Desperate to get rid of mosquitoes, what else could we try?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
vveat

Desperate to get rid of mosquitoes, what else could we try?

Post by vveat » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:37 am

We are becoming rather desperate to reduce the mosquitoes in our back yard. So much so that for us it’s becoming a determining factor whether to move houses or not. We’ve tried a lot of things, and I was wondering whether you have more suggestions.

When we bought the house 12 years ago the mosquitoes were at pretty normal for our area level, we used our backyard with minimal control methods (sprays and candles). Over the last 5-6 years both the number and the type changed. Now it’s not possible to be outside for more than 5 minutes without getting some on you. I am the one who has it worst since I have an allergic reaction to mosquito bites, not life threatening but very unpleasant. The rest of the family get bitten less and have only mild itchiness. But I am usually out for very short periods of time, and we almost never entertain guests outside nowadays. Personal sprays (we use Off) seem to work for a while – but I do want to be able to go out for 5 minutes to pick some tomatoes without spraying myself all over. This is our only problem with this house, but it’s pretty big for us.

Regretfully we have not sure what are the main sources of the mosquitoes.
- We have a small river behind the house, but it’s moving water and we’ve checked for stagnant places, there seem to be none. We tried dunking in a few shallow places but the water washes it away.
- One of our neighbors doesn’t use his backyard and we see a few old tires and cans that very likely hold rainwater. We are not in a relationship where we can ask him to clean them up.

What we have tried:
- We are spraying almost everything with Cutter (through the garden hose) weekly or after a rain. The only things that don’t get sprayed are the couple of vegetables beds at one end of the garden. We have a fogger as well, but use it more rarely as it doesn't work that well in wind.
- We asked the above-mentioned neighbor whether he minds us spraying over the fence, he said no, so we are trying to hit as much of his yard as possible
- Got a Mosquito Magnet (Patriot Plus) and we are running it all the time, on the border between us and the neighbor. The bug bag fills up, but no visible decrease in the number of mosquitoes present
- Our backyard and surrounding area are shady and full of trees. We are now cutting down on bushes and other vegetation (incl. some trees) to reduce places where mosquitoes could be finding shade and hiding.

Any other ideas what we could try?

Thanks!

stan1

Re: Desperate to get rid of mosquitoes, what else could we try?

Post by stan1 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:49 am

It might help to understand whether this is a problem affecting your entire town, neighborhood, or very localized to your lot. If the entire area is seeing different weather patterns (rain, wind, heat) you might be facing an uphill battle much more so than if its very localized.

celia

Post by celia » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:50 am

vveat wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:37 am
- One of our neighbors doesn’t use his backyard and we see a few old tires and cans that very likely hold rainwater. We are not in a relationship where we can ask him to clean them up.
Mosquitoes can be considered a public health risk. Our city checks and sprays gutters, alleys, etc. The county even puts out bug collection traps (that you are not allowed to touch) and picks them up periodically to see if the zika mosquitoes have hit our area yet. (Our property taxes include a charge for vector control, which is primarily mosquito control in our area.)

Have you called your city and county yet to see if they have a mosquito control plan? Mention your neighbor who has standing water in his yard and they will take care of that.

We have relatives who live in Michigan and they seem to use the bug zapper machines effectively. They hang from the eaves near the patio (to also prevent them from coming in the house?). Another relative there lives in a rural area that is checkerboarded on the maps. The national forest owns the "black" squares and private individuals own the "red" squares. The forest does not do any mosquito abatement so they are surrounded with them. They also use the bug zappers.
Last edited by celia on Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:52 am

Have you tried citronella candles? I light a couple when I go out to grill and they seem to work. Otherwise I get eaten alive. Also does time of day make a difference? Most species are evening biters. They are crazy at dusk but mornings are pretty good for us.

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:57 am

celia wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:50 am
vveat wrote:
Mosquitoes can be considered a public health risk. Our city checks and sprays gutters, alleys, etc. The county even puts out bug collection traps (that you are not allowed to touch) and picks them up periodically to see if the zika mosquitoes have hit our area yet. (Our property taxes include a charge for vector control, which is primarily mosquito control in our area.)

