Smart phones and data/text usage.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
midareff

Smart phones and data/text usage.

Post by midareff » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:39 am

Anyone take a minimal data plan and then turn off data at the phone just so it is available if you need it? We have not taken data or text prior to last week when I added it just to be able to use Uber, or use gas finder app services here in Miami. Typical phone bill for both of us is $36 on Consumer Cellular and I added a cheap data plan "just in case". Any thoughts on having a minimal plan and then turning it off, but knowing you can turn it on and use services if you need too?

donaldfair71

Re: Smart phones and data/text usage.

Post by donaldfair71 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:45 am

midareff wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:39 am
Anyone take a minimal data plan and then turn off data at the phone just so it is available if you need it? We have not taken data or text prior to last week when I added it just to be able to use Uber, or use gas finder app services here in Miami. Typical phone bill for both of us is $36 on Consumer Cellular and I added a cheap data plan "just in case". Any thoughts on having a minimal plan and then turning it off, but knowing you can turn it on and use services if you need too?
Thoughts? I have done this on many occasions and find it to be a valuable strategy to conserve data when I don't care/need to have it.

I have never done it as an all-intensive strategy for my phone use, but doing what you describe is just extending the strategy I've used at work and play when I didn't want bothered. Seems reasonable and pretty smart.

targ

Post by targ » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:46 am

midareff wrote:
Typical phone bill for both of us is $36 on Consumer Cellular ...
Did you mean $36 for both together, or $36 for both of you individually? If it's $36 each, look into Cricket. They have a $30 plan that has unlimited data (1Gb at "high" speed, then throttled but unlimited).
The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice. | -REBEC OF GINAZ

midareff

Post by midareff » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:34 am

targ wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:46 am
midareff wrote:
Typical phone bill for both of us is $36 on Consumer Cellular ...
Did you mean $36 for both together, or $36 for both of you individually? If it's $36 each, look into Cricket. They have a $30 plan that has unlimited data (1Gb at "high" speed, then throttled but unlimited).
$36.22 for both together including all taxes and fees. Wife uses maybe another dollar or so monthly @ 2 or 3 cents a minute to Bangkok to talk to her mom weekly, and uses a free internet app to talk to her (adult) daughters there. I'm not cheap, we travel nicely frequently but I hate to waste money on things that have little or no value to us. As the wise man once said, you fill the bucket up one drop at a time. Friends do the same with us as we do with them, want to talk or check in, just call.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:43 am

I've always been on an unlimited data plan. Back when talk minutes were the primary factor for phone plans, it wasn't that big of a deal to track minutes, as you could get a general sense of how much you were talking. But tracking data is for the birds. I have no idea how much data a given website is using, and in my opinion, it's way too much work to keep track over the relatively small savings over one of the cheaper unlimited plans.

dbr

Post by dbr » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:03 am

We have unlimited data, but the plan lumps together four different devices owned by three different people. It's just a fact of life in the 21st century.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:44 am

No, I've never turned off my smartphone's data. It's an essential part of my style and when I'm out somewhere and want to check something, I do.
Often there's WiFi somewhere, like Fenway Park or Home Depot, but cellular data is most helpful when needed, especially when driving with Google maps.
I'm on Google Project Fi and paid between $28 and $43 per month over the past year, depending on travel...
Attempted new signature...

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:51 am

Data is what makes a smart phone smart.

For $20 more dollars per month you could have a two phone plan on Total Wireless (another Verizon MVNO) and share 15GB of data. $57/month with auto pay.

With that, just leave Wi-Fi off and use your phone for whatever you want. GPS, stream music, video, etc.

Conserving data or not having data enabled just doesn't seem worth it. One of the key features of my phone is I want to use it. There are many plans that reward you for not using your phone. Data, text, calls. The ultimate reward is a $0 phone bill. One that you do not use at all or own.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead | | Want to buy something? Watch this first: https://vimeo.com/41152287

Sunsolar

Post by Sunsolar » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:11 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:51 am

For $20 more dollars per month you could have a two phone plan on Total Wireless (another Verizon MVNO) and share 15GB of data. $57/month with auto pay.

With that, just leave Wi-Fi off and use your phone for whatever you want. GPS, stream music, video, etc.

Conserving data or not having data enabled just doesn't seem worth it. One of the key features of my phone is I want to use it. There are many plans that reward you for not using your phone. Data, text, calls. The ultimate reward is a $0 phone bill. One that you do not use at all or own.
I agree with the other posters in that the minimal savings in turning off the data isn't worth the headache for me to constantly toggle between off and on when I need it. In my personal life, I do tend to need data multiple times a day.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'd like to hear more about total wireless. I have heard customer service not as good as Verizon and porting is not smooth. I've got iphone 5's, SE and 5S's in our plan that I would port. Any suggestions?

