Hulu w/ Live TV

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ediekrager

Hulu w/ Live TV

Post by ediekrager » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:38 pm

I know there are many threads on cord cutting, but this is a bit different. My wife and I are sports fans so most cord cutting options don't work for us. However, Hulu with Live TV is now in beta and is $38.99 per month. It has the major sports networks plus almost every other channel possible. Based on channel lineup, it appears perfect for us. Has anyone tried out this service yet?

raddoc101

Re: Hulu w/ Live TV

Post by raddoc101 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:07 pm

Just tried it out yesterday. So far have been very happy with it and cancelled our PS vue with their soon to be increasing prices. We've never had Hulu before and 40 for both traditional Hulu and Hulu live is very nice. I added 4 bucks to avoid commercials.

You can try it out for free, as you can with the others.

We had been happy with PS vue, but the rising cost and inconsistency of some of their on demand content caused me to make the switch.

Both are much better values than cable/ satellite IMO.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:14 pm

I've looked at Hulu Live TV. The add-ons bring the price over PS Vue for us. 2 screens only and 50 hours of DVR. You have to do add-ons to watch on more than 2 screens and increase the DVR space.

Our PS Vue price is going up as well. At this point, I am going to stick with PS Vue. The family has gotten used to it and the price is still reasonable.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

Copper John

Post by Copper John » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:19 pm

From purely a sports perspective Hulu, Sling and Playstation Vue all offer a large amount of sports coverage with Youtube TV lagging behind. A brief summary from looking at their web listings.

Hulu
- $40

Local networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX) - Availability will vary by market
Major Sports Networks NOT in this option -MLB Network, NFL Network, NBA TV and PAC 12 Network

Playstation Vue $45

Major Sports Networks NOT in this option - PAC12 Network, CBS Sports Network

Sling TV - Blue, Orange and Sports Package - $50

Major sports networks NOT in this option - Golf Network, Big 10 Network, CBS Sports Network and MLB Network.
Sling has deals with some of the regional Fox networks which may bring you the local MLB team's games in those markets.

Youtube TV - $35
Has all the local networks but is only available in limited number of cities
Major spots networks NOT in this option - MLB Network, NFL Network, Golf Network, ESPN News, Big 10 Network, NBC Sports Network, Pac 12 Network, NBA TV

weltschmerz

Post by weltschmerz » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:31 pm

Had never heard of Hulu Live before so I just looked into it. I already have Hulu, but I get it on my Roku box. It seems Hulu Live is not yet available on the Roku, so I guess I will wait for them to roll this out. Not sure I will like it anyway, I currently just use an antenna to get sports, but the Cloud DVR would be nice.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:45 pm

Copper John wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:19 pm

Youtube TV - $35
Major spots networks NOT in this option - MLB Network, NFL Network, Golf Network, ESPN News, Big 10 Network, NBC Sports Network, Pac 12 Network, NBA TV
I'm a YouTube TV subscriber. The Golf Network, Big 10 Network and ESPN News are included.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

Copper John

Post by Copper John » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:10 pm

FrugalInvestor wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:45 pm
Copper John wrote:

Youtube TV - $35
I'm a YouTube TV subscriber. The Golf Network, Big 10 Network and ESPN News are included.
Thanks for the correction. I neglected to click an arrow on their website which showed additional stations on their website. In doing so, I see they also carry the YES network for Yankee games and the NESN(New England Sports Network) for Red Sox games which are not available on the other streaming networks.

I also forgot one additional live TV streaming option:

Direct TV Now - $50 Option
Local Networks - Will vary by region. Like Sling has contracts with regional sports networks in some markets
Major sports networks NOT in this option: NBA TV & Golf TV available in the $60 option. NFL Network, CBS Sports Network and PAC 12 networks not in line up.
Last edited by Copper John on Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:22 pm

Copper John wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:10 pm
FrugalInvestor wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:45 pm
Copper John wrote:

Youtube TV - $35
Thanks for the correction. I neglected to click an arrow on their website which showed additional stations on their website. In doing so, I see they also carry the YES network for Yankee games and the NESN(New England Sports Network) for Red Sox games which are not available on the other streaming networks.
Yes (no pun intended), we get our regional sports network for in-market MLB games. This is the primary reason that we subscribed in the first place. I also like getting the Big 10 network. We've found Youtube TV to be more stable (fewer technical glitches) than the other services we've tried so we've stuck with it. We got very tired of poor picture quality, poor DVR performance and mistaken game blackouts with the other services. We've had none of those with YouTube TV.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

Dude2

Post by Dude2 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:15 am

Cord cutter here. Yes, I recently had to join You Tube TV to get access to the US Open (tennis), but I will be quitting when it's done. I'm not impressed either with the user interface to be able to find things to watch or with the DVR (there's nothing to help you there, i.e. "Would you like to record all US Open events?") Like regular Hulu (I have not had Hulu w/ Live TV), there is significant content missing. You can't just browse to find back episodes of past shows, e.g. Better Call Saul, Fargo. Although major networks are provided, you get a dumbed down or lite version of those networks. (Case in point, the Tennis Channel which is typically an additional $40 a month on top of your cable TV bill -- talk about a PREMIUM channel -- anyway, they offer selections from there, not full time ability to tune into the channel as though it was playing from your cable TV provider set top box.)

I find it all very irritating because even with these issues of lower content and bad user interface, you still have commercials to deal with. I'm just not sure what they think I'm getting for the money. Most of their content I can get over the air or via Netflix or Amazon Prime.

