Has anyone ever experienced automatic collision notification in a car accident?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
CULater

Has anyone ever experienced automatic collision notification in a car accident?

Post by CULater » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:37 pm

New car I bought comes with a smartphone app that is supposed to notify someone automatically in the event of an accident when the vehicle occupants are unable to respond. This looks like a fairly common thing these days with various auto brands. Just wondering if anyone has ever experienced this happening, how it worked and if it was effective. I assume that you must have your smartphone on and bluetooth paired with the vehicle's system for it to work, yes?
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

lazydavid

Re: Has anyone ever experienced automatic collision notification in a car accident?

Post by lazydavid » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:45 am

Most cars that would have a feature like this would have their own cellular connection, rather than relying on yours--which might not even be present after an accident. This is how GM's OnStar, BMW Assist, and a host of other systems work.

ResearchMed

Re: Has anyone ever experienced automatic collision notification in a car accident?

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:28 am

For cars that do not come with an "On Star" kind of device/connection all ready to go, are the any after market add ons, or even just something one could rent for a long road trip (for a new and somewhat remote area, vs. mostly city driving where there are lots of other drivers around to notice a crash or such)?

I hadn't heard of a smartphone "app for that". What is it called?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

dpm321

Post by dpm321 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:55 pm

I exercised mine in my BMW when someone ran a light in front of me. The car uses its own cell phone, not yours. Someone was talking to me while I was still stunned. They determine your condition from conversation, or lack thereof. They called police and fire for me giving them location via car GPS (also built in if for some reason you didn't take the GPS option.) It's a great feature in the unfortunate event you need it.

sambb

Post by sambb » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:05 pm

dpm321 wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:55 pm
I exercised mine in my BMW when someone ran a light in front of me. The car uses its own cell phone, not yours. Someone was talking to me while I was still stunned. They determine your condition from conversation, or lack thereof. They called police and fire for me giving them location via car GPS (also built in if for some reason you didn't take the GPS option.) It's a great feature in the unfortunate event you need it.
wow, great feature for that car!

CULater

Post by CULater » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:25 pm

I was referring to Honda's system called HondaLink. Acura has the same system called AcuraLink. The car does not have it's own wireless connection so it works through your smartphone. You download the HondaLink or AcuraLink app to your phone and your phone is paired with the vehicle on bluetooth. You can also connect your smartphone via a USB port. The app does a number of things, one of them being emergency notification in the event of an accident. Same idea as other systems that work through the vehicle's wireless connection (which you pay for) but uses your smartphone wireless connection instead. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever actually experienced an accident with this kind of system and what happened.
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

Geneyus

Post by Geneyus » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:52 pm

I'm a police officer, and I've heard several of those crash notifications go out over the radio. The dispatcher tells us there's a vehicle with a crash notification in the general area of an intersection. Some give us the make and model of the vehicle, some don't. It's usually followed by someone else calling it in. If anything, the car system gets us moving that direction a little bit sooner. I think it would be invaluable in a rural area where others might not find you for a while. Inside the city, people call in crashes pretty quickly.

Dendritic Tree

Post by Dendritic Tree » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:13 am

I had a Mercedes that called 911 for me when I got rear-ended and totaled. I was still dazed and confused, my kids were screaming, I had no idea what was going on. But it was extremely helpful for my car to call for me. It didn't use my cell phone. I didn't even know it had that feature. The police and fire were there in probably 3 minutes.

neurosphere

Post by neurosphere » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:03 am

Dendritic Tree wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:13 am
I had a Mercedes that called 911 for me when I got rear-ended and totaled. I was still dazed and confused, my kids were screaming, I had no idea what was going on. But it was extremely helpful for my car to call for me. It didn't use my cell phone. I didn't even know it had that feature. The police and fire were there in probably 3 minutes.
This example is a firm endorsement for this type of feature. Imagine a two-car collision in some out of the way place where both drivers were left unresponsive, +/- young children.

I suspect that one day there will be front and rear cameras which will transmit the video of the crash to first responders, so they know what they are dealing with even before they get there.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:56 am

neurosphere wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:03 am

<snip>

I suspect that one day there will be front and rear cameras which will transmit the video of the crash to first responders, so they know what they are dealing with even before they get there.
Did you see the dashcam video from a Tesla (we are not owners; no vested interest) where the auto-driving started slowing down instants BEFORE a crash occurred in front of the car?
Actually, it was the car in front of the car in front that first crashed.

Apparently the software calculated that nothing could be stopped in time, --> in the front cars...!?

So maybe someday the responders will just be waiting for you when the crash happens :D

RM

neurosphere

Post by neurosphere » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:03 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:56 am
neurosphere wrote:

<snip>

Did you see the dashcam video from a Tesla (we are not owners; no vested interest) where the auto-driving started slowing down instants BEFORE a crash occurred in front of the car?

Apparently the software calculated that nothing could be stopped in time, --> in the front cars...!?

So maybe someday the responders will just be waiting for you when the crash happens :D

RM
No, but I heard about the video. Yesterday was my first ride in a Tesla (Model X? The SUV-like one). What an interesting car! It's very easy to imagine networked cars where an accident or sudden braking situation in one car results in braking/slowing of all the cars behind it (in the cases where it is not possible for each car to sense the situation ahead directly). I predict that in the next 50 years, kids will be amazed that humans EVER controlled their own cars. "But grandpa, how is it that thousands of people didn't get into accidents every day from driving mistakes?" "Actually my boy, that's exactly what happened..." :)

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:11 am

neurosphere wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:03 am
ResearchMed wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:56 am
neurosphere wrote:

<snip>

RM
No, but I heard about the video. Yesterday was my first ride in a Tesla (Model X? The SUV-like one). What an interesting car! It's very easy to imagine networked cars where an accident or sudden braking situation in one car results in braking/slowing of all the cars behind it (in the cases where it is not possible for each car to sense the situation ahead directly). I predict that in the next 50 years, kids will be amazed that humans EVER controlled their own cars. "But grandpa, how is it that thousands of people didn't get into accidents every day from driving mistakes?" "Actually my boy, that's exactly what happened..." :)
https://www.inc.com/justin-bariso/watch ... ppens.html

I guess I had it slightly wrong. The radar sensed the accident actually happening ahead, but out of the sight of the Tesla driver.
The warning sound goes off before anything "off" can be seen.

But I have no doubt it will be predictive in the future, if it isn't now.

RM