Iphone X is $1000

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Cash
Posts: 1232
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:52 am

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by Cash » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:56 pm

Here is a nice comparison of the features and prices of the iPhone X vs. other models:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/12/iph ... s-iphone7/

User avatar
Leesbro63
Posts: 4914
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:36 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by Leesbro63 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:02 pm

What's the monthly cost for the iWatch data? Is this for unlimited data, or might the charge be variable?

User avatar
Leesbro63
Posts: 4914
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:36 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by Leesbro63 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:03 pm

And when I can do the earliest order? Is it during the night sometime?

User avatar
arcticpineapplecorp.
Posts: 2361
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:22 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:04 pm

From William Bernstein's "If You Can. How Millenials Get Rich Slowly":
Image
source: https://www.etf.com/docs/IfYouCan.pdf
"Invest we must." -- Jack Bogle | “The purpose of investing is not to simply optimise returns and make yourself rich. The purpose is not to die poor.” -- William Bernstein

Inframan4712
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:10 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by Inframan4712 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:08 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:37 pm
Of course. Years ago you would pay a "small" premium for Apple products. Now you pay nearly double the price of what something is worth.
Amazon Echo is $180 (Can get for nearly half that if you wait for a sale like on Prime Day).
Guess how much Apple will charge for its new competing "Echo-like" device? $350. They wait until someone else ships something - see what features people like - then ship something similar at twice the price. And there are so MANY loyal Apple followers who think the interface is still so much better they will buy it (and I'm sure many will chime in here :)).
Years ago I loved Apple - that stopped with the iPhone4. I looked at it and said "Why would I pay for a smart phone that has less processing power and only 3G when I can get one much cheaper with more processing power and 4G". Every time I've done the analysis I come to the same conclusion. Of course many disagree making Apple the largest company on the S&P500 (by market Cap).
I pay the so called Apple Tax for what I don't get:

1. A phone that might explode
2. An App Store riddled with malware
3. A phone I don't have to drop in the ocean at end of use because encryption is turned off at the OS.
4. Apps that exceed their permissions and collect data I explicitly deny them.
5. An OS so inefficient it needs an octocore to display web pages.

I want a phone that works well and that just so happens to fit in an elegant ecosystem. Air dropping photos between my phone, my Mac and my kids devices while on vacation with no cell signal or wifi is just one example.

User avatar
randomizer
Posts: 721
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:46 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by randomizer » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:09 pm

Nope. Nope. Nope.

IPhone SE is good enough for me.

ianferrel
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 5:27 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by ianferrel » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:17 pm

bottlecap wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:17 pm
Yeah, $1,000 every two years for a phone is way too much, but I'm sure consumers will prove me wrong.
When you upgrade, are you throwing your old phone in the garbage?

A 2-year old iPhone is generally worth about $200-300 less than it was when new. No reason to expect that this one won't be pretty similar.

I mean, I'm not going to buy it, but I'll be happy five years from now, when the 2-year old phone I buy off craigslist for $200 has all that cool stuff.

User avatar
reriodan
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:08 am

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by reriodan » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:21 pm

What a ripoff. But consumers will prove me wrong as they do with every apple product simply because it's apple. :oops:

DanMahowny
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:25 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by DanMahowny » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:32 pm

I'm still using my Samsung Galaxy S3. Perhaps in about 5 more years I'll consider a new phone.

TareNeko
Posts: 547
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:27 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by TareNeko » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:33 pm

So in your world, R&D is free? I'm not advocating the $1000 price tag, but 20% margin is just not realistic.
thangngo wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:45 pm
That's why Apple stock is doing well. Personally, I would pay $300 max for it if I need a new phone. Manufacturing cost of a new iPhone is roughly $225-$250. I'd give Apple 20% margin. But that's it. Now Apple price it at $1000, I'll let someone else buy it. :mrgreen:

thangngo
Posts: 441
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:08 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by thangngo » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:46 pm