Have you called your city and county yet to see if they have a mosquito control plan? Mention your neighbor who has standing water in his yard and they will take care of that.
This. Any city or county I know of will cite someone with tires in the yard that hold water. Around here they will even cite you for having a tire swing unless you drill drainage holes in the bottom. Mosquitoes are becoming far more hazardous due to Zika and other viruses. Call the health department.

Also try to call one of those mosquito spray services. I'm told they work very well. I'm hesitant because I hesitant to spray chemicals all around - scared they will turn out to be cancer causing. However, cancer in 20 years won't matter if you die from Zika in 5 years...

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:09 pm

Take a look here, lots of good info. and products. One of the backyard misting systems may work for you or a fogger or both. Be sure and read the descriptions and customer comments carefully to make sure you're getting a product that will do what you need......

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/mosquitoes-c-94.html
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

soc2003

Post by soc2003 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:20 pm

I have had to deal with mosquitoes for most of my life, and the most important thing I have found is to avoid any standing water. Water is tires is especially bad because the water can breed mosquitoes in a dark covered environments for weeks. I would complain to the city, as it is a health hazard.

Citronella, Deet, etc. are secondary prevention and don't always work well.

wander

Post by wander » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:34 pm

I saw some stuffs you can try at Lowes in the bugs control section. There are all kind of bug zappers (chemically or electrically) you can try. I haven't had one so after you try, you can give some feedback if it fix the mosquitoes problem.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:36 pm

Mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers and other noxious bugs are getting more numerous where I am (mid-Atlantic) because the winters are mild and they aren't getting frozen back as much as the used to. Not a lot you can do other than control the breeding areas. We have spraying done very selectively only to try to set back the real explosions a few days after the rain (it doesn't do much good to spray right after the rain). Birds, bats and dragon flies eat a lot but they will never keep up with them. To be honest, I worry more about tick-borne disease than I do about mosquitoes. Plus those tick bites itch for a couple of weeks or so - skeeter bites seem to go away after an hour or two.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

IMO

Post by IMO » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:39 pm

vveat wrote:
I am the one who has it worst since I have an allergic reaction to mosquito bites, not life threatening but very unpleasant. The rest of the family get bitten less and have only mild itchiness.
Unpleasant it putting it nicely. Have the same issue, and only recently found it has an actual name: skeeter syndrome.
http://www.skeetersyndrome.net/ I personally will not live anywhere where there is a significant mosquito issue.

Tough situation. Others have given good advice, especially if neighbor is an issue with tires. Perhaps you can offer to pay to have them removed and taken to the dump?

Another thing that can help, if area allows, get a firepit or 2 and when you wanting to use the backyard, get that going and occasionally put in some greener wood/leaves because the smoke seems to keep them away.

Best of luck.

sport

Post by sport » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:50 pm

Check the gutters on your house for blockage and standing water.

denovo

Post by denovo » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:53 pm

Call a pest and bug control company.....
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Traveller

Post by Traveller » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:55 pm

Ive had good luck throwing mosquito dunks everywhere there is standing water including gutters, hollows in trees, low spots, ponds, drainage fields, and certainly your neighbors tires... they release a bacteria into the water that is safe to the environment/pets/animals/people but kills mosquito larva.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:56 pm

sport wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:50 pm
Good point. Gutters sometimes aren't pitched enough to completely drain -- or they may have organic material sitting in them that hold water. I clean mine and clear the downspouts every spring after the oak trees are finished blooming and drop all that oak "crap" and then again in the late fall after the leaves are down.

One area I spray often is under the deck. The deck sits up about 2 feet off the ground and there is a plastic barrier and pea gravel ballast under it. I know a little water stays under there despite the grade so about a week after it rains I shoot a bomb under the deck. That also gets the invisible biting insects that seem to love that kind of environment (and my legs).
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

EHEngineer

Post by EHEngineer » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:20 pm

There is insect repellent clothing. The repellent effect is said to last through 80 washes.

https://www.rei.com/b/exofficio/c/all?r ... 5553786392
Or, you can ... decline to let me, a stranger on the Internet, egg you on to an exercise in time-wasting, and you could say "I'm probably OK and I don't care about it that much." -Nisiprius

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:06 pm

EHEngineer wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:20 pm
There is insect repellent clothing. The repellent effect is said to last through 80 washes.

