Name something you had to have and now you regret purchasing it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
queso

Re: Name something you had to have and now you regret purchasing it?

Post by queso »

indexonlyplease wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:35 pm
celia wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:40 pm
VictoriaF wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:40 pm This brings up an interesting question. If paying for experiences is more satisfying than paying for goods, then is wasting money on experiences that don't happen more demoralizing than wasting money on goods that are not used.
Yes, because the goods can always be returned or given to someone who will use them or be put in a white elephant exchange or donated to charity. Either you will get a refund or someone else can benefit from it. However, a missed experience doesn't benefit anyone except the company that didn't have to provide the service to you.

Off hand, I can't think of anything I've regretted purchasing. But I do regret not purchasing a few things. (I've gone back to the store to buy it, and they were all out.)

WoW, how many times have I done this. Last one was after hurricane Irma last week. I went to Home Depot to purchase a portalbe a/c. They had aleast 50 of them. I told myself I will come back Saturday with my truck. 2 days later all gone.
This is a good point about disaster preparedness supplies. Often, if you wait, you won't be able to buy them. I've experienced this twice. The first time I ended up buying a portable generator from a guy in a Starbucks parking lot the night before a big storm because there were none to be had in reasonable driving distance. That wasn't enough for me to learn my lesson though. The second time was when we came home to a frozen/burst pipe after a record breaking cold spell. After getting it under control (luckily I do have electric transfer pumps on hand, a Shopvac and several dehumidifiers) I went out to buy a couple of those fancy carpet drying fans. None anywhere. I also took note that they were sold out of Shopvacs, transfer pumps, squeeges, dehumidifiers AND carpet fans. Seems other people with the same problem snatched everything up. Worth keeping in mind about certain purchases even if you think you will never/seldom use them.
Last edited by queso on Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ninnie

Post by Ninnie »

Saab, a long time ago. It was a POS. Overpriced and constant expensive repairs. I still cringe at the thought. One of those young and learning mistakes.

Samsung anything. I had a TV that broke within a year and a cell phone that never had a properly functioning battery. I won't touch that brand anymore.

Kenmore lawnmower, BBQ, vacuum- all purchased when we bought our first house and stopped working within a year. Replaced with other brands that are still going. Kenmore stove didn't technically break but I hated it as it had no power and heated up slower than molasses. The only successful Kenmore purchase was the refrigerator.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

The huge hot tub that we paid dearly for many years ago which we used frequently for a couple of years then completely ignored, unless my wife got nostalgic, causing me to start the process all over again for a single use . Regular maintenance/draining & refilling, $50 a month additional in electric charges. I had to take apart the back fence to get it in, and sneak it in through the city park. Impractical/impossible to sell. Ended up cutting it up with a sawsall and hauling it with my full sized pickup in three trips to the dump, recycling what I could. Best decision I ever made was starting up that sawsall and making the first cut.

Now we have an 10' square cement pad off the deck in the back yard that I poured to accommodate the hot tub, which can be used as an additional gathering place. Of course that meant buying additional patio furniture. :?
Simple Simon

Post by Simple Simon »

Shares in Electricitie de France. Those guys have lost like 90% since 2004
Last edited by Simple Simon on Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
25% stock, 25% bonds, 25% cash, 25% stuff
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

nimo956 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:53 pm I spent over $10k on top quality large format photography equipment (the wooden accordion camera where you get underneath the dark cloth). I was going to be Ansel Adams, venturing off into the wilderness to capture Nature in all her beauty.

The bag + hiking gear was over 40 lbs, and I nearly died carrying it up 4000ft on a 9hr hike. I was so exhausted when I got to the top of the mountain that I couldn't even focus on the photography! I used it a few more times before selling everything off at a (not too great) discount. The weight and hassle interfered with the enjoyment.

I used the proceeds to buy a hand-made guitar, which I actually use on a regular basis. Now I just use my iPhone for pictures because it's lighter and I always have it with me :oops: !

Come to think of it, I've had a variety of hobbies with which I've lost interest:
Bowling equipment (custom balls, shoes, etc.)
Table tennis equipment (custom paddles)
Rock climbing equipment (harness, shoes)

I now have a very strict rule, where I unsympathetically sell any possessions I haven't used in a year. I also no longer buy music, books or movies because the first two can be obtained for free from the internet/library, and the latter from streaming services.

