Negotiating with Charter/Spectrum

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ediekrager

Negotiating with Charter/Spectrum

Post by ediekrager » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:38 pm

I know there are countless threads on negotiating discounts with a cable company. I have been successful in the past when negotiating with Comcast. However, I have hit a brick wall with Charter. I have their Internet Lite service which is grandfathered in at $31.99 per month. Plenty of speed and great price. However, I pay $63.99 for their tv service plus $6.99 for each receiver and $11.99 for Dvr service. I don't want to bundle and "upgrade" the internet service with the tv only to have it be more expensive a year from now. Cord cutting is not an option. Hulu with live tv is promising, but not quite what we need. I have read several articles online about how Charter doesn't negotiate. Seems like bs to me - just like no-haggle car pricing. Regardless, I am stuck and need suggestions that are Charter-specific.

Re: Negotiating with Charter/Spectrum

Post by 123 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:03 pm

All of the pay tv services, whether cable or satellite, seem to have promotional prices that are only good for 12 to 24 months. You might want to investigate a minimal level of service of some kind. I've got Comcast and once a year they enclose a complete price list for all the various services and packages they offer. I find the price list a much better guide then the somewhat misleading promotional prices on their website.

Maybe you should cancel the TV/DVR components of your service and see if you get an attractive offer to add it back.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

medical_bartender

Post by medical_bartender » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:39 pm

Instead of negotiating we dropped all TV service. We now operate on digital antenna with ~20 local channels + Netflix + Amazon prime (that we have anyway) +HBO Now. The new setup is saving us $100/mo. I am missing some sports and might look into sling TV or equivalent streaming TV service for $20/mo.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:50 pm

I have been with Charter for 20 years or so. Use it for internet and home phone, not TV. Years ago, they used to offer promotionals. Best I can tell they haven't offered anything like that in at least 5 years, so no, I haven't had any luck negotiating with them. Compare that to ATT/Directv where I badger them and get discounts several times a year.

book lover

Post by book lover » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:40 pm

Spectrum was tough to negotiate with so I used BillFixers and they were able to get my cable/internet bill down by $10 half of which I split with them but hey five bucks a month is better than nothing.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:52 pm

Is the streaming cable app available in your area? I pay $30/mo for that incl. tax + $45/mo for internet so my bill is $75 total.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:07 pm

Is directTV an option?

We cut the cord this spring but I struggled to get an antenna working so I accepted Directv's offer. two years $50 a month for everything. My first order confirmation said I had one year at 50 and year two was 90. I called and complained that wasn't what they offered over the phone. Guy fixed it and gave me a $100 credit.

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:15 pm

Andyrunner wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:07 pm
Is directTV an option?

We cut the cord this spring but I struggled to get an antenna working so I accepted Directv's offer. two years $50 a month for everything. My first order confirmation said I had one year at 50 and year two was 90. I called and complained that wasn't what they offered over the phone. Guy fixed it and gave me a $100 credit.
That is VERY shady. I wonder how many people notice too late (or not at all) and DirecTV pockets the extra $40/month the second year.

Thanks for letting me know never to go with DirecTV.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:36 pm

new2bogle wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:15 pm
Andyrunner wrote:
Is directTV an option?

That is VERY shady. I wonder how many people notice too late (or not at all) and DirecTV pockets the extra $40/month the second year.

Either you want somebody where the price never changes like Charter or you have somebody where the price changes weekly and is different for each person like Directv. You can't have both.

I've had directv for 20 years. Always having to haggle for the price and occasionally threaten to cancel is a pain in the arse but they've never done anything I'd consider "shady".

Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:51 pm

JBTX wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:36 pm
new2bogle wrote:
Andyrunner wrote:
Is directTV an option?

Either you want somebody where the price never changes like Charter or you have somebody where the price changes weekly and is different for each person like Directv. You can't have both.

I've had directv for 20 years. Always having to haggle for the price and occasionally threaten to cancel is a pain in the arse but they've never done anything I'd consider "shady".
Agreed. By no means shady. He confirmed my deal was what I was told over the phone and I was at $50 for two years, just the order confirmation on the email isn't laid out very well at all.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:15 pm

Andyrunner wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:51 pm
JBTX wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:36 pm
new2bogle wrote:
Andyrunner wrote:
Is directTV an option?

Agreed. By no means shady. He confirmed my deal was what I was told over the phone and I was at $50 for two years, just the order confirmation on the email isn't laid out very well at all.
I'm currently paying a little over $50 a month with Including HBO and showtime but that includes probably $80 per month loyalty discounts and another $30-$40 bundling discounts with ATT. The haggling is a beat down but for the savings it is worth it. One time they refused to haggle so I placed a post dated cancellation and the next day I got a bunch of new customer discounts.