These clothes use Permithrin which I understand in some cases can be toxic to cats. Anyone with cats needs to be careful not to leave these around. Our cat loves to lick clothing with deet on them. We try to avoid leaving them around but I don't think it as toxic as permithrin. We don't keep any permithrin sprays around.

For some reason dogs can handle it.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:16 pm

This. Any city or county I know of will cite someone with tires in the yard that hold water. Around here they will even cite you for having a tire swing unless you drill drainage holes in the bottom. Mosquitoes are becoming far more hazardous due to Zika and other viruses. Call the health department.
I agree.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:17 pm

stan1 wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:49 am
It might help to understand whether this is a problem affecting your entire town, neighborhood, or very localized to your lot. If the entire area is seeing different weather patterns (rain, wind, heat) you might be facing an uphill battle much more so than if its very localized.
I also agree.

EHEngineer

Post by EHEngineer » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:35 pm

jebmke wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:06 pm
EHEngineer wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:20 pm

These clothes use Permithrin which I understand in some cases can be toxic to cats. Anyone with cats needs to be careful not to leave these around. Our cat loves to lick clothing with deet on them. We try to avoid leaving them around but I don't think it as toxic as permithrin. We don't keep any permithrin sprays around.

For some reason dogs can handle it.
The reality though, is that there is little, if anything to fear. The information that is being posted, while technically correct, omits the most important information for cat poisoning: dosage, exposure, and type of treatment. Cats have had issues in the past with pyrthroids in high concentrations, almost exclusively with topical applications for flea and tick dips and shampoos, and pyrethroid infused flea and tick collars. The doses that caused problems in the past involves treating the cat directly with a topical pyrethroid, it has the one of the highest exposure rates.
Once this problem was discovered, they lowered the dosage of the pyrethrin to a level that would be tolerated by cats and labeled the product accordingly. Here is the best-selling flea & tick shampoo on Amazon for cats and kittens (and dogs too).
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... L1500_.jpg
If you look at the percentage of pyrethrins used in the direct topical application to cats and kittens, it is 0.075%.
Stating that synthetic pyrethroids can be toxic to cats is true (at a high exposure and dosage rate and directly treating a cat)
The best information I could find about pyrethroid dosage and feline toxicosis is at a 45% concentration. It is the equivalent of saying that taking Tylenol will kill you and omitting the fact that it takes a dosage greater than 7500mg in a single ingestion to cause this. The allowable dose is 1000mg every 6 hours (2 tablets). I would say that this is a pretty big over-exaggeration of fact with no practical merit.
Or, you can ... decline to let me, a stranger on the Internet, egg you on to an exercise in time-wasting, and you could say "I'm probably OK and I don't care about it that much." -Nisiprius

nbseer

Post by nbseer » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:38 pm

If you have ground cover, ivy, etc. growing alongside the foundation of your house rip it out. We had terrible mosquitoes, situation got better after I removed all the stuff growing low to the ground along the house.. mosquitoes breed and live in that stuff.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:45 pm

If you can't eliminate the sources, you can treat the entire area by spraying or use something like DEET to protect your person. Regardless, there will be some mosquitoes. Gimmicks like citronella candles and electric zappers are not very effective. Mosquitoes are drawn by the carbon dioxide that you exhale in addition to human skin.

If you have allergies, discuss with your doctor. There are effective, inexpensive medications for mild allergies such as loratadine available over the counter that your doctor might recommend.