I really don't spend my money on things anymore. Most of my expenses are for experiences like food, concerts, travel, etc.
I now rent a lot of photography equipment, particularly lenses. Use them for what I need and then return them. It's worth it to me to not have to worry about owning another expensive piece of equipment I may or may not use.
FuyuKei

Post by FuyuKei »

Xbox One. Yeah I really wanted to play console exclusives, but it's just not worth the money. PC is far cheaper overall, and I can just plug in controllers. Xbox is not plug and play anymore, you have to run crazy amounts of updates. And I've got limited time to game anyways. Plus I don't need as much space/ have to worry about setup. We still use it, but I won't buy another console.

This thread makes me think. I'm gonna see if my SO is okay with selling it.
I see a lot of people holding onto things that don't make them happy. Sell it. Invest it or put it towards what you do want.
Last edited by FuyuKei on Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

"Loopnet" commercial property listing services.
Very expensive.
Paid for several years up front for a discount.
Only needed it for 6 months.

Morningstar.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
latesaver

Post by latesaver »

harrington wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:27 pm I'd have to say my home theater in my basement. Since the kids are gone I hardly ever use it as I usually watch TV on the first floor.
nortel stock

hermes ties, brooks brothers suits, etc.

Guitars and amps. Never learned to play them. Sold on craigslist this year.

bottles of wine for >$150 straight from the Napa vineyards. Bota box wine is just fine.

high end 4K TV

samsung appliances

not technically a purchase, but an emergency fund that was >7x my annual expenses and held in cash earning 1% for the last 3-4 years. not that i would have but, were i to follow the 4% rule, i could have retired (i am 37) had that $ been invested in the market.
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

Haha, if we are talking about stocks there are plenty of regrets there before I adopted a boglehead approach. I used to listen to friends about the "can't miss" stock I absolutely had to buy. More often than not I lost money. A few made a little but I certainly never found the next Apple.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

latesaver wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:25 pm nortel stock
The Nortel stock was a source of my financial downfall, too, but in a different way. In the 1990s, I was working for Bell Labs, and the Lucent stock looked cheap in comparison to Nortel. And so I started "catching a falling knife" of LU in my 401(k).

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Radjob4me

Post by Radjob4me »

hightower wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:50 pm My house. Lol. It's too big.
My regret too. Although I am fairly sure we will get our money back, it is huge at over 6000 sq ft and costs a fortune in utilities/property taxes and is a ton of maintenance (yes, regret 1A is that we also put in a pool that now doesn't get used by our teens.) We keep waffling on whether to sell it now or wait until kids done with high school.

But I have to say we have a hot tub (lots of folks here regret theirs) and we love it, especially when it gets cold (in New England). We run it all year and it has a great mountain view. Totally wish we had only the hot tub and not the pool
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

I splurged on some very expensive DNA preservation services for my oldest relatives because I am a little bit of a genealogy nut. (Thousands of dollars!) So, now, basically, I have futuristic looking metal canisters of perfectly preserved, dried DNA sitting on a shelf somewhere in storage.

I am starting to regret this purchase given the pace of genetic research and am wondering if the stored DNA will ever become useful enough to unlock some of the genealogical mysteries in my family. I am most interested in knowing the history of paternal ancestors going by my last name, which I can only trace to the last few hundred years.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Caduceus wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:00 pm I am most interested in knowing the history of paternal ancestors going by my last name, which I can only trace to the last few hundred years.
That's easy and free. According to Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caduceus , you can trace Caduceus to
Wikipedia wrote:Mesopotamian origin with the Sumerian god Ningishzida whose symbol, a staff with two snakes intertwined around it, dates back to 4000 B.C. to 3000 B.C.
Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

I'm about to buy an RX-8. I hope that doesn't get added to this list.
tpetsch

Post by tpetsch »

Solomon Smith Barney 1% management fees.

Thankfully, that's all in the past now.
FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat »

bob60014 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:20 pm Back in the day, a Pet Rock.
I think the marketing guy for the pet rock was a genius. Sold a rock in a box to lots of people.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.
pechy2925

Post by pechy2925 »

My 55" Sony 4k TV...used it for a few months. Now it just sits there
ebrasmus21

Post by ebrasmus21 »

I've been following this thread pretty closely and I assumed posters would describe regret in buying a high-end/luxury watch. I don't remember seeing many comments about watches so I guess that can only mean one thing: nice watch for me!!
meebers

Post by meebers »

In 2009 I rode GM stock to the bottom. All along hoping that a company this big could not fail. :annoyed It did.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

pechy2925 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:09 pm My 55" Sony 4k TV...used it for a few months. Now it just sits there
You should see if you can find the Power On switch, possibly on the remote somewhere...
:)
Attempted new signature...
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

pechy2925 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:09 pm My 55" Sony 4k TV...used it for a few months. Now it just sits there
That's why I stick with our 24 inch. Rarely used. Big one would just be in the way.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
dougger5

Post by dougger5 »

Drill press.

