Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
marklar13
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:47 am
Location: Boston

Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by marklar13 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:22 am

Today I requested a credit freeze from each of the big 3 (experian, transunion, equifax). Based on my state of residence, I was expecting to pay $10+ for each request. However, both my wife's and my own freeze at Equifax were processed without ever asking for payment. For both of the other websites I had to enter payment info.

I didn't see anything in the news or on their website regarding Equifax waiving the fee, so I was somewhat surprised. I've seen in other threads that many forum members are requesting freezes now -- but I didn't see anything about Equifax waiving the fee there either. Am I missing something? If not, for those of you have recently requested a freeze from Equifax and paid for it, you might consider trying to get it reimbursed.

User avatar
walletless
Posts: 703
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:55 pm

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by walletless » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:27 am

same experience in california. was expecting to pay $10.

MariaT
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:34 pm

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by MariaT » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:21 am

Same result here. Applied this morning but paid $10 for TransUnion and Experian.
Maybe goodwill on their end? Don't know.

Best,
Maria

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 2947
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:23 am

I paid a fee - but that was Saturday morning. I wonder if they will reverse the charge.

BHUser27
Posts: 591
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:07 pm
Location: A Midwestern Town

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by BHUser27 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:54 am

I haven't seen this discussed in any of the Equifax/freeze discussions...

I just signed up for the FREE "TrueIdentity" service offered by TransUnion.
This allows me to set up email & text alerts for any TransUnion inquiries, as well as Lock/Unlock access to my TU reports at will.

It didn't cost me anything and did not have to enter credit card info.

https://www.trueidentity.com/

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 2947
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:12 pm

BHUser27 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:54 am
I haven't seen this discussed in any of the Equifax/freeze discussions...

I just signed up for the FREE "TrueIdentity" service offered by TransUnion.
This allows me to set up email & text alerts for any TransUnion inquiries, as well as Lock/Unlock access to my TU reports at will.

It didn't cost me anything and did not have to enter credit card info.

https://www.trueidentity.com/
Did you freeze with all agencies? If so, I'm curious to know what benefit you see Trueidentity providing?
(Too be clear - I'm not being sarcastic - I have heard people suggest "Freeze all credit" and "Sign up for monitoring" but fail to see the value in the latter if I have done the former...maybe I'm missing something).

soccerdad12
Posts: 339
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:52 am

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by soccerdad12 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:18 pm

I froze mine on all 3. In my state (NC) it is free to freeze and unfreeze credit at all 3 agencies, so I am lucky. Also, I would think twice about the "free" credit monitoring they are offering. I read that, in the fine print, you are giving up your right to a class action lawsuit (that has already been filed).
Last edited by soccerdad12 on Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

new2bogle
Posts: 1083
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:05 pm

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by new2bogle » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:20 pm

OP - thank you for posting this. I was able to freeze my credit at Equifax for no charge as well.

User avatar
Earl Lemongrab
Posts: 2657
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:14 am

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:21 pm

soccerdad12 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:18 pm
I froze mine on all 3. In my state it is free, so I am lucky. Also, I would think twice about the "free" credit monitoring they are offering. I read that in the fine print, you are giving up your right to a class action lawsuit (that has already been filed).
The company has stated that this is not the case.
This week's fortune cookie: "The stock market may be your ticket to success." I sure hope so!

soccerdad12
Posts: 339
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:52 am

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by soccerdad12 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:24 pm

I have a screenshot from the company stating ""You will be forfeiting your right to bring or participate in any class action"

I tried to upload a picture of it, but I am not sure how to.
Last edited by soccerdad12 on Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BHUser27
Posts: 591
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:07 pm
Location: A Midwestern Town

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by BHUser27 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:24 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:12 pm
Did you freeze with all agencies? If so, I'm curious to know what benefit you see Trueidentity providing?
(Too be clear - I'm not being sarcastic - I have heard people suggest "Freeze all credit" and "Sign up for monitoring" but fail to see the value in the latter if I have done the former...maybe I'm missing something).
Good questions.
Here is context of my situation:
- I had not frozen *any* of my reports (Big 3 + Chex & Innovis)
- Became interested in doing so last night after the Equifax breach
- Froze Equifax last night and it was FREE.
- Did Chexsystems and Innovis for FREE.
- Was looking to freeze TU and chose to use TrueIdentity instead for three reasons:
1) It is FREE
2) It allows me to lock/unlock instantly online or from phone *without additional charges*
3) It allows me to receive email/text alerts anytime someone accesses my TU report (again at no cost).

