Name something you had to have and now you regret purchasing it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
BV3273

Re: Name something you had to have and now you regret purchasing it?

Post by BV3273 »

Fishtank. Just listed it on Craigslist with the 7,000 other people that have buyers remorse.
gator15

Post by gator15 »

My cat. He isn't friendly as he scratches everyone and all our furniture. Definitely not a family pet.
queso

Post by queso »

Ducati Panigale 1199 S. "S" stands for stupid. :happy

Torture to ride on public roads or in traffic and had the usual (for Ducati anyway) multiple visits to the dealer for warranty work in the first few months of ownership. Sold it at a loss with only 5k on the odometer.

Just have to remind myself not to remember what it was like on the track or there's a risk I'll buy another. :D
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Lakehouse. Has not been used regularly due to some other decisions.

Tim
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

A Wii + Mario Cart.

Used the thing maybe 20 times over a year and change and sold it for $40.
book lover

Post by book lover »

My first computer pre Microsoft Windows.
Last edited by book lover on Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

harrington wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:50 am Here's a future regret http://wagonmaster.com
Are you going to get the Antarctic Blue Super Sportswagon with a C.B. radio and The Optional Rally Fun-Pack?
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags »

Chadnudj wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:55 pm A rental property.
Not me but my brother went that rout. He had a professional dead beat tenant who wouldn't pay and it took eight months to evict her. She knew every trick in the book to stay. Owning one property is like owning one stock.
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

simple man wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:25 pm Any kitchen device other than a good set of pots, pans and sharp knives. Everything else just adds complexity...
That reminds me of a juicer I bought. The first drink I made had such a horrible taste and smell I didn't want to try to make a second drink. I ended up giving it to my sister since she needed a new juicer. At least it's not taking up space in my kitchen anymore.
Will do good wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:56 pm I'm surprised that no one says New years resolution exercise machines. :twisted:
I've never felt tempted (or pressured) to buy an exercise machine. I don't have the space in my apartment and even if I did, the machine would probably be a safety hazard for my two cats.
SirRunsabit

Post by SirRunsabit »

Regret owning so much furniture. One piece stands out in particular: this purple sofa. It was a beaut! Then we moved from a house to an apartment. So the sofa went to storage. $1300 sofa plus $100 a month to house it. Then we got a condo, didn't fit through the door! It was donated, had to get rid of it quick.

Regret not buying this print by Alexander Calder. I was broke at the time. And this 19th century eel skin bound Canterbury Tales. It was cool. Those are good regrets to have.

Humorous regret? This wedding cake I'm still paying for :D
Hi!
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

The fancy motor and rebuild of my 1976 BMW 2002.

When the original engine needed a major overhaul, I went "all in", got the thing bored and stroked, higher compression ratio, dual side draft Webers, electronic ignition, "tuned" exhaust. It was nice, but loud and exhausting on long drives, and getting the car through emissions testing was an annual nightmare, as it was not yet old enough for antique plates. Then the body rust came :(. I sold it for a loss of $5K and it could have been much worse. A young man's mistake. Fun, but the dollars could have been used in SO many better ways.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Birdie55 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:22 pm
barnaclebob wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:46 pm Various garden tilling tools. Nothing works better than a hoe for our garden. A claw/weasel might work but then i risk having 3 useless tilling tools.
Try using a spading fork to dig your garden area. I fertilize, dig it in with the spading fork and them level the soil using the back of a rake. Works great.
I've already got one of those, i'll have to give it a try when we plant garlic. Thanks
doglaws wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:25 pm Telescope - Used it a couple of times and now it sits in a box.
I think this is ok. You'll pull it out the next time some cool comet goes by. Unless its a real cheapo, then maybe donate it to a thrift store.
Mrs.Feeley wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:22 am Regrets:
Various canning tools and supplies
We love canning and have two different sized pressure canners. What did you get that you regret? Any time we make stew, gumbo, or soup we make a much larger batch and then can 2 to 4 quarts of leftovers in the small pressure canner. A lot of people make canning into a huge day long event but really many things can be done in just an hour or two. The 200lbs of tomatoes we have on order will be a full day or more this weekend...
tacster

