Name something you had to have and now you regret purchasing it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
The Wizard

Re: Name something you had to have and now you regret purchasing it?

Post by The Wizard »

runner3081 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:33 pm
WhyNotUs wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:31 pm Not much a regret guy but there was that hot tub...
Never did figure out maintenance
Right? I have the pool down, but the hot tub is a whole different beast.
Got out of the hot tub 30 minutes ago.
Best hot tub regimen is bleach plus pH adjustment...
Attempted new signature...
student

Post by student »

Several articles of clothing as well as several cooking devices.
core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio »

Sony sound bar with subwoofer CT 150.Used for a year and packed it for 2 years so far.
Kids kitchen gate. My son kicks it out in few days after we installed.
So we packed it back to box.
Allocation : 80/20 (90% TSM, 10% on ARKK,XBI,XLK/individual stocks and 20% TBM) | | Need to learn fishing sooner
tangy
Location: a lively twirling planet located 93,000,000 miles from the Sun

Post by tangy »

Front-load clothes washer: too much bending and socks like to sit in the rubber seal that fills with water. Then I have to wring them out so they can go in the dryer.

When done washing, I have to sop up the water that sits in the seal so mold doesn't form and then keep the door open at all times so it doesn't smell weird. In general, it doesn't seem to clean as well. Other than that, I love it. :D
Who is John Galt ?
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

Kindle. I had been using the Kindle app on my tab for years, and thought the real thing would be an improvement.

Wrong. The newest Kindle is tetchy and over featured, much less easy and intuitive than the 2012 app. What a pain it is to use.

And now I'm on the Kindle Unlimited list and I can't get it unsubscribed. No, Amazon, you have no freaking idea what I'd like to read next, despite my demographic.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

There is nothing we have to have, so I failed the first requirement.

Nonetheless, we did get a good deal on a elliptical after our first child was born. I used it maybe 10 times, my wife maybe 4. It just takes up space now.

Exercise outside of sports is just not something I do well.

JT
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Double tap.
BHUser27

Post by BHUser27 »

65" top-of-line Panasonic Plasma flat-screen TV.
Last of its kind - bought at peak price.
It is in the basement "home theater" and never gets used.
I could buy 3 or 4 larger and 'just-as-satisfyng' TVs today for the price I paid
Just *had* to have *the best*.
Tip: there are pros and cons to reading AVS Forum before buying a TV :oops:

PS: Also - any piece of exercise equipment we've ever purchased.
FlyOverState

Post by FlyOverState »

Pretty much every beer that had any hint of chocolate or coffee flavor.
Thanks, | John | | FlyOverState
Birdie55

Post by Birdie55 »

barnaclebob wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:46 pm Various garden tilling tools. Nothing works better than a hoe for our garden. A claw/weasel might work but then i risk having 3 useless tilling tools.
Try using a spading fork to dig your garden area. I fertilize, dig it in with the spading fork and them level the soil using the back of a rake. Works great.
verbose

Post by verbose »

Clothes that seemed to fit in the store but that I can't wear for more than 10 minutes without agony: mostly bras and shoes.
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

A franchise business (because they all makes boatloads of money and easy to run, right? :oops: ) Few years later it was burn down as part of a large commercial building fire, walked away with only a 15% lost. Dodged a bullet.
alec

Post by alec »

$350 golf driver 15 years ago. I've played 10 times since then.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" - Upton Sinclair
Gill

Post by Gill »

A house I bought in 2007. Moved out in a year and sold a year after that at a loss of $170,000. Still wonder what I was thinking.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

rav2fi wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:28 pm XBox One. It's now a glorified Netflix streaming device and not even a good one at that.
I had never even owned a TV let alone a video game system in my entire adult life (I am 36). Last year my wife and I bought a nice TV, soundbar, and I decided to scratch my car itch (I am a big car nut, but will never justify buying a "fun" car) with car video games...I've literally turned it on 3x in a year and not a single time in about 9-months. Hey, it's a decent blue-ray player and we actually didn't have one.

