To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
dustinst22

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by dustinst22 »

kchico wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 11:58 am The cars that are coming out the production line right now are bastly improve and they have no issues:

I hope so, but with cars it takes awhile for problems to arise. We'll see.
jdb

Post by jdb »

Have not been reading this overly long thread, unfortunately too many posters without Model 3 reservations who apparently just like to vent their dislike of Tesla or Elon Musk. Have no interest in reading their posts, with all due respect there are plenty of places on internet for that but believe this thread designed for those of us with Model 3 reservations to discuss whether or not to pull trigger. But for record just pulled trigger on one of my two Model 3 reservations, took all options including enhanced auto pilot but without the full self driving option, delivery estimated 6 weeks. Other reservation waiting for the all wheel drive. I think it is a beautiful vehicle, physician son and wife in Chicago excited to take delivery. Good luck.
Cramerica

Post by Cramerica »

jdb wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 7:13 am Have not been reading this overly long thread, unfortunately too many posters without Model 3 reservations who apparently just like to vent their dislike of Tesla or Elon Musk. Have no interest in reading their posts, with all due respect there are plenty of places on internet for that but believe this thread designed for those of us with Model 3 reservations to discuss whether or not to pull trigger. But for record just pulled trigger on one of my two Model 3 reservations, took all options including enhanced auto pilot but without the full self driving option, delivery estimated 6 weeks. Other reservation waiting for the all wheel drive. I think it is a beautiful vehicle, physician son and wife in Chicago excited to take delivery. Good luck.
Damn. I’m jealous
jdb

Post by jdb »

The last post proves my point [edit: that post was deleted by our ever vigilant moderator]. I have been doing my own product research, thank you very much, have owned Model S for 6 years with over 60,000 miles and Model X for past two years, by far best and most fun and safest vehicles we have ever owned. And friend with son got Model 3 few months ago and loves the car. As with investments have learned to take mass media with grain of salt, lots of unknown ulterior motives and best advice is to ignore the noise. Good luck.
Last edited by jdb on Thu May 24, 2018 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

jdb wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 7:46 am The last two posts prove my point. I have been doing my own product research, thank you very much, have owned Model S for 6 years with over 60,000 miles and Model X for past two years, by far best and most fun and safest vehicles we have ever owned. And friend with son got Model 3 few months ago and loves the car. As with investments have learned to take mass media with grain of salt, lots of unknown ulterior motives and best advice is to ignore the noise. Good luck.
Amen, brother. As with so many other things in life, flapping gums don't count for much. I have had more than two years enjoying my Model X. I have offered a Model 3 to my son who just graduated college, without a moment's doubt that he would love it, but he's going to be living in NYC, so that means Lyft and mass transit.

For those who have self-victimized themselves with analysis paralysis: don't let perfect be the enemy of damned good.

For those who can't afford the car, or for whom their particular use case doesn't work out: Unlucky.

Me? I'll continue to enjoy and love my car, and ignore the noise, which this thread mostly is. I wanted to offer some facts about home chargers before, but couldn't even find the post after a couple of hours, swamped as it was by investment/snake oil talk.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
itsgot8

Post by itsgot8 »

jdb wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 7:46 am by far best and most fun and safest vehicles we have ever owned.
How are you able to ascertain it's the safest? Is it based on active safety features, NHTSA crash ratings or have you unfortunately been in an accident with it?
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

This is in response to Mr Weaver tweet from Edmunds.

January 2018 review, a real car guy. It must be an earlier version. No mention of braking issues. Most emotional quote, "I'm digging it". He says it will likely meet expectations of those waiting on reservations. He was going to keep reservation #2 for his own car. Oh, his last name is Edmunds...his video review is as follows. Forgive it it has been shared before. Perhaps his vote would be to keep reservation and take delivery.

https://youtu.be/FESJlsKeYGo
Pale Blue Dot
emoore

Post by emoore »

jdb wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 7:13 am Have not been reading this overly long thread, unfortunately too many posters without Model 3 reservations who apparently just like to vent their dislike of Tesla or Elon Musk. Have no interest in reading their posts, with all due respect there are plenty of places on internet for that but believe this thread designed for those of us with Model 3 reservations to discuss whether or not to pull trigger. But for record just pulled trigger on one of my two Model 3 reservations, took all options including enhanced auto pilot but without the full self driving option, delivery estimated 6 weeks. Other reservation waiting for the all wheel drive. I think it is a beautiful vehicle, physician son and wife in Chicago excited to take delivery. Good luck.
+1. Congrats on the car. I wish there was a hatchback option for the Model 3, guess I will have to wait for the Model Y. Looking forward to more real world reviews of the Model 3. Seems like it's going to be a big seller.
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

