Any good resources on how to learn to be a Google Sheets (Excel) expert?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
lightheir

Post by lightheir » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:29 am

Just for my own curiosity's sake - I've used Excel and more recently Google sheets quite a lot in my prior life as a biologist so am very familiar with the basics, def better than average on the more advanced stuff, but am pretty unfamiliar with the more complex stuff like advanced pivot tables and database integration.

I don't have any particular project in mind, but it would be a hobby with unexpected side benefits that I could delve into in the small moments of downtime between work. If there's any skill in the computer world that I've found surprisingly useful, it's been everything I've done and learned regarding spreadsheets. Not saying I'll go all the way deep with this, but I do like playing with spreadsheets and have various things ranging from finances, workout data, etc., that all play well with more sophisticated spreadsheet use.

mptfan

Re: Any good resources on how to learn to be a Google Sheets (Excel) expert?

Post by mptfan » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:43 am

I am a former Excel user and I switched to using Google Sheets several years ago. I also like playing with spreadsheets, not just for financial data, but for general personal use as well. I have found that if you know how to use Excel, most of that knowledge transfers well to Sheets because the functions and features are very similar. In some ways I think Sheets is better than Excel, and in others, not as good. For example, Sheets shines when it comes to accessing a spreadsheet from multiple devices at multiple locations because everything is saved in the cloud....it's not saved locally and synced to the cloud, it's actually saved in the cloud, and that makes all the difference. You can even have two people working on the same spreadsheet at the same time and the changes are updated in real time for both people. That's amazing to me. And you don't have to constantly click "save" to save your work, all changes are automatically saved. Sheets is not as good as Excel with some advanced features, but I don't use those advanced features so it hasn't been an issue for me, it may be an issue for someone who needs or uses those advanced features. I have come to really like using Sheets and I don't see myself going back to Excel.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:46 am

If you like online learning you can go to www.coursera.org and type in "Excel". Lots of different classes - most free.

bmelissa545

Post by bmelissa545 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:43 am

You gotta check out Lynda . com. When I was in school and needed help on my Excel course I used it all the time. They have tutorials for every single function you can think of. Good luck!

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:31 pm

bmelissa545 wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:43 am
You gotta check out Lynda . com. When I was in school and needed help on my Excel course I used it all the time. They have tutorials for every single function you can think of. Good luck!
What is the cost, after the "free, 30-day trial period"?

It looks interesting, but I want to avoid going down a "rabbit hole" by starting the registration process

Thanks

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:31 pm

Duplicate, deleted

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:06 pm

I don't do that much with Sheets, but when I run into a problem I usually go to Youtube and find some good videos there. Just a search for google sheets tutorial brings you this:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... orial+2017
and of course you could always search for your specific question.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:18 pm

Not sure what you mean by "database integration" but way too many people try to build databases in Excel. If its a true database app with relational tables, etc. start with Access. Not the greatest app for large numbers of users on a network, etc. but a good place to start.

dbr

Post by dbr » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:20 pm

I have spent five decades fairly routinely immersed in computation for reasons both professional and personal. I think the only actual course I took in anything was an actual semester course in Fortran programming at the beginning of my graduate school tenure. I am not sure to this day if that was a good thing or a totally irresponsible way to approach the problem. At the same time the vast majority of expertise applied over my whole career and in personal life has not come from any particular "course of study" as it were. Anyway I am afraid I have not got a good suggestion for you.

dbr

Post by dbr » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:21 pm

pshonore wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:18 pm
Not sure what you mean by "database integration" but way too many people try to build databases in Excel. If its a true database app with relational tables, etc. start with Access. Not the greatest app for large numbers of users on a network, etc. but a good place to start.
Yes, Access was a tool that I learned to use at a certain point. Getting the idea of a relational database and actually creating and using one for real work was interesting and helpful to some people that needed it at the time.

MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:49 pm

If you learn by reading, check out books by Bill Jelen or John Walkenbach. I have the e-book of Power Excel with MrExcel by Bill Jelen checked out from my library right now. I plan on ordering John Walkenbach's Excel 2016 Formulas, and Excel 2016 Pivot Table Data Crunching by Bill Jelen and Michael Alexander. They have good reviews and are the things I'm interested in learning more about.
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.

mortalsonofmortal

Post by mortalsonofmortal » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:08 pm

Here is a link to beginner tutorial.
https://zapier.com/learn/google-sheets/ ... -tutorial/
sheets has its own documentation that pops up when you type a formula. I use that extensively. Best way to be an expert is by trying to create complex sheets. Here is an assignment to get started. Create your networth tracker in google sheets. dynamically import stock prices by scraping sites like google finance or nasdaq. if you own a home scrap zillow or redfin estimate using importxml formula. Create charts and graphs with your networth data.