Right now my wife is trying to talk me into a new fancy $1K mattress (because all her friends have new mattresses that "changed their lives"), even though there is nothing wrong with our current one. I also introduced her to cycling a few years ago and bought us a pair of pretty basic $1k cyclocross bikes to tow the kids around town and just have family time. We use them a ton and it was a great purchase, but she's done two centuries this summer with friends and all the sudden she wants a fairly serious $3k road rig like they have (whom she is faster than on her cyclocross bike with road tires), and she is trying to talk me into doing it with her (I am a former competitive triathlete/cyclist who had a few $5k+ road and tri rigs). I know both of those purchasing decisions would result in major regret, but she'll probably win one of them (the mattress).
Traveller

Post by Traveller »

The last 3 or 4 drinks that night last year in Nashville. Bad. Very, very bad.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

curmudgeon wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:59 pm A large deluxe BBQ from Costco. It was all stainless, and while the outside held up very well, after several years the burners started to fail and because it had been a special one-off production run for Costco, I couldn't get replacement parts.
Can't you return it to Costco, then ?
badbreath

Post by badbreath »

My wife

I'm just kidding
“While money can’t buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” Groucho Marx
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

dia wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:48 pm Front-load clothes washer: too much bending and socks like to sit in the rubber seal that fills with water. Then I have to wring them out so they can go in the dryer.

When done washing, I have to sop up the water that sits in the seal so mold doesn't form and then keep the door open at all times so it doesn't smell weird. In general, it doesn't seem to clean as well. Other than that, I love it. :D
Not sure what brand you have, but on my Whirlpool, there is an option that will keep turning every 5 minutes for up to 8 hours after the wash is down, just to prevent this kind of smell issue with remaining water. Can't remember the name of that option right now, but I always use it.

If socks are going into the rubber seal, you may be overfilling your washer, or it may not be level.
43andcounting

Post by 43andcounting »

The last one - Google Home. The novelty disappeared soon, the utility never appeared.

Recurring - cookies, pastries, and other irresistible food that regret buying the minute after eating few.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:21 pm Right now my wife is trying to talk me into a new fancy $1K mattress (because all her friends have new mattresses that "changed their lives"), even though there is nothing wrong with our current one. .....
......I know both of those purchasing decisions would result in major regret, but she'll probably win one of them (the mattress).
My wife just bought a new $1K king mattress, it's a Leesa, she actually got it on sale for $900. I thought our old king was still okay, it was seven years old. But I remembered the saying, "happy wife, happy life".

I wouldn't say it's changed my life but it is more comfortable. My wife loves it. We needed a new platform for it too, another $125. The old one's going to the Salvation Army. It's too good for the curb.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

WhyNotUs wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:31 pm Not much a regret guy but there was that hot tub...
Never did figure out maintenance
Love my hot tub, have been using it twice daily this summer.
It's really not that difficult . After the initial few days after fill up to stabilize things (alkalinity, pH, chlorine), it's 0.5oz to 1oz of dichlor per day (depending on whether I used it that day or not) on my 380 gallon hot tub. I use 1 teaspoon of monopersulfate most days also.
And 1-2 teaspoons of ph down / ph up as needed.
You can use liquid bleach instead of dichlor, but it will increase your calcium hardness, and you will also need to use much more of it.
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

Ebike. I'm not lazy enough or in that much of a hurry to use it. Once someone finally buys it off Craigslist tho we'll be down to two bikes and one car for the two of us
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

madbrain wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:32 pm
dia wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:48 pm Front-load clothes washer: too much bending and socks like to sit in the rubber seal that fills with water. Then I have to wring them out so they can go in the dryer.

Not sure what brand you have, but on my Whirlpool, there is an option that will keep turning every 5 minutes for up to 8 hours after the wash is down, just to prevent this kind of smell issue with remaining water. Can't remember the name of that option right now, but I always use it.

If socks are going into the rubber seal, you may be overfilling your washer, or it may not be level.
Not sure about dia's front loader, but we can't really adjust the water level. It seems to adjust itself by load (weight?).
And it seems there is such a tiny amount of water. Main concern is that there isn't enough to do a real rinse, so we always add "extra rinse".
And add about 1/10th thimble of detergent (Tide Free).
Repair guy (when it just stopped) said that was all "normal".
Everything seems to get clean.

But for dia... is that rubber seal tight enough? I can't figure how a sock could get into ours.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
EddyB

Post by EddyB »

bloom2708 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:37 pm I regret when I have something I really like and use and then buy a second one or a third one. That never works.

I have mountain bike I like and use it a lot. I then decide I should have a road bike because I should go road biking more. I end up using both bikes less and having "bike guilt" because I am not using one or the other as much as I should be.

