Take car to dealer before warranty expires?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
nobodyukno

Take car to dealer before warranty expires?

Post by nobodyukno » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:38 pm

I have a 2016 Mazda 6 and I'm coming up on the 36,000 mile basic warranty. I am also due for my state inspection and an oil change. The dealer will charge me $86 for the inspection when I can probably get it for $50-60 elsewhere at least. The dealer will also charge me at least $60 for an oil change.

Is it worth it taking the car to the dealer for these services as this is the last time I'll get my car serviced before I hit 36,000 miles?

hand

Re: Take car to dealer before warranty expires?

Post by hand » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:55 pm

I would.

For less than a $100 premium for required services at the dealer, you get the possibility that they identify and fix warranty and recall issues.
Staying away from dealer makes sense if you think dealer may be more motivated to minimize issues to reduce warranty costs than to do work paid for by manufacturer, or if you're susceptible to the hard sell of additional overpriced services (air filter anyone?)

Be sure to mention this is the final check-up before the end of the warranty and explicitly ask them to check for issues / recall items.

JPH

Post by JPH » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:59 pm

I don't take my car to the dealer unless there is a warranty covered item that needs repair. I have a trusted private mechanic to do maintenance. When the warranty expires, he will do everything.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:01 pm

There isn't anything your dealer will check that another mechanic cant check as well. Don't waste the money. At 36k, there is very little that could be wrong with your car that wouldn't already be identified on the mazda forums.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:55 pm

@$60 per oil change , run, don't walk, away from this highway robbery!

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:36 pm

You don't need to pay those prices to get the dealer to look at it, just call them up and ask them to look at the car because your warranty is about up. I would think at most they would charge you for an hour of labor. I have always done that since the service department at the dealership should know what types of things tend to be a problem with that model.

You also need to check the details of the warranty for the car. I didn't check Mazda but most manufacturers also have a longer powertrain warranty that often goes for five years and 60K miles. That covers a lot of the big stuff so if the engine has a problem in six months you may be OK. With a powertrain warranty that goes on longer you would be more concerned about things like the A/C or the stereo that would not be covered after the full warranty expires.

Just FYI. They usually are not a great value but you can also usually still buy an extended warranty up until the time the full warranty expires. You would only want to by the manufacturers extended warranty The price of these is very negotiable and you can buy it from any Mazda dealer, even on the other side if the country. There are likely Mazda forums that you can look at to find the dealers that will sell them for good prices.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:01 pm

It depends.

If the dealer will give your car a complimentary "look-over" while you are there for an oil change and state inspection, I wouldn't worry about it. If they are going to charge you $xxx.xx for a 36-month inspection, I would pass.

The dealer for my car (not a Mazda) does such a complimentary "look-over" every time I take it in, obviously with the hopes of selling me something.

The independent garage where we have been taking other vehicles has recently begun charging $30 for the same thing. It is one of the reasons we are weaning our business from them. So if it were my situation, I would go with the dealer in a heartbeat. But your situation is different.

The difference in cost for the one-time check that you are considering will be almost negligible between the two in the grand scheme of things. Choose whichever route allows you to sleep more comfortably.

fundseeker

Post by fundseeker » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:46 am

hand wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:55 pm
I would. For less than a $100 premium for required services at the dealer, you get the possibility that they identify and fix warranty and recall issues.
+1 for this. And I would mention any type of odd noises that you've heard, so that if they become real problems later, the dealer has a record of your complaint and the manufacturer may fix the problem down the road for free.
bob60014 wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:55 pm
@$60 per oil change , run, don't walk, away from this highway robbery!
That is not a bad price. I do my own oil changes with synthetic oil, and a five quart jug from Walmart plus a good filter costs almost $40. So, it is worth the extra $20 to have someone else do it, and to have that event logged into their records and on Carfax. Let the dealer do at least this oil change.

BUT, don't let them up sell you on anything. You don't need to pay for some 36k maintenance package for a few hundred dollars that is not specifically listed in the owners manual. Good luck!

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:55 am

I had a similar thought recently. I have a 2011 that I normally have serviced at a non-dealer shop. It's well past warranty but for my last oil change I thought it might be worthwhile taking it to the dealer, thinking that every now and then it's probably good to have the "experts" put an eyeball on the car. Sooo...they said one headlight was out and that since it was a high intensity xenon type it also needed a new ballast. I think the total estimate was $745. I went on-line and learned that it is incredibly expensive to have these lights/ballasts replaced (although I'm sure I could have had it done elsewhere for less.) BUT, further research on my part showed that the xenon lights didn't come with the model I have; it's only on the pricier model. Mine has halogen bulbs that are much cheaper/easier to replace. So much for the "experts". Had a follow up chat with the service manager that was essentially non-productive. That band of "experts" won't be servicing my car again. Nor will that dealership sell me my next car.
Friar1610

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:14 am

Yes, dealerships do make mistakes. About 12 years ago I was told I needed a new value cover gasket by the $$tealership. I declined...I have yet to add any oil whatsoever, save for oil changes, since their faulty diagnosis.
There are good dealerships and poor dealerships.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:37 am

$60 is a not a bad price for an oil change (assuming synthetic oil) these days, especially if that price includes the complimentary inspection and car wash that many dealers provide. I pay that much at my independent mechanic. (Note: Some people, especially those with older cars, may still be buying non-synthetic oil. They likely pay $20 a change, but you can't get synthetic oil for that price anywhere.). Just get your state inspection done elsewhere.