Photobucket - disappearing images and $$$ - has it affected you?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
F150HD

Photobucket - disappearing images and $$$ - has it affected you?

Post by F150HD » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:33 am

In late June 2017 and early July 2017 Photobucket started charging to link to your own images on their site. Took me off guard. I have images there but don't link to it often, did years back for a few things.

Issue to me is- on many bulletin boards I visit for different things, it has made many threads completely invalid as the pictures have now disappeared. An example from this board: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=224158&p=3463706#p3463706

I get that 'nothing is free' but if they were going to do this, why not do it from the beginning instead of switching mid-stream and invalidating potentially millions of websites around the globe?

wondering if anyone else here has been affected by this?

Photobucket Breaks Image Links Across the Internet

...But the new policy has also affected historical social media posts, blogs and forums that were reliant on Photobucket.
One of those affected is Stampboards, a forum with more than 17,000 members who discuss postage stamps and share images of them.
Many of its pages are now filled with Photobucket's upgrade demands instead of the photos of stamps it once showed.
"They are holding you to ransom," the site's administrator, Glen Stephens, told members, advising them not to pay the fee.
"You have no guarantee they will be in business... in a month the way this disaster is rolling out."

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-40492668

_

alfaspider

Re: Photobucket - disappearing images and $$$ - has it affected you?

Post by alfaspider » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:17 pm

I was impacted. I didn't mind my account going away so much (there are other options), but it was really unfortunate for a lot of the hobbyist forums out there. A lot of useful knowledge vanished.

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:23 pm

Yes - and as a result I deleted my PB account. Good riddance. I wouldn't mind paying - but that price was very unreasonable.

topper1296

Post by topper1296 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:56 pm

I received the same email and just deleted my account.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:56 pm

Meh, serving all those images cost them a fortune. I wasn't surprised. Seems like they are getting desperate.

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:01 pm

I don't see how they can recover as there are so many forums that now have broken links. The picture is great advertisement to stay away.

linenfort

Post by linenfort » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:11 pm

Yes, I've spent some time googling for the best inexpensive paid image hosting sites lately.
Is it too early for an all-bond-portfolio thread?

brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:15 pm

It affected both my own pictures and viewing experiences on several forums I visit. For me, it was only some memorial posts of friends/family that have passed, for sale posts, and then some demonstration/example posts. I only had maybe 75 of 300 uploaded images posted on boards.

For the other forums, countless how to posts, technical posts, demonstration posts, etc were ruined. Posts that individuals spent hours and days making.

Photobucket "broke the internet" with a simple no warning policy change. They are certainly well within their rights to do so, but wow at the effects.

I downloaded all my photos, closed my account, and have switched to Flickr. I already have a yahoo account, so Flickr was a no brainer for me.

omgbirdman

Post by omgbirdman » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:38 pm

Photobucket, much like Image Shack, has been obsolete for years. Not surprised to see them take another step in the wrong direction.

Soaker

Post by Soaker » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:38 pm

I downloaded some of the photos I had on Photobucket, and in a few cases will try to restore my posts in old threads by uploading the photos to Imgur and editing my posts to link from there. It's a lot of tedious work, though.

After I downloaded what I wanted I deleted the Photobucket account, and they can now feel free to jump off the nearest bridge.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:33 pm

At least when Google eliminated Picasaweb in favor of Google Photos, they allowed existing images to continue to link. This has got to be the beginning of the end of Photobucket.

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:43 pm

It is awful. There are so many DIY auto maintenance posts on various auto forums with great illustrative pictures that are now dead due to PB.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:30 pm

I gave up on Photobucket years ago after I and they got mixed up with my password, and there was no way giving me a new password.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:32 pm

alfaspider wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:17 pm
I was impacted. I didn't mind my account going away so much (there are other options), but it was really unfortunate for a lot of the hobbyist forums out there. A lot of useful knowledge vanished.
+1

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:38 pm

omgbirdman wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:38 pm
Photobucket, much like Image Shack, has been obsolete for years. Not surprised to see them take another step in the wrong direction.
"Pictures" are not obsolete. If they charged $$ from the get-go, fine, most folks would have went elsewhere, but to suddenly do it 'now', destroying many of the images used on BBs worldwide is very shortsighted. Like some 18 year old at the helm making decisions not realizing the impact it will have.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:39 pm

sschoe2 wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:43 pm
It is awful. There are so many DIY auto maintenance posts on various auto forums with great illustrative pictures that are now dead due to PB.
EXACTLY. And as someone who visits and uses those forums, its a very sad day. Even threads I personally started with how-to pictures are now useless. Years of it, gone.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:52 am