- Last step for me will be to freeze Experian (which will cost me a small fee, and again a small fee if I want to 'unfreeze' later)

My main point is that it looks like one can get a decent level of protection across the board for FREE (apart from Experian).

I completely agree that TrueIdentity is not needed for those that have already frozen their TU report.

new2bogle
Posts: 1083
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:05 pm

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by new2bogle » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:29 pm

BHUser27 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:24 pm
DaftInvestor wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:12 pm
Did you freeze with all agencies? If so, I'm curious to know what benefit you see Trueidentity providing?
(Too be clear - I'm not being sarcastic - I have heard people suggest "Freeze all credit" and "Sign up for monitoring" but fail to see the value in the latter if I have done the former...maybe I'm missing something).
Good questions.
Here is context of my situation:
- I had not frozen *any* of my reports (Big 3 + Chex & Innovis)
- Became interested in doing this last night after the Equifax breach
- Froze Equifax last night and it was FREE.
- Did Chexsystems and Innovis for FREE.
- Was looking into freezing TU and chose to use TrueIdentity instead of doing a freeze for three reasons:
1) It is FREE
2) It allows me to lock/unlock instantly online or from phone *without additional charges*
3) It allows me to set up email/text alerts anytime someone accesses my TU report (again at no cost).

- Last step for me will be to freeze Experian (which will cost me a small fee, and again a small fee if I want to 'unfreeze' later)

My main point is that it looks like one can get a decent level of protection across the board for FREE (apart from Experian).

I completely agree that TrueIdentity is not needed for those that are already frozen.
Seems like the TrueIdentity "lock" does not prevent creditors/lenders from looking at your credit report. Since the hackers already have all of my information, they don't need to look at it to steal my identity (it's already stolen) and so can still go ahead use my "locked" TU credit report to open up accounts in my name.
TrueIdentity wrote: Creditors, lenders (when you apply for a loan), landlords and employers can request and view your credit report.
Locking your TransUnion Credit Report blocks others from looking at it, which may serve as a critical step in preventing an identity thief from applying for credit in your name.
Credit Lock is part of your subscription* and carries no additional charge.
You can’t use Credit Lock if you have a security freeze on your TransUnion Credit Report.
That being said, I still did it due to the excellent points brought up by BHUser27

BHUser27
Posts: 591
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:07 pm
Location: A Midwestern Town

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by BHUser27 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:40 pm

new2bogle wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:29 pm
Since the hackers already have all of my information, they don't need to look at it to steal my identity (it's already stolen) and so can still go ahead use my "locked" TU credit report to open up accounts in my name.
The point isn't to keep hackers from looking at your report, it is to keep them from opening new accounts - the TrueIdentity Lock will deny access to creditors making a new account inquiry. So the account the hacker is trying to open will be denied. *And* you will be notified by email/text immediately.

From https://www.transunion.com/article/why- ... me-changer
What’s TU Credit Lock?
TU Credit Lock is a credit protection tool only available to TransUnion Credit Monitoring members. With just a click or swipe, you can use it to lock your TransUnion credit report. When locked, your TransUnion credit report can’t be accessed by creditors. If they ask for it, their request will be denied.

User avatar
Earl Lemongrab
Posts: 2657
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:14 am

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:21 pm

soccerdad12 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:24 pm
I have a screenshot from the company stating ""You will be forfeiting your right to bring or participate in any class action"

I tried to upload a picture of it, but I am not sure how to.
From their updated web page on the situation:
We’ve added an FAQ to our website to confirm that enrolling in the free credit file monitoring and identity theft protection that we are offering as part of this cybersecurity incident does not waive any rights to take legal action. We removed that language from the Terms of Use on the website, www.equifaxsecurity2017.com. The Terms of Use on www.equifax.com do not apply to the TrustedID Premier product being offered to consumers as a result of the cybersecurity incident.
https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/

PS: It's not possible to upload images to the forum.
This week's fortune cookie: "The stock market may be your ticket to success." I sure hope so!

squirm
Posts: 1016
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by squirm » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:31 pm

So what's the point of a free year of credit monitoring? It's not like credit card numbers or passwords were stolen... Social security numbers with all the other information will be on the dark web in perpetuity. What's the point of monitoring, they already have your info. This breach is a game changer. Can you change your social security number?

