Help! I'm having computer problems using KeePass.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bb201

Help! I'm having computer problems using KeePass.

Post by bb201 »

I recently deleted Firefox from my computer and started to use the Edge Browser. Many sites would not accept the password from KeePass. I just reinstalled Firefox. Now it will not let me use KeePass. I just went to Fidelity.com. When I use KeyPass, I get the following message: "You may see this error message if you're using a password manager application or allowing your web browser to remember your password. We apologize for the inconvenience. To log in, please enter your username and password manually". All of my passwords are way to long and complicated to type them in. Any ideas?
jebmke

Re: Help! I'm having computer problems using KeePass.

Post by jebmke »

Will they cut and paste? That is what I do. Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V

btw - I have not been impressed with the Edge browser. You might try Chrome.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Topic Author
bb201

Post by bb201 »

No. I also tried cut and paste.
Topic Author
bb201

Post by bb201 »

I have the same problem with Firefox and Edge. I tried to copy and paste my username into the Fidelity user name field. It just copied a bunch of garbage into the field.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Have you added the KeeFox add-on to Firefox, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/keefox/ ?

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Topic Author
bb201

Post by bb201 »

No. I'll try that right now. Thank you.
Topic Author
bb201

Post by bb201 »

I am sorry but that is a bit too complicated for me. I do not think I want to use Firefox anymore. However, I have just about the same problem with the Edge browser. If I try to drag and drop the password which I always used to do with Firefox, Edge will not let me. If I copy and paste, it gives me garbage. I think this has something to do with settings like making this browser your default browser. I cannot even find that setting now to see what it is set to. I'm very frustrated.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

I don't use Firefox routinely to log into Fidelity, but I just tried it with Keepass and experienced no issues at all using auto-login or by copying and pasting into the username & login fields.

I am sorry that I have no suggestions on how to solve your issues, but it obviously does not affect all Keepass/Firefox users accessing Fidelity.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:49 pm I don't use Firefox routinely to log into Fidelity, but I just tried it with Keepass and experienced no issues at all using auto-login or by copying and pasting into the username & login fields.

I am sorry that I have no suggestions on how to solve your issues, but it obviously does not affect all Keepass/Firefox users accessing Fidelity.
I just used the copy+paste method with Vanguard and Firefox so that works. I am using the KeePass portable version, not the installed software.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Xpe

Post by Xpe »

You could try something like:
https://sites.google.com/site/pastetextlike/

It has an option to paste by "Mimic Typing" which might avoid the copy/paste block.

I've never tried pastetextlike, it was just the first result when I searched, but it seems like something like this would work.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

bb201 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:50 pm I just reinstalled Firefox. Now it will not let me use KeePass.
Copy the KeePass database file to somewhere safe (just in case), uninstall KeePass and re-install it (upgrade to the newest version if you haven't). Run KeePass.

Open the database from within KeePass and try your ministrations with Firefox again.

Disclaimer: I use Chrome but doing the above solved some issues I was having on some websites.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Why would fidelity not want you to use a password manager? Seems counter intuitive, as they want you to use a strong password. I understand having the browser remember it would be a bad idea, perhaps it is because they can't tell the difference between the two methods? I use KEEpass with fepidelity on the web and their app with no problem.