Name something you had to have and now you regret purchasing it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
harrington

Name something you had to have and now you regret purchasing it?

Post by harrington »

I'd have to say my home theater in my basement. Since the kids are gone I hardly ever use it as I usually watch TV on the first floor.
Jack FFR1846

Re: Name something you had to have and now you regret purchasing it?

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Echo pole saw. It works fantastic but I just don't use it enough to justify. It's too specialized, having the chain saw with the long pole. I've got 2 Husqvarna chain saws that see a ton of use but my manual pole saw could have mostly sufficed. Either that or if a branch is that high, I can always just cut down the entire tree.

Seemed reasonable enough when I bought it. Then again, I was spending $13k on a tractor and impliments, so a few hundred dollars for a pole saw was nothing by comparison.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

I regret when I have something I really like and use and then buy a second one or a third one. That never works.

I have mountain bike I like and use it a lot. I then decide I should have a road bike because I should go road biking more. I end up using both bikes less and having "bike guilt" because I am not using one or the other as much as I should be.

More is not more. More is less in many cases.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I have purchased nonrefundable Air Canada tickets to Calgary and I can't go.

This brings up an interesting question. If paying for experiences is more satisfying than paying for goods, then is wasting money on experiences that don't happen more demoralizing than wasting money on goods that are not used.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Life insurance.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Various garden tilling tools. Nothing works better than a hoe for our garden. A claw/weasel might work but then i risk having 3 useless tilling tools.
jhd1945

Post by jhd1945 »

Several years ago: new Porsche 911S Great car but garage queen with HIGH depreciation
goingup

Post by goingup »

Pool table. $2,500.
McGilicutty

Post by McGilicutty »

Chocolate chip cookies. Went grocery shopping hungry, saw the cookies, and had to have them. Now, half a package later, I'm all bloated and I think I've gained like 2 pounds. I'm going to have to run twice as far as I usually do to burn them off.

Most of my regret purchases are food. I don't impulse buy anything else but food. It's a terrible habit.
Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide »

My last bass boat...
Topic Author
harrington

Post by harrington »

bloom2708 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:37 pm I regret when I have something I really like and use and then buy a second one or a third one. That never works.

I have mountain bike I like and use it a lot. I then decide I should have a road bike because I should go road biking more. I end up using both bikes less and having "bike guilt" because I am not using one or the other as much as I should be.

More is not more. More is less in many cases.
I did the same with motorcycles. Bought a brand new Street Glide then fell in love with a Triumph Bonneville. Sold the Street Glide and a year later sold the Bonneville. 🙄
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

harrington wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:59 pm
I did the same with motorcycles. Bought a brand new Street Glide then fell in love with a Triumph Bonneville. Sold the Street Glide and a year later sold the Bonneville. 🙄
I am not a motorcycle guy, but I did take a Triumph Bonneville for a ride. Man that thing was awesome. BUT, I knew (from experience) that a motorcycle purchase would be another reason to not ride my pedal bike.

I am a pedal biker at heart, so a motorcycle, moped, scooter, convertible are all taking opportunities away to enjoy biking. Sometimes I learn. Sometimes I don't.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I bought a five-year XM radio subscription. It was $10/month or $600 for the full term. The radio was something like $150 on top of that, so it was $750. It was fun for awhile but it wasn't worth that much money. This was before streaming services were available.
Last edited by Nicolas on Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

A Lexus.

I was ready for a new car, and I could afford it. But I soon found out I was not ready for the high cost of maintaining a "luxury" car. When the odometer light went out and I found they had to pull the dashboard off to replace the bulb, I knew it was time to trade it in.

I bought a Camry, and have happily driven it for the last 15 years.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

For me it would be computer accessories. I have a number of keyboards, mice, speakers, flash drives, etc. that I've accumulated over the years. I've gotten out of the habit fortunately. The last time I bought a computer accessory was a monitor I got from a thrift store as I wanted to have 3 monitors instead of just two. :)

On the bright side of things, if any of my computer accessories break down, I probably have plenty of backups available to keep things running smoothly! 8-)
TheHouse7

Post by TheHouse7 »

Cheese slicers, can't handle the work load. Buy the best qulaity first.
"PSX will always go up 20%, why invest in anything else?!" -Father-in-law early retired.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Back in the day, a Pet Rock.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

Amazon Kindle Fire

I'm usually pretty good at not getting things when they first come out. I end up being much happier waiting for the 2nd or 3rd generation and it's often easier to get a deal then too. However, there was a super-good deal on the Kindle Fire and I had been reading Kindle books on my (small) phone so I pulled the trigger. After a few books, the Kindle Fire went into the cabinet for good. I either read on my computer or phone (which now has a bigger screen than my phone did years ago).
rav2fi

Post by rav2fi »

XBox One. It's now a glorified Netflix streaming device and not even a good one at that.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Hot Tub. Was great the first 2 years, but the heater broke and I haven't used it for the last 2 years.

Going to give it another run this winter, but if it isn't used that much, or breaks again, I will have someone come and dispose of it.

(Had the heater fixed a couple of months ago).