In short, spend more time hands on, spend time in google sheets support forums and stack overflow to clarify doubts etc.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:19 pm

I would start here and choose one that is appealing:

https://www.google.com/search?q=google+ ... how+to+use

c078342

Post by c078342 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:43 pm

Why would you not just stick with Excel? With which you express some expertise. Nobody in the real world uses sheets. Are you balking at the cost? Office 365 is $99/year for 5 computers. Includes Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access, among other things. It's a bargain. I'm a big fan of Excel, did pretty much everything using it for 10s years as Project Mgr in the aerospace industry -- both data analysis and dollars & dates mgmt. Now retired but do our finances, etc. everyday using Excel.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:09 pm

c078342 wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:43 pm
Nobody in the real world uses sheets.
In the aerospace industry Excel may be used without exception, but that is not necessarily true in the rest of the "real world". Lightheir specifically stated that he used Google Sheets in his previous work as a biologist "quite a lot".

I use it, too, on at least a weekly basis, as many other people that I know prefer it and use it regularly. It definitely meets my needs and I like the simplicity of the user interface and how well it works with Google Drive.

bmelissa545

Post by bmelissa545 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:09 am

rjbraun wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:31 pm
bmelissa545 wrote:

It looks interesting, but I want to avoid going down a "rabbit hole" by starting the registration process

Thanks
Actually I don't know the cost, I'm sorry. We had it as a free resource as a student. If you know someone with an .edu email address maybe it's still possible to register as a student and get it free/ or for a discount. Either way, I think the tutorials are worth paying for!

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:56 am

Pajamas wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:09 pm
c078342 wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:43 pm
Nobody in the real world uses sheets.
In the aerospace industry Excel may be used without exception, but that is not necessarily true in the rest of the "real world". Lightheir specifically stated that he used Google Sheets in his previous work as a biologist "quite a lot".

I use it, too, on at least a weekly basis, as many other people that I know prefer it and use it regularly. It definitely meets my needs and I like the simplicity of the user interface and how well it works with Google Drive.
I'll bet Excel is still the "goto" app in Corporate America. After all, they've been developing apps in Excel since the late 1980's and a lot of them used Lotus 123 before that. Those apps as well as the many word processors were probably the main reason for the initial success of PCs.

windrose

Post by windrose » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:25 pm

rjbraun wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:31 pm
bmelissa545 wrote:

Thanks
A lot of public libraries also offer Lynda access for free, so check on your library's web site. Unfortunately, mine is not one of them...however, a poster here (can't recall who) once mentioned that anyone in the country can join the Brooklyn Public Library for $50 per year. It looks like Brooklyn offers Lynda for free.

I have not joined yet, but I plan to, both for this and their generous collection of e-books. I am a big believer in public libraries, so I will consider it a donation with benefits.

Oddlot

Post by Oddlot » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:11 pm

I thought I knew Excel pretty well but I found that a class at the local junior college introduced me to a a lot of features. Having exams forces you to keep up with it.

You also might want to look into a programming class for Office applications. That's when Excel really gets fun!

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:44 pm

pshonore wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:56 am
I'll bet Excel is still the "goto" app in Corporate America. After all, they've been developing apps in Excel since the late 1980's and a lot of them used Lotus 123 before that. Those apps as well as the many word processors were probably the main reason for the initial success of PCs.
I don't disagree at all but that does not mean that "Nobody in the real world uses sheets."

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:58 pm

I knew Google has a tutorial on Sheets. I have not tried it. Here is the link, as well as some others (not tried):
https://gsuite.google.com/learning-cent ... ts/sheets/
https://gsuite.google.com/learning-cent ... t-started/
https://www.gcflearnfree.org/googlespreadsheets/
http://meta-guide.com/videography/100-b ... ial-videos
https://zapier.com/learn/google-sheets/ ... -tutorial/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTgvX5MLPC8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnwCT-4MwJY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeT2ZmU2O9Y
https://www.smartsheet.com/essential-go ... t-tutorial

"Why Choose Google Sheets Over Excel?

Given that Google sheets is a relative newcomer to the spreadsheet product category, it’s helpful to look at the reasons users initially try and eventually choose it over an established offering like Excel.

First and foremost, it’s free: You will never need to purchase any software licenses, pay any subscription fees, or hire an IT consultant to configure, deploy, or maintain it. Note: Sheets is also included in Google’s G Suite, which is a subscription-based service for businesses.

Easy collaboration: It’s easy to share files, and users can all work on the same spreadsheet simultaneously. To contact a collaborator, either chat live within a spreadsheet, or leave a comment for review.

It’s cloud-based: Because files can be edited, viewed, and shared by users anytime and from any device, Google Sheets provides a “single version of the truth” to help avoid communication or version-control issues among collaborators and teams.

Importing data is easy: Pull in information from other Google services, or directly from the web.

Running scripts is simple: Use Java-based Google Apps Scripts and easily connect to APIs.

Reference previous revisions with one click: Find out which users have edited a file, along with the edits each has made.

