Sport Rx Glasses (for Mountain Biking)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
guitarguy

Sport Rx Glasses (for Mountain Biking)

Post by guitarguy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:43 am

Hey all!

So I've been wearing my Ray Ban Rx sunglasses while riding for the last couple of months and they've been great. I wear them when I'm doing anything outdoors or athletic. But, the group rides that happen at my local trail I'm planning to join up with run in the evening, and with fall approaching, sunglasses soon won't be the way to go while on these rides that go right into dusk and the sun sets.

In the past I've used Replace A Lens to order replacement Rx lenses for my glasses and sunglasses. So, what I'd like to do, is find a decent "sport" type frame that will give a close tight athletic fit and do a good job at blocking the wind and anything else coming my way, and then either send to Replace A Lens to have Rx lenses cut as I've done in the past, or just do the Rx at the store. Whatever makes sense.

1. Any suggestions on where to buy a sport frame that would be able to be sent in to have lenses cut? I would like to get something reasonably priced, but at the same time Idon't mind spending a bit of money to get something that will be comfortable and fit well. I don't regret the $100 or whatever I spent on my Ray Bans because they are so comfortable and I wear them all the time.

2. Anything specific to consider or look for when looking for a frame of this type?

3. Any recommendations from bikers or mtb'ers on clear vs a slight yellow or grey tint? Just curious on this...the tints might look cool. Which of course is important. :mrgreen:

bloom2708

Re: Sport Rx Glasses (for Mountain Biking)

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:12 am

I would buy a couple different "sport" pairs on Zenni Optical.

You can tint the lenses. For ~$20 to $30 you can use them and not fear breaking them or losing a pair. Many different sport frames available.

You get a signed copy of your prescription. Import/upload a copy. Upload a photo of your face and you can try on glasses "virtually".

I have a pair that was $15 that I wear all the time. If you are in to brand names and spending a lot, this is not the way to go.

Costco would be another option.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

FrugalConservative

Post by FrugalConservative » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:15 am

Agree, try Zenni.

mrb09

Post by mrb09 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:33 am

I have some Rudy Project frames I got from my optician, they have RX photochromic lenses. I got them for the same reason you're looking at, evening rides.

I really like them, although they weren't cheap, they're worth it to me. I wear them for both mountain bike and road bike rides. Before that, I had some frames with an RX insert, which I was never quite happy with.

open_circuit

Post by open_circuit » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:52 am

I bought some of these http://www.zennioptical.com/sport-eyegl ... 01712.html about 5 years ago for mountain biking. They work adequately. I would not say I am particularly pleased or displeased with them.

I found, however, that I much preferred to wear contacts when doing active things like mountain biking. I then use normal sunglasses with interchangeable tint lenses. I used to ride a lot of cross-country trails that frequently brought me in and out of the woods. For these rides, I wanted limited tint on my lenses, else I would have a hard time seeing things beneath the shade of the trees.

CFIT

Post by CFIT » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm

You can order bicycling glasses with prescriptions from https://www.sportrx.com/ . They have Oakley, Rudy Project, Smith and others. I bought a pair of Revo sunglasses with progressive lenses from them back in April and have used them as my riding glasses. I'm local so I was able to visit the store first. Not inexpensive though.

calmaniac

Post by calmaniac » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:05 pm

Sportrx is great! I've used them for the past 4-5 years and I've been impressed by the customer service, quality of advice and quality of the product. All at a fair price.

For road cycling I bought a pair of Oakley's with prescription Transitions lenses. I love Transitions as they are the perfect lens no matter the time of day. I use them for night bike commuting home from work and day rides on sunny days. Not cheap, but a fair price.

The one negative with Transitions is that they don't darken well in a car. So, I bought one of the Sportrx in house frames (the "Streak") for prescription sunglasses, $100 for everything (frame, Rx lenses, shipping). Great deal!

Sportrx has a very straightforward price calculator on the web site, so you can figure out how much each extra bell or whistle costs.

helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:43 pm

guitarguy wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:43 am
Hey all!

So I've been wearing my Ray Ban Rx sunglasses while riding for the last couple of months and they've been great. I wear them when I'm doing anything outdoors or athletic. But, the group rides that happen at my local trail I'm planning to join up with run in the evening, and with fall approaching, sunglasses soon won't be the way to go while on these rides that go right into dusk and the sun sets.

In the past I've used Replace A Lens to order replacement Rx lenses for my glasses and sunglasses. So, what I'd like to do, is find a decent "sport" type frame that will give a close tight athletic fit and do a good job at blocking the wind and anything else coming my way, and then either send to Replace A Lens to have Rx lenses cut as I've done in the past, or just do the Rx at the store. Whatever makes sense.

1. Any suggestions on where to buy a sport frame that would be able to be sent in to have lenses cut? I would like to get something reasonably priced, but at the same time Idon't mind spending a bit of money to get something that will be comfortable and fit well. I don't regret the $100 or whatever I spent on my Ray Bans because they are so comfortable and I wear them all the time.

2. Anything specific to consider or look for when looking for a frame of this type?

3. Any recommendations from bikers or mtb'ers on clear vs a slight yellow or grey tint? Just curious on this...the tints might look cool. Which of course is important. :mrgreen:
https://www.playgoodr.com

great fit. look good. stay on. and only $25 so if you like them you can just get new ones whenever lenses go bad

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:12 am

Thanks for all the responses everyone!!

Sportrx looks like they have some good looking options and actually have some fairly reasonably priced options! I looked over Zenni and wasn't impressed.

Now a question for cyclists...what is a good tint to go with?

I've been trail riding during the day so far and have been happy wearing regular sunglasses with a fairly typical dark tint. They work great in sunny conditions when the trail opens up and still seem fine in the deeper woods where it's all shaded.

This pair, I'm looking for something with not as dark of a tint that I can wear if I ride in the evening and/or if the sun will be starting to go down during my ride. Or, something that will be appropriate for all riding conditions...something that's good in the woods and/or as the sun sets, but also has enough protection in the open. Not sure if these exist or not!

On the sportrx site, I can choose like an amber tint at various levels. It says good for overcast. Would a "medium" tint of this kind make sense a ride that starts at full daylight and ends at dusk?

To be clear, I'm not talking about full night riding where a light is required. The leaders of this group ride have said that lights on your bike aren't needed, so the ride doesn't run into full night conditions.

boglemania

Post by boglemania » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:11 pm

Saw optometrist and he had some advice.
Best ROSE for going in and out of shade on mtn bike trails where technical/features could trip you up.
He recommends prescription glasses once you need them; ain't cheap but sure make a difference.

My question; I do triaths and am in aero bars so looking up to see distant road. Frames obscure the view; so got frameless like Tifolsi from Amazon, but the center nosepiece still obscures some of my vision. Any suggestions on cycling glasses for this problem?
Thanks!