Places to see in Chicago

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Raybo

Places to see in Chicago

Post by Raybo » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:48 pm

Next week, I'm flying to Chicago to visit my good friend who is a native born Chicagoan. After 3 weekend days (He's taking Friday off) with him, I'll have 2 on my own. I'm not sure what he and I will do/see, so I thought I get some suggestions on some places I might visit myself.

I'm pretty sure we won't go to the Art Institute, so that is on my solo agenda. Any other places you'd recommend?

Since I am a docent at Alcatraz, I was wondering about an Al Capone tour. Anyone been on one of them? Are they any good for someone who is somewhat familiar with Al's life?
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.

bcc1234

Re: Places to see in Chicago

Post by bcc1234 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:01 pm

Go to a Cubs game. Get there early and enjoy Wrigleyville. Looks like they're in town. Tickets are ALWAYS available on stubhub.com.

Take the train.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:01 pm

I go to Chicago about once a year to consult. One time I got a CityPASS and did all the usual stuff. The riverboat architectural tour was something I enjoyed. I have not done an Al Capone tour, so I hope you go and let us know about it.

The Rolling Stones Exhitionism is no longer in Chicago, otherwise I would say go to that, too. (It is on its way to Las Vegas.)

Otherwise, you got all the stuff on the CityPass to do.

If you like mini-golf, there is a simple, but nice, course in Maggie Daley Park by Millennium Park which itself is something you won't find anywhere else in the world. Mini-golf is best with friends, but I played alone when I came upon the course to keep my skills sharp.
Last edited by livesoft on Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

bcc1234

Post by bcc1234 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:04 pm

There's also a great Chicago River boat tour. If the weather is good, it's a great half day excursion.

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:18 pm

We went to the John Hancock building Signature Room on the 95th. I wasn't very pleased with it -> I think the observation deck would have been better. The food wasn't very good for the money, the service was sub-par and you don't even get any decent views unless you are lucky enough to get a table right at a window. I hear the women's restroom actually has the best views.

We walked the "Magnificent Mile" since my wife was very interested in doing that.

Checked out the "bean" in the park. They had quite a lively jazz festival going on at that time.

I requested a Cubs game at Wrigley field and loved it.

We also went to a top notch steak house. I can't remember the name but it was around $70 for my meal and $60 for hers and probably one of the best meals per dollar I've spent (exceeded the high dollar steakhouses in Seattle, Metropolitan Grill and equal food to El Gaucho but at a more reasonable price). Their in-house made bacon was amazing and we sat at the bar with the most engaging bartender whose every suggestion was 100% spot on.

Other than that, we mostly just walked around along the water front, or through the parks.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:37 pm

Go to The Second City, the best comedy club in America.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Globalviewer58

Post by Globalviewer58 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:44 pm

Relatively new attraction is the Riverwalk extending from the lake front to Wolf Point. Lots of restaurants and people watching if you want to experience the Chicago River area on foot. If you elect to take the Architectural Cruise you will pass the same sights while the guide describes the buildings and local lore.

With your cycling passion you might enjoy renting a Divvy bike to get around downtown.

I find the T-Rex exhibit at the Field Museum to be worth seeing but the other permanent exhibits are not much of a draw.

Another free activity is the Cloudgate sculpture at Millennium Park. This is near Maggie Daley Park and Buckingham Fountain.

lightnoise

Post by lightnoise » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:53 pm

Raybo wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:48 pm
Next week, I'm flying to Chicago to visit my good friend who is a native born Chicagoan. After 3 weekend days (He's taking Friday off) with him, I'll have 2 on my own. I'm not sure what he and I will do/see, so I thought I get some suggestions on some places I might visit myself.

I'm pretty sure we won't go to the Art Institute, so that is on my solo agenda. Any other places you'd recommend?

Since I am a docent at Alcatraz, I was wondering about an Al Capone tour. Anyone been on one of them? Are they any good for someone who is somewhat familiar with Al's life?
Speaking of Al Capone, check out the Green Mill Lounge in the Uptown neighborhood.