Post by tacster »

A Macbook. Overpriced and underperforming.
INSERT PITHY QUOTE HERE
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Mostly upgrading electronic devices (computers, tablets, laptops) when there was really nothing wrong with the original. They typically turned out to be marginally better, but I am usually disappointed.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

SimonJester wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:41 am
harrington wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:50 am Here's a future regret http://wagonmaster.com
Are you going to get the Antarctic Blue Super Sportswagon with a C.B. radio and The Optional Rally Fun-Pack?
With those prices on those Wagoneers, best to just look. :shock:

While nice back in the day, they were rust buckets and didn't ride very good. Nostalgia is very expensive at times.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
BogleMe

Post by BogleMe »

Fairholme Fund; ticker FAIRX.
Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags »

SimonJester wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:41 am Are you going to get the Antarctic Blue Super Sportswagon with a C.B. radio and The Optional Rally Fun-Pack?
The car I blew ten grand on back in 79 had a CB. Breaker, breaker good buddy, there is a bear in the air. Truckers would force me off the road. :(
Afty

Post by Afty »

EnjoyIt wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:25 pm House with a pool.
Since I stink at maintaining it and turned the water green we hire out for $170/month ($2040/yr) plus incidentals ranging from $50-$200/yr. In the last 5 years we had to re-line the pool and replaced the motor costing about $10k plus the extra electricity I figure in these 5 years we are spending about $5k/yr on this pool. To keep this house in retirement we need to have an extra $125k for a 4% withdrawal of $5k/yr. If we were smart we would just take the loss on the house and move into something smaller. But we are dumbasses.
Thanks for the reminder of why I didn't want a house with a pool. We end up spending $250/yr for a membership to the neighborhood public pool, which seems like a great deal in comparison. :)
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

When I was much younger, the last drink (or two or three) every time I was out partying. :beer

gator15 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:22 am My cat. He isn't friendly as he scratches everyone and all our furniture. Definitely not a family pet.
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Pet ... 2975247011

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Pet ... 2975271011

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/t ... 2327108011

There are no bad pets, only bad pet owners!
Last edited by Pajamas on Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

BogleMe wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:04 am Fairholme Fund; ticker FAIRX.
+1 I bought in when Berkowitz was named Fund Manager of the Decade by Morningstar. But I got out in time and actually made money on it, but not much.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

I can't name of anything that I had to have and now I come to regret the purchase... If I purchase something out of "needs", it's because I actually need it.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

When I first saw this thread I thought I would have a long list to post. But after thinking more about it, there are many items I wish I hadn't purchased in retrospect but nothing that crosses into regret territory. It would take a pretty large purchase for me to truly regret it. Other than various investments I really can't think of anything in that category.
keystone

Post by keystone »

When we first moved into our house, within the span of a month we had two power outages that lasted 3-4 days each. I bought a 3500 watt generator like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Power-E ... DSIFE?th=1

Not only have we not had a single power outage since the time of my purchase, it takes up a ton of space in my already small shed. It also seems to annoy one of my neighbors when I run it. With 20/20 hindsight I would have purchased a much quieter and smaller Honda or Yamaha inverter generator.
gator15

Post by gator15 »

Pajamas wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:55 am When I was much younger, the last drink (or two or three) every time I was out partying. :beer

gator15 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:22 am My cat. He isn't friendly as he scratches everyone and all our furniture. Definitely not a family pet.
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Pet ... 2975247011

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Pet ... 2975271011

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/t ... 2327108011

There are no bad pets, only bad pet owners!
Maybe I am a bad owner despite grooming him and providing several scratch posts around the house. Doesn't change the fact I regret purchasing him.
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

This is probably inverse of the OP's question but I can only think of a few things that I did not buy and regret that I didn't buy them.

