they withdraw cash from ATM, or deposit cash, etc., complete with descriptions of amount, location, but never the full account number.

There is no link for me to unsubscribe. I've registered it as spam it and but still get it in my Inbox. Ignore it.

angelbell

Post by angelbell » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:55 pm

knpstr wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:46 pm
aristotelian wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:26 pm
They don't, they messed up putting the e-mail in paypal. I don't know how their account was confirmed. I think Paypal confirms by e-mail, maybe you can opt for a different confirmation method?
They don't have separate Gmail account, it's all my email account with or without "."

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/10313?hl=en

PayPal does not confirm by email. I never clicked to confirm the email when the person set up the PayPal account. Despite that, they keep sending me receipts and notices for that person.

open_circuit

Post by open_circuit » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:02 pm

While ignoring these is a potential solution, I can imagine the OP might some day wish to register for an account of their own, using their normal e-mail address. This is why I tried to contact the airline that had my e-mail associated with a different customer.
Last edited by open_circuit on Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:04 pm

angelbell wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:55 pm
I never clicked to confirm the email when the person set up the PayPal account. Despite that, they keep sending me receipts and notices for that person.
Doing a Google search, it seems like it has happened to others and there is no solution other than marking it as spam/junk.

It seems that PayPal won't take an email address off an account that isn't yours.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:52 pm

Repeatedly attempt to log in to the account until it gets locked. Repeat.

Eventually maybe they will get tired of always being locked out and delete the account.

mggray17

Post by mggray17 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:41 pm

I have the same problem with someone using my gmail name for Directv. I contacted Directv once and they removed the email from the account. It stooped the email for several months then started again. Now I ignore and delete.

tuningfork

Post by tuningfork » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:28 pm

I've always used an alias as my main email address but when gmail was still in beta I also grabbed a form of my real name at gmail as an alternate email, thinking it might come in handy. Forgot about it for a long time. When I checked it after several years I found several different people had entered it as their email address at various sites. I saw their taste in clothing from various retailers, airline travel itineraries, and numerous Facebook password reset emails. The doctor appointment reminders and children's activity notices from schools made me wince. I considered replying to those, but decided it was simply Not My Problem. Eventually I deleted that account since I wasn't actually using it other than to occasionally spy on these strangers' lives. I concluded that using my real name for an email account would be a bad idea. Perhaps one of them claimed it and are dealing with each others' problems.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:33 pm

Reset the password on them (since you get the emails), then log in and delete the account.

Post by 2015 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:15 pm

Interesting that you posted this. This week I got the most realistic phishing email I've ever received supposedly from Paypal relating to an Amtrak trip confirmation for an individual I've never heard of. There were several places in the email where I could click to cancel the trip or make corrections. Normally, I would immediately block such an email, but what made me stand up and notice was I actually did take an Amtrak trip earlier this year. It was the most sophisticated and realistic phishing email I've ever seen, using the same logo and confirmation format that Amtrak uses, even going so far as to copy the various fonts, borders, and fine print. Although I never click on links inside of email, it was the first attack attempt that unnerved me. Besides being a confirmation for an individual I've never heard of, the only two other tip offs that this was a phishing email were: (1) I don't have a Paypal account!; and (2) the email came from a "[link removed --admin LadyGeek]" <do not click this, accidentally, or otherwise>. Heads up, everyone.

nolesrule

Post by nolesrule » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:41 pm

Same thing happens on a gmail account using my first and last name, which I use for backup email. I have 3 people thinking it's theirs, 1 in Pennsylvania, 1 in Ohio and 1 in California. I've received all sorts of strange emails, from car maintenance appointments to masters degree program email lists.

Since I rarely ever use the account for real correspondence, I turned on an autoresponder that tells them they may have emailed the wrong person, since I live in none of those states.

When I receive an evite for something on the account from someone I don't know I always RSVP affirmative with a large guest count and leave a goofy comment.

Iliketoridemybike

Post by Iliketoridemybike » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:03 pm

KyleAAA wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:33 pm
Reset the password on them (since you get the emails), then log in and delete the account.
Might want to read up thread a few posts. She needs CC digits.