"Green Mill Cocktail Lounge" on @Wikipedia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_M ... prov=sfti1

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:56 pm

Do a walking architecture tour - Magnificent Mile, etc. Having a book helps.

Gino's East or somewhere for deep dish "pizza" (be prepared, it is not really pizza).

Rick Bayless restaurants (Frontera Grill, Topolobompo, Xolo...they are all good).

Field Museum

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:58 pm

Buckingham Fountain (an night)

Museum of Science and Industry
Gordon

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:03 pm

Several good ideas have been mentioned. Best to go to the Tripadvisor Chicago forum, read some of the posts and read the Things To Do In Chicago.

Millennium Park, Michigan Ave, Rush Street, Hancock Tower (go to the Signature Room Bar for a drink. No fee other than a drink and great views!) Driehus Museum to experience how the movers and shakers lived after the great fire....you really won't have a problem finding things to do..
Forget the Capone stuff, tourist traps!

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:05 pm

Field Museum, river architecture tour, and food are 3 things I recommend. Maybe a blues club if you're into that sort of thing. Please let me know if you find a good AL tour as I'm in Chicago probably every other month and it sounds interesting.

Go to Girl and the Goat or Au Cheval if you can get a reservation.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:09 pm

Sunday night go to B.L.U.E.S, pay to get in and you also get into Kingston Mines a block away for free. The Wild Hare (Reggae Club) is within a block as well.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:13 pm

aristotelian wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:56 pm

Gino's East or somewhere for deep dish "pizza" (be prepared, it is not really pizza).
Bring a wheelbarrow to take any leftovers home.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:29 pm

Globalviewer58 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:44 pm
I find the T-Rex exhibit at the Field Museum to be worth seeing but the other permanent exhibits are not much of a draw.
Also at the Field Museum: The Cyrus Tang Hall of China is absolutely outstanding. I had a long discussion with a docent who was extremely knowledgable and personable. He was also a baseball fan. :)

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:18 pm

If you're interested in architecture, Chicago has plenty of great examples from the late 19th and the 20th centuries. Plus Oak Park is mecca for Frank Lloyd Wright fans and the IIT campus is a Mies van der Rohe showcase.

http://www.architecture.org/architectur ... f-chicago/

psteinx

Post by psteinx » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:52 pm

Deep dish pizza, of course.

Also, if you like German food - The Berghof.

Millenium Park, Magnificent Mile, Wrigley/Cubs...

22twain

Post by 22twain » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:53 pm

My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

Fclevz

Post by Fclevz » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:11 pm

livesoft wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:29 pm
Globalviewer58 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:44 pm
Also at the Field Museum: The Cyrus Tang Hall of China is absolutely outstanding. I had a long discussion with a docent who was extremely knowledgable and personable. He was also a baseball fan. :)
If you're going to hit The Field Museum, the Shedd Aquarium is right next door.

CaliJim

Post by CaliJim » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:01 pm

bcc1234 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:04 pm
There's also a great Chicago River boat tour. If the weather is good, it's a great half day excursion.
This. There is a lot of great architecture as another said. Go on a boat tour that has a good architecture docent.
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki

e5116

Post by e5116 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:28 pm

While the suggestions thus far are all good, as a native Chicagoan I've got to suggest to try to visit some neighborhoods besides downtown to truly get a sense of the city (which some people have already done admittedly). Get some authentic Mexican at a taqueria in Pilsen, get some Vietnamese on Argyle or Ethiopian cuisine in Edgewater and check out a Jazz show in Uptown, visit a Ukrainian deli in the Ukrainian Village, check out a Swedish bakery in Andersonville, etc. Just walking around Lincoln Park on a nice fall day and visiting the shops and restaurants on Armitage, for example, would be an enjoyable way to spend time.

