Do I need an Amazon Echo??.....

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jebmke

Re: Do I need an Amazon Echo??.....

Post by jebmke »

mrsbetsy wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:15 pm Always consider the impact "lifestyle creep" has on your decisions. So you get the Echo...are you going upgrade when the next version or toy comes out? What does that expense look like over a lifetime.

For us, the answer is easy. No.

Look out the window if you want to know how the weather is doing.
And if I can't get up to walk over and turn off the lights, I probably have some other problems that Echo won't be able to help me with.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

I am not sure what system he has but my nephew does not have full use of his arms and legs, but to turn on/off the tv, lights,garage door, etc it is invaluable!
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

MP123 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:13 pm Sending every word said in my house to Amazon to be analyzed? :shock:
If I ever get confirmation of that being the case, Echos will become such a source of amusement for me that I will have to buy one for every room in the house :twisted:
Tanelorn

Post by Tanelorn »

Teague wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:20 pm I asked my really smart neighbor who works for the NSA. He seems to think everybody should have one.
Obligatory XKCD

https://xkcd.com/1807/
knick17

Post by knick17 »

I think nobody needs an Amazon Echo. As nobody needs a curved screen on their phone, or finger print reader so they don't check ur facebook.
However, i do buy "toys" for myself and i always ask myself, "do I have spare mony i can waste on a toy I don't really need"? U know the answer.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

jebmke wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:26 pm
mrsbetsy wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:15 pm Always consider the impact "lifestyle creep" has on your decisions. So you get the Echo...are you going upgrade when the next version or toy comes out? What does that expense look like over a lifetime.

For us, the answer is easy. No.

Look out the window if you want to know how the weather is doing.
And if I can't get up to walk over and turn off the lights, I probably have some other problems that Echo won't be able to help me with.
I'm guessing you don't have infants or toddlers in your house right now. The ability to do even the simplest things while leaving your hands free to manage little ones is really helpful.
BTDT

Post by BTDT »

Marjimmy wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:33 am No, you do not NEED an echo. Period.
I agree! Just like you don't need a TV remote, cruise control, stereo music, HD/4K TV, programmable thermostats etc etc :oops:
If past history was all that is needed to play the game of money, the richest people would be librarians.
Mingus

Post by Mingus »

MP123 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:13 pm Sending every word said in my house to Amazon to be analyzed? :shock:

No thanks.
You don't want Amazon analyzing your conversations to figure out what to tempt you with in order to purchase? And that's only the best case scenario.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

Refurbished Echo Dot is only $38 today.

https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Refurb ... B01DFKBI6G
Digital Dave

Post by Digital Dave »

I have 2 Amazon Echo and one Dot. I also have 4 Google Home, 3 speak English and one German. These are in my 700 sq. ft. house. I could do with less of them, but when they would go on sale, I would buy one. I use them mainly to listen to audio from the internet. I also have 8 smart plugs with 3 fans and 5 lights plugged in. It is someone friendly to talk to all the time.

And, if I should be murdered, the detectives only have to look at the logs stored to find: "Hey Google......the......but..ler.......did.....it......*plop*.
Investing in Mutual Funds, ETF's, Forever Stamps and Bittulips.
BHUser27

Post by BHUser27 »

bluebolt wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:11 am I'm guessing you don't have infants or toddlers in your house right now. The ability to do even the simplest things while leaving your hands free to manage little ones is really helpful.
This might be true, but an Amazon Echo all by itself doesn't go very far towards solving this problem (IMO).
If you want to control appliances, you need Alexa (or IFTTT) compatible appliances.
If you want to turn other stuff on and off you need Alexa/IFTTT compatible control modules.
If you want to control HVAC you need a compatible thermostat.
Alexa can't hand you baby wipes while trying to change a diaper.
Alexa can't open doors (yet) while you carry the groceries and baby into the house.

Do the kids really prevent you from turning on some music, checking the weather, or adding something to your do-list?

FWIW, I am an Echo Dot owner. I pair it with a Bose Revolve+, mostly for music streaming.
In our house, we see it as just an expensive toy/novelty.

Does OP need one? IMO - no.
Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 »

Until it can perform acts of a sexual nature, I'll hold off.
wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds »

Flashes1 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:47 am Until it can perform acts of a sexual nature, I'll hold off.
Alexa Talk Dirty To Me
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

harrington wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:49 pm QVC is selling the full size Amazon Echo for $74.95 and free shipping. That's an amazing price but do I need one?
If you have to ask if you need it, you don't.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Pajamas wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:09 pm If you have to ask other people if you need one, you don't.
+1
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

No, you don't need an Echo. A Dot on sale for $25? That's something to consider. My main use is as an alarm or timer. It's very easy to ask Alexa to set to the oven timer while my hands are messy cutting food. It also acts as a dictionary for my children. I can't tell you how maddening it is when they ask me to spell some word constantly or for the definition. Alexa now does that chore. She's also a clock when I am feeding or changing the baby without diverting my eyes. And recently she's become our telephone because everyone we would call has one. As soon as Amazon figures a way to link E911 to Echo, she will be a life saver. As long as you have a voice, you can access Alexa.
aqan

Post by aqan »

No one "needs" it IMO. Except maybe someone handicapped.
That said its a cool toy for a few days.. I'd get a used one to play with if you can put your privacy concerns aside.
BHUser27

Post by BHUser27 »

mmmodem wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:49 pm<snip>As long as you have a voice, you can access Alexa.
Fixxored -> "As long as you have a voice and electricity and an active internet connection, you can access Alexa.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

BHUser27 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:03 am
mmmodem wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:49 pm<snip>As long as you have a voice, you can access Alexa.
Fixxored -> "As long as you have a voice and electricity and an active internet connection, you can access Alexa.
"As long as you have a voice and electricity, an Amazon.com account and an active internet connection, you can access Alexa.
FTFY
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

i have 2 in my house and love it!

today only; ya get 2 for $100 at qvc.