Car better than it was, another edmunds update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWbM2XG9fUg
Pale Blue Dot
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

job,

Congrats!!! Can’t wait to hear more...
matjen

Post by matjen »

Deleted
Last edited by matjen on Thu May 24, 2018 9:32 am, edited 6 times in total.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

emoore wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 8:19 am
+1. Congrats on the car. I wish there was a hatchback option for the Model 3, guess I will have to wait for the Model Y. Looking forward to more real world reviews of the Model 3. Seems like it's going to be a big seller.
This is one of the main reasons why I won't be replacing my S with a 3. My S doesn't have autopilot and while I like the tech (I've used it in other Model S and X vehicles for over 1k miles), it is not a big one for me as I don't have a busy commute and don't take that many road trips in my S. The one thing I do miss about my prior vehicle (a Toyota 4Runner) is the hitch to attach a trailer with to haul stuff, like a new couch and loveseat I recently bought. A minor issue and I rent a vehicle when I need to, but I often put my S's seats down and load it up with stuff. While the 3 is no slouch in this regard, I decided that losing the hatchback and paying a new car price vs. my depreciated S wasn't worth it to me. That is why a couple weeks back I cancelled my second Model 3 reservation. My first one still is on target to replace our Lexus IS (whose seats DON'T fold down :annoyed ).
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

emoore wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 8:19 am

I am in the same boat. Have an SUV and a commuter car. Would rather replace the SUV first. We will see.

https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/sta ... 3207544832

Model Y announcement March 15?

Brandonbogle, depending on your financial situation maybe keep the 2nd reservation and roll it over to Model Y next year?
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

FoolStreet wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 9:45 am Brandonbogle, depending on your financial situation maybe keep the 2nd reservation and roll it over to Model Y next year?
The USD$1k is not a financial concern. That said, people I know (Tesla owners) were able to create reservations in 2017 and already be open for configuration. As such, I saw no need to hold onto the reservation. The $1k was refunded by Tesla in 24 hours and moved into my Vanguard account to buy more of the "Long Term" Muni Bond Fund.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

FoolStreet wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 9:45 am I am in the same boat. Have an SUV and a commuter car. Would rather replace the SUV first. We will see.

https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/sta ... 3207544832

Model Y announcement March 15?
You probably saw it, but he wasn’t really serious about that specific date. Follow-up tweets in that thread.

“I just made that up, because the Ides of March sounded good”

“But consider it real. We could unveil Model Y anytime from late this year to mid next year, so March 15 is about right.”

If the Y gets announced in that time frame and they take pre-orders and the wait is just as long as for the Model 3, it might be available just around the time we are looking for an EV replacement for our 2016 Forester. :)
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

BrandonBogle wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 9:55 am
FoolStreet wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 9:45 am Brandonbogle, depending on your financial situation maybe keep the 2nd reservation and roll it over to Model Y next year?
The USD$1k is not a financial concern. That said, people I know (Tesla owners) were able to create reservations in 2017 and already be open for configuration. As such, I saw no need to hold onto the reservation. The $1k was refunded by Tesla in 24 hours and moved into my Vanguard account to buy more of the "Long Term" Muni Bond Fund.
I think that makes perfect sense. (At least you didn’t use the 1k to short the stick lol)
Leif

Post by Leif »

jdb wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 7:13 amBut for record just pulled trigger on one of my two Model 3 reservations, took all options including enhanced auto pilot but without the full self driving option, delivery estimated 6 weeks.
Congratulations! It is an impressive car. Probably in a few more years I will buy another Tesla replacing our ICE car and going all electric. No other car company is close IMO.
6miths

Post by 6miths »

I got my configuration e-mail in early April for the Model 3 on a reservation from last May (2017 - not a Tesla owner). Delivery in 4-8 weeks. I am going to wait for now. Still undecided. There are many positives but not a big fan of sunroofs. When I sit in the car I can see why some 'car' folks are turned off. The minimalism is so striking. I contrast the instrumentation with that of an Audi or even a new Camry Hybrid which have so many readouts and buttons. Personally, I am liking the minimalism though I wouldn't mind a speed read out in front of the driver. I can't imagine how a 'car' folk couldn't love the driving performance - maybe the lack of noise? Will miss my stick shift though.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

