dresser for an adult?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
aquamarine

dresser for an adult?

Post by aquamarine »

I'd like to buy a dresser for an adult. I've been reading reviews online, and they haven't been good. Lots of complaints about dresser drawers not sliding in and out well, or drawers not being deep enough, or just not well constructed. Honestly, I thought it would be easier to buy a dresser than this.

The easiest thing would be for me to just order something online. If you could recommend some place that sells a decent dresser, I'd really appreciate it. I don't need fancy, just a functional dresser, with good enough drawer space that actually has drawers that slide well.
celia

Re: dresser for an adult?

Post by celia »

Do you have an unfinished furniture store near you? The furniture in my closest store is very well made and not very expensive and is already assembled. You can stain/paint it yourself or have the store do it for an extra cost. I would rather look at furniture in person than buy online since a dresser will be around for a while.
Topic Author
aquamarine

Post by aquamarine »

I used to but it unfortunately closed. I would buy at such a store so good idea but unfortunately the store went out of business! Thanks though
daveydoo

Post by daveydoo »

aquamarine wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:02 amIf you could recommend some place that sells a decent dresser, I'd really appreciate it. I don't need fancy, just a functional dresser, with good enough drawer space that actually has drawers that slide well.
Vintage furniture store would have exactly what you need. They're practically free -- no one wants big case goods. When we just emptied a relative's apartment, there were lots of high-end mid-century solid black walnut dressers and we couldn't even give them away. (Too big for us to move.) Nearly all of our nicer furniture has come from "antique" stores that are actually just vintage -- they bring over a shipload of European furniture from like the 20s to the 40s. Nice wood or veneer, dovetails, lots of character but not shabby. If you were in my city, I could tell you where. I'm sure every metro area has one.

For new and no-frills and functional, try Ikea or Dania or even Ethan Allen (in ascending order of price). But, for a higher echelon chest, most assembled well-made hardwood stuff from a catalog will be >> $1K and delivery can add another 25%.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

Best bet is find something on Craigslist. I've purchased some nice stuff on there for next to nothing. The older, the better when it comes to construction!
Tamarind

Post by Tamarind »

I love this place and have a dresser made by them: https://www.thisendup.com

I also liked that they are made in NC, the pine was local wood, and I was able to drive 40 mins down to the factory and load into a truck so I could pay no shipping. Those extra attractions may not apply to you.

The furniture is very solidly built, in fact it's quite heavy because every bit is solid wood. The design is not graceful at all but very very durable and simple. I've encountered furniture made by them in the 80s and the hinges, slides, and other hardware act like new.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

It depends what you want but I have 20 year old Ikea dressers in my closet. They've been through 4 moves and serve their purpose well (deep, wide drawers). Something like an Nordli or Hemnes in their current line. My experience with the more expensive lines at Ikea is that they hold up perfectly fine if they are assembled correctly and not abused but it is a certain style you have to like or at least be OK with. It's a practical choice. Lower priced lines have cardboard and very lightweight wood products which I would not buy.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

I use 3 Sterilite modular plastic drawers stacked on top of one another to keep my clothes organized. They fit in the closet under my hanging shirts. Inexpensive, water proof, easily replaceable, low profile, easy to move since they weigh nothing, and durable - I've had mine for over 15 years. I think I bought them at Target.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

How about estate sales in your area? If you have a vehicle which can be used to haul furnitue, you can fond beautiful pieces of solid wood furniture.
Last edited by Dottie57 on Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Runner01

Post by Runner01 »

Thrift store/Salvation Army, just make sure you vacuum/clean outside and inside.

Paying more than $10-$20 for a dresser just seems pointless to me but YMMV.
mouses

Post by mouses »

+1 for old stuff. Rant about decline in quality.

I have bought several pieces of Cushman Colonial furniture through ebay, including a bed and a table. There are people there who specialize in selling Cushman, including jwb213, and arrange shipping.

If you do buy Cushman, be sure you get a piece with its original finish.
Topic Author
aquamarine

Post by aquamarine »

Thanks everyone!
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

Ikea!

Bought a full size dresser for my kiddo, it is holding up very well. Previous dresser was small and drawer bottoms kept falling out. No issues with one from Ikea. I just wish I had purchased one for my bedroom. Closest Ikea is a couple hours away, I only purchase from them when traveling in that area.

Price was reasonable, it has been a few years but I think it was around $280.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Estate sale or consignment store.

I bought my near antique dresser about 45 years ago at an estate sale for $50. It's a pain to move (heavy), but a joy to use.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Antiques store. Just read an article about how antiques dealers are going bankrupt these days because Millennials don't want old furniture. That means there are great deals to be had on old furniture. Aside from that, you'll have to go high end for quality. Quality new furniture is made of hardwood and is expensive. Stay away from the Ashleys, the Rooms-to-Go, etc. When you purchase, check the drawer corners for dovetail joints. If they're glued or stapled, it's junk.
Topic Author
aquamarine

Post by aquamarine »

Thank you!