Something else you might consider is natural pest control. Install bat and bird houses to attract species that eat a HUGE amount of bugs. Some can eat hundreds of insects per hour.
Last edited by Pajamas on Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

alec

Post by alec » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:47 pm

Traveller wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:55 pm
Ive had good luck throwing mosquito dunks everywhere there is standing water including gutters, hollows in trees, low spots, ponds, drainage fields, and certainly your neighbors tires... they release a bacteria into the water that is safe to the environment/pets/animals/people but kills mosquito larva.
The dunks worked for me as well. I put a few small buckets around my property with water and dunks in them. Noticeably less mosquitos.

Might also try to put a bat box up in a tree.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" - Upton Sinclair

downshiftme

Post by downshiftme » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:52 pm

Got a Mosquito Magnet (Patriot Plus) and we are running it all the time, on the border between us and the neighbor.
Mosquito Magnets, like attractive bug zappers, attract the bugs they intend to kill. Could yours be attracting bugs from other neighbor's yards to cross your yard to the magnet? Maybe add another magnet on the other side(s) to draw the pests away from your space instead of across it.

Flymore

Post by Flymore » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:10 pm

I've lived next to a "forested wetland" park for 25 years. There are huge ponds of standing water every spring. Once in awhile, I get a letter about draining standing water on my property and just laugh then throw it away. There is no standing water on my property, it's all in the park. During June the mosquitoes will swarm on you like nothing you can imagine. My mailman says how nice the woods look, yeah I say just don't go back there!
Many years ago my neighbor heard a noise next to his house, like a low mechanical whirling. We looked where it was coming from and it was a
battery powered vacuum box with a blood soaked rag on the intake side. I think the park service or health department put it there to measure mosquito level.
We've discussed moving several times because of the mosquitoes, but I love hiking in the woods. You have to keep moving!!! :D
They've tried everything, pellets dropped from helicopters in early spring many years ago. Heard that was really expensive so they stopped.
A few years ago there were guys with hip boot waders walking into my yard from the woods. Asked them what they were doing, they said they were volunteers putting pellets in the standing water and wanted to go to the neighbor's wetland. No idea what these pellets were or if you can get them.
I did get the mosquitoes repellent hooded coat for my wife and it did help.

The good news is this year the mosquitoes are much better. Not gone, but better. Not sure if it's a drought or the pellets but it's much better now. Good luck. :beer

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:13 pm

I don't know whether this is still done, but I know that at one time jurisdictions and neighborhoods would spray for mosquitos.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:21 pm

dm200 wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:13 pm
I don't know whether this is still done, but I know that at one time jurisdictions and neighborhoods would spray for mosquitos.
Still happens and increased in areas with West Nile and Zika viruses.

Numa

Post by Numa » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:35 pm

I have friends who have set up an oscillating fan on their patio. They cited a piece in the NY Times some that said mosquitos are very weak flyers and will not get at you if there is a fan blowing. I've not tried this myself but have been meaning to.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:39 pm

EHEngineer wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:35 pm
Stating that synthetic pyrethroids can be toxic to cats is true (at a high exposure and dosage rate and directly treating a cat)
Our cat will eat anything so we don't take any chances. When she was dropped off at the shelter she had Christmas tinsel hanging from her butt. We have lost dried flowers only to find them a couple of days later in the litter box. Don't get me started on tape. Don't know what it is about tape but leave it around and it is gone in a day.

I've found Deet works as well as anything on mosquitoes. Ticks are a discipline problem. Spray helps, high boots help. Nothing beats the discipline of a full body inspection.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:40 pm

Numa wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:35 pm
I have friends who have set up an oscillating fan on their patio. They cited a piece in the NY Times some that said mosquitos are very weak flyers and will not get at you if there is a fan blowing. I've not tried this myself but have been meaning to.
We do that. One high and one on the deck blowing under the table on the deck. It works fine in a small area where you have a power outlet.

Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:44 pm

If the mosquitoes have dramatically increased from prior years there is probably some (changed or new) area nearby where they are breeding in quantity.
Tires and such left out to collect rainwater could very well be the problem. Or a hidden cistern or drywell holding water on someone's property
Ugh! nasty bloodsuckers and a public health menace too!

