Companies/Brands You Love?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
WhippingPost

Companies/Brands You Love?

Post by WhippingPost » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:57 am

I saw a similar question posted on Twitter yesterday. What companies do you love/trust and will always have your business? There seems to be a lot of love for Costco on here. What else? Any smaller companies?

Patagonia has had my business for 25 years and have always done right by me. I also like their outlook corporate responsibility and sustainability.

jebmke

Re: Companies/Brands You Love?

Post by jebmke » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:01 am

Ecco. Have been wearing their shoes for years now without disappointment.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:05 am

WhippingPost wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:57 am
I saw a similar question posted on Twitter yesterday. What companies do you love/trust and will always have your business? There seems to be a lot of love for Costco on here. What else? Any smaller companies?

Patagonia has had my business for 25 years and have always done right by me. I also like their outlook corporate responsibility and sustainability.
I like some of Patagonia's clothes but they are very overpriced at full retail even considering the corporate concern with responsibility and sustainability. I'm not always impressed with the helpfulness of their salespeople, either. They have had a large influence on other companies even outside their sector, though.

I am much less loyal to brands and stores than I used to be, and would never say that a company will always have my business because so many have changed for the worse.

Trader Joe's is the first store that comes to mind, though.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:13 am

Trader Joe's
Point6 (socks)
New Balance (sneakers)
Nikon (cameras and lenses)
Amazon (just about everything)
Tesla
Under Armour (I'm not sure I love the company, but the clothes are great)
ETA: LG OLED TVs
ETA: ROKU
Last edited by TomatoTomahto on Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:14 am

WhippingPost wrote:

I also made my first Patagonia purchase about 25 years ago, a Navy blue zip fleece jacket. I loved it and still have it. I subsequently bought a number of Patagonia items, but I have been increasingly disappointed. I think I still receive the catalog in the mail, but I'm pretty sure I have unsubscribed from their e-mails.

If I had to summarize my reasons for losing interest in Patagonia products: the usual gripe about deteriorating quality, their product line has expanded and now seems to be more of a "fashion statement" (imo). They've also got more competition now, and others' products can be had for a fraction of the price. While I have more money now, I guess I have become stingier with it (thanks, Bogleheads). Also, I am probably more self-conscious now about walking around with a Patagonia label exposed.

Admittedly, oftentimes I am wearing stuff for everyday use as opposed to "active wear". Even so, if I am concerned about the technical specs, etc. I would likely look to other brands. For example, I may need to buy a new Gore-tex or similar rain jacket. Not sure if I will consider Patagonia in my search.

Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:16 am

Antique Rose Emporium
Burpee Seeds "The Best Seeds that Grow" actually I think the W. Atlee Burpee Company pretty much went away after 1980,I think someone else now owns the name although there may be a farm in Pennsylvania open to tourists that once was the Burpee headquarters and perhaps the home of the Founder.
Park Seed?
older de Jager and McClure and Zimmerman bulb catalogs (I think both of those names have changed hands over the years)

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:21 am

Publix Supermarkets: Clean stores, good quality products, reasonable prices. Store brand products are excellent.

LG and Samsung: Electronics, appliances. Sony used to be go-to for TVs, but quality slipped. Now prefer LG and Samsung.

Kohl's Department stores: Good quality products (including store brand clothing), fair prices, near continuous sales. Good customer loyalty program.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

WhippingPost

Post by WhippingPost » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

rjbraun wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:14 am
WhippingPost wrote:

I also made my first Patagonia purchase about 25 years ago, a Navy blue zip fleece jacket. I loved it and still have it. I subsequently bought a number of Patagonia items, but I have been increasingly disappointed. I think I still receive the catalog in the mail, but I'm pretty sure I have unsubscribed from their e-mails.
I typically only by on sale and have noticed some decrease in quality. I've also "diversified" to Alteryx gear, another brand I like. Overall, I still like and respect Patagonia, but not as much as I did 15 years ago. That said, I am still impressed with the corporate culture thaey have maintaned despite their large growth over the years.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:30 am

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:21 am
LG and Samsung: Electronics, appliances. Sony used to be go-to for TVs, but quality slipped. Now prefer LG and Samsung.
I have updated my initial post to include LG OLED TVs (and ROKU). Sony would have been on my list a decade ago.