Although visiting the Fulton Market District on the near West side is also a must, but 0.0% chance you can get a reservation at girl and the goat only a week out....need more like 5 months in advance. I don't think Au Cheval even takes reservations. But there are a lot of of good eats around there. I second a show at Second City in Old town. There are multiple stages there so you can see a cheaper more intimate show with less established improvisers should you choose. I do like the architectural boat tours as I'm an architect buff and a Cubs game is always a sight to behold but tickets will be pricey right now as they're a hot ticket.

As far as food, need to get a hot Italian beef, a Chicago style hot dog, deep dish pizza, and a good steak for the authentic Chicago experience, but Chicago has some of the best cuisine in the world across the spectrum if you're a foodie and want to partake. Check out the Michelin guides Bib Gourmand list for good spots that aren't as crazy popular and expensive as those with actual Michelin stars.

Have fun!

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:40 am

My archi boat tour was hosted by by an actor who played in musical comedies, so it was a show all by itself.

Kersten

Post by Kersten » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:45 am

FYI-The Art Institute is free for educators, if you are or have been one. Go downstairs to the front desk of the Children's Museum, show your ID and get a free pass for the year. Haven't been there in a few years but I am assuming that the pass is still available. Also sign up for a docent tour. After years of visiting art museums and taking docent tours, I have never been disappointed.

Ditto on the suggestions of jazz clubs-great in Chicago.

mxs

Post by mxs » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:08 am

Navy Pier (north) to Soldier Field / McCormick Place (south) is a pretty big outside area on the Lake Michigan shore with lots of open green space and things to do (Navy Pier, Millenium Park, Chicago Art Institute, Grant Park, Shedd Aquarium, Adler Planetarium, The Field Museum, Soldier Field...

Wrigleyville and a Cubs game at Wrigley Field if you are a baseball fan at all. Aragon Ballroom if a band or music style you like is playing while you are there. If you happen to be around O'Hare with free time, the Rosemont Theatre has good shows and MB Financial Park is a neat place.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:12 am

We take Amtrak to Chicago (usually a five hour ride) for an overnight trip about once a year. We generally hit up Millennial Park, Fields Museum, Shed Aquarium (for the kids) and Navy Pier. Another favorite of ours is their extensive Chinatown. There is an excellent place that does dim sum there that we always eat at and if you are into authentic Chinese food, there are dozens of places to try out and all have been great. We usually buy the CityPass so we can ride any of the mass transportation while we are there. If you are into architecture, Frank Lloyd Wright also has several building throughout the area.

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:22 am

If you go to the Art Institute of Chicago: http://www.artic.edu
also visit the Palmer House for coffee or a drink: http://www.palmerhousehiltonhotel.com
it is down the street from the museum. The lobby is amazing.
Best Wishes, | Joe

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:42 am

e5116 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:28 pm
While the suggestions thus far are all good, as a native Chicagoan I've got to suggest to try to visit some neighborhoods besides downtown to truly get a sense of the city (which some people have already done admittedly). Get some authentic Mexican at a taqueria in Pilsen, get some Vietnamese on Argyle or Ethiopian cuisine in Edgewater and check out a Jazz show in Uptown, visit a Ukrainian deli in the Ukrainian Village, check out a Swedish bakery in Andersonville, etc. Just walking around Lincoln Park on a nice fall day and visiting the shops and restaurants on Armitage, for example, would be an enjoyable way to spend time.

Although visiting the Fulton Market District on the near West side is also a must, but 0.0% chance you can get a reservation at girl and the goat only a week out....need more like 5 months in advance. I don't think Au Cheval even takes reservations. But there are a lot of of good eats around there. I second a show at Second City in Old town. There are multiple stages there so you can see a cheaper more intimate show with less established improvisers should you choose. I do like the architectural boat tours as I'm an architect buff and a Cubs game is always a sight to behold but tickets will be pricey right now as they're a hot ticket.

