Coyote Defense

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sco

Re: Coyote Defense

Post by sco » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:50 pm

Here they are considered a predator and can be shot pretty much anytime you would like. Of course, city ordinances don't allow this unless you or yours are being attacked. But out the county there is no issue at all.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:04 pm

For multiple reasons the design of a golf club (responsible for making it great to hit a stationary golf ball) makes it a terrible, virtually useless weapon on any sentient creature larger than a mouse.

Using any kind of item like a pellet gun in a public place that looks like a real gun is just looking for serious trouble. Way better to seek a carry permit, get training and carry a real gun if that is the solution you choose. Just be aware that dogs and coyotes don't recognize a drawn gun until it is fired which is almost always a bad day in the making for the person pulling the trigger.

Better solutions -
A quality 42+ inch tactical baton is a good and immediately recognizable weapon for fending off and fighting both 2 and 4 legged creatures.

Another less intimidating looking and likely easier to learn and use option (also immediately recognizable by typical coyote) would be a wooden hiking staff / trekker pole

- or something similar in a more technical piece like this -

https://www.rei.com/product/847813/rei- ... aff-single

pezblanco

Post by pezblanco » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:32 am

I've noticed on fishing websites and magazines everyone is worried about bears .... on Bogleheads it seems to be coyotes.

TnGuy

Post by TnGuy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:10 am

"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:20 am

Thanks for that. The park they reference in Hanover Park is about 2 miles from my house--I'm on the border between Schaumburg and Hanover Park. That said, the one(s) I've seen did not look like that, they were instantly recognizable as coyotes. Perhaps ours were driven here by the sick ones... EDIT: Come to think of it, I did see one that looked like the one in the video, dead on the side of the road when I was driving to work last week.

I did get most of the story from my friend, who I ran into while walking our respective dogs about an hour ago. The family runs a daycare, and there were two adults and seven children in the backyard with the dog. The coyote jumped over the fence, bit the dog in the throat, and tried to jump back over the fence with it. But it was a little too heavy, and the dog fell inside the yard while the coyote fell outside. It ran away at that point. The entire incident took less than 10 seconds. They rushed the dog to the vet, but it bled out on the way.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:41 am

Literally ran into it this morning while walking the dog around 8am. It came out from behind some bushes roughly 15 feet from us. I threatened it with my baton, and it slowly sauntered away.

darrvao777

Post by darrvao777 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:06 pm

ddurrett896 wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:07 pm
Suppressed 300 Blackout
I like the way you think 😀

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:34 pm

I have a picture of a coyote standing on top of our 6' backyard wall. They are all over the area where we are in outskirts of Tucson, and are usually quite wary of humans. The one exception was a time we were walking a golf course in Sun City West, Arizona at dusk and there was a large group of coyotes (parents plus 4 or 5 youngsters) and one of them started heading toward us. A loud clap made it go in the other direction.

I did know a person who was nipped by one in a parking lot of a golf course in a more rural location. She had to get rabies shots as that was likely the reason for the bite.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 12-time loser

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:40 pm

There have been a few in the N. Phoenix/N. Scottsdale area lately. Girl got bit by one below a slide at the park.

"5-year-old girl bitten by coyote at Thompson Peak Park"
http://www.12news.com/news/local/valley ... /444464801

Of course, there was also this Bobcat attack.

"Officials: Bobcat that attacked man, dog in Anthem was rabid"
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/loc ... 483420001/

steve roy

Post by steve roy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:50 pm

Coyotes are ubiquitous in the Southern California foothills. I used to carry a golf club when I walked early in the morning, now I just don't go up in the hills until the sun is high. There's a golf course near our house, and packs of coyotes lounge on the greens. Not worried about one or two, but when there's six or seven in a group I watch my step. A coyote posse treed a mountain lion a few years back and golf course workers had to chase them off so the big cat would come down.

Geneyus

Post by Geneyus » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:05 pm

Single coyotes don't go near humans, unless they're rabid. If you don't/can't have a carry permit, I would just carry a knife in the off-chance one did attack. I usually carry a .40 caliber handgun. I've seen plenty of coyotes and bobcats working the night shift, and coyotes have never concerned me. I see them hobbling around subdivisions in the middle of the night, and they can't weigh more than 40 lbs. I've never seen a group of them where I live.

It's also a good practice not to purchase dogs that are prey for local wildlife. :D I have a 100+ lb German Shepherd. I don't want to have to watch my dog around the hawks circling my yard.

Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:10 pm

Dead Man Walking wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:43 pm
Spirit Rider wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:44 pm
denovo wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:48 pm
They are smaller than most big dogs and are afraid of humans. They weigh like 50 lbs
Not anymore. This is the real problem now in suburban and urban areas. Coyotes in these areas have increasingly lost their fear of humans.
Their fear of humans is definitely different in suburban areas. I live in a rural area. It's about 80 yards from my back porch to the wooded area behind my house. A coyote at the edge of the woods will run when I walk onto the porch. My son lives in a suburb. The coyotes in his neighborhood will slowly meander away when you are 20 yards from them unless you make a ruckus. The deer behave similarly.