More is not more. More is less in many cases.
More is more until it becomes less. I learned that from racing bikes.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Nicolas wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:38 pm
stoptothink wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:21 pm Right now my wife is trying to talk me into a new fancy $1K mattress (because all her friends have new mattresses that "changed their lives"), even though there is nothing wrong with our current one. .....
......I know both of those purchasing decisions would result in major regret, but she'll probably win one of them (the mattress).
My wife just bought a new $1K king mattress, it's a Leesa, she actually got it on sale for $900. I thought our old king was still okay, it was seven years old. But I remembered the saying, "happy wife, happy life".

I wouldn't say it's changed my life but it is more comfortable. My wife loves it. We needed a new platform for it too, another $125. The old one's going to the Salvation Army. It's too good for the curb.
My wife would have never even considered it except several of her friends recently got them; that groupthink consumerism drives me insane. We have zero issues with our current mattress and even though this one has a lifetime warranty I know she'll be doing the same thing in 2yrs when the next popular mattress comes out and all her friends buy one and that one "changes their life" again. More than likely I'll lose this one, but I think I can make her compromise, like get her to agree that it is her Christmas gift.

She already got a new car earlier this year which was absolutely not a need, she needs to cut me some slack.
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

madbrain wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:29 pm
curmudgeon wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:59 pm A large deluxe BBQ from Costco. It was all stainless, and while the outside held up very well, after several years the burners started to fail and because it had been a special one-off production run for Costco, I couldn't get replacement parts.
I suppose I could have, but it's not my habit to return things there when I have gotten several years of heavy use out of them.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

I had to think long and hard to come up with something to fit this question. I'm very lucky to have everything I want and to want everything that I have. Then I thought of the relatively expensive Omega Juicer we own sitting in its box up in the attic.
Last edited by jabberwockOG on Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

curmudgeon wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:08 pm
I suppose I could have, but it's not my habit to return things there when I have gotten several years of heavy use out of them.
If I truly could not get parts for it I'd return it to Costco in a heartbeat.
3dream3

Post by 3dream3 »

rav2fi wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:28 pm XBox One. It's now a glorified Netflix streaming device and not even a good one at that.
Same here. Bought an Xbox One S during black friday thinking that me and the kids would use it... ends up, not so much.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

3dream3 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:14 pm
Same here. Bought an Xbox One S during black friday thinking that me and the kids would use it... ends up, not so much.
Add me to the list, though a few years back. I had fond memories and could "feel" how fun playing Madden was in college. Bought an Xbox 360 and the new Madden. Played it one weekend and never touched it again. Fortunately, it was a Black Friday sale, so I got my money back out of the unit.
toofache32

Post by toofache32 »

badbreath wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:30 pm My wife

I'm just kidding
You beat me to it!
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

curmudgeon wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:08 pm
IMO, this is one of those cases where you would be entirely justified doing so. That would be one thing if you had to pay for parts and repair, but not being able to fix it at all is not right. Costco should make it right, and I'm sure they will if you try.
Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags »

A car back in 1979 for $10,000 I really didn't need and was a lemon. If I invested in the S&P 500 it would be worth $180,000. There are scores of smaller things but that one stands out.
toofache32

Post by toofache32 »

Crimsontide wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:53 pm My last bass boat...
Blasphemy!! I've got a 2017 Ranger Z21 with Evinrude 250 G2 sitting outside right now. Had it 7 months and already have 80 hours on the motor. Dual power poles, three 12-inch Humminbird Helix graphs, MK Ulterra trolling motor, 3 sonar transducers. Saving money to upgrade to 3 Lithium batteries ($6000 ouch!). It's a mini-vacation for me every time I go out.
doglaws

Post by doglaws »

Telescope - Used it a couple of times and now it sits in a box.
health teacher

Post by health teacher »

My kegerator.

I got it for $100 on CL with new lines, 5lb C02, regulator, etc. I've thought about selling a few times, but the wife said once it's gone, it ain't coming back.

It sits so perfectly in its spot, but then I realize how much less alcohol I'd drink if I didn't have it and I regret the purchase, especially since each 1/6th barrel is about 50 beers. I'd definitely be 10 lbs lighter without beer, but darn it I love it. The thought of unwinding on a cool September night on the back deck listening to some tunes enjoying a top notch Oktoberfest or 2 straight from the tap makes me happy.