What also gets me is this major breach was barely mentioned on the news.
Last edited by squirm on Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soccerdad12
Posts: 339
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:52 am

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by soccerdad12 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:35 pm

What really gets me is that 2 Equifax executives sold millions of dollars of stock 2 days after the breach happened. By the way, that was in July and the public wasn't notified of the breach until September. Isn't that insider trading? Shouldn't someone be going to jail?

HIinvestor
Posts: 1189
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:23 am

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by HIinvestor » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:36 pm

So much is tied to SSN that changing it will cause more hassles for the person changing and the tons of records linked to it. Even ID theft victims are not offered new SSN.

squirm
Posts: 1016
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by squirm » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:40 pm

soccerdad12 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:35 pm
What really gets me is that 2 Equifax executives sold millions of dollars of stock 2 days after the breach happened. By the way, that was in July and the public wasn't notified of the breach until September. Isn't that insider trading? Shouldn't someone be going to jail?
Nobody goes to jail until the leaders change the laws. It's major reason why security is overlooked. I hope our leaders in congress have their sensitive financial information get onto public pages, then the laws will get changed.

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 2947
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:46 pm

HIinvestor wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:36 pm
So much is tied to SSN that changing it will cause more hassles for the person changing and the tons of records linked to it. Even ID theft victims are not offered new SSN.
They might not be "offered" them - but they can certainly apply to get a new one (someone I knew that was a victim did):
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0 ... ity-number

wfrobinette
Posts: 522
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:14 pm

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by wfrobinette » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:16 pm

marklar13 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:22 am
Today I requested a credit freeze from each of the big 3 (experian, transunion, equifax). Based on my state of residence, I was expecting to pay $10+ for each request. However, both my wife's and my own freeze at Equifax were processed without ever asking for payment. For both of the other websites I had to enter payment info.

I didn't see anything in the news or on their website regarding Equifax waiving the fee, so I was somewhat surprised. I've seen in other threads that many forum members are requesting freezes now -- but I didn't see anything about Equifax waiving the fee there either. Am I missing something? If not, for those of you have recently requested a freeze from Equifax and paid for it, you might consider trying to get it reimbursed.
I don't pay a fee in NJ. But I wonder if they adjusted the terms absconding themselves from liability due to the breach. I didn't read them closely.

User avatar
jhfenton
Posts: 2035
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:17 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by jhfenton » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:34 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:21 pm
soccerdad12 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:24 pm
I have a screenshot from the company stating ""You will be forfeiting your right to bring or participate in any class action"

I tried to upload a picture of it, but I am not sure how to.
From their updated web page on the situation:
We’ve added an FAQ to our website to confirm that enrolling in the free credit file monitoring and identity theft protection that we are offering as part of this cybersecurity incident does not waive any rights to take legal action. We removed that language from the Terms of Use on the website, www.equifaxsecurity2017.com. The Terms of Use on www.equifax.com do not apply to the TrustedID Premier product being offered to consumers as a result of the cybersecurity incident.
https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/

PS: It's not possible to upload images to the forum.
Thanks for that. I have to think they have changed their plans to avoid the additional bad press they were getting. When I checked my status on Friday, it definitely said that by signing up for the TrustedID Premier product I would be waiving my right to participate in any class action. (It also said that I should come back tomorrow to sign up.)

FrugalConservative
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:44 am

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by FrugalConservative » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:37 pm

BHUser27 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:40 pm
new2bogle wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:29 pm
Since the hackers already have all of my information, they don't need to look at it to steal my identity (it's already stolen) and so can still go ahead use my "locked" TU credit report to open up accounts in my name.
The point isn't to keep hackers from looking at your report, it is to keep them from opening new accounts - the TrueIdentity Lock will deny access to creditors making a new account inquiry. So the account the hacker is trying to open will be denied. *And* you will be notified by email/text immediately.