Bought a guitar neck as the first part of a guitar build, which would have been my first attempt. Figured I'd need a drill press to get those tuning peg holes juuuust right.

Guitar neck sat for two years, then I shipped it to a luthier and paid him to turn it into a guitar for me.

Used the drill press once...to test out the laser guide.

Love the guitar, BTW 8-)
doglaws wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:25 pm Telescope - Used it a couple of times and now it sits in a box.
I bought my Dad a telescope. I don't regret that, because he got a little enjoyment out of it. But it made its way back to me, and I kinda regret that I don't use it much. It's like the climate has to be PERFECT: In the winter, it's too cold; and in the summer, the biting insects are all over the place.

Shame...we live in a reasonably light-pollution-free area.
"I've been ionized, but I'm okay now." -Buckaroo Banzai
Stipe

Post by Stipe »

A Land Rover defender 90...agghhh
TheHouse7

Post by TheHouse7 »

Bought my wife a food dehydrator use for 2 months sits in the garage :greedy $300
Last edited by TheHouse7 on Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"PSX will always go up 20%, why invest in anything else?!" -Father-in-law early retired.
TheHouse7

Post by TheHouse7 »

boomer wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:36 pm
EnjoyIt wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:25 pm House with a pool.
Since I stink at maintaining it and turned the water green we hire out for $170/month ($2040/yr) plus incidentals ranging from $50-$200/yr. In the last 5 years we had to re-line the pool and replaced the motor costing about $10k plus the extra electricity I figure in these 5 years we are spending about $5k/yr on this pool. To keep this house in retirement we need to have an extra $125k for a 4% withdrawal of $5k/yr. If we were smart we would just take the loss on the house and move into something smaller. But we are dumbasses.
:D This made me laugh!
+1
"PSX will always go up 20%, why invest in anything else?!" -Father-in-law early retired.
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

I have never been happy with my couches (sofa +loveseat). So I have purchased four pairs so far. Wasted $10,000+ on them. And fifth is on the way :oops: . Then I have a leather chase I don't use and doesn't go with everything in the house - $1200. And two recliners - $700 - that now just look ugly since it won't match with the rest of the stuff.

And I insisted buying a bunkbed/desk combo for my girl when she was 2. She never used it. That was expensive like $3000.

Such a waste of money - I guess I was buying things without thinking of how it will go together. I need to find a way to sell all this. Perhaps I need to post it on the craigslist.
Cousin Eddie

Post by Cousin Eddie »

The lot next to my house, though I must say with all the mowing and edging it's been much better as an exercise regimen then the eliptical that sits in my garage.
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Howdy

AIG stock. How can a properly run insurance company possibly go broke?

I found out :oops:

W B
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid
rtr-molar-doc

Post by rtr-molar-doc »

Stock in Lucent and Nokia. Also purchased a whole life insurance policy(on credit no less) when I was a senior in dental school. Got out of that one real real quick though.
il0kin

Post by il0kin »

runner3081 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:40 pm Hot Tub. Was great the first 2 years, but the heater broke and I haven't used it for the last 2 years.

Going to give it another run this winter, but if it isn't used that much, or breaks again, I will have someone come and dispose of it.

(Had the heater fixed a couple of months ago).

Also, my now "weekend" car, an E36 M3. I don't have time for a 3rd car, so it sits in the garage on the battery tender.
Sell the E36 M3, they sell for far more than they should these days. I sold mine (it was fairly beat up, salvage title) for about $3500 about 10 years ago... ugh!
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

I traded in my perfectly good paid off VW for a new 1976 280Z. Because someone broke my heart. Boy, I showed him!
It funny, all the dopes who seemed so impressed and wanted to talk to me. It was an eye-opener for sure. 8-)

The payments were 200 which was a bit less than my weekly wage. I lasted 4 months before loading on to some office manager for cheap.
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

Koi pond in the backyard. I now spend more time maintaining it than enjoying it plus the hawks always seem to get the koi when they get big enough.