As far as food, need to get a hot Italian beef, a Chicago style hot dog, deep dish pizza, and a good steak for the authentic Chicago experience, but Chicago has some of the best cuisine in the world across the spectrum if you're a foodie and want to partake. Check out the Michelin guides Bib Gourmand list for good spots that aren't as crazy popular and expensive as those with actual Michelin stars.

Have fun!
I agree about checking out different neighborhoods. I particularly like Wicker Park/Bucktown and West loop/Fulton for bars/restaurants.

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:40 pm

Get a bicycle Divy or bring your own if possible. Check out the food. Pizza, China Town, a ride down the Lake Shore Bike Path from the North Side through the loop to the Museum of Science and Industry on the South Side. Bike up the North Branch Trail to the Chicago Botanic Gardens (or take Metra). Bike or take Metra to a concert at Ravinia.

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:22 pm

JMacDonald wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:22 am
also visit the Palmer House for coffee or a drink: http://www.palmerhousehiltonhotel.com
it is down the street from the museum. The lobby is amazing.
Sadly, they got rid of the marvelously retro Trader Vic's that used to be in the basement.

Luckily, there's still the Hala Kahiki, which I consider a must-visit when I'm in Chicago (if I have the time... it's out in River Grove): http://chicagotikibar.com/
Stay on target...

MP173

Post by MP173 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:29 pm

One does not even need to take an architectural boat tour. Simply take the water taxi down to Chinatown and have lunch there. It should be a pleasant ride.

So much good stuff to do and eat in the city. I would suggest stretching out a bit to the neighborhoods. If you are out on Grand Avenue, stop at Damato Bakery for great treats. Across the street is Terry's Toffee. Also on the corner is Bari Deli. Best corner in the city.

I also endorse a bike ride, particularly early morning along the lake on the path.

Ed

anonenigma

Post by anonenigma » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:13 am

Alas, only for current Illinois educators.
Kersten wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:45 am
FYI-The Art Institute is free for educators, if you are or have been one. Go downstairs to the front desk of the Children's Museum, show your ID and get a free pass for the year. Haven't been there in a few years but I am assuming that the pass is still available. Also sign up for a docent tour. After years of visiting art museums and taking docent tours, I have never been disappointed.

Ditto on the suggestions of jazz clubs-great in Chicago.

gsmith

Post by gsmith » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:04 am

I second the Palmer House if you go to the Art Institute, at least for drink in the lounge...
Lincoln Park Zoo, Chicago Pizza & Oven Grinder is across the street from St. Val day massacre garage (make sure to get there when they open).
If your're into Capone, I'd try the Chicago History Museum. They have a lot on the Exhibition, the Chicago Fire, Prohibition, etc.
Most locals won't be able to tell you much about prohibition, we have enough corruption in the present (4 of last 7 governors went to prison), and trying to shake off that reputation.

Instead of going to the observation floor in the Hancock, grab a drink or two at the Signature Room Lounge.
I would recommend a tour of Hyde Park, and the University of Chicago (don't go to far away from UofC)

Psistaria Taverna has the best greek food, but it's in the northern suburbs. (Lincolnwood)
Chicago Shakespeare Theatre is world-class, and at Navy Pier.

Chicago with or without a car is much different, and it's a very big area. I'd suggest the Chicago Botanic Gardens if you're super north.
Have a great time!

Cigarman

Post by Cigarman » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:25 am

Gene and Georgetti's for steak.

22twain

Post by 22twain » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:52 am

e5116 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:28 pm
check out a Swedish bakery in Andersonville
And while you're at it, having gone all the way up to Andersonville, check out the Swedish American Museum.

muddlehead

Post by muddlehead » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:04 pm

If you're the urban walking type like me -A few years ago, had a wonderful, memorable walk along the waterfront from CBOE Lasalle St area to Wrigley.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:05 pm

Is Miller's Pub still there? I lived in Chicago and used to go there occasionally and thought the food was quite good. however, I moved to California in August 1973, so I don't know if it's still there. (This was before I became a vegetarian.)
Gordon

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:41 pm

Was just at Millers! Still good but something was missing and not that I really missed it.....the cigar smoke!!