MP173

Post by MP173 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:31 am

Here are some brands I am partial to:

Waffle House - fine dining south of the Mason Dixon line
Hudsonville Ice Cream -
Aldi - I am a big fan these days
Casey's Convenience Stores - fastest pumps and pretty good pizza slices for those long distance midwest trips
Costco All Beef Hot dogs - just as good as Vienna, Nathans or Hebrew National at a fraction of the cost.
Flexsteel Furniture - solid and comfortable
Michael Connelly - best mystery writer
Drury Inn - outstanding hospitality but a little pricey.

Ed

open_circuit

Post by open_circuit » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:32 am

Oxo Good Grips for kitchen tools.

Samsung for TV and large consumer electronics.

Continental tires (particularly for road & cross bike).

Drury Inn for lodging when available.

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:38 am

Abraham & Strauss Department Stores, Fortunoffs for housewares, S. Kleins for clothing, DePina's for upscale things, Singer sewing machines, Hoover vacuum cleaners-my grandma's lasted 60 years - Waldbaums is the best supermarket, Pepperell for linens . . . Oh wait :oops:

fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:50 am

Toyota
North Face for jackets and backpacks
Weber
Samsung
Simplicity for power equipment

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:03 am

Some already mentioned -

Trader Joes
Oxo
Nespresso
MZ Wallace
Laduree
La Roche Posay

I would like to have shoe brands to be loyal to, but I am finding they are changing manufacturers unexpectedly and quality is slipping - fast.

I just noticed about half of the brands on my list are not even American. Oops :)
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:10 am

Tough to answer. I prefer many companies, but love...hmmm.
A few I guess:
Apple
Weber
BF Goodrich (owned by Michelin)
Kia
New Balance
Grandma Utz's Kettle Cooked Potato Chips :D
Too soon old, too late smart.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:11 am

"always have my business" - can't guarantee this for anyone. As someone else stated - Sony was once the trusted brand for a lot of electronics - now there has been a shift to Samsung and LG.

For good quality laptop bags: TUMI
For good quality carry-on luggage: TravelPro
For good quality casual-clothing: LLBean
For good quality shoes: Johnston&Murphy
Sneakers: Asics
Groceries: Whole Foods (this is one that may change depending upon how far Amazon goes)
Laptops: Lenovo
Cameras/Lenses: Nikon
Camera bags: LowePro

Getting into the real micro areas of individual products:
Tissues: Kleenex Brand (nothing else seems to compare)
Deodorant: Right Guard (too many other brands have failed me)
...probably many many more in this micro area - when I find something that works well - I tend to stick with it.

General Disarray
Location: Body in the east coast, but heart in the west coast

Post by General Disarray » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:19 am

In addition to some of the brands already listed by posters above (i.e., Trader Joe's, Toyota, and Tumi), I really like some of the store generic brands. In particular:

- Kirkland (Costco) products, especially the paper towels.
- Up and Up (Target brand) for cleaning products
- 365 (Whole Foods brand) for food and especially for unsweetened soy milk.

ADDED: For domestic flights, only JetBlue and Alaska Airlines.
Last edited by General Disarray on Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:20 am

WhippingPost wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am
rjbraun wrote:
WhippingPost wrote:

I typically only by on sale and have noticed some decrease in quality. I've also "diversified" to Alteryx gear, another brand I like. Overall, I still like and respect Patagonia, but not as much as I did 15 years ago. That said, I am still impressed with the corporate culture thaey have maintaned despite their large growth over the years.
Alteryx or Arc'teryx? I've seen Arc'teryx online at REI but haven't tried any of their clothing so far. If and when I look for a high-quality rain jacket, I may look at their jackets.

My *big* disappointment with Patagonia was with the MLC convertible carry-on. After carefully reading the Patagonia online reviews (which I find tend to be glowing (okay, maybe not always, such as with their "better sweater" product line)), I ordered one each for SO and me to use on an upcoming 2 or so week trip. SO was happy enough but the bag just didn't work for me. Thankfully, I ordered from REI and used their generous return policy to return the bag.

