Freeze Credit for free without police report

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Rainmaker41

Freeze Credit for free without police report

Post by Rainmaker41 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:36 am

I'm planning to write all three credit bureaus demanding they freeze our credit for free, and attaching an article about the Equifax leak in lieu of a police report.

Or should I pay the $10 fee x 2 people x 3 bureaus = $60, and then sue Equifax for that amount plus time and stress?
My username is not about money, but is my old online gaming username. I can't say that I make a great deal of money; I just hate spending it. Married the most loving woman in the world October 2017.

lthenderson

Re: Freeze Credit for free without police report

Post by lthenderson » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:39 am

Did you check on the Equifax website to see if you were effected?

https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/potential-impact/

Rainmaker41

Post by Rainmaker41 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:43 am

I got the 'check back on 9/12 to sign up', which implies I was affected.

When T-Mobile customers' SSNs were leaked by Experian 2 years ago, I signed up for the 2 year monitoring (which expires in 43 days...). I was then told I couldn't join the class action lawsuit.

This time around, I'm thinking joining a lawsuit rather than signing up for useless monitoring will at least make me feel better.

PSA: I signed up for TransUnion's free basic credit monitoring, and it seems to come with $25,000 in identity theft insurance which surprised me.
My username is not about money, but is my old online gaming username. I can't say that I make a great deal of money; I just hate spending it. Married the most loving woman in the world October 2017.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:46 am

Rainmaker41 wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:43 am
Does it? I am not sure. I got the same message you did, a friend was told straight up he was likely compromised and to enroll now. I entered fake data and it said it wasn't compromised. I found the message irritatingly ambiguous.
Run, You Clever Boy!

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:50 am

TheTimeLord wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:46 am
Rainmaker41 wrote:
Does it? I am not sure. I got the same message you did, a friend was told straight up he was likely compromised and to enroll now. I entered fake data and it said it wasn't compromised. I found the message irritatingly ambiguous.
When I checked my info, their site said my data wasn't included in the breach.

I'm not terribly worried anyway since I've had my credit frozen for several years now. I just figure that with all the breaches these last five years across multiple huge entities, every single SSN number is probably floating around out there by now.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:52 am

Rainmaker41 wrote:

When T-Mobile customers' SSNs were leaked by Experian 2 years ago, I signed up for the 2 year monitoring (which expires in 43 days...). I was then told I couldn't join the class action lawsuit.

This time around, I'm thinking joining a lawsuit rather than signing up for useless monitoring will at least make me feel better.

PSA: I signed up for TransUnion's free basic credit monitoring, and it seems to come with $25,000 in identity theft insurance which surprised me.
I got the same message and at first thought that they were implying that I was affected, but not necessarily: on the page you go to sign up on that they are offering the credit monitoring to "all U.S. consumers". Also seems odd that they gave me an enrollment date of next week and are also not giving another reminder if I am actually affected.

https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/

The free monitoring from the last incident I was NOT involved in just expired last month. They often offer it free to anyone. It doesn't cost them much to do that and they probably get enough new paying customers that way to make it more than worth the cost.
lthenderson wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:50 am

I'm not terribly worried anyway since I've had my credit frozen for several years now. I just figure that with all the breaches these last five years across multiple huge entities, every single SSN number is probably floating around out there by now.
I am guessing that if you DON'T get the offer to enroll, that the information that you provided (last name, last six digits of Social Security number) is not in their database, or else it is because you had your credit frozen.
Last edited by Pajamas on Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

BarryB

Post by BarryB » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:57 am

There is a lengthy post related to the Equifax breach in the Personal Finance forum. It would probably benefit everyone in this group if separate posts related to this were kept to a minimum.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:01 am

lthenderson wrote:
TheTimeLord wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:46 am
Rainmaker41 wrote:

It isn't any particular element of data such as SSN that is terribly unique in this breach rather that such a large bundle of identifying data elements were available from one source.
Run, You Clever Boy!

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:11 am

Pajamas wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:52 am
lthenderson wrote:

I am guessing that if you DON'T get the offer to enroll, that the information that you provided (last name, last six digits of Social Security number) is not in their database, or else it is because you had your credit frozen.
It did provide a button to enroll after the splurb about my data not being affected. I just closed the box at that point since I don't see an advantage to enrolling when my credit is already frozen.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:43 am

@#$%^!

Wife and I both "might be affected".

Signed us both up for the free program.

My date to return is 9/11, her date is 9/13.

Broken Man 1999

ETA: If Discover can find these "dark" sites with all the credit/SS numbers floating about, why can't law enforcement entities?

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:02 am

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:43 am
If Discover can find these "dark" sites with all the credit/SS numbers floating about, why can't law enforcement entities?

Broken Man 1999
They can, but they're often based in foreign countries. So there's no jurisdiction to do anything about them. Even when they do shut them down, they just reopen somewhere else in about a minute. They're moving targets. Which is why everyone should just freeze their credit. You cannot protect your personal information anymore. Your government cannot protect your personal information. And the corporations you do business with certainly aren't interested in doing it.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:05 am

I'm thinking of closing most of my credit cards and just freeze my credit also.
Such a nuisance.

vbdoug

Post by vbdoug » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:21 pm

The second poster provided a link for Equifax security. I did not use it, but went to equifax.com and accessed it directly through them. It was the same web site as provided by the poster and totally legitimate, but it made me think. After all we hear about phishing and whatnot, how many people clicked on a link from someone they do not know?