DMW
May be the difference is that the coyotes know that in rural areas people have guns and will shoot. In surburbia the police will arrest you or worse when you fire a gun. I live in a rural area and the deer will look at me while chewing on the "deer proof" plants and will move slowly if I run after them or yell or scream. Clearly the coyotes have not made an impact on the fawns, who also are not skittish.

Cars kill so many more people and pets than coyotes. Deer kill so many more people than coyotes.

And let's not forget that coyotes do not graze and eat my plants like the deer do.
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

Geneyus

Post by Geneyus » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:17 pm

Wildebeest wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:10 pm
Dead Man Walking wrote:
Spirit Rider wrote:
denovo wrote:
They are smaller than most big dogs and are afraid of humans. They weigh like 50 lbs
Not anymore. This is the real problem now in suburban and urban areas. Coyotes in these areas have increasingly lost their fear of humans.
Their fear of humans is definitely different in suburban areas. I live in a rural area. It's about 80 yards from my back porch to the wooded area behind my house. A coyote at the edge of the woods will run when I walk onto the porch. My son lives in a suburb. The coyotes in his neighborhood will slowly meander away when you are 20 yards from them unless you make a ruckus. The deer behave similarly.

DMW
May be the difference is that the coyotes know that in rural areas people have guns and will shoot. In surburbia the police will arrest you or worse when you fire a gun. I live in a rural area and the deer will look at me while chewing on the "deer proof" plants and will move slowly if I run after them or yell or scream. Clearly the coyotes have not made an impact on the fawns, who also are not skittish.

Cars kill so many more people and pets than coyotes. Deer kill so many more people than coyotes.

And let's not forget that coyotes do not graze and eat my plants like the deer do.
Not necessarily. I am a police officer in a nice suburb. We recently had someone shoot at a dog that was attacking his chickens. We had another case of a man shooting at a burglar as the burglar got into his car at the street (the law protects you in your house, but not when they're outside running away). We didn't even think about charging either person because they didn't shoot towards any other houses or endanger others. If you live in a state that generally frowns on firearms and tries to restrict them as much as possible, I would be worried.

Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:46 pm

I have empathy for the police. I have empathy for people who call the police.

The last time I called the police was when 5 cars of drunken teenagers drove up our 1/2 mile drive way and where revving their engines outside our house. My guess was they were in search of a party and where lost. It was midnight and I decided to confront them wearing my robe. I went out and asked them to come out of their cars and find out what was going on. I stepped in front of the first car since that car could not back up with 4 cars behind it and the car accelerated and narrowly missed me. ( Maybe I should not have worn my robe). The car went through our flower beds and our yard and for weeks the lawn was torn with the tire marks.

I called 911 and all the operator cared about was: Where guns involved? If I had a gun I would have shot the car, because I feared for my life. If I would have shot the car but I am not a great shot. I might have hit a deer.

I rather deal with coyotes than drunken teenagers.
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

fposte

Post by fposte » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:55 pm

Geneyus wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:05 pm
Single coyotes don't go near humans, unless they're rabid.
Or habituated, unfortunately. Always a game-changer in animal behavior.

Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:12 pm

Wildebeest wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:10 pm
Dead Man Walking wrote:
Spirit Rider wrote:
denovo wrote:

DMW

I'm a big fan of coyotes and foxes! They are the best way to control rabbits, field mice, and to some extent ground hogs. Unfortunately, the rabbits ate my wife's flowers before the coyotes killed them. Coyotes will eat deer that have been hit by a car.

Deer Scram deer repellent will keep the deer and rabbits away from your plants. The problem is that you have to spread the stuff after every rain. It's expensive!

DMW

Flobes

Post by Flobes » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:29 pm

Most Commonly Asked Questions About Urban Coyotes
Coyote FAQs

Guide to Avoiding Human-Coyote Conflicts
Coyote Conflicts

Coyote Exclusions, Deterrents and Repellents: a tool for homeowners to utilize when trying to minimize conflicts with coyotes
Coyote Deterrents and Repellants

Coyote Home Audit Checklist: Is your yard free of coyote attractants? These are the most common attractants in developed areas:
Coyote Audit

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:00 am

I've seen Coywolves in our backyard. Bigger than a coyote, smaller than a wolf, they're cross between the species. About the size of a German Shepard. They were not at all afraid of me. They were hunting Canada geese, their main targeted food source.
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

Detective_27

Post by Detective_27 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:35 am

rustymutt wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:00 am
I've seen Coywolves in our backyard. Bigger than a coyote, smaller than a wolf, they're cross between the species. About the size of a German Shepard. They were not at all afraid of me. They were hunting Canada geese, their main targeted food source.
Heh. Wonder if you guys could import some down to where I live...

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:45 pm

Detective_27 wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:35 am
rustymutt wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:00 am
Heh. Wonder if you guys could import some down to where I live...
The geese, or hybrid coyotes? LOL I'm betting you've got the coywolf and geese already.
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!