I realize that bag comfort / fit depends on one's build and such, but what I found totally unacceptable was that Patagonia had no compression- or cinch-straps, on the particular model we bought a few years ago, so the bag contents shifted around - an issue given it's not a tiny bag. Maybe it's not so bad if you're not using the bag backpack-style (which SO tends to not), but it didn't work at all for me. Also, the hip belt was thin and pretty much useless. All that being said, I think it's a super attractive bag, aesthetically speaking.

http://www.patagonia.com/product/headwa ... 48765.html

I am very happy with the Osprey Porter 30 travel pack I bought as a replacement. While stated capacity may be less, I find the design and functionality works fine for me.

https://www.rei.com/product/112653/ospr ... ravel-pack
Last edited by rjbraun on Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:24 am

I'm kind of surprised no one has mentioned Apple. While I may not *love* them, I do like their products and, in general, find their service & support superior to many other companies (in general, not exclusive to tech). Not to say that I haven't had issues with the company, and at the risk of jinxing things, I am generally pleased with my various Apple purchases. I assume the higher price point helps to cover the cost of quality customer support.

Edit: Whoops, I see at least one poster has also cited Apple.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:31 am

rjbraun wrote:
Also, I am probably more self-conscious now about walking around with a Patagonia label exposed.
Many of their items of clothing have the label sewn on and those can be removed easily with a seam ripper.

Just save the labels in case the item has to be returned. I had a zipper refuse to stay in the track on a jacket. It was a problem that they were aware of and they replaced the jacket, but because I had removed the labels I had to show them a receipt for the exchange, and they were still hesitant because the receipt was just a printed email from a minor online website that I could have easily faked.

foamypirate

Post by foamypirate » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:36 am

Ruger
Michelin
Honda (more for the yard equipment than the cars)
SK Hand Tools
Tillamook (What can I say?)

Ruger

Post by Ruger » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:36 am

Toyota- my last several cars have been Toyotas and they run and run without problems.
Midway USA- sells anything you need for shooting, and other outdoor gear. Great service.
Les Schwab-a local tire dealer with outlets across the state. Excellent service.
Easy Spirit shoes- make extra extra wide shoes at reasonable prices, and they are not ugly like I've seen in specialty wide shoe stores.
Wal Mart- they have everything I need in one location at reasonable prices. I've started shopping
on line with them too, although many of the times I can find better prices elsewhere.
Costco-excellent customer service. Only thing I don't like is that they may have items once, never to be offered again.

Oh, and I agree with MP173 about Michael Connelly.....best mystery writer out there.
Last edited by Ruger on Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:39 am

Apple Inc.
Last edited by Nicolas on Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

camden

Post by camden » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:16 am

In February of 2003, I bought a treadmill for home use from a company called Pacemaster. Have used the thing every day since then unless I'm away from home (which is no more than three weeks a year), and my wife uses it four times a week. The thing is still running perfectly after 14+ years. Unfortunately, don't think the company is still in business...... Wish I had a good alternative for when it finally quits.

Drew31

Post by Drew31 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:23 am

First few that come to mind

Skechers
Thorntons (Gas Station)
Nivea for Men
Coke Zero
Asus

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:34 am

Surprised that no one has yet mentioned Vanguard.

ETA: And since Vanguard is owned by its investors, doesn't that mean that, if you are Vanguard investor, you love yourself?

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:40 am

Random Poster wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:34 am
Surprised that no one has yet mentioned Vanguard.

ETA: And since Vanguard is owned by its investors, doesn't that mean that, if you are Vanguard investor, you love yourself?
I had a similar thought. I am not sure how I feel about Vanguard's significant growth of late (basis for a new thread) but was wondering when someone would mention Vanguard. For sure, a year or more ago Vanguard would have been very, very high on my list. Still up there, but the "bloom may be off the rose".

SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:40 am

Drew31 wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:23 am
First few that come to min

Coke Zero
I was a big Coke Zero fan until they recently changed the formula and renamed it "Coke Zero Sugar" -- I'm curious what your thoughts are on that.
Something about the new formulation made me nauseous.
Diet Coke from here on out...