6miths wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:55 am I got my configuration e-mail in early April for the Model 3 on a reservation from last May (2017 - not a Tesla owner). Delivery in 4-8 weeks.
Is that an indication that they are prioritizing Canadian orders to preserve US tax credit capacity? I got my reservation in over a year before you (April 1, 2016) and I am also not a Tesla owner. No configuration email yet.
6miths wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:55 am When I sit in the car I can see why some 'car' folks are turned off. The minimalism is so striking. I contrast the instrumentation with that of an Audi or even a new Camry Hybrid which have so many readouts and buttons. Personally, I am liking the minimalism though I wouldn't mind a speed read out in front of the driver. I can't imagine how a 'car' folk couldn't love the driving performance - maybe the lack of noise? Will miss my stick shift though.
I don't consider myself a car person. Never had any kind of performance or luxury car. The fanciest car I ever bought was a new 2016 Subaru Forester :)

I spent a bit of time in the Model 3 at the Palo Alto show room. Personally, I think they took the minimization of the physical user interface too far. I would prefer to keep certain things "traditional" (opening the glove box via touch screen button is my standard example). It probably wouldn't keep me from buying or liking the car; the 2018 LEAF I just bought has its own set of user interface challenges.
Last edited by TravelGeek on Thu May 24, 2018 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

TravelGeek wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:08 am
6miths wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:55 am I got my configuration e-mail in early April for the Model 3 on a reservation from last May (2017 - not a Tesla owner). Delivery in 4-8 weeks.
Is that an indication that they are prioritizing Canadian orders to preserve US tax credit capacity? I got my reservation in over a year before you (April 1, 2016) and I am also not a Tesla owner. No configuration email yet.
Based on the crowd-sourced spreadsheets it looks like they are pushing Canada deliveries in June hard to push the 200k car to US July 1

No new invites since May 1. US invites were only up to about 11am for in store reservations, yet just about everyone in Canada was invited regardless of place in line. First Canadian deliveries hit this weekend! Exciting!
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

Yesterday I drove by the Tesla service center and sales center in Raleigh NC. We have been waiting to sit in a model 3 prior to ordering due to very different body sizes. No 3 was available, though the sales guy had his own 3 car, talked about how it fit him. He did say that Charlotte NC has one in the show room (to sit, not to drive). It seemed strange to me that a sales guy that worked for tesla and owned a tesla model 3 would suggest driving an additional 3 hours so sit in one, just sit in one.

I am surprised at the suggested quick turnaround for upgraded orders. Sure wish I could sit in one.
Pale Blue Dot
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

4nursebee wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:16 am Yesterday I drove by the Tesla service center and sales center in Raleigh NC. We have been waiting to sit in a model 3 prior to ordering due to very different body sizes. No 3 was available, though the sales guy had his own 3 car, talked about how it fit him. He did say that Charlotte NC has one in the show room (to sit, not to drive). It seemed strange to me that a sales guy that worked for tesla and owned a tesla model 3 would suggest driving an additional 3 hours so sit in one, just sit in one.

I am surprised at the suggested quick turnaround for upgraded orders. Sure wish I could sit in one.
That sounds frustrating. Hang in there. I would guess you could ask on a Facebook group since current owners would probably be happy to oblige. I know my neighbor offered me a test drive but I’m in CA where there are more driving around the neighborhood.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

4nursebee wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:16 am Yesterday I drove by the Tesla service center and sales center in Raleigh NC. We have been waiting to sit in a model 3 prior to ordering due to very different body sizes. No 3 was available, though the sales guy had his own 3 car, talked about how it fit him. He did say that Charlotte NC has one in the show room (to sit, not to drive). It seemed strange to me that a sales guy that worked for tesla and owned a tesla model 3 would suggest driving an additional 3 hours so sit in one, just sit in one.
I am about as far away from the nearest Tesla show room. And not sure if they even have a Model 3 yet.

I'd keep an eye out for local EV meetups and group events. I have test-sat in a lot of different EVs over the last year. A lot of EV owners are unpaid evangelists for the technology (I'd certainly let you sit in my new LEAF if you saw me parked somewhere and expressed interest).

I think Tesla had scheduled a "show and tell" event at our local super charger a few weeks ago; I didn't go or see any details, but I hope they would have brought a Model 3 along. They also did a similar demo event last year (no Model 3) that I went to.

https://www.tesla.com/events
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed two off-topic posts regarding Alistar Weaver's tweet (editor-in-chief of Edmunds) which challenged Elon Musk to "put the customer first". The posts are derailing the thread.