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:18 am

Sunsolar wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:11 am
I agree with the other posters in that the minimal savings in turning off the data isn't worth the headache for me to constantly toggle between off and on when I need it. In my personal life, I do tend to need data multiple times a day.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'd like to hear more about total wireless. I have heard customer service not as good as Verizon and porting is not smooth. I've got iphone 5's, SE and 5S's in our plan that I would port. Any suggestions?
Customer support at Total Wireless seems on par with other carriers. I would say their plans and process is not as intuitive as say Cricket Wireless.

I had many chat conversations with support before moving just to go over how to get our lines moved. I first ported one line and for one month had a single line plan. Then near the end of that plan I changed plans to the multi-line plan. With that plan in place, I ported in the second line to the account. It knew that I had a 2 line plan (insert 3 or 4 line plans).

I tell their support they need to get better at being more intuitive. None of the port stuff is terribly difficult, it just takes some leg work. Each carrier uses different Account/pin information that you need to port out of your current carrier.

I often think the support centers for all these carriers go to the same place and they just can tell what carrier you are with. Who knows.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead | | Want to buy something? Watch this first: https://vimeo.com/41152287

dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:11 am

midareff wrote:
Any thoughts on having a minimal plan and then turning it off, but knowing you can turn it on and use services if you need too?
If you turn off cellular data, you may not be able to receive/download texts. I get 500MB of data with Comsumercellular and I put a limit on my Moto G4 at 250. This stops any accidental uploads of photos and videos (caused by my carelessness, not because of the phone). If and when I get to that 250 limit, I give myself another 100MB. Repeat.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"

tfb

Post by tfb » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:17 am

midareff wrote:
It works. It's turned off on my phone most of the time.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.

midareff

Post by midareff » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:01 pm

The Wizard wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:44 am
No, I've never turned off my smartphone's data. It's an essential part of my style and when I'm out somewhere and want to check something, I do.
Often there's WiFi somewhere, like Fenway Park or Home Depot, but cellular data is most helpful when needed, especially when driving with Google maps.
I'm on Google Project Fi and paid between $28 and $43 per month over the past year, depending on travel...
Car has Navigation so Google Maps isn't needed.

Masterblaster

Post by Masterblaster » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:14 pm

midareff wrote:
I'm the poster child for Smart-phone frugality. If you aren't one to blab away constantly then look into Trakfone. If you are a light talker/texter/data user then their plans are made for you. I use it just as you describe. I keep the data off unless I need directions or some other application. Then I use Wi-Fi to download everything. Texts come through when data is turned off.

They have some very nice smartphones now. I got my Samsung Sky phone (16 gb memory,5.5 inch screen, 2,5 GB RAM, Android 6.0 ( for $100 on the QVC network of all places with one years worth of airtime) that works out to ~ ~$8/month. I must warn you though, some of the cheaper Tracfones are kind of primitive.

Check out this guy who reviews trackfones and deals below. That's where I found my $100 phone and years airtime deal. Also search Trakfone on QVC for those phone and years airtime deals.

https://tracfonereviewer.blogspot.com/2017/09/

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:32 pm

midareff wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:01 pm
This is true if your only priority is THAT you get to your destination, and WHEN is immaterial. Connected apps choose the most efficient route based on actual traffic, accidents, construction, etc. Just on my evening commute, Waze regularly (but unpredictably) chooses between one of three basic routes, and numerous sub-variations on those routes, that get more and more intricate the deeper into rush hour I leave. I'll often see messages like "This route has tolls. The fastest toll-free route takes 11 minutes longer", or conversely "This route has no tolls. Fastest route with tolls only saves 2 minutes" Fairly frequently (but not every time) if I forget to engage it, I wind up stuck in traffic and taking an extra 10-20 minutes to get home. One recent case added 90 minutes to my morning commute.

My time is very valuable to me, so this is a no-brainer. As a result, the Nav systems in two of our three cars (mine doesn't have factory nav) hasn't been used in several years.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:00 pm

Instead of turning off data on the phone, turn it off/on for the specific apps. For instance, I was concerned that my MIL might accidentally run up data charges. So, on her phone, cellular data is on for the phone but off for most apps. On my phone, cellular data is on for most apps but off for things like Netflix.

midareff

Post by midareff » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:05 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:32 pm
midareff wrote:
This is true if your only priority is THAT you get to your destination, and WHEN is immaterial. Connected apps choose the most efficient route based on actual traffic, accidents, construction, etc. Just on my evening commute, Waze regularly (but unpredictably) chooses between one of three basic routes, and numerous sub-variations on those routes, that get more and more intricate the deeper into rush hour I leave. I'll often see messages like "This route has tolls. The fastest toll-free route takes 11 minutes longer", or conversely "This route has no tolls. Fastest route with tolls only saves 2 minutes" Fairly frequently (but not every time) if I forget to engage it, I wind up stuck in traffic and taking an extra 10-20 minutes to get home. One recent case added 90 minutes to my morning commute.