$99 each at amazon.

this is a great deal for anyone on the fence about getting one.
Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 »

I received one as a gift and sold it on Craigslist. I didn't think I needed it and didn't want it.
Darth Xanadu

Post by Darth Xanadu »

mptfan wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:34 pm
harrington wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:49 pm QVC is selling the full size Amazon Echo for $74.95 and free shipping. That's an amazing price but do I need one?
No.
Also, no.
tc101

Post by tc101 »

Do I need an Amazon Echo??
No
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

tc101 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:07 am
Do I need an Amazon Echo??
No
No... (is there an echo in here?)
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Do you need one? Probably not.

That being said, I have three in the house. They're not necessary but I do find uses for them. I listen to podcasts on the one in the kitchen while I'm cooking or cleaning up. I find the ability to verbally add things to the shopping list a neat feature; DW or I simply say "Alexa, add (fill in the blank) to the shopping list" and it all shows up on my phone app when I go to the store. And the intercom feature comes in handy occasionally.

Do you need one? Likely not. Might you find one (or more) useful in some way? Perhaps.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)
Taz

Post by Taz »

If your criteria is "need" then you can add the Echo to an extremely long list including electricity, beer, index funds, and turnip twaddlers bought while watching late-night television that you don't "need." If your question is "it a useful device that I should consider buying" then my opinion would be yes, very much so.

There are of course a few trade-offs - most revolve around privacy concerns and how much tin-foil each of us chooses to put on our heads.
The destination matters.
Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 »

angelbell wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:16 pm I have Echo Show in my bedroom.
I’m sure it’s polite enough to stop recording your more personal bedroom events though. 🙄
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

If you want to be like Capt Kirk going around asking, "Computer, how far are we from Alpha Centauri?" or "Computer what's the weather today?" go for it! ;)

I havent seen the need for it yet.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

The short answer is no, but here is what I have experienced. I have 3 in my house and the more you use it, the more you realize what a great addition to your house it is. Just for the music alone, it is worth it, but there are so many things I rely on it for and at this point I would miss it if it was not here. I think the Echo is will worth the price and I love mine.

I use it for an alarm
Spelling questions, general questions, directions, weather, traffic, math problems, jokes, radio shows I don't get on the radio, podcasts, audible books, games and so much more.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
moehoward

Post by moehoward »

Why do we have to have a discussion on "needing it". Yes, I watch my money but yes, I want to enjoy it. I have an Alexa and I like it. My wife and I listen to music or podcasts while lying in bed. It's so easy to say "Alexa next" or "Alexa off". We also have a portable heater connected to smart plug. I say "Alexa flame on" or "Alexa flame off". (Yes I'm a fan of the Fantastic Four.) The Alexa is a convenience just like other gadgets or services I have.
PalmQueen

Post by PalmQueen »

My understanding is Amazon's Echo shines as a way to buy stuff through Amazon, while Google Home is better at searches and playing music.

If you're still in the market, Google will have their normally $125 Google Home on sale for $79 for "Black Friday."
Check it out here:
[url]https://store.google.com/us/category/bl ... promos/url]

We've been impressed with the quality of sound on the Google Home speaker for playing music.
We didn't know if we needed one, but once we had one, we "needed" more.

Our main joy is streaming music throughout the house.
We also use them to:
  • Set multiple timers and alarms
  • Check cooking temperatures
  • Use "broadcast" feature as an intercom
  • Find out how long it takes to get from Point A to Point B
  • Get answers to random (usually trivial) questions
Horsefly

Post by Horsefly »

We bought the first gen Echo and Echo Dot when they first came out (pre-ordered). We use them every day. The main Echo plays music all day long in our family room, and does voice control of our Tivo. We've taken it on every reasonably long US vacation we've been on for the past three years. Don't know what we would do without it.

Since the OP mentioned the deal on QVC: They had two of the newer 2nd gen Echo's for $99, so I jumped on it. I will replace the single first gen Echo with these new two configured as stereo. I also got a new Echo Dot for $1 by signing back up for Amazon Music Unlimited. It looks like I can cancel the music subscription any time, so what the hey.

There's been a couple of issues over the about 3 years we've had the echo, mostly (I think) due to growing pains. Things stop working, then start again. To be fair, Amazon has a very responsive real-person support team that not only listens to what your issue is but will call you back in a few days to see if it is fixed.
zero sum guy

Post by zero sum guy »

I first bought the Echo Dot for 50 bucks but it was a hassle to pair it up with my Bluetooth Speaker as I love playing Classical music.
Then I bought a refurbished Tap for 99 dollars and the sound from it from was very good for my small bedroom. I have another Tap in my living room. The Tap's speaker is so much better quality than the Echo Dot.
I play my classical or other radio stations through a free subscription from IHeart radio or I can play my Amazon music collection
through them. You can pay an extra $7.99 a month for Amazon Music Unlimited but I don't need it.
I also use them as timers for tea, alarm clocks, and getting news and weather reports. You can also set them up for handsfree phone calls. You can "train" your Tap to do other skills, but I don't need them.
Love them. Would not trade them for the World.