TareNeko wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:33 pm
So in your world, R&D is free? I'm not advocating the $1000 price tag, but 20% margin is just not realistic.
thangngo wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:45 pm
That's why Apple stock is doing well. Personally, I would pay $300 max for it if I need a new phone. Manufacturing cost of a new iPhone is roughly $225-$250. I'd give Apple 20% margin. But that's it. Now Apple price it at $1000, I'll let someone else buy it. :mrgreen:
Yes it should be marginal with the economic of scale. I googled how many iPhones have been sold. As of 7/27/16, cumulative iphone sales has reached 1 billion. My generous 20% margin would give Apple $50 billion profit. That'd cover R&D, ehh? That means I'm not buying any iPhone soon. I'll probably get a used iPhone 5 years down the road.

User avatar
Tycoon
Posts: 1100
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:06 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by Tycoon » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:17 pm

I think not.
...I might be just beginning | I might be near the end. Enya | | C'est la vie

kayanco
Posts: 537
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:20 am

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by kayanco » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:43 pm

Personally, I don't find anything valuable in the latest phones. All these new features seem like gimmicks.
These are just toys and time-wasting distractions, enticing us to consume/spend more and more.

Suman
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:59 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by Suman » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:48 pm

Never bought anything apple except a lot of stocks via my vanguard index funds. So I am happy.

User avatar
wander
Posts: 2325
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by wander » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:50 pm

I am not sure if new Iphones support new T-Mobile 600 MHz frequency. T-Mobile users may need to wait for another phone.

User avatar
knpstr
Posts: 1827
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:57 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by knpstr » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:31 pm

Inframan4712 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:26 pm
knpstr wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:23 pm
Inframan4712 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:53 pm
For those happy with much, much less expensive phones - I've tried them and they just aren't good enough for me. To each his own.
Just curious, how did you ever manage with an iPhone 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or 7? :twisted:
I'm sure that wasn't as good as the X is now?
I managed just fine because each of them was better than the cheaper android available at the time that I tried.
Ah okay, haha.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

student
Posts: 1391
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by student » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:50 pm

$1 phone from Comcast is a much better deal.

User avatar
F150HD
Posts: 1183
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by F150HD » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:02 pm

Millennials are lining up to buy it I'm sure.

junior
Posts: 704
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by junior » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:08 pm

I have an Iphone 6. The new Iphone will run the same solid but boring apps with the same solid but boring OS. I won't upgrade to another Iphone, there's been no new enticing features- sometimes they just take features away like the headphone jack or fingerprint reader. Exciting new features like pressing the screen down more or swiping instead of using a button have no interest.

I'll go back to Android for my next phone. Android phones are sometimes less reliable in my experience but you can do more with them. (VR, Emulators, unsanctioned youtube clients, etc.) They are more interesting for tinkering. I also expect that by now Android will be more reliable than in the days when I bought a Galaxy Nexus. (Which was fine at first but got very slow after two years).

The fact of the matter is smartphone technology really has nowhere to improve other than newer antenna's for newer spectrum ranges. The processors are already good enough- advanced 3d graphics isn't even much fun when you only have a touchscreen for playing games.

Battery life could improve, but that's not in the device maker's interest since they want the battery to eventually die so you buy a new device to get a new non-removable battery.

For me, the Iphone X is a poor 1000 dollar toy since it will be basically the same as the older Iphones.

User avatar
sunny_socal
Posts: 1309
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:21 pm

Cash wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:55 pm
sunny_socal wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:45 pm
Are there any that are truly important?
That's subjective. It's fine to say that there aren't any features that you value over X device. But to assert that there is nothing new is silly.