Please stay on-topic and focus on "to take delivery" or "not take delivery" of a Tesla 3. General rants about company executives or media coverage is off-topic.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Delete.
Last edited by Nate79 on Thu May 24, 2018 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdb

Post by jdb »

itsgot8 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 8:06 am
jdb wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 7:46 am by far best and most fun and safest vehicles we have ever owned.
How are you able to ascertain it's the safest? Is it based on active safety features, NHTSA crash ratings or have you unfortunately been in an accident with it?
Fair questions. Can’t prove, just like can’t prove they are best and most fun vehicles we have ever owned, purely subjective, though on this one topic my wife and I are in full agreement, which must mean something. And no serious accidents so no real world experience thankfully. Good luck.
itsgot8

Post by itsgot8 »

jdb wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 4:16 pm
itsgot8 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 8:06 am
Fair questions. Can’t prove, just like can’t prove they are best and most fun vehicles we have ever owned, purely subjective, though on this one topic my wife and I are in full agreement, which must mean something. And no serious accidents so no real world experience thankfully. Good luck.
I appreciate your candor. When a husband and wife agree on something without having to debate, it's almost an absolute fact! :mrgreen:
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Fair questions. Can’t prove, just like can’t prove they are best and most fun vehicles we have ever owned, purely subjective, though on this one topic my wife and I are in full agreement, which must mean something.
Ditto. Wife: "I like driving this car. I really like driving this car."

Have had my M3 four weeks now. Definitely the most fun car I have ever driven/owned.
matjen

Post by matjen »

4nursebee posted a CNBC link about this in another thread. Here is the Consumer Reports post where they indeed find a difference in the braking.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars-te ... ng-update/
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

matjen wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 11:48 am 4nursebee posted a CNBC link about this in another thread. Here is the Consumer Reports post where they indeed find a difference in the braking.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars-te ... ng-update/
Here is the title of the article you just posted:

Tesla Model 3 Gets CR Recommendation After Braking Update * Automaker responds to Consumer Reports test results and reduces stopping distance by nearly 20 feet

My take:
* Very glad that CR did the test and found the issue
* Very glad that Tesla can do Over the Air updates to fix the issue within the space of a week or so. WOW
* Nice collaboration between CR & Tesla
* CR now gives Tesla Model 3 their recommendation!

Edit: added 2 bullets and fixed a duplicate post
Last edited by FoolStreet on Wed May 30, 2018 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
matjen

Post by matjen »

FoolStreet, I am SHOCKED that you managed to have a take that only incorporates the good news for Tesla but managed to leave out all the other concerns about the screen, wind noise, suspension, etc. that CR still has. :P Tesla is allegedly addressing these things but CR wants to spend time with the revised cars.

But even at face value of all these things being fixed, it is embarrassing that a 14 year old company that is on its fourth car rolls out these half baked things to the consumers to beta test.
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

matjen wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:03 pm FoolStreet, I am SHOCKED that you managed to have a take that only incorporates the good news for Tesla but managed to leave out all the other concerns about the screen, wind noise, suspension, etc. that CR still has. Tesla is allegedly addressing these things but CR wants to spend time with the revised cars.

But even at face value of all these things being fixed, it is embarrassing that a 14 year old company that is on its fourth car rolls out these half baked things to the consumers to beta test.
Overall, CR recommends the Model 3.

Regarding the other points:
* wind noise - Keep in mind there is no engine in the Tesla, so the wind noise is more noticeable than in an ICE car. Doesn't mean it is in fact louder
* suspension - do you want range, handling or comfort? Elon suggests dropping tire pressure to 39 for max comfort and 45psi for max range.
* User Interface - yeah, that is like iphone removing the tactile buttons from the blackberry. I hated that for a while. Now I don't care.
I don't even remember the other issues...

I am getting more excited about the Model 3, but still need to think about roadtripping, etc. So many SUVs on the road over the 3-day weeekend and I'd rather have an EV. If money was no object I'd get a 3 and a Y. I have 6 mo to see where I'm at financially and where my current cars are at mechanically.
matjen

Post by matjen »

Here is an interesting article from a former auto brake engineer about this OTA brake update. It makes little logical sense that something like this can just be fixed in a matter of weeks with an OTA update. There is give and take in this stuff usually. To get something you have to give something up.