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:38 pm

angelbell wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:07 pm

I received email from PayPal with a link to confirm that email address, which I never clicked to confirm. Despite that, I continue to get email receipts and notices from PayPal, and this person is using my email address as her log in username.
Check to make sure it's actually PayPal your'e getting the emails from.

Hackers are notorious for sending out fake emails purporting to be PayPal.

Look for a return address like:

paypall.com
p.aypal.com
pay.pal.com
paypalUS.com
paypal.US

etc. etc.

Maybe you're getting a real email from the real PayPal, but the fake emails from fake PayPal is a scam that's been around for a long time.
Hope you work things out.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:46 pm

azurekep wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:38 pm

paypall.com
p.aypal.com
pay.pal.com
paypalUS.com
paypal.US

etc. etc.

Maybe you're getting a real email from the real PayPal, but the fake emails from fake PayPal is a scam that's been around for a long time.
Good point. Also note that number "1" looks similarly to small-case letter "l" in PayPa1.com.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:49 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:46 pm
azurekep wrote:

paypall.com
p.aypal.com
pay.pal.com
paypalUS.com
paypal.US

etc. etc.

Good point. Also note that number "1" looks similarly to small-case letter "l" in PayPa1.com.
That's a good one. Will have to remember that.

Ged

Post by Ged » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:50 pm

You might want to try bouncing the email back to PayPal. They might detect non-delivery and alert the account owner when they log in.

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/bounce-emai ... fications/

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:05 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (PayPal account fraud).
2015 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:15 pm
Interesting that you posted this. This week I got the most realistic phishing email I've ever received supposedly from Paypal relating to an Amtrak trip confirmation for an individual I've never heard of. There were several places in the email where I could click to cancel the trip or make corrections. Normally, I would immediately block such an email, but what made me stand up and notice was I actually did take an Amtrak trip earlier this year. It was the most sophisticated and realistic phishing email I've ever seen, using the same logo and confirmation format that Amtrak uses, even going so far as to copy the various fonts, borders, and fine print. Although I never click on links inside of email, it was the first attack attempt that unnerved me. Besides being a confirmation for an individual I've never heard of, the only two other tip offs that this was a phishing email were: (1) I don't have a Paypal account!; and (2) the email came from a "[link removed --admin LadyGeek]" <do not click this, accidentally, or otherwise>. Heads up, everyone.
I removed the link to keep readers from temptation. Please don't post links that are suspected to be malicious.

You can test websites with Norton Safe Web or Google's Transparency Report. In both cases, the domain came back as "untested". That means: Stay away, don't click on the link.

(Hint: It's an email address, I looked at the domain name.)
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:20 pm

2 different guys with the same name as mine has done this to me. some of the emails i get are obviously from people that they gave a fake email to so they wouldn't be bothered. but a couple weeks ago one of em ordered a pair of jeans from levis -- that makes no sense for giving out a fake email. i also struggle with what to do about it -- i love the idea above to rsvp with a large party!

one of them is on linkedin -- maybe i should try to get his email addy. :)

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:32 pm

Hard to imagine the person is not aware that the email address on a PayPal account that they have been using for a while is not theirs, but it seems possible if unlikely.

I have had someone use one of my email addresses inadvertently as only the domain names were different. The person turned out to be a scammer and identity thief in another country, but using my email address was not intentional or part of their scams. I ended up taking control of their email account as well to put a stop to it. (However, I don't think you could or should even try to take over their PayPal account. It might be a crime to do so even if they are using your email address.) I have also had several people use my primary email address by mistake for casual use but was usually able to correct that by simply emailing the business.

I think you could convince PayPal to let the person know that the email address on their PayPal account is not their own address. Even if the person knows and is running some kind of scam, that might make them stop using your email address, and if it was an accident and they are unaware, they would certainly want to change it. You might also forward the emails to PayPal's security department rather than their customer service department:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/s ... rt-problem

You could also simply mark the emails as spam or create a filter to delete them. The only real problem that I see that it creates for you is that you can't set up a PayPal account with that email address in the future and there is the possibility that someone might send money to it thinking that it is your account as the email address is sort of the account title that is used in identifying the account for payments instead of a number as with bank accounts.

angelbell

Post by angelbell » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:21 pm

azurekep wrote:
angelbell wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:07 pm

I received email from PayPal with a link to confirm that email address, which I never clicked to confirm. Despite that, I continue to get email receipts and notices from PayPal, and this person is using my email address as her log in username.
Check to make sure it's actually PayPal your'e getting the emails from.