It works with Excel: Google Sheets lets users open Excel files, and convert them to Google Sheets, and vice versa."

c078342

Post by c078342 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:44 pm

I don't disagree at all but that does not mean that "Nobody in the real world uses sheets."
Didn't want to pick a fight. The original poster indicated he had used sheets in an academic environment -- this is NOT the real world. Corporations are not going to use free software because of security concerns. And ignoring that, why use inferior software?
I stand by my initial response that Office 365 for $100 for 5 computers per year is a steal. Cable, cell phones, cost much more.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:24 pm

I may be showing my age (non-millennial-ness?) but I always learned from books. Before Amazon I would browse the appropriate section of Borders or Barnes and Noble.

You can get books on a specific database manager (e.g. Microsoft Access) or a database standard (e.g. SQL).
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

ThriftyPhD

Post by ThriftyPhD » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:19 pm

c078342 wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:44 pm
Didn't want to pick a fight. The original poster indicated he had used sheets in an academic environment -- this is NOT the real world. Corporations are not going to use free software because of security concerns. And ignoring that, why use inferior software?
I stand by my initial response that Office 365 for $100 for 5 computers per year is a steal. Cable, cell phones, cost much more.
An academic environment isn't the real world?

There are benefits of using google docs and sheets. Mainly the versioning and sharing makes it REALLY easy to collaborate. Gotta hate those 40 message deep email chains of different versions of excel and word docs.

If you use Office every day all day, $100/year isn't bad. If you use it once a month, it's a waste. Don't compare it to cable or a cell phone. Compare it to a single channel on TV, or a single app on your cell phone. If you rarely watch that channel, or rarely use that app, $100/yr is outrageous.

ThriftyPhD

Post by ThriftyPhD » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:22 pm

lightheir wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:29 am
Just for my own curiosity's sake - I've used Excel and more recently Google sheets quite a lot in my prior life as a biologist so am very familiar with the basics, def better than average on the more advanced stuff, but am pretty unfamiliar with the more complex stuff like advanced pivot tables and database integration.

I don't have any particular project in mind, but it would be a hobby with unexpected side benefits that I could delve into in the small moments of downtime between work.
Everyone learns differently, but my advice is to first pick a project, and then learn the tools necessary to complete the project. If you have something as part of your job, this is great. Otherwise, a good book or a class will often use example projects/problems that you can work through. This focuses your tasks and gets you to work through any hard/boring parts.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:08 pm

c078342 wrote:
You seem to think that only corporate America is "the real world." You may not realize that many corporations do use Google sheets, especially as part of the G Suite package. https://gsuite.google.com/

The initial post clearly indicated that he used it in an academic environment and wants to use it now for personal purposes, specifically mentioning tracking workouts and his finances. Its use or non-use in corporations is irrelevant to him.

Google Sheets is superior, not inferior, for some purposes. Another poster has already posted some real advantages of it. Another one is that it doesn't suffer from being overcomplicated like Excel. It has a clean interface, is easy to use, and does what most people need it to do, very well. Because it is based in the cloud, it is accessible from almost any computer, tablet, or smartphone connected to the internet, regardless of the operating system. No worries about compatibility or sharing a spreadsheet with someone who then has trouble with it because they are on a different system or have a different version of Excel.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:46 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:08 pm
c078342 wrote:
You seem to think that only corporate America is "the real world." You may not realize that many corporations do use Google sheets, especially as part of the G Suite package. https://gsuite.google.com/

The initial post clearly indicated that he used it in an academic environment and wants to use it now for personal purposes, specifically mentioning tracking workouts and his finances. Its use or non-use in corporations is irrelevant to him.

Google Sheets is superior, not inferior, for some purposes. Another poster has already posted some real advantages of it. Another one is that it doesn't suffer from being overcomplicated like Excel. It has a clean interface, is easy to use, and does what most people need it to do, very well. Because it is based in the cloud, it is accessible from almost any computer, tablet, or smartphone connected to the internet, regardless of the operating system. No worries about compatibility or sharing a spreadsheet with someone who then has trouble with it because they are on a different system or have a different version of Excel.
I met a guy who worked for a consulting firm, helping companies implement Google Suite in an enterprise environment, so companies must be doing it. I think even some government agencies are using Google Suite.

totality

Post by totality » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:58 pm

There is also Libreoffice Calc, which is totally free and open source. I have used it for simple things and been quite happy with it. I would say it is not quite as user friendy as Google Sheets, but probably a little more powerful. Nowhere near as fully featured as Excel, of course, but for simple things it does not matter.

I would say the main reason to choose Libreoffice Calc vs Google Sheets is how you feel about the cloud aspect, as Libreoffice Calc is a traditional desktop application.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:31 pm

Members do not seem to understand the capabilities and penetration of the Google Suite:

There is an enterprise version of the Google Suite:

https://gsuite.google.com/

About Google Suite security in an enterprise environment:

https://gsuite.google.com/security/?sec ... ta-centers

Google Suite for government use:

https://gsuite.google.com/industries/government/

There are a lot of advantages to using Google over Microsoft products. It is not "inferior software" as stated above.