For me, I like the new form factor (finally back to the glass back), edge-to-edge screen, enhanced camera features, touch to wake, wireless charging, and enhanced security through FaceID. I was going to upgrade anyway, so the only question is whether the X is worth a few hundred dollars more than the 8. Given the amount of time I use the device, the screen alone is worth that. You get the usable space of the 8-plus screen in the 8 form factor. So yes, in my subjective opinion, there are "truly important" differentiating factors. But maybe not for you :).
None of those features are new, notably edge-to-edge screen and wireless charging - they have been on Android for years. The only 'new' feature on the X is face recognition and I'll be able to live without it :wink:

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 3220
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by DaftInvestor » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:29 pm

Inframan4712 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:08 pm
DaftInvestor wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:37 pm
Of course. Years ago you would pay a "small" premium for Apple products. Now you pay nearly double the price of what something is worth.
Amazon Echo is $180 (Can get for nearly half that if you wait for a sale like on Prime Day).
Guess how much Apple will charge for its new competing "Echo-like" device? $350. They wait until someone else ships something - see what features people like - then ship something similar at twice the price. And there are so MANY loyal Apple followers who think the interface is still so much better they will buy it (and I'm sure many will chime in here :)).
Years ago I loved Apple - that stopped with the iPhone4. I looked at it and said "Why would I pay for a smart phone that has less processing power and only 3G when I can get one much cheaper with more processing power and 4G". Every time I've done the analysis I come to the same conclusion. Of course many disagree making Apple the largest company on the S&P500 (by market Cap).
I pay the so called Apple Tax for what I don't get:

1. A phone that might explode
2. An App Store riddled with malware
3. A phone I don't have to drop in the ocean at end of use because encryption is turned off at the OS.
4. Apps that exceed their permissions and collect data I explicitly deny them.
5. An OS so inefficient it needs an octocore to display web pages.

I want a phone that works well and that just so happens to fit in an elegant ecosystem. Air dropping photos between my phone, my Mac and my kids devices while on vacation with no cell signal or wifi is just one example.
Nice propaganda list.
If you like the ecosystem over others and want to pay wx the price for all your electronics to have it that's one thing - but to think just because one model of one company's phone had a battery problem means you are somehow better off buying Apple because it's iPhone has yet to have such a problem (it did have such a problem with one iPod model if you recall) is ridiculous. I could say the same for all your other points - none apply broadly across all nonApple products.

angelescrest
Posts: 889
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 10:48 am
Location: The Third Coast

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by angelescrest » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:31 pm

thangngo wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:45 pm
stoptothink wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:26 pm
thangngo wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:12 pm
sambb wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:49 pm
I dont buy on cost, i buy on ROI. iphones have an incredible ROI for me in time, convenience, access, work, and features. I will likely buy. Never had one that didnt have a huge ROI. Way more than any index fund. YMMV.
Uhm.. What happened to your current phone? If Apple were not to introduce a new phone every year, would your current phone be useless?
Search for previous threads on Apple products, Sambb has stated that he would gladly pay 25x or maybe even 50x what an Iphone (and Iwatch) currently sells for because the ROI is that high for him. Hey, if you have the money, more power to you.
That's why Apple stock is doing well. Personally, I would pay $300 max for it if I need a new phone. Manufacturing cost of a new iPhone is roughly $225-$250. I'd give Apple 20% margin. But that's it. Now Apple price it at $1000, I'll let someone else buy it. :mrgreen:
$225-$250? I'd like to see a source for that, on the iPhone X.

User avatar
bostondan
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:21 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by bostondan » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:37 pm

I don't waste money on many things and save much more than necessary. I enjoy having a nice phone. I'll be getting it, knowing that it is a "waste" of money.
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” - Elie Wiesel

pechy2925
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:43 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by pechy2925 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:50 pm

I will be purchasing. There are actual useless things to spend money on, ex: Scientology, cable TV, cigarettes, bottled water...

lightheir
Posts: 2199
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by lightheir » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:00 pm

$1000 is downright cheap for most folks honestly, for a device that some folks literally every waking hour of their day, sometimes continuously for hours. I think of the days when I used to have to pony up $2k for a black and white LAPTOP (probably the equivalent of $3-4k today) that I'd use for only an hour or two per day for farrr less functionality.