Tesla's Rapid Braking Software Update Is Great, But Hides More Fundamental Problems
https://www.forbes.com/sites/samabuelsa ... 071a9457de
What worries me is that customers that buy the Model 3 won’t know what to expect from their cars on any given day. Tesla’s internal processes seemed to be geared toward shipping early and shipping often, which is the Silicon Valley software approach. Despite the updates being great, the safety critical nature of systems like braking and driver assists means that the threshold for a minimum viable product must be much higher than it is at Facebook, Google or Snapchat.

When I see Tesla responding in this way, and continuing to struggle with achieving consistent performance with AutoPilot, it’s an indicator of lax internal controls for product reviews and releases. Tesla has done an admirable job of making over-the-air updates viable and improving the crashworthiness of its vehicles. Now it needs to do a better job of engineering and validating the fundamentals of basic systems like the brakes as well as all the various ancillary systems that still seem so inconsistent on the Model 3.
emoore

Post by emoore »

matjen wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:03 pm FoolStreet, I am SHOCKED that you managed to have a take that only incorporates the good news for Tesla but managed to leave out all the other concerns about the screen, wind noise, suspension, etc. that CR still has. :P Tesla is allegedly addressing these things but CR wants to spend time with the revised cars.

Well it must be embarissing for every other car manufacturer that does the same thing. Except they typically wait years to fix anything non safety related.
emoore

Post by emoore »

To stay on topic. Is anyone ordering the AWD version? Interested in how it performs.
itsgot8

Post by itsgot8 »

FoolStreet wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:12 pm
matjen wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:03 pm FoolStreet, I am SHOCKED that you managed to have a take that only incorporates the good news for Tesla but managed to leave out all the other concerns about the screen, wind noise, suspension, etc. that CR still has. Tesla is allegedly addressing these things but CR wants to spend time with the revised cars.

Overall, CR recommends the Model 3.

* wind noise - Keep in mind there is no engine in the Tesla, so the wind noise is more noticeable than in an ICE car. Doesn't mean it is in fact louder

I offer a different view: First, there are lots of ICE powered vehicles out there that do an excellent job of sound deadening to the point you don't hear the engine much. If you're cruising along, you probably won't hear it at all. At that point, you're more likely to hear wind and tire noise.
Topic Author
wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds »

Well, Tesla 3 is still basically a $35K car whether I buy it for $60K or I buy it at 80K. So road/wind noise of it is going to be comparable to the cars in $35K range and NOT in $60K-80K range.

But at your local grocery store, nobody will give a second glance at your other $80K car but this "$35K car" will attract lot more attention :-) It will NOT last forever, especially when there are plethora of them on the road.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

wrongfunds wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 8:04 am But at your local grocery store, nobody will give a second glance at your other $80K car but this "$35K car" will attract lot more attention :-) It will NOT last forever, especially when there are plethora of them on the road.
........it will attract attention until, like the model S, they are no longer new and rare. If you want your car to attract attention at a reasonable price with great reliability, buy a used Lotus Elise.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
jdb

Post by jdb »

emoore wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 7:34 pm To stay on topic. Is anyone ordering the AWD version? Interested in how it performs.
Yes, staying on topic derferring one reservation for the AWD version. Got an email from Tesla other day saying they would be sending out invites for AWD configure based on reservation dates etc. I am not in a hurry, glad to see models being updated with software fixes. Have the AWD model X and love the four wheel drive performance.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

To stay on topic, I just cancelled my reservation. We have enjoyed EV life with our 2018 LEAF for two weeks now, and while it certainly isn't in the same vehicle category as the Model 3, it fits our needs well. I didn't feel like going through the trouble of working out if I could sell the reservation or the vehicle, so everyone behind me in line will now be bumped one spot closer to the finish line :sharebeer
PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew »

My spouse just paid the balance on her car, and is scheduled to take delivery tomorrow — so, soon we should have some first-hand knowledge of the car.

Andy.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

PhilosophyAndrew wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 6:23 pm My spouse just paid the balance on her car, and is scheduled to take delivery tomorrow — so, soon we should have some first-hand knowledge of the car.
Congratulations! Friends tell me they love theirs.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

grats Andrew. Me and da' wife love driving our M3.
* suspension - do you want range, handling or comfort? Elon suggests dropping tire pressure to 39 for max comfort and 45psi for max range.
* User Interface - yeah, that is like iphone removing the tactile buttons from the blackberry. I hated that for a while. Now I don't care.
I don't even remember the other issues...
CR tested an early release model, and since that time:

- Tesla has changed the glass top so that the recent deliveries are more quiet, supposedly. (Would love to see the decibel meters on those tests, however.) Based on my recollection of my D's car, our M3 is no more noisy than her Audi A3.