Wife won't let me fill it in

TravelforFun
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

latesaver wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:25 pm
bottles of wine for >$150 straight from the Napa vineyards. Bota box wine is just fine.
Glad someone feels the same as me.

TravelforFun
ThePrince

Post by ThePrince »

EnjoyIt wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:25 pm House with a pool.
Since I stink at maintaining it and turned the water green we hire out for $170/month ($2040/yr) plus incidentals ranging from $50-$200/yr. In the last 5 years we had to re-line the pool and replaced the motor costing about $10k plus the extra electricity I figure in these 5 years we are spending about $5k/yr on this pool. To keep this house in retirement we need to have an extra $125k for a 4% withdrawal of $5k/yr. If we were smart we would just take the loss on the house and move into something smaller. But we are dumbasses.
Literally laughing out loud at your last two sentences.
treypar

Post by treypar »

Swimming pool
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

House and furniture.

Since I only do this around once every ten years I forget the last time(s) I was an idiot.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

il0kin wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:32 pm
runner3081 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:40 pm Hot Tub. Was great the first 2 years, but the heater broke and I haven't used it for the last 2 years.

Going to give it another run this winter, but if it isn't used that much, or breaks again, I will have someone come and dispose of it.

Also, my now "weekend" car, an E36 M3. I don't have time for a 3rd car, so it sits in the garage on the battery tender.
Sell the E36 M3, they sell for far more than they should these days. I sold mine (it was fairly beat up, salvage title) for about $3500 about 10 years ago... ugh!
Funny you mention that, I sold the M3 about 6 months ago for $4k.

Also, sold the hot tub 2 months ago as well.

Regrets gone!
il0kin

Post by il0kin »

runner3081 wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:29 pm

Regrets gone!
That's it?! OMG... was it in really rough shape? They sell for 8000+ around here.
EFF_fan81

Post by EFF_fan81 »

"Had to have?" Nothing. I've really never thought that way, ever. Bought then realized I didn't need?

Cats. (But DW likes them).

Fitbit. (Phone does 90% of that anyways, annoying to charge, guilt).

A $100 tie that I bought as an emergency for a picture (long story) and wanted to return but felt to0 guilty to pull the trigger.

$1500 golf clubs. (I'm not that good and could have picked up $500 golf clubs and been fine. I like the clubs, but I wouldn't mind trading them in for $1,000 if offered.)

About 15 pounds worth of unhealthy food / drink.

All in all, not that much spending that I regret.
Last edited by EFF_fan81 on Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
permport

Post by permport »

I regret purchasing the 2015 15" MacBook Pro with integrated graphics. It was only a $500 jump to the next tier with double the storage and dedicated graphics. Well worth the purchase, but I was just too stingy at that moment. Totally regret not going for the extra power now -- especially when firing up a video game.
Buy right and hold tight.
EFF_fan81

Post by EFF_fan81 »

harrychan wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:03 pm
Uncle Pennybags wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:58 am
Chadnudj wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:55 pm A rental property.
Not me but my brother went that rout. He had a professional dead beat tenant who wouldn't pay and it took eight months to evict her. She knew every trick in the book to stay. Owning one property is like owning one stock.
My friend's in law is going through this. 4 unit apt and leased one to a real estate agent. Thinking he was safe but nope. He was a professional as well. Now he is counter suing the landlord for racial discrimination but offering to drop if he let him walk free and no report to credit agencies.
My two cents, just let the tenant walk. I know it burns but it's life and it's the right business call. Can't get blood from a stone anyways.
EFF_fan81

Post by EFF_fan81 »

docbrown wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:58 am Skydiving rig. I don't regret getting my A license, but skydiving is fairly boring if you aren't turned on by practicing and performing pointless formations in freefall. Driving to the DZ where there is no running water or food, then spending an hour and a half or more per jump waiting for the plane, waiting on the plane, and packing, all that for 50 seconds of freefall, and losing the entire weekend to make 8 jumps and spend only $200 for the privilege got old real fast. Even if it was free I still wouldn't bother.

Scuba gear, dry suit, full face mask. Like skydiving, it feels good, it's an interesting experience, but it's a huge hassle.

Paper honeycomb based IKEA furniture.

