Golf course recommendations in Phoenix area

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Cruiser

Golf course recommendations in Phoenix area

Post by Cruiser » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:52 pm

I'll be on vacation in Peoria for a week, starting this weekend. I'm looking for some recommendations on golf courses in the area. Right now, the two courses on my shortlist are TPC Scottsdale and Arrowhead Country Club.

Bogey golfer here, looking for decent summer rates.

runner3081

Re: Golf course recommendations in Phoenix area

Post by runner3081 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:54 pm

Verde River Golf and Social Club. Granted, it is NE of Phoenix. This is my favorite course in the area. Wonderful view of the entire mountain range.

http://www.golfadvisor.com/courses/2095 ... cial-club/

Also, consider Troon North, Monument Course and Boulders - South Course (North not worth it).

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:39 am

I have played several courses there. The best was Grayhawk in Scottsdale, which at the time (10 years ago) was one of their top courses.

pindevil

Post by pindevil » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:56 am

Get out there early. It's gonna be hot! Plenty of golf courses to choose from. Over 200 in maricopa county.

My favorite municipal course is papago. It should be very reasonably priced right now.

btenny

Post by btenny » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:31 am

Stone Creek, Troon, Papago, orange tree. Tee off at 6-7 AM.
Good luck.

spitty

Post by spitty » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:05 am

My favorite was always Legacy Golf Club but it's a long way from Peoria. Kierland in N Scottsdale has two courses, both pretty wide open and in good condition--a very nice practice facility too. You mentioned TPC--the main course is worth playing and shouldn't be too expensive this time of year. They also have a second course on site which is nice and cheaper. Saw Tom Lehman and Hale Irwin last time I was there. Golfnow.com is great to see courses in your area of interest and usually offer reasonable rates. Arrowhead is close to where you'll be but was crowded when I played and condition just "OK".

myisland

Post by myisland » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:42 am

I'd consider passing on TPC, unless you will be playing it just before or after the PGA tournament there when it is in tip-top condition. I didn't care much for it. I haven't played Arrowhead.

Most of the highly ranked courses are great - Troon North and We-Ko-Pa especially. Grayhawk is very good. Eagle Mountain is a good cheaper option I like for an easy course. Boulders and Dinosaur Mountain are a couple of fun ones, both very nice. Pass on Talking Stick. Longbow I think is mid-priced and very nicely kept.

Many of those are pretty expensive, but offer great incentives on additional holes if you have the stamina. Also of course much cheaper later in the day. Drink lots of water.

Topic Author
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:44 pm

Thanks for the recommendations. I've added Stonecreek to my list to play, along with TPC Scottsdale and Arrowhead. If I have more time, I'll check out some of the other courses you guys listed. Definitely hitting the course early; latest tee times I'm getting are 7am.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:25 pm

Cruiser wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:44 pm
Thanks for the recommendations. I've added Stonecreek to my list to play, along with TPC Scottsdale and Arrowhead. If I have more time, I'll check out some of the other courses you guys listed. Definitely hitting the course early; latest tee times I'm getting are 7am.
Have played Stonecreek plenty of times. I wouldn't make a point to play there if I didn't have to.

Another affordable and neat course is Rancho Manana.

Topic Author
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:32 pm

For Troon North, the Monument or Pinnacle course? I see one mention of the Monument course.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:50 pm

Cruiser wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:32 pm
For Troon North, the Monument or Pinnacle course? I see one mention of the Monument course.
Monument is the better course, by far. Used to always be nationally ranked.