iPhone tempered glass...$6 vs $50?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
guitarguy

iPhone tempered glass...$6 vs $50?

Post by guitarguy »

Anyone buy these tempered glass screen protectors for their iPhones?

Wife just got a new iPhone 7.

They have tempered glass screen protectors at the at&t store for $40-50. These have a warranty/guarantee against screen cracks.

They have tempered glass screen protectors on amazon for $7. No warranty/guarantee.

What gives here? Is this a "you get what you pay for" situation? Should we go expensive or cheap?

What is the difference in performance between these? Or is it just the warranty guarantee?

Is there a "something to look for" when buying?

:sharebeer
bloom2708

Re: iPhone tempered glass...$6 vs $50?

Post by bloom2708 »

I buy the tempered glass screen protectors in 3 or 5 packs for around $10 on eBay.

I put them on the iPhones for the kids. They work. They sometimes crack, but they are supposed to instead of the screen.

I do not think it is worth the extra $.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

guitarguy wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:18 am Anyone buy these tempered glass screen protectors for their iPhones?

Wife just got a new iPhone 7.

They have tempered glass screen protectors at the at&t store for $40-50. These have a warranty/guarantee against screen cracks.

They have tempered glass screen protectors on amazon for $7. No warranty/guarantee.

What gives here? Is this a "you get what you pay for" situation? Should we go expensive or cheap?

What is the difference in performance between these? Or is it just the warranty guarantee?

Is there a "something to look for" when buying?

:sharebeer
I'd take the bet that the $7 protector doesn't break 7x as often as the $50 one.
student

Post by student »

I do not use it. I think it may be useful for teenagers who maybe less careful with their phones. It may be a pain to put it on so that no bubbles are there. I would think a $6 one is sufficient.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

On the side I do phone repair. I buy these protectors in bulk for $1.50 each and sell them for $15 alongside a screen repair. As far as I know there is no difference in any of them.
ff4930

Post by ff4930 »

I brought the $3 from eBay and it does the same as the expensive ones. I've had my phone saved multiple times because the tempered glass took the damage. Well worth it but $3 ones is enough.
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

guitarguy wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:18 am What gives here? Is this a "you get what you pay for" situation? Should we go expensive or cheap?

One word - overhead!

I used to be in that business and the chargers sold in store for $35 cost the company around $3. The ones sold online for $10 were pretty much the same, however the seller has little overhead.
Topic Author
guitarguy

Post by guitarguy »

Thanks all. My hypothesis seems to be correct.

We'll order a 3 pack from Amazon for $7 or whatever.

:beer
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

No, not worth it. IMO, even $6 is high for the tempered glass. I buy them for much less on eBay. Do they install it for you? And will they redo it if there's a speck of dust caught under the glass? I've yet to install one without several such imperfections. That might be worth $6 if they can guarantee a perfectly dustfree cover.

How much is screen protection insurance alone? Would you buy that with free tempered glass screen? If the wholesale cost of cracked screen replacement was $100, they're counting on less than 50% broken screens, which seems like a fair bet. They can sell snake oil coating with same warranty.

https://www.squaretrade.com/1051b/iphone-warranty
[didn't readily find a good comparison of warranty with and without cracked screen protection to see the asking prices for this type of insurance]
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

inbox788 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:44 am If the wholesale cost of cracked screen replacement was $100, they're counting on less than 50% broken screens, which seems like a fair bet. They can sell snake oil coating with same warranty.

https://www.squaretrade.com/1051b/iphone-warranty
[didn't readily find a good comparison of warranty with and without cracked screen protection to see the asking prices for this type of insurance]
I buy replacement screens for $15-40 depending on phone model.
gasdoc

Post by gasdoc »

I bought the Verizon version of the glass screen protector on a friend's recommendation, and surprisingly, did find that it worked better (easier to work on the screen) then anything I have ever purchased on my own from Amazon. I bought "The Defender" from Amazon and removed the screen protector that came with it before the Verizon rep put on the Verizon protector. I use my phone at work about every 10 minutes all day long, and it sometimes takes a beating, so the extra cost, if it helped, was worth it for me. I am usually more of a "do-it-yourselfer."