I don't regret my fancy Cannondale road bike, road trips out West, IKEA solid wood work desk with steel frame and T legs, upgrading to a Mac with a Retina display, or buying the expensive bed sheets.
I've always thought skydiving would be a super awesome thing to do once but would get repetitive. Anyways, I've never wanted to pay someone to throw me out of a plane.

This thread is really fascinating though. Thanks, bogleheads!
jfn111

Post by jfn111 »

vested1 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:02 am The huge hot tub that we paid dearly for many years ago which we used frequently for a couple of years then completely ignored, unless my wife got nostalgic, causing me to start the process all over again for a single use . Regular maintenance/draining & refilling, $50 a month additional in electric charges. I had to take apart the back fence to get it in, and sneak it in through the city park. Impractical/impossible to sell. Ended up cutting it up with a sawsall and hauling it with my full sized pickup in three trips to the dump, recycling what I could. Best decision I ever made was starting up that sawsall and making the first cut.

Now we have an 10' square cement pad off the deck in the back yard that I poured to accommodate the hot tub, which can be used as an additional gathering place. Of course that meant buying additional patio furniture. :?
I agree about the hot tub. I used a chainsaw to cut mine into 4 pieces and I happily hauled it to the landfill. :sharebeer
leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster »

jerryk68 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:36 pm Learned a lot and was very selective in my second and current marriage.
“Current marriage” - lol

Do you really introduce your wife as “your current wife”? Seems like one of those quips you can pull off... once.
nhdean

Post by nhdean »

My second year of college. I switched schools after freshman year. I just did not take it seriously that year. Basically I wasted all that money. Navy reserve and then back to school and finished it up.
bi0hazard

Post by bi0hazard »

Expensive cars. But I'll buy 'em again, and surely regret. :annoyed
Disclaimer: I'm not very smart, and this is just my hypothesis.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

il0kin wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:43 pm
runner3081 wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:29 pm

Regrets gone!
That's it?! OMG... was it in really rough shape? They sell for 8000+ around here.
The least desirable M3 ever for 4 reasons.

1) E36
2) Automatic (or Autotragic as some call it)
3) Color - Silver
4) Sedan

...oh yeah, it also had 245K on the clock :)
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

jfn111 wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:24 pm
vested1 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:02 am The huge hot tub that we paid dearly for many years ago which we used frequently for a couple of years then completely ignored, unless my wife got nostalgic, causing me to start the process all over again for a single use . Regular maintenance/draining & refilling, $50 a month additional in electric charges. I had to take apart the back fence to get it in, and sneak it in through the city park. Impractical/impossible to sell. Ended up cutting it up with a sawsall and hauling it with my full sized pickup in three trips to the dump, recycling what I could. Best decision I ever made was starting up that sawsall and making the first cut.

I agree about the hot tub. I used a chainsaw to cut mine into 4 pieces and I happily hauled it to the landfill. :sharebeer
You know, I thought I was going to have to pay someone to take mine, but it sold for $500 on Craigslist in 3 hours.
brandy

Post by brandy »

boomer wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:36 pm
EnjoyIt wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:25 pm House with a pool. Since I stink at maintaining it and turned the water green we hire out for $170/month ($2040/yr) plus incidentals ranging from $50-$200/yr. In the last 5 years we had to re-line the pool and replaced the motor costing about $10k plus the extra electricity I figure in these 5 years we are spending about $5k/yr on this pool. To keep this house in retirement we need to have an extra $125k for a 4% withdrawal of $5k/yr. If we were smart we would just take the loss on the house and move into something smaller. But we are dumbasses.
:D This made me laugh!
Me, too. I didn't buy a house with a pool. I bought a house. It has a pool. (story, I've wanted to live in this non-hoa subdivision since I saw it, and it took me 12 years to get here.) :wink: I'm not a swimmer, and planned to empty
it, or fill it in. But, I started using it, finally started enjoying it, then due to circumstances, emptied it. Here, some people--including me, maybe are boarding up the pool, (covering it) and using it for other things, such as patio furniture, maybe a roof, a floor with a sump pump, storage, hobby room, etc.
ClaycordJCA

Post by ClaycordJCA »

soccerrules wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:09 am
StoneyJB wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:25 pm Classic Mercedes 300E... Great Ride, Wife Loved it but Maintenance costs KILLED me...
MB E350 - have enjoyed the car and the smooth ride, but $1000 every time it's in the shop. Should have bought a Camry.
Best of both worlds - Lexus 300h.