New/used compact car

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
skor99

New/used compact car

Post by skor99 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:32 pm

Hello, I am considering buying a new or a used compact car and as a true boglehead would do :-) , I am comparing prices and value offered. I have been looking at the usual suspects honda Civic, Mazda 3, totota corolla etc. 2017 corolla seems to be a good buy with the redesign and inclusion of several new standard safety features that would require atleast $1.5K or more in other vehicles, but it is not very fun to drive.
I have gotten several good offers in the $15300 range (+tax/tags) for their most popular corolla LE model.
Is that a good price for this car or should I negotiate further?

I also like the civic very much and am considering either a new or a lightly used, but the price is atleast 2K higher. Can somebody who already has a corolla/civic comment on this, especially the price ? Other car comments are also welcome.

Thanks

Alexa9

Re: New/used compact car

Post by Alexa9 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:45 pm

I would recommend Civic/Corolla. You can save a little buying slightly used or a decent amount on a 5 year old/60k miles+ vehicle which are perfectly fine. Most new features are gimmicks IMO other than stability control unless you are a bad driver and need the nanny features. :D
If you don't drive much (<10k/year), a high mileage newer vehicle is a good choice. If you drive a lot(15k+/year), an older, lower mileage vehicle is ideal.

skor99

Post by skor99 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:53 pm

I would agree with you if those features were cosmetic in nature, but in the corolla these are automatic braking/pedestrian detection, Lane change warning etc. Somebody I know told me that the automatic braking feature has saved him from an accident already that he would have been at fault, so not sure if these are totally useless.

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:43 pm

You have to decide how much automatic braking is worth to you.
But, you've lived this long without it.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:00 pm

Have owned a new Civic Hatchback now for 3 weeks.
Traded in a Crv for it.
We really enjoy the sporty feel when driving it.
Very enjoyable here in the mountainous area of Tn.
Loaded with technology.
No regrets,great price point for what is incorporated in the vehicle.... :mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

omgbirdman

Post by omgbirdman » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:04 pm

I have had a 2016 Civic since April 2016, and it is leaps ahead of last generations (2012-2015). I haven't personally driven the Corolla, but considering the mid-range Civic is 2 seconds faster 0-60, I suspect the fun factor is much greater as well.

Aside from the infotainment system, I love my car.

BanquetBeer

Post by BanquetBeer » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:06 pm

Would get the corolla (maybe s for better suspension?) - I have a civic si but that's a whole other category.

Corolla has more room. Stock civic vs corolla you're not going to be racing anyone or anywhere so just enjoy it as a commuter car. Best place to compare price is on a <car specific> forum.

If your target is price you're spot on. Nowadays I might get something a little bigger or Prius or something. I would say buy new - not worth the risk to save $1 grand in the scheme of things.

skor99

Post by skor99 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:30 pm

Overall price and safety are the most important factors for me. Civics are very good cars on those points as well, but having a little bit more fun in a compact car is not that high on my list. I did check the price of used corollas on carmax and other sites and am seeing prices Like 14K for a 2014 corolla le with 37K miles and $12.2K for 2012 model with 62 K miles.
This is not much savings at all and might actually cost me more if mileage value and warranty/lesser maintenance on new cars is taken into consideration. I think buying used on 3-4 year old high priced luxury vehicles is the best bet rather than on lower prices compact cars.
Last edited by skor99 on Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:33 pm

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

BanquetBeer

Post by BanquetBeer » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:36 pm

Possibility. I got a civic si knowing I wanted something fun to drive age 25-35 and my SO has a SUV for the kiddos. I commute for work and like mpg, am a good driver (based on accidents/tickets record) and drive off peak times.

Hope was this is the last car I will drive... wouldn't mind having a beer while the next car drives me.

New for $25k sell in 10 years for $5k - $2k/yr cost for a fun car I do all basic maintenance on. Easily within budget.

I kind of wanted a nice car - could have afforded anything I wanted (BMW, Porsche, etc) but time value of money and the year of retirement it would cost.