Heck, even today, I"ll bet most people use their cutting-edge iphones more than their $1-2k laptops overall.

nanoanalyzer
Moderator
Posts: 429
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:14 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by nanoanalyzer » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:27 pm

Kneejerk: This is not sustainable. Q2 2018 might be time to start tilting mid-small cap to get away from AAPL.

Math: Considering CPI-U, even the original iPhone would only be inflated 17% at around $350. Have they really added $650 of value?

Business sense: Just increase the price until they stop buying it. Oh, wait, the past 3 years have all seen ~75, 50, 45, 40 million units in Q1,2,3,4... Is the market officially saturated with people who just replace their iPhone annually? For how long will they continue to do so? As a good BH, I always underestimate the frivolity of the average consumer, which is why I decided long ago to stay out of the business profession.
"If you think stocks are like physics, you believe there must be smart people who can measure exactly where the Dow Jones Industrial Average will be in five months." -Morgan Housel

User avatar
Leesbro63
Posts: 4914
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:36 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by Leesbro63 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:31 pm

I view getting a new iPhone every year as a cheap luxury. Sort of like folks who used to buy a new car every year, but with comparatively no cost. I use it all the time. Even at $1000-$1200 for a top of the line iPhone with Applecare, it's a cheap luxury. I give my "old" phone to one of my kids, but if I didn't, I could recoup $400-$500 and the net cost would be that much less. So my kids get a new phone gift and I get the latest tech for about a grand a year. I've wasted more on less. I admit that I can get 80% of the functionality from a phone costing about 1/3, but I don't care. Having the latest "palm computer" for $1000/year is a bargain for some old enough to have grown up with dial phones tethered to the wall.

NYC_Guy
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:23 pm
Location: New York

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by NYC_Guy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:35 pm

investing1012 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:59 pm
Holy $$$, Iphone X is $1000
Seems reasonable for the most important device/tech I have. I'd give up my car before I give up my smartphone.

User avatar
sunny_socal
Posts: 1309
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:39 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:21 pm

None of those features are new, notably edge-to-edge screen and wireless charging - they have been on Android for years. The only 'new' feature on the X is face recognition and I'll be able to live without it :wink:
I'll quote myself here, I guess the face recognition isn't exactly polished
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-appl ... SKCN1BN0LV
But in an embarrassing moment for Apple Senior Vice President Craig Federighi, the face ID unlocking did not work on his first attempt during the on-stage presentation.

hirlaw
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:20 am

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by hirlaw » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:56 pm

I have an IPhone 5. Been waiting for this to come out before I upgrade. I'm in. :D

moneyman11
Posts: 487
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:09 am

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by moneyman11 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:05 pm

Nothing brings out the sanctimonious misinformed opinions on Bogleheads like the annual new iPhone thread.

cutterinnj
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by cutterinnj » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:31 pm

iPhone X has some really cool things but it's too new.
Give it a year; the iPhone XS, XI, or whatever they call the next one, will likely have most of the bugs ironed out. Plus, OLED screens should be cheaper by then.

I'm quite happy with my 6S, and will continue to use it for at least another year or two.

User avatar
CyclingDuo
Posts: 930
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:07 am

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by CyclingDuo » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:54 pm

2 year contract works out to be about $1.37 per day for this Apple X phone.

Water bill, on average, is about $1.39 per day for me.

Cup of black coffee at the local coffee shop is $1.50 per day for me.

Keeping my haircut works out, on average, to cost me $1.62 per day (based on 12 cuts per year including tips)

Internet bill, on average, is about $1.65 per day for me.

Cable TV bill, on average, is about $3.28 per day for me.

One adult beverage cocktail, on average, at home is about $3.50 per day for me.

Home electric bill, on average, is about $3.62 per day for me..

Commute per day, on average, is about $3.89 in gas alone per day for me.

Eating out one meal per week with the wife, on average, costs us about $5.70 per day (based on 52 meals out a year at $40 per check)

I guess the new iPhone X will be one of my cheapest costs if/when I upgrade.