#1......We purchased a home in a wooded area 15+ years ago. The owners had an additional 1/2 acre lot for sale at the time and we could have got it for a song........ :oops: Wife was stay at home mom so only one income. However, in-laws were willing to borrow us the money at "0" interest....DW won't go along with the offer. A short time later the lot was sold and a house was build. Every time I look out the window and see that house......I regret not taking up a part-time job to buy the lot.........Happy Wife.....Happy Life :beer
AllieTB1323

Post by AllieTB1323 »

Our trailer trailer. It is now on consignment at a local dealer. Live and learn.
vveat

Post by vveat »

Son spending kindergarten in a private school. It made sense while the public K was half day, but last year they switched to full day and we still kept him in the private (I guess for continuity and sentimental reasons). Today was his first day in public for 1st grade and he loves it.

$17k down the drain :oops:
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

Airline tickets to Miami so I could go diving in the Keys from Friday - Wednesday.

The car rental and the hotel both refunded my money with no hassle but the airlines are insisting on a $200 penalty for each way. Neither direction cost $200.
jazman12

Post by jazman12 »

VictoriaF wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:40 pm I have purchased nonrefundable Air Canada tickets to Calgary and I can't go.

This brings up an interesting question. If paying for experiences is more satisfying than paying for goods, then is wasting money on experiences that don't happen more demoralizing than wasting money on goods that are not used.

Victoria
its sad either way :?
Act soon... time is running out
jazman12

Post by jazman12 »

jebmke wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:46 pm Life insurance.
that's because you're here to regret it. Think what you have to do to not regret it :confused
Act soon... time is running out
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

McGilicutty wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:51 pm Chocolate chip cookies. Went grocery shopping hungry, saw the cookies, and had to have them. Now, half a package later, I'm all bloated and I think I've gained like 2 pounds. I'm going to have to run twice as far as I usually do to burn them off.

Most of my regret purchases are food. I don't impulse buy anything else but food. It's a terrible habit.
I often fell victim to the same thing, so we made a rule in our house that if we want a dessert we have to make it from scratch. Certainly cuts down that impulse.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
SavageAmusement

Post by SavageAmusement »

Amazon Echo
jdb

Post by jdb »

Joining a hoity toity golf club/resort about hours drive from our house. We belong to nice local club, I enjoy playing golf there couple times a week and the restaurant. I had a couple friends who were members at the very hoity toity club and would play there with them, for some reason I decided would be nice to also belong. My two friends no longer as close as we used to be and I almost never bother making hour drive each way plus we have to pay not insubstantial annual membership dues. At end of this year will cut the cord even though means walking away from non refundable $40K initiation fee. An expensive lesson, I call it the avoid hoity toity pretensions lesson.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Good call. We have 2 cats. Such a pain, bad choice.
catdude

Post by catdude »

SavageAmusement wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:38 pm Amazon Echo
+1

The only thing I used my Echo for was listening to internet radio. Plus one of my cats was in the habit of rubbing up against it and knocking it over. So I unplugged it and stuck it in the closet. I've replaced it with an old Logitech Squeezebox Boom -- it works just as well for listening to 'net radio.
catdude | | "I yield to the gentleman for a few feeble remarks." (Congressman Thaddeus Stevens)
BTDT

Post by BTDT »

VictoriaF wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:40 pm

This brings up an interesting question. If paying for experiences is more satisfying than paying for goods, then is wasting money on experiences that don't happen more demoralizing than wasting money on goods that are not used.

Victoria
Yes :oops:
Last edited by BTDT on Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If past history was all that is needed to play the game of money, the richest people would be librarians.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

BTDT wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:06 pm
VictoriaF wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:40 pm I have purchased nonrefundable Air Canada tickets to Calgary and I can't go.

Victoria
Yes :oops:
You are killing me!

Most of my expenses are on experiences. Thus most of my regrets are about experiences that I canceled because they conflicted with other experiences and experiences that turned out worse than I had anticipated.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
StoneyJB

Post by StoneyJB »

Classic Mercedes 300E... Great Ride, Wife Loved it but Maintenance costs KILLED me...
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

I thought I would regret buying my Echo, but it turns out I use it much more than I thought I would and really get a ton of utility from it.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

bluebolt wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:35 pm
I thought I would regret buying my Echo, but it turns out I use it much more than I thought I would and really get a ton of utility from it.
Such as? I've always wondered what the utility of those products is. Seemed to me to be in the same category as smartwatches, a cool new gadget which I have a difficult time coming up with a single way they could make my life easier or more enjoyable.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

stoptothink wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:46 pm
Such as? I've always wondered what the utility of those products is. Seemed to me to be in the same category as smartwatches, a cool new gadget which I have a difficult time coming up with a single way they could make my life easier or more enjoyable.
We received the Echo Dot for a birthday.

