Stay or not - natural disaster

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Nyc10036

Stay or not - natural disaster

Post by Nyc10036 »

I went through Superstorm Sandy almost 4 years ago.
Looking back I probably should have gone to a hotel in eastern PA and stayed for a couple of days.
Fortunately we continued to have running water even though the power was out for 4 days.

Now looking at Hurricane Harvey and Houston, how does one make the stay or flee decision with a natural disaster?
VictoriaF

Re: Stay or not - natural disaster

Post by VictoriaF »

The wrong way is to follow your gut feeling. After you should have left but did not you are more likely to leave next time. After several false alarms you are more likely to stay. The problem is that in each case the outcome is unrelated to the previous outcomes.

The right way is to develop a policy for dealing with natural disasters and stick to it while disregarding the gut.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit »

If a hurricane is headed for you, leave. Decision made.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. Die anyway. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.
41Fin

Post by 41Fin »

Just because the water is running doesn't make it drinkable.

Always leave, things can be bought again.
dolphintraveler

Post by dolphintraveler »

I'm in the always flee category as well. Everything but lives (people and animals) can be replaced.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

First responders are overwhelmed in Houston right now b/c people didn't leave. Living in the country with a truck and flat bottom boat is one thing, but living in the city means get out asap.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

TxAg wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:36 pm First responders are overwhelmed in Houston right now b/c people didn't leave. Living in the country with a truck and flat bottom boat is one thing, but living in the city means get out asap.
The Mayor of Houston is still standing by his decision NOT to have residents evacuate.

We've spoken about this type of threat a few times, since Katrina and Sandy, and we'd leave, and early.
Worst case, we'd make a vacation out of it for a while, *elsewhere*.

After Sandy, we installed a generator, in great part to keep the sump pump running. However, that was in case of a localized storm, or blizzard, not something regional and catastrophic.

Tornadoes are scary, as they can appear "unannounced" (although radar these days can be remarkably helpful, as I found out on a business trip to Tulsa when there were tornado warnings and actual tornado touchdowns).
But hurricanes... they aren't particularly stealthy, even if the degree and duration aren't predictable.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

I'd leave. Dead means that you don't get SS or retirement assets. I am currently collecting. :greedy Besides, that's why I have home insurance. Use it or lose it. :oops:

In our area, it's volcanoes, earthquake, and tsunamis. aka The Big One. :annoyed
YDisasterMV :| :sharebeer
Last edited by itstoomuch on Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo
Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest »

I would stay.

However our house is on top of a hill, we are not in a hurricane alley. We have a well and a generator.

I am more concerned about man made disasters as in being victim of runaway truck or nuclear holocaust than hit by tornado,lightning or an earthquake.
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.
mouses

Post by mouses »

A few hurricane warnings ago I changed to leaving. I worry about the house, and worry about what I'll find when I get back there, but I don't worry about dying. Tucked up cozy in a hotel room, snacks, a good book beats the heck out of watching for hours and wondering if the water is going to come over the seawall and slam into the house.

It's more complicated now that I have a pet, but the hotel I go to accepts pets. The stress would be on the cat in being in an unfamiliar place.

There's something irrational about staying in place when a disaster warning is in effect. Perhaps some shrink here could explain it.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

mouses wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:03 pm There's something irrational about staying in place when a disaster warning is in effect. Perhaps some shrink here could explain it.
Not a shrink here, but I would guess the old thought of "That's something that happens to other people, not me" goes into effect.

There might also be a recency bias like "It didn't happen to me last time..." not understanding probabilities, black swans, etc.

Also, people who have been through it before (and survived) are probably much more likely to leave the next time, than those who haven't ever expereienced it yet. The latter have no frame of reference. It's always easy to say how dumb people are to try to drive through water (and get stuck) if it's never happened to you. Sometimes, you can't turn around and go the other direction (on a highway, etc) and sometimes water rises much faster than you might ever have expected and you're suddenly trapped.

just my 2 cents. Never happened to me. Hopefully never will. It's obviously best to get out of a path of a hurricane. I wasn't aware the mayor of Houston told people not to leave. He's going to have some answering to do. That was clearly not the right call.
It's "Stay" the course, not Stray the Course. Buy and Hold works. You should really try it sometime. Get a plan: www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investment_policy_statement
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

dolphintraveler wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:27 pm I'm in the always flee category as well. Everything but lives (people and animals) can be replaced.

Agree. Safety is paramount.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

ResearchMed wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:42 pm
TxAg wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:36 pm First responders are overwhelmed in Houston right now b/c people didn't leave. Living in the country with a truck and flat bottom boat is one thing, but living in the city means get out asap.
The Mayor of Houston is still standing by his decision NOT to have residents evacuate.

We've spoken about this type of threat a few times, since Katrina and Sandy, and we'd leave, and early.
Worst case, we'd make a vacation out of it for a while, *elsewhere*.

After Sandy, we installed a generator, in great part to keep the sump pump running. However, that was in case of a localized storm, or blizzard, not something regional and catastrophic.

Tornadoes are scary, as they can appear "unannounced" (although radar these days can be remarkably helpful, as I found out on a business trip to Tulsa when there were tornado warnings and actual tornado touchdowns).
But hurricanes... they aren't particularly stealthy, even if the degree and duration aren't predictable.

RM

I think you've got the right attitude about it.

Regarding the Mayor, I'll just say I disagree with him.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

I lived in the Miami area during Andrew. I went about an hours north out of harms way. Having seen he devastation when I came back glad I did.

I had friends stayed huddled up in bathroom and watched their roof blow off. I guess that is worth some entertainment value.

Chances are you will survive if you stay but then you get to live in a wasteland for some period with no electricity and everything is closed and chances are streets are blocked or shut down.
Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 »

It's an individual decision but we'd play it safe. We have a special needs kid. He couldn't hang on to a roof, etc. We'd leave.
OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 »

I am so surprised that residents weren't asked to evacuate. Not so much due to the hurricane itself, but due to the absolutely astounding amount of rain that was being predicted in areas. When we get 4 or 5 inches of rain, it is a lot of rain, but 24 inches!!!.......I can't even imagine staying around to find out about that. And I saw tonight that some places could receive up to 50 inches of rain! Wow!

And to still see people who have been out and about driving around in it.....
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread has run its course and is locked (not a consumer issue). See: Personal Consumer Issues
This subforum is focused on making informed decisions about consumer goods and services (other than investing or financial).

Acceptable topics include:

- consumer goods and services (e.g., dress shirts, laptops, software)
- home maintenance
- vehicle purchases and maintenance
- leisure and recreational activities: travel, sports, entertainment

Note that topics must be directly connected to your (or your friend's or family's) life as a consumer. General comments or complaints about these topics will be removed.

Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies.
FYI - Concerns for health & welfare of Bogleheads impacted by Hurricane Harvey can be posted in the Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community forum.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.