From https://www.transunion.com/article/why- ... me-changer
What’s TU Credit Lock?
TU Credit Lock is a credit protection tool only available to TransUnion Credit Monitoring members. With just a click or swipe, you can use it to lock your TransUnion credit report. When locked, your TransUnion credit report can’t be accessed by creditors. If they ask for it, their request will be denied.
I just signed up for trueidentity as well. In addition added a fraud alert for one year.

BHUser27
Posts: 591
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:07 pm
Location: A Midwestern Town

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by BHUser27 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:38 pm

wfrobinette wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:16 pm
I don't pay a fee in NJ. But I wonder if they adjusted the terms absconding themselves from liability due to the breach. I didn't read them closely.
I think the terms in question were associated with signing up for the free year of "TrustedID Premier" credit monitoring.
I don't think the terms ever applied to requesting a credit freeze. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on this).

Requesting a credit freeze is an entirely separate process from the TrustedID thingy offered on the special breach website.
I can confirm that requesting a credit freeze online at Equifax is now free, *and* they have fixed the PIN problem.

FiveSigmas
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:39 am

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by FiveSigmas » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:00 pm

BHUser27 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:24 pm
TrueIdentity instead for three reasons:
1) It is FREE
2) It allows me to lock/unlock instantly online or from phone *without additional charges*
3) It allows me to receive email/text alerts anytime someone accesses my TU report (again at no cost).
BHUser, thanks for the heads up about TrueIdentity. Anyone know what their business model is? Why is TransUnion offering this for free when the other credit bureaus have (at least traditionally) been charging for freezes?

BHUser27
Posts: 591
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:07 pm
Location: A Midwestern Town

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by BHUser27 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:03 pm

FiveSigmas wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:00 pm
BHUser, thanks for the heads up about TrueIdentity. Anyone know what their business model is? Why is TransUnion offering this for free when the other credit bureaus have (at least traditionally) been charging for freezes?
See this post and associated links...
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=227408&newpost=3528 ... d#p3528109

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 2947
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:12 pm

BHUser27 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:24 pm
DaftInvestor wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:12 pm
Did you freeze with all agencies? If so, I'm curious to know what benefit you see Trueidentity providing?
(Too be clear - I'm not being sarcastic - I have heard people suggest "Freeze all credit" and "Sign up for monitoring" but fail to see the value in the latter if I have done the former...maybe I'm missing something).
Good questions.
Here is context of my situation:
- I had not frozen *any* of my reports (Big 3 + Chex & Innovis)
- Became interested in doing so last night after the Equifax breach
- Froze Equifax last night and it was FREE.
- Did Chexsystems and Innovis for FREE.
- Was looking to freeze TU and chose to use TrueIdentity instead for three reasons:
1) It is FREE
2) It allows me to lock/unlock instantly online or from phone *without additional charges*
3) It allows me to receive email/text alerts anytime someone accesses my TU report (again at no cost).

- Last step for me will be to freeze Experian (which will cost me a small fee, and again a small fee if I want to 'unfreeze' later)

My main point is that it looks like one can get a decent level of protection across the board for FREE (apart from Experian).

I completely agree that TrueIdentity is not needed for those that have already frozen their TU report.
Thanks for the response BHUser27. Seems worthwhile in case the CC or Loan you apply for happens to use TU (will give you a free thaw).
Equifax wasn't free for me.

FiveSigmas
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:39 am

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by FiveSigmas » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:27 pm

BHUser27 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:03 pm
See this post and associated links...
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=227408&newpost=3528 ... d#p3528109
Thanks again!

FWIW, I can confirm that I too was able to freeze Equifax credit reporting for free using their online portal.

Whakamole
Posts: 457
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:59 pm

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by Whakamole » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:09 pm

I live in Washington State and was also able to get it frozen for free.

User avatar
Nicolas
Posts: 727
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by Nicolas » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:02 pm

I froze Equifax Saturday for both myself and wife, $20 charged to my CC. But the charges are still in pending status, have not posted yet, though my Transunion charges did. Maybe they'll rescind the charges (I'm hoping).