Hackers are notorious for sending out fake emails purporting to be PayPal.

paypall.com
p.aypal.com
pay.pal.com
paypalUS.com
paypal.US

etc. etc.

The receipts and notices are from PayPal, and confirmed when I spoke to PayPal customer representative. PayPal's response is for me to contact Gmail and ask why I am getting somebody else's mail!?! Also, I am also getting receipts from Uber and other merchants addressed to the same person, so this person is simply using my email address to create accounts rather than an accidental mistype of email address.
The problem is that Gmail does not count dots as part of the account name whereas PayPal recognizes the dot. Secondly, PayPal does not require confirmation of email to validate the account. As several mentioned, the only thing I seem to be able to do is to filter all email sent to that address as spam and ignore it. :confused

Post by 2015 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:33 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:05 pm
This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (PayPal account fraud).
2015 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:15 pm
I removed the link to keep readers from temptation. Please don't post links that are suspected to be malicious.

You can test websites with Norton Safe Web or Google's Transparency Report. In both cases, the domain came back as "untested". That means: Stay away, don't click on the link.

(Hint: It's an email address, I looked at the domain name.)
Thank you for the direction. I certainly will, and will retain the Norton and Google links for future reference.

rolandtorres

Post by rolandtorres » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:45 pm

Your best bet is to get a hold of Paypal's legal team or the investor relations team if you're a shareholder and send a lawyer-ly sounding, non-threatening but "serious"' toned message asking them to remove your email. By snail mail if you need to. You can google for the emails or mailing address.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:42 am

KyleAAA wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:33 pm
As noted already:
angelbell wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:44 pm
As a last resort, I did try to log in and reset the password, but it asks for digits from credit card associated with that account which I don't have.
This week's fortune cookie: "You will do well to expand your horizons." Ow. Passive-aggressive and vaguely ominous.

InnocentAbroad

Post by InnocentAbroad » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:16 pm

Similar thing happen to me many years back. There is no option in the confirmation email to say that it is the wrong address. Trying to get in touch with PayPal customer service was difficult, and it was absolutely abysmal once I got through to someone.

I felt uncomfortable getting personal information about a complete stranger on the other side of the world, not to mention annoyed at being given the runaround by PayPal; every year or so I'd try and get my email address dissociated from their account. On several occasions PayPal said the best that they could do would be to block the email address, but that never worked for long, if at all.

At one point I even telephoned the guy to let him know PayPal was leaking his information. He denied all knowledge of the account, and no doubt thought I was trying to run some kind of scam.

After several years of this I filed a complaint to the UK Financial Ombudsman. They lit a fire under PayPal's feet and got the matter got sorted.

I still get an email about that guy every now and then. Not from PayPal but golf club, landscaper and such. Seems he still isn't sure what his email address is.

mouses

Post by mouses » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:42 pm

Why would gmail do such a stupid thing as ignore dots.

I suppose because it is so stupid that it doesn't let users turn off spam filtering. Cox broke their email system a few months ago and still hasn't totally fixed it. I still have people telling me some email they send me gets bounced, and Cox's no spam filtering option is now a no-op.

So I got a gmail account, only to find that gmail also imposes spam filtering, and both Cox and gmail throw normal email in the spam folder.

What is wrong with the designers of these systems.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:24 pm

setup a second email account, use it to setup a Paypal account.

Use that account to send or gift $1 to the email address in question. When you send $ via Paypal you can put in a little 'note' if I recall. Ask that person to contact you to resolve the issue.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:25 pm

knpstr wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:25 pm
I got a similar e-mail from an out of state dealership from someone who bought a GMC Sierra pickup. The difference in the email was the "."

apparently they just put in a fake e-mail address because they didn't want to be bothered.
small world. I love the truck. Runs great. ;-)