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:48 am

SuperGrafx wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:40 am
Drew31 wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:23 am
First few that come to min

Coke Zero
I was a big Coke Zero fan until they recently changed the formula and renamed it "Coke Zero Sugar" -- I'm curious what your thoughts are on that.
Something about the new formulation made me nauseous.
Diet Coke from here on out...
I enjoy drinking a Coke every once in a while but have had to cut back on sugar and now Coke tastes much too sweet for me to enjoy. I had a Coke Zero a few weeks ago, not sure which version. Had I not poured it from the can myself, I would have had no idea that it was a Coca Cola product. Could have been a store brand generic diet cola. Okay but not really enjoyable to drink. However, I had a fountain drink recently from a self-serve dispenser and almost filled the cup with Diet Coke or Coke Zero (can't remember which) but put an ounce or two of regular Cherry Coke in it and it had a much nicer flavor and wasn't too sweet, and I really liked it.

WhippingPost

Post by WhippingPost » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:52 am

rjbraun wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:20 am
WhippingPost wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am
rjbraun wrote:
WhippingPost wrote:

Alteryx or Arc'teryx? I've seen Arc'teryx online at REI but haven't tried any of their clothing so far. If and when I look for a high-quality rain jacket, I may look at their jackets.

I meant Arc'teryx. Alteryx is a software I've used in the past. Yet another sign I am getting old.

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:56 am

L.L. Bean. To paraphrase an old military expression, if I went into my closet and yelled, "L.L. Bean, Attention on Deck!" about 3/4 of my clothes would be off the hangars and standing tall.
Friar1610

queso

Post by queso » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:58 am

Stihl (yard equipment)
Arcteryx (outerwear)
Mountain Hardwear (outerwear)
Marmot (outerwear and sleeping bags/tents)
Klim (motorcycle gear)
Miele (vacuums)
Costco
Osprey (packs and stuff sacks)
Honda
Vanguard
Bosch (power tools)
Makita (power tools)
DeWalt (power tools)
Logitech (mice and remotes)
WASD (mechanical keyboards)
Mosko Moto (motorcycle luggage)
Kriega (motorcycle luggage)
Cervelo (bicycles)
Specialized (bicycles)
Cannondale (bicycles)
Last edited by queso on Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:00 pm

Publix
Costco
LL Bean
New Balance
Belks Dept Store
Whole Foods (pricey but some things are worth it)
Samsung electronics
Dicks
Stihl

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:01 pm

Apple
Toyota
Nespresso
New Balance (shoes)

bltkmt

Post by bltkmt » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:07 pm

• Tom Bihn
    Patagonia
    Bluffworks
    Quoddy
    Toyota/Lexus
    Spyderco
    Spotify
    Apple

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:37 pm

Here are a few companies I've had excellent customer service from over the past few years - knowing that they fix things if there is a problem is a huge incentive to keep buying stuff from them.

Tivo - very responsive customer service. When there are issues they fix them without much hassle.
Garmin - Garmin has been great when I've had issues with any of their products, including some product replacements outside of the warranty period.
Amazon - very customer-focused and usually helpful with customer service issues and quick with refunds if there are issues.
Lutron - I had a 9 year old switch break and they replaced it no questions asked.
Apple - very liberal with repair/replacement, especially if you have AppleCare.
Fitbit - replaced my lost Fitbit for free.

Here are some other brands/products I just like:
Logitech/Harmony: Harmony Companion remote is amazing.
Amazon Echo: I know I mentioned Amazon above, but I use the Echo Dot all the time, despite thinking I wouldn't use it much.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:55 pm

Amazon - so convenient, never have to leave the home to shop, very interested in seeing what they do with Whole Foods and grocery delivery
Apple - Phone, Tablet, Computer (Windows is awful)
Google - surprisingly love Google products even though I also love Apple
Starbucks - it's not the best but it's consistent
LG TV's
Honda/Toyota - great value, reliable, low cost to own
Michelin tires
Costco - quality bulk food and staples
Delta - seems to be the best airline in my experience
Verizon - best coverage in rural areas
Bose - somewhat overpriced but I like their products
Smartwool - best socks
Reef sandals

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:09 pm

American Express - Blue Cash Preferred is our almost-exclusive use CC;
Kroger - will even pay a bit more for the customer service and clean store, it helps that it's walkable from our house;
Vanguard - I just like their TDF in my retirement account (our only investment), though I do enjoy reading their research every once in a while, too;
Dockers - as long as I get the button and not the clip fastener, I love these khakis for daily wear;
Levi's - real, comfortable, jeans (I know that's not their motto);
Toyota - I'm sure it would be Honda if I drove one of those first, but I love my little car like a member of the family - in a healthy sort of way;
Allen Edmonds - excellent pair of dress shoes, I just wish I didn't have to choose between paying my mortgage and buying them;
Fiesta Dishware - makes for a colorful cabinet, and (mostly) made in the USA;
Intuit Turbotax - have stuck with them over the years, and now they've got my data;
Amigo's - a local tex-mex shop with fantastic margaritas that we frequent way too often.