:beer

njdealguy
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:15 am

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by njdealguy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:00 pm

CyclingDuo wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:54 pm
2 year contract works out to be about $1.37 per day for this Apple X phone.

Water bill, on average, is about $1.39 per day for me.

Cup of black coffee at the local coffee shop is $1.50 per day for me.

Keeping my haircut works out, on average, to cost me $1.62 per day (based on 12 cuts per year including tips)

Internet bill, on average, is about $1.65 per day for me.

Cable TV bill, on average, is about $3.28 per day for me.

One adult beverage cocktail, on average, at home is about $3.50 per day for me.

Home electric bill, on average, is about $3.62 per day for me..

Commute per day, on average, is about $3.89 in gas alone per day for me.

Eating out one meal per week with the wife, on average, costs us about $5.70 per day (based on 52 meals out a year at $40 per check)

I guess the new iPhone X will be one of my cheapest costs if/when I upgrade.

:beer
Wow 1.62 per day for haircuts for 12 times per year works out to about 50 bucks per haircut, must be high quality, as mine have never exceeded 20 including tip!

Longtermgrowth
Posts: 447
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:59 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by Longtermgrowth » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:01 pm

Did anyone else find the upper portion of the iPhone X unappealing? If the upper left and right only display battery power and signal strength, that's alright, but it has the background image in there too! It was annoying to me the first second I saw an image of it...

User avatar
CyclingDuo
Posts: 930
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:07 am

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by CyclingDuo » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:07 pm

njdealguy wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:00 pm
Wow 1.62 per day for haircuts for 12 times per year works out to about 50 bucks per haircut, must be high quality, as mine have never exceeded 20 including tip!
All depends on location, skill, gender, and if it includes your eyebrows, ears, neck, and nose hair getting clipped as well. :mrgreen:

https://www.thumbtack.com/p/hair-stylist-prices

https://fashionista.com/2016/07/haircut-price

http://www.businessinsider.com/haircut- ... map-2014-3

User avatar
sunny_socal
Posts: 1309
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:49 pm

Longtermgrowth wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:01 pm
Did anyone else find the upper portion of the iPhone X unappealing? If the upper left and right only display battery power and signal strength, that's alright, but it has the background image in there too! It was annoying to me the first second I saw an image of it...
Yeah, that little blob at the top is lame.
Image

Note8 for me! :beer
- FAR better display than the Apple (2x brighter, higher resolution)
- S-pen
- 2x the RAM
- Expandable via SD card
- Slightly less $$
- Simulated 'home' button (would still prefer physical home button)
- Symmetrical front panel
- Native android app support! I love Messenger, Google Maps, Gmail

Momus
Posts: 241
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by Momus » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:58 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:49 pm
Longtermgrowth wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:01 pm
Did anyone else find the upper portion of the iPhone X unappealing? If the upper left and right only display battery power and signal strength, that's alright, but it has the background image in there too! It was annoying to me the first second I saw an image of it...
Yeah, that little blob at the top is lame.
Image

Note8 for me! :beer
- FAR better display than the Apple (2x brighter, higher resolution)
- S-pen
- 2x the RAM
- Expandable via SD card
- Slightly less $$
- Simulated 'home' button (would still prefer physical home button)
- Symmetrical front panel
- Native android app support! I love Messenger, Google Maps, Gmail
This man knows what's up. Crazy I have to scroll down this far to see this comment. Apple plays the same old [(stuff) --admin LadyGeek] playing catchup with Samsung/LG phones tech. Android users have wireless charging 3 yrs ago, Infiniti display a year ago, iris scanner a yr ago, much better oled display at least 2 yrs ago, water proof 4 yrs ago and expandable storage since forever. It's quite embarrassing how dumb people are that they keep buying apple. Buying subpar tech every year just because it has Apple logo lmao.