And that's why I'll never sell :)
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

Ikea furniture. Absolute POS at every level. Their kitchen organizers or pot hangers are fine but not their furniture.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
Chadnudj

Post by Chadnudj »

A rental property.

Look, it may end up working out in the end....but I think of the time/money spent on the property (and the lost earnings on that time/money invested elsewhere) and the pain in the neck tenants (although my current tenants are wonderful), and all I can say is that once these tenants move out/decide to leave (and they're free to stay there as long as they can pay the rent and help maintain the property), that property is going on the market to be sold. I'm not cut out for rental management -- maybe with a property manager, but definitely not on a do-it-yourself basis.
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

I'm surprised that no one says New years resolution exercise machines. :twisted:
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

harrychan wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:39 pm Ikea furniture. Absolute POS at every level. Their kitchen organizers or pot hangers are fine but not their furniture.
Interesting. I have some Ikea Besta book shelves that we designed to be floor to ceiling, with glossy black glass doors and drawer finish that match with our 9ft2 grand piano in the same room. I would say they are very high quality and great looking. Not all of the furniture at Ikea is of equal quality.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

House with a pool.
Since I stink at maintaining it and turned the water green we hire out for $170/month ($2040/yr) plus incidentals ranging from $50-$200/yr. In the last 5 years we had to re-line the pool and replaced the motor costing about $10k plus the extra electricity I figure in these 5 years we are spending about $5k/yr on this pool. To keep this house in retirement we need to have an extra $125k for a 4% withdrawal of $5k/yr. If we were smart we would just take the loss on the house and move into something smaller. But we are dumbasses.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

1.5 carat diamond solitaire earrings.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

barnaclebob wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:46 pm Various garden tilling tools. Nothing works better than a hoe for our garden. A claw/weasel might work but then i risk having 3 useless tilling tools.
I sympathize. We bought one of those claw-like tools that you jam into the ground then twist to loosen the ground. A pitchfork is much easier to use.

Regrets:
Various canning tools and supplies
An electrostatic furnace filter with several years' worth of filter pads -- The filter burned out three furnace motors before we got wise.
Rowco Asian dumpling press
Hot air popcorn popper -- yuk
Leaf blower -- couldn't stand it and gave it to a relative
Billionaire

Post by Billionaire »

bloom2708 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:37 pm I regret when I have something I really like and use and then buy a second one or a third one. That never works.

I have mountain bike I like and use it a lot. I then decide I should have a road bike because I should go road biking more. I end up using both bikes less and having "bike guilt" because I am not using one or the other as much as I should be.

More is not more. More is less in many cases.
I now own three bikes - road, fitness (hybrid) and mountain. The mountain bike is now my rainy weather bike and rarely gets used, but I like having it around. Based on how much time I have and my work schedule I utilize the other two as needed. I enjoy having the options. Variety is the spice of life.
TSquare

Post by TSquare »

2006 Ford Mustang, Vista Blue.
dekecarver

Post by dekecarver »

EnjoyIt wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:25 pm House with a pool.
Since I stink at maintaining it and turned the water green we hire out for $170/month ($2040/yr) plus incidentals ranging from $50-$200/yr. In the last 5 years we had to re-line the pool and replaced the motor costing about $10k plus the extra electricity I figure in these 5 years we are spending about $5k/yr on this pool. To keep this house in retirement we need to have an extra $125k for a 4% withdrawal of $5k/yr. If we were smart we would just take the loss on the house and move into something smaller. But we are dumbasses.
Hilarious!!!! I always said if I had a pool there would be one day that I'd fill it in with dirt.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Steam shower - used once or twice

Nikon D4 - great camera, but once I was no longer taking photos inside ice rinks, not appreciably better than my D700.

Contra to above: my elliptical machine might be a life saver. I can walk/hike okay, but for me to really get my heart rate up where it needs to be, my joints make the elliptical the machine of choice. I use it 4-5 times a week, 40 minutes or so each time. I don't enjoy swimming, or I'd do that.

My high-end sound system, projector and motorized perforated screen. Sold and gave away everything, and don't miss it very often.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
CodeMaster

Post by CodeMaster »

2 KFC chicken burger and small McDoanlds french fries

:oops: :-(
Topic Author
harrington

Post by harrington »

Here's a future regret http://wagonmaster.com