Also, my now "weekend" car, an E36 M3. I don't have time for a 3rd car, so it sits in the garage on the battery tender.
Last edited by runner3081 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
celia

Post by celia »

VictoriaF wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:40 pm This brings up an interesting question. If paying for experiences is more satisfying than paying for goods, then is wasting money on experiences that don't happen more demoralizing than wasting money on goods that are not used.
Yes, because the goods can always be returned or given to someone who will use them or be put in a white elephant exchange or donated to charity. Either you will get a refund or someone else can benefit from it. However, a missed experience doesn't benefit anyone except the company that didn't have to provide the service to you.

Off hand, I can't think of anything I've regretted purchasing. But I do regret not purchasing a few things. (I've gone back to the store to buy it, and they were all out.)
Topic Author
harrington

Post by harrington »

bluebolt wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:23 pm Amazon Kindle Fire

I'm usually pretty good at not getting things when they first come out. I end up being much happier waiting for the 2nd or 3rd generation and it's often easier to get a deal then too. However, there was a super-good deal on the Kindle Fire and I had been reading Kindle books on my (small) phone so I pulled the trigger. After a few books, the Kindle Fire went into the cabinet for good. I either read on my computer or phone (which now has a bigger screen than my phone did years ago).
I did the same thing......And now it's sitting in a drawer.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

I can't think of anything major. I am pretty deliberate with my purchases. When I was a kid I saved my allowance for months to buy a "king ding a ling". Basically a toy robot but not a real robot that does anything. After I got it then it dawned on me that I blew months of allowance on something that was completely worthless. That has stuck ever since.

I have mentioned in threads we are doing a major remodel and new furniture and some of it is pricey. There is a greater than zero chance that I will regret not vetoing a couple of costly choices.
Topic Author
harrington

Post by harrington »

runner3081 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:40 pm Hot Tub. Was great the first 2 years, but the heater broke and I haven't used it for the last 2 years.

Going to give it another run this winter, but if it isn't used that much, or breaks again, I will have someone come and dispose of it.

Also, my now "weekend" car, an E36 M3. I don't have time for a 3rd car, so it sits in the garage on the battery tender.
An amazing car....Drive it!! :sharebeer
celia

Post by celia »

jebmke wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:46 pm Life insurance.
Maybe you regret it, but it was not useless. If you hadn't had it and died, then you would have regretted it. :D :D :D

This should be considered in the same category as medical insurance and earthquake insurance. If you end up not filing a claim, that means that you didn't suffer the consequences of having something happen that the insurance covered. In other words, it is better to have insurance and not need to make a claim than to not have it, but then wish you did.
steadyeddy

Post by steadyeddy »

A Bose Soundtouch 300 soundbar. I agonized about going with the Bose or the Sonos, and eventually picked the Bose because it was newer with ARC support.

Terrible, terrible decision. The phone remote app is awful (can't switch back and forth from Bluetooth to TV input using the app), the "integration" with Amazon Music is worthless, and I've resigned myself to the fact that they will never, ever release the Amazon Alexa skill they've been promising for a full year. Bose is dead to me. Fool me once...
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

harrington wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:55 pm
runner3081 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:40 pm Hot Tub. Was great the first 2 years, but the heater broke and I haven't used it for the last 2 years.

An amazing car....Drive it!! :sharebeer
I don't want to spend the money to fix it when it breaks. Actually have it up for sale at the moment.
blurryvision

Post by blurryvision »

I regret buying a >$7,000 Rolex and a >$6,000 Panerai luxury watches. I don't feel safe wearing them everywhere in public. And they really don't provide any significant joy.

Most of the time, these watches sit inside the safe.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Cable and satellite TV. We subscribed from 1985 or 1986 to 2010 when we ditched it and went to free antenna reception. We spent thousands. A waste of money, in retrospect.

Actually at an average of $30/month (it was cheaper back then, though the dollars were bigger) X 12 months X 24 years = $8,640. What do I have to show for it? Nothing. At least we never subscribed to any premium movie channels. Also I'd like to have that time back.

When I was a kid I read in my Weekly Reader that in the future something called "Cable TV" was coming, and there would be no commercials because you'd have to pay for it. What a laugh.
Last edited by Nicolas on Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bligh

Post by bligh »

I regret buying all 5 of the watches I own, each in the $2-9K range. I bought them back when I was a younger and very different person.. I still own them since I cannot bring myself to take the loss and get rid of them. But I wish I had invested my money instead of wasting it on shiny doo-dah status symbols of little use.

I hardly ever wear them anymore because they make me feel stupid instead of successful. Instead, if I do wear watch, it is one of my GShocks or my  Watch. I guess I should wear them more.. as a reminder.. like a scar. :(
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

celia wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:57 pm Maybe you regret it, but it was not useless. If you hadn't had it and died, then you would have regretted it. :D :D :D
Only if it hurt. :P
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

A number of the managed mutual funds and individual stocks that I bought in my early years before I became a Boglehead :happy
If you want a list of items that I regret that my spouse bought let me know - that list is pretty long :happy
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

blurryvision wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:06 pm I regret buying a >$7,000 Rolex and a >$6,000 Panerai luxury watches. I don't feel safe wearing them everywhere in public. And they really don't provide any significant joy.