User avatar
catdude
Posts: 1391
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:11 pm
Location: Central Oregon

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by catdude » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:07 am

randomizer wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:09 pm
Nope. Nope. Nope.

IPhone SE is good enough for me.
Me too. Love the small form factor of the SE....
catdude | | You know you're getting old when you start looking for a smaller house with a bigger medicine cabinet.

User avatar
CyclingDuo
Posts: 930
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:07 am

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by CyclingDuo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:13 am

matatupuncher wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:59 am
The anti-IPhone snobs on here are worse than beer snobs.
At least they haven't pooped on the new Apple watch yet... :shock:

lazydavid
Posts: 1209
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by lazydavid » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:56 am

nanoanalyzer wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:27 pm
Math: Considering CPI-U, even the original iPhone would only be inflated 17% at around $350. Have they really added $650 of value?
To have valid results, Math has to start with accurate figures:
The iPhone debuted at $499 for the 4GB and $599 for the 8GB model on-contract.
source: https://www.imore.com/history-iphone-original

at 17% cumulative inflation, $599 comes to exactly double your figure. And that was the on-contract price. At the time, unsubsidized phones were typically $300 or so more expensive, when they could be found. $899 at 17% comes to $1,052.
Last edited by lazydavid on Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

lazydavid
Posts: 1209
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by lazydavid » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:02 am

CyclingDuo wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:13 am
At least they haven't pooped on the new Apple watch yet... :shock:
That was the most impressive part of the whole show. Though it's not the first watch to offer cellular connectivity, the 4 or 5 such Android Wear devices have had marginal incremental utility and been HUGE. Adding this functionality while maintaining the same form factor is definitely an accomplishment.

Cash
Posts: 1232
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:52 am

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by Cash » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:04 am

sunny_socal wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:21 pm
Cash wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:55 pm
sunny_socal wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:45 pm
Are there any that are truly important?
That's subjective. It's fine to say that there aren't any features that you value over X device. But to assert that there is nothing new is silly.

For me, I like the new form factor (finally back to the glass back), edge-to-edge screen, enhanced camera features, touch to wake, wireless charging, and enhanced security through FaceID. I was going to upgrade anyway, so the only question is whether the X is worth a few hundred dollars more than the 8. Given the amount of time I use the device, the screen alone is worth that. You get the usable space of the 8-plus screen in the 8 form factor. So yes, in my subjective opinion, there are "truly important" differentiating factors. But maybe not for you :).
None of those features are new, notably edge-to-edge screen and wireless charging - they have been on Android for years. The only 'new' feature on the X is face recognition and I'll be able to live without it :wink:
Well now you're switching from "important" to "new." That's a different issue altogether. I don't care about Android except as competition to make Apple innovate faster and better. Telling me that Android had something first is like telling a Vanguard investor that the comparable Schwab ETF is .01% cheaper. That's nice, but I'm not switching :).

Cash
Posts: 1232
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:52 am

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by Cash » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:06 am

sunny_socal wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:39 pm
I'll quote myself here, I guess the face recognition isn't exactly polished
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-appl ... SKCN1BN0LV
But in an embarrassing moment for Apple Senior Vice President Craig Federighi, the face ID unlocking did not work on his first attempt during the on-stage presentation.
That's also factually incorrect:
In fact, it doesn’t seem to be an error by the company’s replacement for Touch ID at all. The passcode screen that Federighi got on that first iPhone X said “Your passcode is required to enable Face ID.” This is the same screen that would come up on existing iPhones after a device has been restarted — or simply after several hours have passed without authenticating through the lock screen. This is a security precaution introduced with Touch ID that will clearly carry onward with Face ID.
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker ... -demo-fail

User avatar
oldcomputerguy
Posts: 2099
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:50 am
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by oldcomputerguy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:30 am

The Samsung Galaxy J3 I'm currently using cost me $100 through Consumer Cellular, and it does everything I need it to do and more. No, thanks.
Anybody know why there's a 20-pound frozen turkey up in the light grid?