LadyIJ
Posts: 459
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:00 pm

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by LadyIJ » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:29 pm

BHUser27 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:38 pm
wfrobinette wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:16 pm
I don't pay a fee in NJ. But I wonder if they adjusted the terms absconding themselves from liability due to the breach. I didn't read them closely.
I think the terms in question were associated with signing up for the free year of "TrustedID Premier" credit monitoring.
I don't think the terms ever applied to requesting a credit freeze. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on this).

Requesting a credit freeze is an entirely separate process from the TrustedID thingy offered on the special breach website.
I can confirm that requesting a credit freeze online at Equifax is now free, *and* they have fixed the PIN problem.
I was charged $10 by Experian, no charge for Equifax
Last edited by LadyIJ on Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

angelbell
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:15 pm

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by angelbell » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:36 pm

LadyIJ wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:29 pm
BHUser27 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:38 pm
wfrobinette wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:16 pm
I don't pay a fee in NJ. But I wonder if they adjusted the terms absconding themselves from liability due to the breach. I didn't read them closely.
I think the terms in question were associated with signing up for the free year of "TrustedID Premier" credit monitoring.
I don't think the terms ever applied to requesting a credit freeze. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on this).

Requesting a credit freeze is an entirely separate process from the TrustedID thingy offered on the special breach website.
I can confirm that requesting a credit freeze online at Equifax is now free, *and* they have fixed the PIN problem.
NO. I was charged $10 by Equinox just a half hour ago. Possibly because I'm not 65 or over. Highway robbery, for sure.
I just placed a security freeze on my Equifax credit file online. I am NOT 65 or over, and they did NOT charge me anything for placing the freeze. I used the freeze.equifax.com link

Bs3Bound
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:45 pm

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by Bs3Bound » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:52 pm

Freezing your credit report is free for victim's of ID theft.

I wonder if those not charged are confirmed part of the breech and therefore "free" and those charged were not part of the breech?

Just froze my hubby and myself for free on Equifax and received the "may have been impacted".

ztn
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:13 pm

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by ztn » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:53 pm

squirm wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:31 pm
So what's the point of a free year of credit monitoring? It's not like credit card numbers or passwords were stolen... Social security numbers with all the other information will be on the dark web in perpetuity. What's the point of monitoring, they already have your info. This breach is a game changer. Can you change your social security number?

What also gets me is this major breach was barely mentioned on the news.
+1

This - exactly! The Equifax breach is so different from a hack on a store like Target. The Equifax breach isn't really about credit at all - it's so much more than that. Since my name, date of birth and SS# won't change or ever expire, I will forever have the risk of a crafty thief using my info to commit crimes or steal in my name, drain my accounts or who knows what. Security freezes and 2-factor ID are nice concepts but won't stop a smart determined thief who is using my personal info. And that personal info is now out there forever.

LadyIJ
Posts: 459
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:00 pm

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by LadyIJ » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:58 pm

ztn wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:53 pm
squirm wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:31 pm
So what's the point of a free year of credit monitoring? It's not like credit card numbers or passwords were stolen... Social security numbers with all the other information will be on the dark web in perpetuity. What's the point of monitoring, they already have your info. This breach is a game changer. Can you change your social security number?

What also gets me is this major breach was barely mentioned on the news.
+1

This - exactly! The Equifax breach is so different from a hack on a store like Target. The Equifax breach isn't really about credit at all - it's so much more than that. Since my name, date of birth and SS# won't change or ever expire, I will forever have the risk of a crafty thief using my info to commit crimes or steal in my name, drain my accounts or who knows what. Security freezes and 2-factor ID are nice concepts but won't stop a smart determined thief who is using my personal info. And that personal info is now out there forever.
So what to do? We must come up with ways.

ztn
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:13 pm

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by ztn » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:10 pm

LadyIJ wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:58 pm
ztn wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:53 pm
squirm wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:31 pm
So what's the point of a free year of credit monitoring? It's not like credit card numbers or passwords were stolen... Social security numbers with all the other information will be on the dark web in perpetuity. What's the point of monitoring, they already have your info. This breach is a game changer. Can you change your social security number?