It is used daily, but only for the purpose of playing music.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

In no particular order:
Turn on/off TV/receiver, set TV channel, pause TV
Turn on/off lights & set dim level
Set thermostat temperature
Set timers while cooking
Play music

The first three items required that I have smart home features set up, which I already did. Being able to access them by voice is very convenient.
mrc

Post by mrc »

bluebolt wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:02 pm
In no particular order:
Turn on/off TV/receiver, set TV channel, pause TV
Turn on/off lights & set dim level
Set thermostat temperature
Set timers while cooking
Play music

The first three items required that I have smart home features set up, which I already did. Being able to access them by voice is very convenient.
And now for the handheld remote, or phone app to turn the echo on and off ...
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

catdude wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:02 pm
+1

The only thing I used my Echo for was listening to internet radio. Plus one of my cats was in the habit of rubbing up against it and knocking it over. So I unplugged it and stuck it in the closet. I've replaced it with an old Logitech Squeezebox Boom -- it works just as well for listening to 'net radio.
If a Squeezebox Boom works only "just as well" as the Echo, something is very wrong. The Boom doesn't have voice control, but the quality of the sound puts the Echo to shame. And the Echo is much cheaper than old Booms on eBay (or at least were the last time I looked) and is far more versatile.

We have a Boom and an Echo in the same area (kitchen/small open den). We/I listen to the Boom when I am in the area; when it is just my wife, she uses the Echo. If we had to pick one and only one to keep, I would choose the Boom and my wife would choose the Echo. Different strokes for different folks.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

Small items I no longer like and need I simply put at the curb with a 'FREE" sign on it : a Mantis mini cultivator/ tiller, small brush chipper, vacuum for the leaves in my little pond. Recently I bought a small shower to use after mowing my 1/2 acre lawn on a hot day to give me a needed cool-off, found out that simply using a garden hose on me is as good and less trouble.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

Uncle Pennybags wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:58 am
Chadnudj wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:55 pm A rental property.
Not me but my brother went that rout. He had a professional dead beat tenant who wouldn't pay and it took eight months to evict her. She knew every trick in the book to stay. Owning one property is like owning one stock.
My friend's in law is going through this. 4 unit apt and leased one to a real estate agent. Thinking he was safe but nope. He was a professional as well. Now he is counter suing the landlord for racial discrimination but offering to drop if he let him walk free and no report to credit agencies.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

AllieTB1323 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:38 pm Our trailer trailer. It is now on consignment at a local dealer. Live and learn.
Do you mean Travel Trailer?
Attempted new signature...
AlwaysBeClimbing

Post by AlwaysBeClimbing »

A boat. It was 30+ years ago, and it still makes me wince to think about it. The biggest and whitest elephant of them all.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

My huge treadmill that takes up too much space in my bedroom
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

barnaclebob wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:23 am
Mrs.Feeley wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:22 am Regrets:
Various canning tools and supplies
We love canning and have two different sized pressure canners. What did you get that you regret? Any time we make stew, gumbo, or soup we make a much larger batch and then can 2 to 4 quarts of leftovers in the small pressure canner. A lot of people make canning into a huge day long event but really many things can be done in just an hour or two. The 200lbs of tomatoes we have on order will be a full day or more this weekend...
For my first canning attempt I cold-canned cucumber slices. It was a disaster. Ended up with 30-some jars of inedible green stuff. They sure looked pretty though and for a while I used them as decorations. :D In the end I decided to walk away. The jars went fast on the local FreeCycle. Other implements went to more ambitious friends and relatives.

These days I do a lot of freezing. The chest freezer was one of the best things we ever bought.