- Suspension was also softened from the early release version. Tires are still hard, however, and hum/vibration is noticeable on rough roads, or freeways with the water grooves in them. The recommendation is 42 psi, but I'm thinking about trying at 39 psi to see what the difference feels like.

- For the most part, ok with the UI, and I'm a frequent fiddler of dials (ac, radio, wipers). Of course, its spring time in SoCal, so wipers haven't been on yet.

Just my $0.02.
niceguy7376

Post by niceguy7376 »

For those posters with psi mentioned, do you have the 18 inch or the 19 inch?
just frank

Post by just frank »

Wheel size probably doesn't matter.....drivers of other EVs have been playing the psi game with the tires for years....37-39 psi gives more of a toyota ride, with more body roll and 5% less range, 41-43 psi gives a BMW ride with less roll, and 5% more range.

low pressure has better stopping distance...so there is also a safety factor.

Just the way all (current) LRR tires seem to work. I carry an air pump and gauge for this reason.
Strummer

Post by Strummer »

PhilosophyAndrew wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 6:23 pm My spouse just paid the balance on her car, and is scheduled to take delivery tomorrow — so, soon we should have some first-hand knowledge of the car.
Congrats! We've had ours for a couple months now and it's still a thrill to drive. And I sure don't miss stopping at gas stations…
Leif

Post by Leif »

Leif wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:15 pm Probably most people are aware that the clock is ticking on the federal tax credit. The most expensive options are being done first, except AWD, but that is next. Less profitable, the standard battery, will come in 2019. It might be that if it appears they will lose part of the credit then some may change their order to the long battery. That would maximize profit for Tesla.
As I thought Elon said at the shareholders meeting that the standard battery configuration ($35K configuration many are waiting for) will not come out until 2019. That will most likely coincide with the drop in the federal tax credit. So now the Model 3 reservation holders will need to decide the relative importance of the tax credit vs. waiting on the standard battery vs. getting their deposit back.
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

Leif wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:01 pm
Leif wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:15 pm Probably most people are aware that the clock is ticking on the federal tax credit. The most expensive options are being done first, except AWD, but that is next. Less profitable, the standard battery, will come in 2019. It might be that if it appears they will lose part of the credit then some may change their order to the long battery. That would maximize profit for Tesla.
As I thought Elon said at the shareholders meeting that the standard battery configuration ($35K configuration many are waiting for) will not come out until 2019. That will most likely coincide with the drop in the federal tax credit. So now the Model 3 reservation holders will need to decide the relative importance of the tax credit vs. waiting on the standard battery vs. getting their deposit back.
Yes. I think that is reasonable and, in fact, what the tax credit is for. Having said that, I want to overcommunicate that the tax credit will last for 18 months.

Assuming the 200kth US purchase occurs on July 1, 2018:

3Q18 - $7,500
4Q18 - $7,500
1Q19 - $3,750
2Q19 - $3,750
3Q19 - $1,375
4Q19 - $1,375
1Q20 - expired

Does this make sense?

By the way, I finally got to see the car up close last night. Roomy, felt comfy and tons of storage space. Very excited!
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

FoolStreet wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:22 pm Yes. I think that is reasonable and, in fact, what the tax credit is for. Having said that, I want to overcommunicate that the tax credit will last for 18 months.

Assuming the 200kth US purchase occurs on July 1, 2018:

3Q18 - $7,500
4Q18 - $7,500
1Q19 - $3,750
2Q19 - $3,750
3Q19 - $1,375
4Q19 - $1,375
1Q20 - expired

Does this make sense?
On a practical note; when Joe EVDriver files their tax return in, say, April 2020 for the 2019 tax year and they purchased a Tesla in 3Q19, how do they "calculate" or look up the tax credit? Do TurboTax and Co have this information in their questionnaire? Do the automakers send out a tax credit notice of some sort? I guess until now it's been easy - you buy an EV, you get $7500 credit (assuming sufficient tax liability) since no manufacturer has reached the milestone.
harikaried

Post by harikaried »

TravelGeek wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:31 pmhow do they "calculate" or look up the tax credit?
https://fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxevb.shtml