Most of the time, these watches sit inside the safe.
Then why not sell them? You won't get what you paid but there is a pretty good market out there.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

Jacuzzi with my bath tub. Somehow the jet does not spray on my back but on my sides. That's not where I need the most help. But my kids certainly enjoy them.
Last edited by DrGoogle2017 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
douginct

Post by douginct »

A nespresso espresso / cappacino maker. The machine is fine. But we hardly ever use it - something my wife points out on a regular basis.
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

Our pool. Kids grew up. Most action the pool gets is me scooping leaves & dumping money in it. I wanted a pool home in Florida to help our young daughters accept their new life 1000 miles away. Used it pretty hard for about 6 years. Now likely the reason wife and I will sell.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
simple man

Post by simple man »

Any kitchen device other than a good set of pots, pans and sharp knives. Everything else just adds complexity...

Wood floors...

Schwab Private Client Service...
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

I can't seem to find the 'like' button - I'll keep looking....
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

Not much a regret guy but there was that hot tub...
Never did figure out maintenance
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

WhyNotUs wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:31 pm Not much a regret guy but there was that hot tub...
Never did figure out maintenance
Right? I have the pool down, but the hot tub is a whole different beast.
simple man

Post by simple man »

And fancy home theater with wired speakers. It turns out a sound bar is 98% as good, much cheaper and super easier. (hint - the rear speakers in a home theater are used very seldom and most all the sound comes from the front anyway)
skeptical

Post by skeptical »

steadyeddy wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:00 pm A Bose Soundtouch 300 soundbar. I agonized about going with the Bose or the Sonos, and eventually picked the Bose because it was newer with ARC support.

Terrible, terrible decision. The phone remote app is awful (can't switch back and forth from Bluetooth to TV input using the app), the "integration" with Amazon Music is worthless, and I've resigned myself to the fact that they will never, ever release the Amazon Alexa skill they've been promising for a full year. Bose is dead to me. Fool me once...
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I got the Sonos playbar, and it does not work very well - sound cuts out for a second or two every once in awhile, the "surround" sound with two player1's does not work that well, and voice lags behind the video. For $800 I would expect more. Sonos blames the TV manufacturers for not implementing Dolby correctly.

Of course, I went ahead and bought a second one for the other TV, and it does the same thing (Samsung and a Sony). Overall, probably better than spending a lot more money on a home theater system and integrating that with Sonos, but not very happy with Sonos selling equipement they know does not work properly.

Fool me twice ...
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

I'm having a very hard time coming up with something. To the OP - at least you enjoyed the HT with your kids - that is all that matters at this point sell it.

We bought a very expensive swim spa last year - took a huge crane to deliver it - as a consequence we had to re-do our deck and deck railing - now our backyard is pretty much a paradise. We use it every morning - so no regrets there - my wife swims while I chill and enjoy the jets.

I love all my HIFI equipment (my big hobby) - I was regretting buying all of it as I felt it caused me to drink more alcohol (my music room as a huge trigger) - but lately I've really been enjoying it w/o the need to drink. I didn't think that was possible.

I'm good.
Tycoon

Post by Tycoon »

The book The Power of Habit.
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. Getting rich off of "smart people's" behavioral mistakes.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

Several video game systems and many, many dozens of games that I bought in my 20s in an unsuccessful attempt to recreate the joy I had playing video games as a 12 year old. I did eventually sell all of them and got some money back. Since then, I'm very careful about electronic gadgets that I buy.
hightower

Post by hightower »

My house. Lol. It's too big.
sambb

Post by sambb »

Regrets: windows pc, Camry, and any watch that isn't a smart watch, Samsung android phone

Glad I bought: porsche, macbook, IPhone
staythecourse

Post by staythecourse »

Interesting. This may be the ONE thing that I don't mind not using. If I did that would mean I'm dead and that is A LOT worse then losing x amount of money on the yearly premium.

Also, don't mind not using my umbrella policy or my home owners insurance policy or my auto policy or my health insurance. Any insurance product that I don't use I am happy as that means the worst has not happened. It is the one time I am happy the house wins.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

A large deluxe BBQ from Costco. It was all stainless, and while the outside held up very well, after several years the burners started to fail and because it had been a special one-off production run for Costco, I couldn't get replacement parts.
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

curmudgeon wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:59 pm A large deluxe BBQ from Costco. It was all stainless, and while the outside held up very well, after several years the burners started to fail and because it had been a special one-off production run for Costco, I couldn't get replacement parts.
That is it! Thanks for reminding me - I couldn't think of anything earlier.

My biggest regret was buying the Costco Membership (the more expensive one that supposedly pays for itself.)

My wife and I cannot stand Costco - we were moving our son to Tucson and figured we could get great deals there to furnish his apartment - but in the end we simply hit up walmart. I thought my savings would be awesome - it didn't turn out that way.

I regret that.