My time is very valuable to me, so this is a no-brainer. As a result, the Nav systems in two of our three cars (mine doesn't have factory nav) hasn't been used in several years.
Understood... mine is factory NAV and in my experience is very effective. Since I have been in Miami for >50 years I only use it for route when I am unsure about the destination location. For out of town and out of country places I simply download the city/state/country on Here We Go app via wifi and then it has a complete street map of everything I have needed (Europe, Russia, USa and more) available off line. We are both retired, a couple of minutes difference on a route matters that not much anymore.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:49 pm

midareff wrote:
The Wizard wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:44 am
My F-150 has navigation as well. But I use my Android smartphone instead because it knows traffic conditions up ahead and dynamically reroutes when it makes sense...

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:51 pm

dumbbunny wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:11 am
midareff wrote:
Any thoughts on having a minimal plan and then turning it off, but knowing you can turn it on and use services if you need too?
If you turn off cellular data, you may not be able to receive/download texts...
Text messages are separate from cellular data. You will get text messages with cellular data turned off but you won't get emails, until you connect to WiFi...

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:54 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:51 am

With that, just leave Wi-Fi off...
I think OP is talking about cellular data, not WiFi data.
WiFi is generally free, except for certain hotels and airplanes that charge for it...

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:04 pm

No joke, my republic wireless phone bill is 18.50 per month and I use a flagship Moto z play phone that I don't turn off the data.

It costs more per month that the more data you use but I just do website browsing on the road and the bill is miniscule. It really is that good. I never turn off data to save charges but I do avoid streaming video if off wifi.

No data charge on wifi of course.

My prior bill on att with iPhone was $100 per month!

honda_solo

Post by honda_solo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:17 pm

Try mintsim.com They're an MVNO and use the T-mobile network so you'll need an unlocked GSM phone. Their unlimited talk & text plans range from $15 for 2 GB, $20 for 5 GB, and $25 for 10 GB. However you have to purchase one year in advance. I've been using them for the past five months and have been pleasantly surprised with their service and coverage, check them out. If you find a better/lower cost alternative please let me know!

https://www.mintsim.com/
Last edited by honda_solo on Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

tzukulika

Post by tzukulika » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:28 pm

I had retired last year and currently cannot justify the need for *unlimited* data. Voice and txt costs are small.
I own my phone, and I'm using the ATT network. I have been happy with a pay as you go from Airvoice Wireless. I have the data turned off by default.
When I'm out and about and I need traffic info I turn the data on. Minimal cost i.e. 20-30 cents.
As for google maps direction , you CAN download the maps locally for offline use(using Wifi, obviously). They will work as well with data off. Missing is the traffic info. ( which you can figure out using other apps).

After my current balance will go down , I'm looking maybe next at FreedomPop * ATT MVNO*.
They have a basic plan *free*. Tough to beat that.

Maybe I'm too much of a frugal person.

Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:07 pm

midareff wrote:
I used to do this, iPhones also have really good control over mobile data usage you can turn mobile data on or off on a per app basis to keep your usage down. Now I'm rocking the Verizon unlimited data plan (the one they introduced earlier in the year) and don't worry about mobile data usage. We went from using ~ 6 GB a month for 4 lines to ~ 20 GB / month.

Igetit

Post by Igetit » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:47 am

Yes, I do this with my Ting plan. I'm around free wifi enough where it's just not important for me to also pay for data for my older iPhone.
I turned cellular data off on my phone and also turned it off on my dashboard on Ting's site. I could always add data back to my phone but have never felt a need to do so. I'm new to Ting but didn't have data for years with my previous plan at T Mobile.
My Ting bill should be around $18 a month.
My husband's phone is a Motorola through republic wireless. No data for him either. His bill is $13 a month unlimited talk and text.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:09 am

We just changed to the tmobile plan , 55+. At $60/mo, unlimited talk, text and data and international access when travelling this was a no brainer for us. No worries, pain or fuss...it works.

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/t-mobil ... limited-55

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:19 pm

Masterblaster wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:14 pm

I'm the poster child for Smart-phone frugality. If you aren't one to blab away constantly then look into Trakfone. If you are a light talker/texter/data user then their plans are made for you. I use it just as you describe. I keep the data off unless I need directions or some other application. Then I use Wi-Fi to download everything. Texts come through when data is turned off.