gasdoc
core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio »

i bought this back on 2014 for 10 bucks with lifetime replacement

https://www.amazon.com/Tech-Armor-iPhon ... +protector

Screen protector got damaged few weeks before and asked for replacement. they send it for free with free shipping.
$50 is too much.. shop around
Allocation : 80/20 (90% TSM, 10% on ARKK,XBI,XLK/individual stocks and 20% TBM) | | Need to learn fishing sooner
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

gasdoc wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:50 am I bought the Verizon version of the glass screen protector on a friend's recommendation, and surprisingly, did find that it worked better (easier to work on the screen) then anything I have ever purchased on my own from Amazon. I bought "The Defender" from Amazon and removed the screen protector that came with it before the Verizon rep put on the Verizon protector. I use my phone at work about every 10 minutes all day long, and it sometimes takes a beating, so the extra cost, if it helped, was worth it for me. I am usually more of a "do-it-yourselfer."

gasdoc
Interesting - thanks for posting, gasdoc. Now, I feel better about dropping $60 or whatever for SO's screen protector and phone case.

SO got an iPhone (at my urging) about a year ago. To keep life simple, we paid up for accessories at the Verizon store. The last thing either of us wanted was for his screen to crack 10 minutes after purchase. Also, I figured / hoped that the very helpful and patient Verizon rep would get a commission or something for his trouble (me :wink: , not SO).

I took the BH approach and just ordered a case and screen protector on Amazon, for a fraction of the cost. As an aside, my glass shield actually developed a hairline crack. So far I haven't bothered to replace it, even though I have a spare shield. The side of the shield got nicked, probably from keys or something in my bag that also holds my phone. I think that nick was the basis for the hairline crack.

I am curious now and will try to compare SO's screen to mine.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

As phone screens have improved, there is a lot of controversy as to the usefulness of screen protectors. Google "screen protector usefulness" and you will see what I mean. I definitely think screen protectors of any kind...especially more protective ones....detract from your experience with your phone. I use one of those silicone cases that covers the edges and back- nothing for the screen.

I stopped using them about 4 or 5 years ago.

Once I broke the screen of an android phone. I purchased a replacement screen and a screen repair kit on ebay for less than $10. I did the replacement myself using a hair dryer to soften the glue holding the old screen to the phone and pried it off with a guitar pick and the tools included in the kit (there are instructions all over the internet re: procedure). It didn't take more than 10 minutes or so. It was easy and the results were perfect.

I can't speak for how easy this is to do with iPhones....you might google it.
Last edited by protagonist on Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

I took a different approach. A 3-pack of elastomeric screen protectors for my Samsung Galaxy cost $13 at Verizon. I put one on about 6 months ago, and it's still fine. I did get a couple of miniscule bubbles, but no big deal. The phone lives in my side pants pocket. No case.
Afty

Post by Afty »

Phone accessories at a phone store are generally a ripoff. You will find much better deals on Amazon, and usually higher quality as well.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Phone store accessory prices are for suckers. But even on Amazon or ebay there are price variations based on supposed quality of the screen protector. My guess is fairly educated guess is that paying a little more than $2 bulk/generic protectors is worth it just in terms of product/material quality, packaging, and installation ease but paying more than anything more than $7-8 per screen protector is likely a waste of money.
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

Don't solely rely on price for any product. Not sure if there are reviews for the specific screen protectors you're considering but there are reviews for a lot of options out there. I've found GD Smith to offer a good price/performance ratio for me (YMMV) but they're certainly not the only option out there worth considering.
protagonist wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:15 pm As phone screens have improved, there is a lot of controversy as to the usefulness of screen protectors. Google "screen protector usefulness" and you will see what I mean. I definitely think screen protectors of any kind...especially more protective ones....detract from your experience with your phone.
I've never had a screen protector detract from my experience but I am very careful in selecting my screen protectors. A screen protector isn't going to guarantee that a screen never gets damaged but it is an added safety precaution and it's up to the individual to determine whether or not it is worthwhile. Modern screens have improved but they're not unscratchable nor unbreakable. Nothing has really changed over the many years, not even the "controversy" over screen protectors. People have been arguing for and against them since they were first offered. It's not really about the device itself but the individual's preferences as it has always been. Same sort of thing as extended warranties, insurance, etc -- not just for smartphones but for any product.