What also gets me is this major breach was barely mentioned on the news.
+1

This - exactly! The Equifax breach is so different from a hack on a store like Target. The Equifax breach isn't really about credit at all - it's so much more than that. Since my name, date of birth and SS# won't change or ever expire, I will forever have the risk of a crafty thief using my info to commit crimes or steal in my name, drain my accounts or who knows what. Security freezes and 2-factor ID are nice concepts but won't stop a smart determined thief who is using my personal info. And that personal info is now out there forever.
So what to do? We must come up with ways.
I'm not sure there is any magic bullet for this all because of the info that was hacked - name, address, birthday, ss# - does expire or change (unless you move, of course).
What I have done is freeze my credit at the big 4 + Chexsystems for bank accounts. I have also enabled alerts at my credit cards, banks and brokerages for any transactions. A few banks and brokerages don't offer the alert and I intend to close those accounts.
Sadly, even with the freezes and alerts preventing any new debt or bank accounts in my name it is far from foolproof. All it takes is a slick crook who charms a customer service agent from any of my banks or brokerages or even my cell phone provider in order to gain control of my account(s). After all - the crook will have all of my personal info. It will only take a single inexperienced or weak customer service rep to allow access to the crook and then I'm screwed.

User avatar
Nicolas
Posts: 727
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by Nicolas » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:22 pm

ztn wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:53 pm
squirm wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:31 pm
So what's the point of a free year of credit monitoring? It's not like credit card numbers or passwords were stolen... Social security numbers with all the other information will be on the dark web in perpetuity. What's the point of monitoring, they already have your info. This breach is a game changer. Can you change your social security number?

What also gets me is this major breach was barely mentioned on the news.
+1

This - exactly! The Equifax breach is so different from a hack on a store like Target. The Equifax breach isn't really about credit at all - it's so much more than that. Since my name, date of birth and SS# won't change or ever expire, I will forever have the risk of a crafty thief using my info to commit crimes or steal in my name, drain my accounts or who knows what. Security freezes and 2-factor ID are nice concepts but won't stop a smart determined thief who is using my personal info. And that personal info is now out there forever.
It's not forever. When we're dead the problem will be solved.

squirm
Posts: 1016
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by squirm » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:30 pm

Nicolas wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:22 pm
ztn wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:53 pm
squirm wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:31 pm
So what's the point of a free year of credit monitoring? It's not like credit card numbers or passwords were stolen... Social security numbers with all the other information will be on the dark web in perpetuity. What's the point of monitoring, they already have your info. This breach is a game changer. Can you change your social security number?

What also gets me is this major breach was barely mentioned on the news.
+1

This - exactly! The Equifax breach is so different from a hack on a store like Target. The Equifax breach isn't really about credit at all - it's so much more than that. Since my name, date of birth and SS# won't change or ever expire, I will forever have the risk of a crafty thief using my info to commit crimes or steal in my name, drain my accounts or who knows what. Security freezes and 2-factor ID are nice concepts but won't stop a smart determined thief who is using my personal info. And that personal info is now out there forever.
It's not forever. When we're dead the problem will be solved.
maybe, maybe not. I could see advantages still taking place after your dead. The criminals could possibly alter accounts to collect life insurance payouts. I expect tax scams to increase in the coming years due to all the new and fresh SSN soon to be released.

I just told my wife that the news is filled with the hurricane information, but not word that almost all the adults in this country got their SSN, addresses, etc ripped off.

SimonJester
Posts: 1287
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by SimonJester » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:36 am

squirm wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:30 pm
Nicolas wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:22 pm
It's not forever. When we're dead the problem will be solved.
maybe, maybe not. I could see advantages still taking place after your dead. The criminals could possibly alter accounts to collect life insurance payouts. I expect tax scams to increase in the coming years due to all the new and fresh SSN soon to be released.

I just told my wife that the news is filled with the hurricane information, but not word that almost all the adults in this country got their SSN, addresses, etc ripped off.

Nope this does not go away when you are dead. Social security publishes a master list of all deceased individuals and their SSNs. This makes it very easy for thieves to then use a deceased persons SSN for fraud. This happened to my father when my Step mom passed, a few months after her SSN was being used for medical fraud and then they used her SSN to file a fraudulent tax form and get a refund.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Sunsolar
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:27 pm

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by Sunsolar » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:56 am

They way it worked for me was that placing the freeze on all three agencies was free; the only time I would have to pay was to temporarily unfreeze during a credit card or loan application. That fee for unfreezing was $5 per agency. Well worth it in my opinion. This is news to me that you have to pay to actually do the freeze. In that case, is unfreezing, either permanently or temporarily, free?

soccerdad12
Posts: 339
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:52 am

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by soccerdad12 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:57 am

I think the cost depends on the state you live in. I am not sure why, but I believe that is the case. In my state it is 100% free to freeze and unfreeze.