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:49 pm

I used to live someplace (Tidewater Virginia where there was water everywhere) where you couldn't do anything outside because of them. We moved to the desert. Much better. What's interesting here is when you go camping with the scouts they all want to sleep outside the tents. NOBODY did that when I was growing up in Alaska. It was either raining or you were in a cloud of bugs. Sometimes both.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:52 pm

We got these things from Spartan Mosquito https://spartanmosquito.com/ this summer. They have been terrific. No bites or even sightings for the two of us. The friends who recommended them to us are also happy with theirs. Unbeknownst to us, DD and her husband also began using them and she reports their yard has been mosquito-free this summer as well.

I am certain that we will order them again next summer.

jjface

Post by jjface » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:08 pm

You sound like me. I hardly go out in the yard now. Ready to move.

I put some mosquito repellant on my arm and a second later a mosquito landed on it and bit me while I sprayed the other!

fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:13 pm

Thermacell.........excellent product. Been using them for 5-6 years with great results.

Couple of noteworthy points:

1). They only work well in a stationary setting...i.e., sitting on the deck or porch. Not at all effective if moving around in garden, lawn etc.

2). For maximum results, you might need 3 - 4 units and use them simultaneously. I have found this to be very effective because wind/breeze pattern tends to come from altering directions. I use a combination of small hand-held and lantern units.

3). Start them 15-20 minutes before you plan to be outside. By doing this, the units will be fully discharging.

https://www.amazon.com/Thermacell-MR-9W ... B01BHWCWF0

mouses

Post by mouses » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:21 pm

IMO wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:39 pm

Another thing that can help, if area allows, get a firepit or 2 and when you wanting to use the backyard, get that going and occasionally put in some greener wood/leaves because the smoke seems to keep them away.

Best of luck.
Then everyone within about a block's radius with asthma or other respiratory conditions will be hacking their lungs out.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:22 pm

Numa wrote:
I had a friend who tried it. He now has a fan for sale. I'm sure you could get a good deal on it. :twisted:
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:34 pm

jebmke wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:40 pm
Numa wrote:
We do that. One high and one on the deck blowing under the table on the deck. It works fine in a small area where you have a power outlet.
Mosquitos are attracted to carbon dioxide. A fan may have the effect of blowing it away from you. That is why mosquitos aren't as bad on windy days. It isn't because the wind is blowing them away it is because the wind is blowing the co2 that attracts them away from you.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:45 pm

Lots of good advice here but nothing is foolproof.

- get rid of any standing water. Go to the neighbor and tell your issue and see if he cooperates. If not agree call the local public health or applicable agency.
-Pay attention to gutters that they empty and aren't blocked
- get rid of as much ground clutter and vegetation as you can
- mosquitos tend to land and stay on the underside of low plant and ground cover leaves. As much as you can thin out will help
- you can get mosquito pellets from amazon for standing water you can't eliminate. Reviews seem to rate them highly.
- we have terminix mosquito control which uses a garlic sugar combination sprayed on backside of plant leaves that is supposed either kill them or render them harmless. They advertise it as 90% reduction. We have not gotten that good of results. Not sure if we will keep it. You can also buy it on amazon and do it yourself.
- we may try another pest control such as mosquito joe.
- from what I've read mosquito zappers are useless. Citronella candles are marginally effective.
- keep lawn relatively short.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:52 pm

I read that using zappers work on attracting more mosquitoes before killing them. I like to work in my gardens and look to eliminate them. Therefore, I am using insecticides as you can buy them in Home Depot or Lowes. using them twice in spring and summer will do the trick. I also apply Cutter to all bare skin before going out. I am not so much worried about mosquitoes but ticks which in the last years have added dangerous viruses they carry in our area, I also used Bio Safe which has only natural ingredients. I used it twice this year and notice very few insects, especially leaf tunneling nematodes in hostas became only a few. I also must use insecticides against insects damaging conifers, such as spider mites.

I noticed today (forgot to apply Cutter) that while painting my deck this noon I was not bothered by insects - perhaps they do not like the Behr deck paint smell. So all we have to do is paint the deck, the patio at the house entrance. Coating the driveway might also drive insects away, and you will have a nicer looking property.

acunn

Post by acunn » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:47 pm

Have you done any research on putting up bat houses? Amazing mosquito eaters!

