Waterproof container for documents-pending Florida hurricane

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Kersten

Waterproof container for documents-pending Florida hurricane

Post by Kersten » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:27 pm

We may be having quite a storm in SW Florida and I am organizing my "take and go" packet of important information. It is suggested by various state alerts that important papers be put in a waterproof container. My questions is: "Does anyone have a suggestion as to what kind of waterproof container is best to purchase and where to purchase it? My purchase might be too late for this storm but thinking positively, that I will "weather" this storm, I want to be better prepared for the next. Thanks, in advance, for your thoughtful suggestions.

whatusername?

Re: Waterproof container for documents-pending Florida hurricane

Post by whatusername? » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:33 pm

In case of flood/another hurricane, I would probably use my drybag backpack for this purpose since I already own it and it's easy to carry. I've got this one https://www.amazon.com/DryCASE-Waterpro ... e+backpack but any would do. It will fit a few files, a laptop, dry clothes, and some food. When secured, it's airtight.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:38 pm

We used to use drybags to protect things when sailing.

Something like this

https://www.westmarine.com/search?Ntt=dry+bag

If you have a West Marine or some other boating supply store you might find something that works. You didn't say how much you have. There are flat waterproof folders used for ships documents that would work for a small amount.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

keaton

Post by keaton » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:46 pm

You could scan most documents and never have to worry about loosing them, and then send the rest to someone to get back later. I have everything digital and all the passports and so forth off site. My living space is in constant risk of sinking, if you know what I mean!

BTDT

Post by BTDT » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:55 pm

Top of the line one gallon and two gallon Zip lock type bags stored inside small firesafe's is a pretty good option. Vacuum sealed bags are even better!
Last edited by BTDT on Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If past history was all that is needed to play the game of money, the richest people would be librarians.

celia

Post by celia » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:59 pm

You may not have much time, nor time to go shopping, so look at what you have. Do you have heavy duty trash bags or 1-gallon / 2-gallon size zip-lock bags, that will keep things dry?

But then you need to protect them from getting punctured. Do you have any large cans or buckets with lids? A trash can on wheels (if you have a vehicle to carry it)? Fire proof box?

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:43 pm

Ziplocs will work as well as anything else short-term.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:49 pm

I think you may want to get something that can have another purpose, too. For instance, just as 2 others have mentioned dry bags, I have SealLine dry pack for when I go on wilderness canoe trips. One could put documents in there which one could even float out of a flooded house without getting the documents wet. But one could put the sealed bag in another non-waterproof container for convenience, such as a Rubbermaid Brute 32 gal garbage container.

Another trick is to not have any documents. We have nothing that cannot be replaced in less than a month.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:25 am

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:35 am

For a classier looking waterproof container, I would get a pelican case. I have used them for electronics out in the weather for many years. The essentially look like a briefcase on steroids and in brighter colors.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:39 am

Second the Ziplock idea. Put the sealed ziplock bag inside a metal container of some sort to protect from flying debris.

Good luck, hope you can stay out of harm's way.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

billthecat

Post by billthecat » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:17 am

Scan / photograph them, and store it in some cloud storage (iCloud, Box, Dropbox, etc., etc.). If you want, put the originals in your dishwasher (it is, after all, water-tight).

Point

Post by Point » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:19 am

Drybag, pelican case for the physical object.

Evernote to put the docs in the cloud. Or scan and put them on a thumb drive.

Worst case use your smart phone and put them in the cloud securely.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:25 am

lthenderson wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:35 am
For a classier looking waterproof container, I would get a pelican case. I have used them for electronics out in the weather for many years. The essentially look like a briefcase on steroids and in brighter colors.
I was going to suggest the same thing. I've been using a Pelican 1510 for my camera gear for almost 15 years. Completely dependable as long as your requirements are shock and waterproofing, but not fire protection.

z91

Post by z91 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:06 pm

+1 to the Pelican case. Cable lock it somewhere in the attic/basement and you should be fine. Good luck!

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:09 pm

I use Pelican cases, too, but they are an expensive solution to a simple problem, so are best for cameras, cell phones, and things like that. Our Walmart sells some Pelican cases cheaper than anywhere on Amazon.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:57 pm

Empty 2 liter bottle of Coke?

I don't know how many documents you're talking about, but you could roll them up, drop them in, and screw the cap on.

JT

N1CKV

Post by N1CKV » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:04 pm

Ziploc bags work just fine. Keep in mind that excess air will cause problems with the container wanting to float or burst.