Sans Vanguard, the above have all also provided excellent customer service.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:15 pm

Texanbybirth wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:09 pm
Allen Edmonds - excellent pair of dress shoes, I just wish I didn't have to choose between paying my mortgage and buying them;
I used to wear these when I was working. If you take care of them, IMO the total cost of ownership is not worse than most other shoes.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:41 pm

I guess I will say Snap On since when there is a job to do on a car they seem to have the exact right thing that makes the job easiest to do-like the specific spark plug socket with double flex joints. Specific tool (socket that looks like it has a built in 1/2" drive extension) used for taking apart a Subaru (splitting the crankcase?) engine -those tools are very expensive- Stock hasn't done too bad either -I guess you could say the same thing about a fancy German tool brand if you work on Mercedes-or KoKen or Nepros/KTC if you work on Japanese cars
For general good quality tools (sockets wrenches and such) Wright Tool made in Ohio

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:50 pm

Coke
Google
Amazon
Vanguard
Whoops,,,
Forgot Honda
:happy
Last edited by Toons on Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:08 pm

Starbucks
Honda
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

pechy2925

Post by pechy2925 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:11 pm

Apple
Tesla
Amazon & Whole Foods
Maui Jim
Patagonia
...not hard to tell I'm a millennial :wink:

ChunkyLover

Post by ChunkyLover » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:12 pm

Intel - I seem to never get off the intel chips
Allen Edmonds - pretty loyal, but I like others
Ratio Clothing - extremely loyal for mid range shirts
Microsoft - I enjoy excel

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:18 pm

Oreos

I thought long and hard about this as I read the OP. I couldn't come up with a single thing besides Oreos for which I have absolute brand loyalty. A few months ago (and definitely 18 months ago) I probably would have said Chipotle, but my local store was the one with norovirus. But anything else I own is able to be replicated in pretty close proximity by numerous other companies.

chuppi

Post by chuppi » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:50 pm

Tubus - bike racks
Ortlieb - Panniers
Revo
Apple
Tesla - don't own anything yet
Banana republic
Clarks
Pottery Barn
Patagonia
The North Face
Vanguard
Western Mountaineering
MSR

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:08 pm

In February of 2003, I bought a treadmill for home use from a company called Pacemaster. Have used the thing every day since then unless I'm away from home (which is no more than three weeks a year), and my wife uses it four times a week. The thing is still running perfectly after 14+ years. Unfortunately, don't think the company is still in business...... Wish I had a good alternative for when it finally quits.

I own a Pacemaster treadmill, purchased in 1994, runs perfectly after 23 years of constant use and absolutely no maintenance whatsoever. I remember when they delivered it, they mentioned they would be back to service the belt when it needed it. Needless to say....has never been touched for service. I have moved that thing 7 times in 23 years, has taken some beating, still ticking. I fear to ever get rid of it - I'll never find that kind of love again.

Does yours have the crank handle for adjusting the incline? It was manual or motor at the time.

BFG
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:23 pm

I have very little brand loyalty. There are a few companies I like though. I wish we had Costco because I think I'd like them, both for the shopping and for the way they treat their employees.

I do love Penzey's spices.

fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:36 pm

Aldi's
Kohl's
Coke
Bacardi Rummmmmm
Skechers
Gloria Jean's Coffee
Fat Tire Beer
Menard's
Amazon
Pflueger fishing equipment
Black Angus Beef
Black Box Wine
oh....did I mention Coke, Bacardi Rummmmm.................

athan

Post by athan » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:07 pm

Chewy.com

When our family dog passed a few weeks ago, my mother called chewy.com to cancel an auto-shipment. Not only did the company cancel the shipment, but they also refunded our last recent purchase which was over a few hundred dollars. They told my mom to donate the food and other purchases to a nearby shelter.

Then, three days later my mom received a dozen roses with a hand written condolence letter from the company.

They are doing something right at that company.