Rainmaker41

Post by Rainmaker41 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:58 pm

It looks like Equifax put out the usual free credit monitoring (but no identity theft resolution service, let alone insurance, is included) for a year in exchange for surrendering the right to sue in court.

I've now given up and decided to just freeze my credit reports at all three bureaus; Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion. Equifax cost $10, Experian was $10.38, and TransUnion for some reason was free. While annoying, the one-time fees are cheaper than the premium monitoring services of questionable value. I already have a couple free monitoring services and monitor myself manually anyway.

I suppose we all just have to accept keeping our credit frozen by default and only proactively making temporary lifts when opening new financial accounts, leases, or mortgages anywhere.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:03 pm

There is no need to close current cc, unless they were the ones affected by the breach. Cc are such a convenience, I can't imagine doing without.

hlfo718

Post by hlfo718 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:57 pm

Unless they waive the no lawsuit language, I will not sign up. We all can have access to the same with Credit Sesame and Karma. Why waive the right to sue in case some hackers screw up my credit?

Rainmaker41

Post by Rainmaker41 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:28 pm

Equifax's total assets in 2016 were 6.664 billion dollars according to Wikipedia. Even were the company dismantled and everything down to the last stapler sold at auction, dividing that sum by the 143 million people impacted by the data breach comes to just $46.60 each.

:annoyed

This goes beyond one company; I say it's a national structural and regulatory/political issue. A couple $20's each doesn't fix the problem.

orlandoman

Post by orlandoman » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:51 pm

A credit freeze is an effective tool in preventing the most costly and difficult-to-detect form of identity theft ― false new accounts opened in your name. New account fraud occurs when a thief uses the victim's personal information to open up one or more new accounts for credit or services in the victim's name.

A credit freeze does nothing to help in the situation where someone has stolen your existing credit card information and uses that for fraudulent transactions.
Subaru Ambassador in Central Florida

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:59 pm

Be sure to sign up for real time alerts available from the credit card companies. If something is fishy you will know about it immediately.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:12 pm

hlfo718 wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:57 pm
Unless they waive the no lawsuit language, I will not sign up. We all can have access to the same with Credit Sesame and Karma. Why waive the right to sue in case some hackers screw up my credit?
According to Bloomberg, signing up for credit monitoring might involve agreeing to arbitration
After Equifax Inc. revealed sensitive data on two of every five Americans was compromised in a cyberattack, thousands of users logged onto a website the company had set up to see if they were at risk. For many, the website didn’t even work at first. But for those who got through, a nasty surprise was waiting.

If your data had been stolen, Equifax offered one free year of the company’s credit monitoring service known as “TrustedID Premier.” But some fine print also included on the website may mean that consumers who agree would be giving up the right to sue over many types of damages claims related to the massive penetration of its database.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ion-clause
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

nalor511

Post by nalor511 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:24 pm

jebmke wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:12 pm
hlfo718 wrote:
According to Bloomberg, signing up for credit monitoring might involve agreeing to arbitration
After Equifax Inc. revealed sensitive data on two of every five Americans was compromised in a cyberattack, thousands of users logged onto a website the company had set up to see if they were at risk. For many, the website didn’t even work at first. But for those who got through, a nasty surprise was waiting.

If your data had been stolen, Equifax offered one free year of the company’s credit monitoring service known as “TrustedID Premier.” But some fine print also included on the website may mean that consumers who agree would be giving up the right to sue over many types of damages claims related to the massive penetration of its database.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ion-clause
https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/

2). NO WAIVER OF RIGHTS FOR THIS CYBER SECURITY INCIDENT
In response to consumer inquiries, we have made it clear that the arbitration clause and class action waiver included in the Equifax and TrustedID Premier terms of use does not apply to this cybersecurity incident.

ERISA Stone

Post by ERISA Stone » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:29 pm

Clark Howard's website includes a post from Equifax that states this cybersecurity breach is not included when their contract refers to waiving your rights to a class action lawsuit.

http://clark.com/personal-finance-credi ... nic-social

I usually don't bat an eye at these breaches but it is alarming at how much identifiable information was stolen.

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:41 pm

lthenderson wrote:
One article I read said that for some people their driver's license number was also taken. That is important since that is used to help verify your identity for filing tax returns. That could give you more risk that someone will file a fake tax return with your information which can be a pain especially if you are expecting a large refund.

ERISA Stone

Post by ERISA Stone » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:55 pm

Another thing Clark mentioned - he received different answers from the Equifax website on if he was likely affected or not. He received one answer that he probably wasn't, and another that he probably was.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:31 pm

hlfo718 wrote:
Already been a class action filed in this matter (anticipating $70 billion judgment). You are automatically a member of the class (and might actually get $0.05) unless you specifically opt out so you can sue individually. More instructions will follow.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:46 am

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:05 am
Closing credit cards makes no sense. Those are abundantly protected by law and closely monitored by the companies. Most alternatives are less secure.
This week's fortune cookie: "You will do well to expand your horizons." Ow. Passive-aggressive and vaguely ominous.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:54 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:46 am
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:05 am
Closing credit cards makes no sense. Those are abundantly protected by law and closely monitored by the companies. Most alternatives are less secure.
Not all. Just the ones I opened to get rewards. I would have closed them later, but now with this Equifax problem, I won't take chances. I now still have 3 credit cards, one Costco visa, one British Airways visa for international traveling, one from PenFed, just in case British Airways card doesn't work overseas.