In contrast, I paid $75 for a full year of WTA (Women's Tennis Association) streaming service -- full access to 100's of matches, no commercials, both live and on demand. Talk about WORTH IT! However, there is no corresponding service via the ATP on the men's side yet. The trouble is the businessmen squeeze every cent out of the deals they make with the major networks and ESPN which precludes the ability to give us these awesome back stage pass streaming services. Let me tell you, it is a huge difference to watch a sport and not have to be switched over to a commercial at every possible break in the action. At first you don't know what to do with yourself -- your brain is so trained to zone out. It's exactly like being there live.

On topic, anybody know of any other sports that offer comparable streaming services to what the WTA offers? Can you get that for MLB or the NFL? Soccer? I haven't done the research. There's only so many hours in the day, and lately it's all been tennis.

staustin

Post by staustin » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:07 am

big sports fan myself - found psvue to be our best option. our core elite slim package is no longer for sale I see though and I noted the price increase that's coming. Sticking with Psvue for the time being but monitoring both FuboTV and Hulu Live..

4th and Inches

Post by 4th and Inches » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:36 am

Those of you who are big sports fans and have one of these packages how much is your combined internet and cable bill per month? I assume that if you are a big sports fan that you have one of the larger packages. Hulu TV seems to hit just about all of my needs. Also, is there any compromise in the quality of the broadcast and functionality over regular cable?

Right now my all in cable and internet bill with Xfinity is $155 per month.

Copper John

Post by Copper John » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:50 pm

4th and Inches wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:36 am
Those of you who are big sports fans and have one of these packages how much is your combined internet and cable bill per month? I assume that if you are a big sports fan that you have one of the larger packages. Hulu TV seems to hit just about all of my needs. Also, is there any compromise in the quality of the broadcast and functionality over regular cable?

I have Playstation Vue and pay $45 plus $50 per month for internet service from Xfinity. I previously had Xfinity for TV and in comparing interface and reliability I would give Xfinity the edge, but this edge was not sufficient enough for me to pay the price differential as my Xfinity internet & TV bill was over $190 without any premium channels such as HBO or Showtime.

I will occasionally get a frozen screen on a program (maybe once ever 3 or 4 weeks) that usually resolves itself quickly. The picture I receive is usually sharp without lag. Have had it about a year and one time I one time had to delete the Playstation Vue app on my Fire TV box and reload it and that solved all issues at the time.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:53 pm

4th and Inches wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:36 am

I have 15mbps fiber internet through a local company for $47 and Youtube TV for $37 (both include tax) for a total of $84. We were previously right around your number with our cable company but that was going up. I also have an antenna and TiVo Roamia OTA DVR which I may not do again today although we like the guide better and it gives us some offbeat stations that are fun to watch along with the major networks. It also allows us to change to a streaming service without the networks if we so choose.

4th and Inches

Post by 4th and Inches » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:05 pm

Copper John wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:50 pm

I have Playstation Vue and pay $45 plus $50 per month for internet service from Xfinity. I previously had Xfinity for TV and in comparing interface and reliability I would give Xfinity the edge, but this edge was not sufficient enough for me to pay the price differential as my Xfinity internet & TV bill was over $190 without any premium channels such as HBO or Showtime.

I will occasionally get a frozen screen on a program (maybe once ever 3 or 4 weeks) that usually resolves itself quickly. The picture I receive is usually sharp without lag. Have had it about a year and one time I one time had to delete the Playstation Vue app on my Fire TV box and reload it and that solved all issues at the time.
That is really good information. I hadn't looked at Playstation Vue in quite awhile and it looks like the sports line-up has been bolstered and hits all my key points. How is commercial ad skipping with Playstation Vue on shows/sports you have DVRd?

Dude2

Post by Dude2 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:09 pm

Some of these options require the hardware, right? I'm assuming that to get Playstation Vue that you have to own a Playstation. Correct? What's that set you back these days?

blevine

Post by blevine » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:13 pm

Hulu live, last I checked, was not widely available on all platforms.
I use FIRE TV and it does not yet offer Hulu Live.
I did the free trial of Hulu live on xbox (my kids device) but stuck with Sling that works on both devices.
I may switch someday, did seem slightly economical to consolidate my traditional Hulu service with Sling to a single service.

Note live TV may take time to get the kinks out, there is a a reason it's a "beta" service.
Early adopters of Sling complained of poor service, be ready.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:13 pm

Dude2 wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:09 pm
Some of these options require the hardware, right? I'm assuming that to get Playstation Vue that you have to own a Playstation. Correct? What's that set you back these days?
No. PSVue can be watched on many devices. Here's a link to the list on their website....

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/netwo ... ed-devices

Copper John

Post by Copper John » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:36 pm

4th and Inches wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:05 pm
Copper John wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:50 pm

That is really good information. I hadn't looked at Playstation Vue in quite awhile and it looks like the sports line-up has been bolstered and hits all my key points. How is commercial ad skipping with Playstation Vue on shows/sports you have DVRd?
I have read that Playstation like Sling and Youtube has now begun to substitute its cloud DVR for on demand recordings with commercials and no fast forward options on certain networks such as AMC of Fox. I have not recently recorded on those networks recently, but just checked shows I recorded on ABC and the Discovery network and I was able to fast forward through commercials.

http://cordcuttersnews.com/playstation- ... dvr-works/