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:36 pm

I use "Mosquito Barrier" which is concentrated garlic juice that I apply in a garden sprayer. Swarms of bugs visibly flee as I apply it.

I also cut the grass short to make it less bug friendly.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:39 pm

ClevrChico wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:36 pm
I use "Mosquito Barrier" which is concentrated garlic juice that I apply in a garden sprayer. Swarms of bugs visibly flee as I apply it.

Does that really work? We cut ours tall to make it less weed friendly and drought tolerant.

Teague

Post by Teague » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:09 pm

You could try flour.

I know of a real old-timer who would stand on his porch in the woods with a bag of ordinary flour, telling endless stories about the good old days.

When the mosquitoes would get thick he'd reach into the bag of flour, toss a bit into the air, quickly followed by a lit match.

**Boom!**

That would take care of the mosquito problem, for a while anyway, and his story would continue.
Semper Augustus

sevenseas

Post by sevenseas » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:15 pm

I'm having the exact same problem this summer. Want to avoid yard sprays for fear of killing beneficial insects, but none of the repellents I've tried (lemon eucalyptus oil, Off personal fan, Avon Skin So Soft) has been 100% effective. Out of desperation I just bought a "mosquito net outfit" from Hammacher Schlemmer. Still in the testing stages but so far, so good, except the hood is too short so requires some jerry rigging to keep the neck fully covered. Warning: you may be a neighborhood laughingstock if spotted in public!

Also: any room in your backyard to build a screened porch? This has been a lifesaver for me; I can read, eat, lounge "outside" all day, listening to the birds and watching the wildlife, with nary a mosquito in sight. Mine is even big enough to entertain (enough seating for 8). By far my favorite "room" in my house. Doesn't help with the gardening and playing Fetch with my dog though....

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:17 pm

jebmke wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:39 pm
ClevrChico wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:36 pm

Does that really work? We cut ours tall to make it less weed friendly and drought tolerant.
Short grass definitely helps. Bugs prefer longer grass and shady areas. I got the idea from a presentation by Merial on the topic of tick prevention in pets.

Of course, short grass burns out easier and won't choke out weeds.

donall

Post by donall » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:38 am

sport wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:50 pm
I second this.

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:42 am

I live in a rather high mosquitoes area of the country, and use seven on all my shrubs, and trees. Then a Bayer product on the grass. Both are hose end sprayers. Got rid of all the mosquitoes, and other insects that bug us. Any standing water, including bird baths, must be treated of be gone. You might find sources of standing water in the area. The blocked gutter check is great though.
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:44 am

acunn wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:47 pm
Have you done any research on putting up bat houses? Amazing mosquito eaters!
I like that ideal. Big bat fan here.
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

NoVa Lurker

Post by NoVa Lurker » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:07 am

denovo wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:53 pm
Call a pest and bug control company.....
I can't believe you are the only one who suggested this!

Our first year in our home in Northern Virginia, we could not use our backyard in July and August without getting devoured.

Our second year, we tried lots of DIY fixes, including candles, dunks, removing all standing water, etc. It helped a bit, but you still couldn't actually sit outside for very long without probably getting bit. We had our first baby and still never wanted to take him out back.

Our third year, we did a $150 Groupon for four mosquito treatments, which we scheduled once a month for May, June, July and August. Problem completely solved!

We have been getting professional mosquito treatments ever since. It costs around $200/summer now. Our kids play in the backyard non-stop in the summer now, we have dinners on our back patio, we grill all the time, and we never get bitten -- at least, not in our yard....

Years ago, we got estimates for a screened-in porch. The cheapest was $18k, for a very bare-bones porch. That's 90 years of mosquito treatments!

bltkmt

Post by bltkmt » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:21 am

In our area (CT), there is a service called Mosquito Squad - it is franchised I think. For a fee, they come regularly and spray your yard during the season. Works very well, and has made our deck usable again.