User avatar
oldcomputerguy
Posts: 2099
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:50 am
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by oldcomputerguy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:47 am

CyclingDuo wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:54 pm
2 year contract works out to be about $1.37 per day for this Apple X phone.

Water bill, on average, is about $1.39 per day for me.

Cup of black coffee at the local coffee shop is $1.50 per day for me.

Keeping my haircut works out, on average, to cost me $1.62 per day (based on 12 cuts per year including tips)

Internet bill, on average, is about $1.65 per day for me.

Cable TV bill, on average, is about $3.28 per day for me.

One adult beverage cocktail, on average, at home is about $3.50 per day for me.

Home electric bill, on average, is about $3.62 per day for me..

Commute per day, on average, is about $3.89 in gas alone per day for me.

Eating out one meal per week with the wife, on average, costs us about $5.70 per day (based on 52 meals out a year at $40 per check)
Or put another way: $1,000 is (right now) about 16 shares of VTSAX.

:greedy
Anybody know why there's a 20-pound frozen turkey up in the light grid?

hudson
Posts: 1238
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:15 am

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by hudson » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:49 am

cutterinnj wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:31 pm
iPhone X has some really cool things but it's too new.
Give it a year; the iPhone XS, XI, or whatever they call the next one, will likely have most of the bugs ironed out. Plus, OLED screens should be cheaper by then.

I'm quite happy with my 6S, and will continue to use it for at least another year or two.
Me too...I use the 6S Plus 64GB...my notes...iPhone 6S Plus VS iPhone 8S Plus

just the facts with a few thoughts...(The iPhone is the only Apple product that I use)

iPhone 8 Plus memory: IF I bought the 8S Plus, I would go with the nice 256 GB
Water Resistance: a big plus
Size is the same...bigger would be a plus
Finger print sensor same...not big deal
Camera stuff...not a big deal for me
Siri...I don't use...my granddaughter likes it
Battery...the 8 plus is maybe 10% stronger
Lightning Connector...same
Volume: The 8's speakers are 25% louder...a plus.
Charging: both by lightning 8 Plus by Wireless QI Charging...interesting...need more info on the QI charging (Update..Belkin will sell a QI Charger listing for about $60 http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/09/ ... 8-iphone-x)
Ear Pods...I don't use but 8S Plus now uses the lightning
Hearing Aid: I use hearing aids so I'm interested; right now the 6S Plus is good...no hook up to my hearing aids needed. My current hearing aids aren't compatible with the iPhone without an expensive add on. My next hearing aids will be iPhone compatible...I'm in no hurry to replace.
Screen Stuff: not interested
Additional memory and processor: My 6S Plus is fast enough; memory is OK

6S Plus Specs: https://www.apple.com/iphone-6s/specs/
8 Plus Specs: https://www.apple.com/iphone-8/specs/

Overall: I shouldn't bite; if I do it will be long after the rush. I can't justify going to the 8 Plus unless my 6 Plus dies.
My 6S Plus is frequently at risk of water damage; the biggest attraction for the 8 Plus is water resistance. I think the 8 Plus and the iPhone 7 have the same water resistance rating.

What would make me want to buy a new model today?
really good water resistance
really tough...drop proof...no case needed
if it had a 6.5 inch diagonal display instead of a 5.5 inch display
Last edited by hudson on Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:46 am, edited 6 times in total.

marc515
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:12 am

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by marc515 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:41 am

CyclingDuo wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:13 am
matatupuncher wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:59 am
The anti-IPhone snobs on here are worse than beer snobs.
At least they haven't pooped on the new Apple watch yet... :shock:
Give them time!

User avatar
wander
Posts: 2325
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by wander » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:45 am

I may buy one when I am up for a new one, but still like my Motorola G4.

likegarden
Posts: 2412
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:33 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by likegarden » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:47 am

Ahhh! It is so good to be retired and do not need a phone for work. I am so satisfied with my fast PC and that 27 inch monitor.

Post Reply