Secure File Transfer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
objectivefunction

Secure File Transfer

Post by objectivefunction » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:11 am

I am needing to send an insurance claim via the Internet, and I don't want to send the data as an unencrypted e-mail attachment.

I would be comfortable using PGP, but I think that would be too much to ask of the other side. I might even be willing to use google drive or something (even though it's not ideal), but I think it would be too much to ask for someone to create an account, etc.

I'm thinking of either:
  • Creating a password protected ZIP file by e-mail and following up with a phone call with the password. I'd prefer 7zip because I think it would be more secure, but may have to use ZIP (again because of IT proficiency issues).
  • Using some kind of secure file transfer service. Is there a website that you have used that you have reason to trust and recommend?

vinnydabody

Re: Secure File Transfer

Post by vinnydabody » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:38 am

Password protected zip sent via dropbox? Doesn't require the recipient to have an account.

E-fax?

MildlyEccentric

Post by MildlyEccentric » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:39 am

Depending on the software you have available, you might be able to use the encryption features in one of the MS Office products such as Word or Excel. There is also the ability to encrypt pdfs in some of the Adobe Acrobat products. Another issue to consider is the email scanning/security software at the company you are sending the file to. At companies where I worked previously, certain attachments types like zips or encrypted files were blocked or stripped from emails.

renue74

Post by renue74 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:41 am

My accountant typically sends me PDFs that are password protected. You can password protect the PDF and call to tell them the password.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:46 am

https://send.firefox.com/

Encrypts the file in your browser using local javascript and a password you supply, then uploads it to Mozilla servers and creates a link. Provide the link and the password (ideally through different communication mediums) to the intended recipient. They click the link, provide the password, the file is downloaded and decrypted locally on their machine, and deleted from the server. The password is NEVER sent over the wire, so Mozilla cannot view your data, let alone anyone else.

If what you need to send are Office docs though, email is fine. The encryption on the current XML-based Office file formats is incredibly strong.

dodonnell

Post by dodonnell » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:51 am

I've resorted to sending to non-IT people:
  • Zip File containing all documents/folders
  • Encrypted using "ZipCrypto" option of 7zip
  • password sent via text to cell phone
  • I've found that Windows 10, etc. can, using File Explorer, can decrypt ZipCrypto, but not AES256, just by clicking zip file
... interested in other best practices.

objectivefunction

Post by objectivefunction » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:35 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:46 am
https://send.firefox.com/

Encrypts the file in your browser using local javascript and a password you supply, then uploads it to Mozilla servers and creates a link. Provide the link and the password (ideally through different communication mediums) to the intended recipient. They click the link, provide the password, the file is downloaded and decrypted locally on their machine, and deleted from the server. The password is NEVER sent over the wire, so Mozilla cannot view your data, let alone anyone else.

If what you need to send are Office docs though, email is fine. The encryption on the current XML-based Office file formats is incredibly strong.
This looks very promising. Thanks for sharing!