On a surprising note:
When my house flooded I had my documents in a small Sentry file safe on the floor of a small closet. The safe floated and landed upright. The documents inside were almost perfectly dry, the slight water intrusion didn't hurt anything essential. That safe had my insurance policy, vehicle titles and the like. I did get lucky because my passport and birth certificate were high in my gun safe.
I have met a lot of people that claim to love money, but they also seem to be the same people that are in the biggest hurry to get rid of it.

grok87

Post by grok87 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:33 pm

billthecat wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:17 am
Scan / photograph them, and store it in some cloud storage (iCloud, Box, Dropbox, etc., etc.). If you want, put the originals in your dishwasher (it is, after all, water-tight).
dishwasher is a great idea
Keep calm and Boglehead on. KCBO.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:21 pm

For cheap and quick, double bag them in ziplocks and protect them from puncture inside a notebook, between a couple pieces of cardboard, or stuck in a 3-ring binder (obviously you're not going to want to hole punch them and actually attach them to the rings ;) )
keaton wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:46 pm
You could scan most documents and never have to worry about loosing them, and then send the rest to someone to get back later. I have everything digital and all the passports and so forth off site. My living space is in constant risk of sinking, if you know what I mean!
Hopefully the offsite part includes a copy of your scanned documents?

keaton

Post by keaton » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:29 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:21 pm
keaton wrote:
Only the ones that need to be kept original, like birth certificates, titles and so forth, although I wish it could all be digital, as I do not like having physical paperwork.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:34 pm

keaton wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:29 pm
iamlucky13 wrote:
keaton wrote:
Only the ones that need to be kept original, like birth certificates, titles and so forth, although I wish it could all be digital, as I do not like having physical paperwork.
What's your plan then if your boat sinks and you need a record for which you've discarded the original? Are you sure you don't want an electronic copy stored off your boat, too, in case your hard drive can't be fished up from the bottom?

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:37 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:35 am
+1 and you can probably get them at Walmart, sporting goods store, etc.

and if you are under the gun, and have an iPhone/Android, just photo everything you need, get it to your laptop then save onto a jump drive or two.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:16 pm

grok87 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:33 pm
billthecat wrote:
I've read that but then I've also read concerns about the drain connection. Dishwashers do have vents and are somewhat close to the ground. Maybe a refrigerator (top portion) would be better, at least if you have strap to put around the doors to keep them shut. I'm not sure.

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:33 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:16 pm
grok87 wrote:
billthecat wrote:
I've read that but then I've also read concerns about the drain connection. Dishwashers do have vents and are somewhat close to the ground. Maybe a refrigerator (top portion) would be better, at least if you have strap to put around the doors to keep them shut. I'm not sure.

Washing machine, but make sure you unplug it so there are not accidentally.

keaton

Post by keaton » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:56 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:34 pm
keaton wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:29 pm
iamlucky13 wrote:
keaton wrote:
What's your plan then if your boat sinks and you need a record for which you've discarded the original? Are you sure you don't want an electronic copy stored off your boat, too, in case your hard drive can't be fished up from the bottom?
Sorry, I just assumed that anyone that had anything important on the computer would have cloud and/or offsite backup. I personally have a timemachine backup locally for quick recovery and a full cloud based backup along with a second quick dropbox for docs.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:13 pm

Blueskies123 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:33 pm
tibbitts wrote:
grok87 wrote:
billthecat wrote:

Washing machine, but make sure you unplug it so there are not accidentally.
A top load will definitely not work.

Thatthatisis

Post by Thatthatisis » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:14 pm

At a very minimum, even aside from natural disasters, you should keep certain documents electronically. Our home insurance policy, for instance, I scan and just email to myself. It was such a relief to have it so easily available when a tree fell through our roof while we were on vacation. A friend called to tell us, and I just pulled it up. I verified coverage and got the claim number to call, all without leaving my deck chair with umbrella drink in hand.

With regard to passports, I scan them and email them to myself and spouse, with a cc to our kids. Sometimes other people might need to access our stuff in an emergency.

Good luck to you amd your family with Irma.

grok87

Post by grok87 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:10 pm

tibbitts wrote:
grok87 wrote:
billthecat wrote:
good point i guess, i didn't think of that.
Keep calm and Boglehead on. KCBO.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:46 pm

A Pelican box with the docs in a food vac bag seal and ur good to go!

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Kit ... en/1090768