User avatar
Pajamas
Posts: 2530
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:32 pm

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by Pajamas » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:06 am

Bs3Bound wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:52 pm
Freezing your credit report is free for victim's of ID theft.
Having your information stolen does not make you a victim of identity theft. That would require someone to actually use the information.

pochax
Posts: 1213
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:40 am

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by pochax » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:27 am

NYT is reporting Equifax has agreed to free credit freeze for 30 days:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/12/your ... aiver.html

squirm
Posts: 1016
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by squirm » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:28 am

I'm hoping the criminals who obtained this data turn it into ransomeware. I'd pay $10 in bitcoins to get my data deleted if they offered it. If half the victims did that the thieves would make out with $700 million and still have 70 million accounts to datamine and harvest.

What else could you do? Sometimes you have to put more trust in respected criminals then the gatekeepers.

squirm
Posts: 1016
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by squirm » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:29 am

pochax wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:27 am
NYT is reporting Equifax has agreed to free credit freeze for 30 days:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/12/your ... aiver.html
This is a joke, right?

User avatar
Earl Lemongrab
Posts: 2657
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:14 am

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:22 am

squirm wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:29 am
pochax wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:27 am
NYT is reporting Equifax has agreed to free credit freeze for 30 days:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/12/your ... aiver.html
This is a joke, right?
What do you mean? That's in-line with what people have been reporting, that they have not been charged for credit freezes at Equifax recently. Are you thinking that it means that the freeze is only in place for 30 days? Because that's not what it says.
This week's fortune cookie: "The stock market may be your ticket to success." I sure hope so!

User avatar
Pajamas
Posts: 2530
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:32 pm

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by Pajamas » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:43 am

I think the 30 day free credit freeze is a joke, too. My social security number is now in the hands of hackers due to Equifax's negligence. They should be responsible for providing a free credit freeze and monitoring for life because that's how long there could be consequences. This is just a blip in their business. If anything, they will profit from it from the long run.
Last edited by Pajamas on Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

wrongfunds
Posts: 717
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by wrongfunds » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:43 am

This is where Consumer Protection Buro with some teeth would have come in handy but we as a country have decided that we don't like those type of government interference in our life! Now enjoy the fruit of such shortsightedness.

wrongfunds
Posts: 717
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by wrongfunds » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:24 pm

Equifax server seems to be overloaded. I am getting "unable to service your request" message

Rainmaker41
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:34 am

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by Rainmaker41 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:32 pm

I've been in touch with Equifax across several channels. On social media, Equifax has stated they are not refunding the cost to freeze one's credit report with them, nor are they reimbursing costs to freeze credit with other bureaus.

I suppose that makes sense, since ~ $10 * 3 bureaus * every adult in the US > Equifax's total assets...
My username is not about money, but is my old online gaming username. I can't say that I make a great deal of money; I just hate spending it. Marrying the most loving woman in the world October 2017.

squirm
Posts: 1016
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Equifax - credit freeze is now free?

Post by squirm » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:41 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:22 am
squirm wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:29 am
pochax wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:27 am
NYT is reporting Equifax has agreed to free credit freeze for 30 days:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/12/your ... aiver.html
This is a joke, right?
What do you mean? That's in-line with what people have been reporting, that they have not been charged for credit freezes at Equifax recently. Are you thinking that it means that the freeze is only in place for 30 days? Because that's not what it says.
Honestly, at this point what difference does it make? Ten years from now your sensitive data will still be available and still for sale...20 years from now, same thing....30years from now, same....
so who cares about 30 days of free account freezes...or 90 days, or 120 days....

It's mind blowing this happened and i have a feeling your average person thinks they just need to change a password. My next cyber security class shall be interesting and i plan on asking the professor what he thinks of this mess.

It is my understanding that this has turned into ransomeware and the thieves are asking 600 bitcoins for the whole lot of data.

Post Reply