Need Cloud Back-Up Service For Mac

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
hirlaw

Need Cloud Back-Up Service For Mac

Post by hirlaw » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:40 am

I am looking into cloud back-up services for a Mac. My two main requirements are: 1) security and 2) ease of use. I am looking at IDrive and I like the fact that it has 256 encryption and allows a personal key not stored on their servers. However, I have read some reviews that people have had trouble with the service.

Any recommendations will be appreciated!!

Derby

Re: Need Cloud Back-Up Service For Mac

Post by Derby » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:23 pm

I use BackBlaze and I have been very happy with the service so far.
Carpe Diem.

blueman457

Post by blueman457 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:40 pm

I use a piece of software called ARQ (https://www.arqbackup.com/).

It allows me to backup a number of cloud providers (I currently use Amazon) but also to a local network drive. Encryption is 256-bit and I've done small restores (like folders and specific files, not a complete backup) without issues. It's not the easiest to navigate (i.e. I wouldn't recommend it to my wife), but it works well.

Blue Man

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:09 pm

I use iDrive to backup 2 macs (wireless), a windows PC (wired), and synology NAS. They've gotten better over time, and the client software is updated a few times a month (for Mac) to fix bugs or occasionally add a feature. I have it setup to send me a positive confirmation email from each backup session - a quick glance at the email inbox view indicates success or failure. Auto-updating the client seems to work reliably for the Mac, a bit less so for Windows, and poorly for the NAS. I'll check the iDrive website and manually install the NAS client update as needed, usually every Quarter or so. I don't have any current complaints, and the few times I needed to deal with Support, that worked out fine.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | Endurance athletes are the Bogleheads of sports. | "I like people - I just don't want to be around 'em." - Russell Gordy

Lacrocious

Post by Lacrocious » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:27 pm

I purchased a subscription to IDrive now that I will be losing CrashPlan. It looked like a perfect single-source solution that could handle a family of computers relatively inexpensively. I had issues immediately and was never able to backup a single byte of data. I submitted tickets to their support page and never received a response. I chatted with their online chat people and they were at a loss. The client just couldn't connect to their back-end services. I tried a second PC and had the same issue. I requested and received a refund. Interestingly enough, the refund request was submitted as a support request the same as the initial request for help. They responded to the refund request but not the request for assistance. They initially prorated me a refund, but darn-it - I stood my ground and they refunded the $0.41 that was the prorated portion of the fee they didn't initially refund!

I am now successfully and quickly backing up to BackBlaze B2 and to a local NAS using ARQ 5 as the client on Windows. I have not converted my daughters Macbook yet, but based on what I read, it should be an easy transition.

I know that IDrive has good reviews and I am sure many successful customers - but it didn't work for me. They may have been overloaded with new customers due to the CrashPlan shutdown - but at least respond. Your money may vary.
- L

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:35 am

There's a recent thread on Crashplan alternatives that you might want to take a look at. I also switched to Arq and B2 but wouldn't recommend this for those that place simplicity as a top priority.

hirlaw

Post by hirlaw » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:13 pm

What about Carbonite? Has anyone had any luck with that service?

bzcat

Post by bzcat » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:42 pm

Another vote for Arq

redstar

Post by redstar » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:22 am

I've been using Backblaze for a year and love it. Just signed up for the 2 year plan. I looked into Arq, and it is normally something I would do, but I wanted something simpler so I didn't screw up backups somehow.