Need Advise On Getting to Patriots Game, Foxborough

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
hirlaw

Need Advise On Getting to Patriots Game, Foxborough

Post by hirlaw » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:33 pm

I am going to be headed to Boston later in the season to watch my team get beat by the Patriots. I will be staying in the Back Bay area. I hear that getting to and from the stadium is pretty awful. I have looked into the train that goes there and seems to be a pretty good alternative.

Any hints are greatly appreciated!!

Jack FFR1846

Re: Need Advise On Getting to Patriots Game, Foxborough

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:43 pm

Wow! I didn't know they did a train. Looked it up and it comes from South Station. I can think of no better way to get there unless you have a helicopter hookup and permission to land on the field.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:47 pm

If you take the train you might want to go a little early. Trains that stop at a sports park or other large event can be very crowded immediately before and afterwards.

SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:57 pm

Yes, getting to and from the stadium can be very stressful due to the traffic. My advice getting there with any mode of transportation...allow lots of time. It has been known to take 2 hours plus just to leave the parking lot after the game.

Good luck and enjoy the game. :sharebeer

LoveMyDog

Post by LoveMyDog » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:59 pm

http://www.mbta.com/riding_the_t/trains_to_gillette/

"Customers are encouraged to purchase tickets in advance, as there are a limited number of tickets available. Please also note, tickets for special event trains may sell out.

Customers should note that regular Commuter Rail tickets and passes cannot be used to ride these special football trains."

Maybe they control the number of people allowed on a train somehow?

General Disarray
Location: Body in the east coast, but heart in the west coast

Post by General Disarray » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:00 pm

MBTA Instructions:
http://www.mbta.com/riding_the_t/trains_to_gillette/

Commuter Rail Map:
http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/rail/

Foxborough is at the bottom, between the commuter lines ending in Forge Park/495 and Wickford Junction.

Greentree

Post by Greentree » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:56 pm

I actually took that train once. It worked out well getting there. On the way back, we had to wait a while for a few freight trains. As long as you're not in a rush, it should be good.

hirlaw

Post by hirlaw » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:05 pm

Thanks all for your help!!

22twain

Post by 22twain » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:57 pm

LoveMyDog wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:59 pm
That's what the special tickets are for, no?
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

LoveMyDog

Post by LoveMyDog » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:06 am

22twain wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:57 pm
LoveMyDog wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:59 pm
That's what the special tickets are for, no?
I was trying to respond to an earlier comment about the trains being crowded. If there's crowd control then it can't be that bad, right...?

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:00 pm

hirlaw wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:33 pm
I am going to be headed to Boston later in the season to watch my team get beat by the Patriots. I will be staying in the Back Bay area. I hear that getting to and from the stadium is pretty awful. I have looked into the train that goes there and seems to be a pretty good alternative.

Any hints are greatly appreciated!!
I've taken the game train. It is often full and you need to get tickets in advance. I thought it was a great way to avoid the nasty drive home after the game. Other alternative is to spend the night near the stadium, but it seems like that isn't what you want to do. Can be a bit rowdy on way home as fans have been consuming lots of expensive stadium beer.

Do also note that it leaves 30 minutes after game ends. So not lots of time to putter around. And there is only 1 train, so don't miss it.

chw

Post by chw » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:25 pm

OP, I've lived near the stadium for 30 years- that being said, based on your traveling from Boston, I think the train is an excellent idea, though as others have said, pay attention to being to the train early to assure you get seats. Another plan could be to stay the night after the game at one of 2 hotels (Renaissance or Hilton Garden) directly in the stadium complex. You can Uber to the commuter rail station in Walpole (about 10 minutes away) in the morning, which would take you back to South Station in the morning. This way you wouldn't miss any of the game by having to leave early to assure you have a seat on the return train. There is a nice retail complex adjacent to the stadium with many restaurants/bars, movie theatre, and shopping. Also the Patriot Hall of Fame is there as well, and is a nice take on the team, and NFL history. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Buffetologist

Post by Buffetologist » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:44 pm

I think getting advance tickets for the train is the way to go.

By car, getting to the game is easy. Getting back - I've waited over 90 minutes to exit the parking lot after a concert. It was so late that the bars had closed so we had to go the the emergency room at a local hospital to find a rest room. It WAS an emergency!

lhl12

Post by lhl12 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:54 pm

I have taken the train once before and it was great!

A few things to be aware of:

1) The train departs from South Station at the specified time, on time, so be sure to get to South Station in plenty of time to make the train.
2) If you want to take the MBTA (the subway) from Back Bay, your best bet will probably be to take the Green Line to Park Street then walk from there. South Station is about a ten minute walk from Park Street (through downtown - a very pleasant walk). If necessary you could change trains at Park Street to the Red Line and go two stops to South Station, but it's probably not worth it to do that unless you have mobility restrictions.
3) The train itself is six to eight cars long. However the platform at Foxborough is only two cars long! So, if you are not in one of the first two cars then you will need to jump off the train onto the side of the tracks (about a three foot drop) and then walk along the tracks until you reach the platform. Again, this is not a big deal (and is actually kind of fun) if you have no mobility restrictions, but if you do have restrictions or if you have a lot of luggage then you should consider getting to South Station early enough to get a seat on one of the first two cars. If that is your plan, I'd aim to get there at least 20 minutes before departure - maybe even more.
4) After you reach the platform, the stadium itself is pretty close - about a five or ten minute walk to the gates.
5) The return trip does not leave at a specified time. Instead, it departs at a specified number of minutes after the final play of the game. You should check to confirm the number of minutes you will have to get back to the train - I think it was 30 or 45 minutes, but I'm not certain. This means that you don't have any flexibility about when you return. If that is important to you, then you might not want to take the train, but I think it's all set up pretty well. Car travel to Foxborough is bad and parking is bad as well, so I definitely recommend the train over any other mode if the logistics work for you.