They have some very nice smartphones now. I got my Samsung Sky phone (16 gb memory,5.5 inch screen, 2,5 GB RAM, Android 6.0 ( for $100 on the QVC network of all places with one years worth of airtime) that works out to ~ ~$8/month. I must warn you though, some of the cheaper Tracfones are kind of primitive.

Check out this guy who reviews trackfones and deals below. That's where I found my $100 phone and years airtime deal. Also search Trakfone on QVC for those phone and years airtime deals.

You may be able to beat that if you are able to go with Xfinity Mobile, i.e. already have Comcast internet. I already used minimal data on the AT&T network. Just switched to Xfinity. Bought what I consider to be a more-than-adequate phone, the LG X Power, on sale for $1 OUTRIGHT. My plan is now $2.76/'mo for unlimited voice, text and 100MB of data. If I exceed 100MB, it costs an additional; $12/mo per GB. Since I historically use less than 0.5GB/month and have never exceeded 1GB, I expect my phone to cost between $2.76 and $15.78/mo including all fees. That's on the Verizon network.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:30 pm

I used to do this but it just wasn't worth it. We had the 300MB AT&T data plan, but for essentially the same price we are now getting 4GB from Cricket and never have to worry about hitting our limits.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:13 pm

lightheir wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:04 pm
No joke, my republic wireless phone bill is 18.50 per month and I use a flagship Moto z play phone that I don't turn off the data.

It costs more per month that the more data you use but I just do website browsing on the road and the bill is miniscule. It really is that good. I never turn off data to save charges but I do avoid streaming video if off wifi.

No data charge on wifi of course.

My prior bill on att with iPhone was $100 per month!

Who is the actual cell service back end for Republic?

Masterblaster

Post by Masterblaster » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:41 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:19 pm
Masterblaster wrote:

You may be able to beat that if you are able to go with Xfinity Mobile, i.e. already have Comcast internet. I already used minimal data on the AT&T network. Just switched to Xfinity. Bought what I consider to be a more-than-adequate phone, the LG X Power, on sale for $1 OUTRIGHT. My plan is now $2.76/'mo for unlimited voice, text and 100MB of data. If I exceed 100MB, it costs an additional; $12/mo per GB. Since I historically use less than 0.5GB/month and have never exceeded 1GB, I expect my phone to cost between $2.76 and $15.78/mo including all fees. That's on the Verizon network.
Thanks for the heads up, I'm always interested in saving money. I took a look and see that you need to have Comcast internet which I don't have. regarding charges, I pay now on tracfone between (taxes and everything) $6.66 a month and $8.33 depending on how you count. My tracfone is perfect for me as I really don't talk much on it. Texts are cheap on Tracfone at $5.00 for 1000 texts. But I get more than enough (for me) talk minutes/texts/data just buying the $20 90-day airtime card. Everything rolls over and I have accumulated quite a back-log of minutes/texts. (Note that the $20 90-day airtime card is the $6.66 monthly rate). And I believe that if you let Tracfone auto-load cards that you could save another 10% or so (==> ~$6/month)

Looking at the Xfinity Mobile plan though, I had a question, is the 100MB/1GB cap on all data that passes through the phone or just through mobile hotspots ? The reason I ask is that I use my home Wi-Fi (or other Wi-Fi) network(s) now to download lots of stuff/surf on my phone. I then rarely use the wireless data when I'm out.

Can you use your home Wi-Fi network with the Xfinity Mobile phone and then not be charged against your cap ?

Also for what it's worth, Xfinity Mobile was out of the $1 phones. The others were quite a bit more (relatively).

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:12 pm

Masterblaster wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:41 pm
neilpilot wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:19 pm
Masterblaster wrote:

Looking at the Xfinity Mobile plan though, I had a question, is the 100MB/1GB cap on all data that passes through the phone or just through mobile hotspots ? The reason I ask is that I use my home Wi-Fi (or other Wi-Fi) network(s) now to download lots of stuff/surf on my phone. I then rarely use the wireless data when I'm out.

Can you use your home Wi-Fi network with the Xfinity Mobile phone and then not be charged against your cap ?

Also for what it's worth, Xfinity Mobile was out of the $1 phones. The others were quite a bit more (relatively).
First of all, it turns out the "$200 off any phone" promo ended yesterday. I was able to purchase 2 LG phones at $1 each, but that deal has ended. As for data, the 100MB/1GB excludes any hotspot and/or Wifi data.

mortalsonofmortal

Post by mortalsonofmortal » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:20 pm

check republicwireless.com
They have cheap plans and refund money if you dont use all of their data