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:43 pm

Well, it probably was missing from quite a long time. Chicago most likely banned indoor smoking a long ago.
Gordon

Hyperborea

Post by Hyperborea » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:45 pm

This thread is perfectly timed - I'm making plans for a stop in Chicago when returning to the Bay Area after visiting my family visit in Toronto at XMas. Any good recommendations on blues clubs? How about places for hot local musicians? I'm not as interested in most of the touring bands since we get them in the Bay Area too.

How about Buddy Guy's Legends? I understand that he plays there himself in January? I'd love to see him play live again (caught him in Toronto in the early 90's). Any heads up on when tickets for that go on sale?

Anywhere in Chicago to avoid? How about the old blues clubs on the south side?
"Plans are worthless, but planning is everything." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:02 pm

I think the ban took effect in 2008. But in the late 60''s early 70' 's when we would go there for events/conventions the cigars were evident as soon as you walked in the door.

Kevin13

Post by Kevin13 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:30 pm

As a Chicago native and current resident, I second the previous suggestions mentioned and some additional:

A) walking the River Walk. It runs about 2 miles and offers wine bars, gelato, easy access to restaurants, tiki bar, bike rentals, kayaks, boat tours and ends at Navy Pier (though Navy Pier doesn't offer much more than a tourist trap)

B) Visit Second City. It really is that good.

C) Check out the neighborhoods. When a friend came in from England, I suggested that he rent an AirBNB apartment in Wicker Park rather than staying in a downtown hotel. They loved it. They experienced life as a local resident and enjoyed dining at real restaurants and easy access to transportation to check out baseball games, museums and peaceful walks through the city. Wicker Park, Lincoln Square, Pilsen, etc all offer unique experiences you won't find if you only visit the tourist/downtown destinations. It's a big city with a lot to offer!

D) Lou Malnati's Pizza is the way to go for your deep dish needs. Also, get an Italian beef sandwich from Portillos.

E) Everyone here recommends Girl and the Goat. I've never been, as mentioned it requires reservations well in advance. If you can somehow make it happen, you should.

F) Walk/Bike the Lake Shore path. It runs alongside Lake Shore Drive along Lake Michigan and provides some breath taking views of the skyline.

G) If you are coming after baseball season, check out a Blackhawks hockey game. The atmosphere is electric and one of a kind.

H) Saturday night fireworks shows at Navy Pier and at White Sox baseball games.

PatrickA5

Post by PatrickA5 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:43 pm

The favorite thing we did the last visit was taking a night time boat ride that did both the river tour and went out on the lake and looked back at the city at night. Wonderful!

DTSC

Post by DTSC » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:47 pm

This is a little different, but we had a great time, and a full belly too

http://www.chefdrivenfoodtours.com/

Raybo

Post by Raybo » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:22 pm

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions and ideas. I went to Chicago and stayed with my good friend from graduate school. He lives in Westchester, a place that reminds me of the suburbs of LA where I grew up.

I spent the weekend with him going to a voting machine hacking conference (his job), walking in a forest preserve, listening to his band play, and taking an urban bike ride south from there around the Argonne National Labs.

I had 2+ days to visit Chicago proper and walked around both Millenium and Maggie Daley parks, and spent hours in the Art Institute. I also took an archetechural boat tour on the river and did a downtown Art Deco walk. I enjoyed all of them and identified several more places to see the next time I'm there.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.

DTSC

Post by DTSC » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:58 pm

I hope you had a good time. Come back here soon!

22twain

Post by 22twain » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:35 pm

Raybo wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:22 pm
taking an urban bike ride south from there around the Argonne National Labs.
Next time, you might want to check out the Illinois Prairie Path, which uses former railroad rights-of-way through the western suburbs. There are branches to Aurora, Batavia and Elgin, which are also connected (I think) by another path along the Fox River. (It was about 25 years ago that I rode around there, and I don't remember whether I used a path or roads along the river.)