I'm impacted on another forum I participate on but its lower-tier was a free service and I knew it could go away at anytime. (Even pay-for services like this can go away at anytime).
Any site that has a large reliance on images (maybe the mechanics or stamp-collectors sites mentioned) should probably consider doing their own image hosting instead of relying on members to piggy-back on someone else's service.

hightower

Post by hightower » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:15 am

Definitely was disappointed. I agree that I wouldn't have minded paying a little, but to go from free to $400/year is absurd. If they would have been more reasonable to start like say $20/yr for those who already use the service, it would have kept me around. I don't see how they'll recover from this. No one is using that site any more.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:30 am

F150HD wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:38 pm
omgbirdman wrote:
"Pictures" are not obsolete. If they charged $$ from the get-go, fine, most folks would have went elsewhere, but to suddenly do it 'now', destroying many of the images used on BBs worldwide is very shortsighted. Like some 18 year old at the helm making decisions not realizing the impact it will have.
I don't understand this argument. Are you saying PB has an obligation to continue losing money just because it inconveniences you? To continue losing money out of fear of inconveniencing somebody who isn't even your customer sounds like something an 18 year old would do. This seems like the opposite. Businesses change business models all the time. Often it disrupts existing customers. This business doesn't owe you anything.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:09 am

KyleAAA wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:30 am
F150HD wrote:
omgbirdman wrote:
I don't understand this argument. Are you saying PB has an obligation to continue losing money just because it inconveniences you? To continue losing money out of fear of inconveniencing somebody who isn't even your customer sounds like something an 18 year old would do. This seems like the opposite. Businesses change business models all the time. Often it disrupts existing customers. This business doesn't owe you anything.
"There were no announcements, no emails warning people that it was about to happen and more importantly, no explanation.
"Bulletin boards across the globe are being crippled as previously vibrant threads with detailed images are disappearing.
"People who have used Photobucket for hosting these images successfully for over 10 years are finding that they will have to literally start again with what for some, amounts to a lifetime's work."

You mean the business doesn't owe these people anything. Tell them, not me.

FlyingMoose

Post by FlyingMoose » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:01 am

I completely blame the forum owners, and I think that if an owner doesn't want to allow uploads, they shouldn't allow images at all. If they won't/can't/don't know how to allow image uploads, then they have no business running a forum.

I don't understand why so many forums don't let you upload pictures, they just tell you that you're on your own or even recommend some site like photobucket. I ran a forum about 20 years ago that supported uploading back then, so you can't tell me it's because of the forum software.

Can forum owners really not afford to host a few images, even with fairly cheap unlimited-bandwidth hosting accounts available?

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:04 am

Yes, I had photos posted on a few sites that no doubt have been affected. Fortunately they were not anything truly important. I did download all of my photobucket photos from the site a few months ago to make sure I still have them for future use.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:00 am

F150HD wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:09 am
KyleAAA wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:30 am
F150HD wrote:
omgbirdman wrote:
"There were no announcements, no emails warning people that it was about to happen and more importantly, no explanation.
"Bulletin boards across the globe are being crippled as previously vibrant threads with detailed images are disappearing.
"People who have used Photobucket for hosting these images successfully for over 10 years are finding that they will have to literally start again with what for some, amounts to a lifetime's work."

You mean the business doesn't owe these people anything. Tell them, not me.
Send them here and I will. There is a 100% chance this will happen eventually no matter which photo sharing service you use. No company stays in business forever.

Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:27 am

I saw that popup and I have a paid account, 2gig AD free, had it for many years. It was about $30 a year. I don't see the 2gig plan offered, it appears it will cost $400 to be able to post pictures when I'm due to renew. Photobucket will now go the way of Quicken, if it's brown flush it down. $400 is totally ridiculous unless one is making money posting pictures.
Goodby bear.

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:17 am

I avoid any and all subscription services (photos or otherwise) because it's inevitable the company will screw you change their policy to benefit themselves, not the user.

I own my own computer, my own operating system (Linux) and my own photos (on hard drive and backup disks). If I want to post photos, I use whatever image host allows it to be done for free and without registering. I know the image host will eventually change their policies, and I'll just move on to another free image host that doesn't require registration. I consider any images I post ephemeral.

True, the loss of instructive photos that have been uploaded to forums is a sad thing to see, and Photobucket has been the most egregious about their policy change -- enough to cause them to go out of business due to their tone-deaf approach to customer relations.

But that can be a reminder that good "verbal" instructions in how-to forums are a good back-up if photos are eventually lost.

Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:05 pm

Do those on the free plan have to pay to get back into their accounts?

telemark

Post by telemark » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:50 pm

Given notice, it would have been straightforward--not easy, but straightforward--for a site to migrate all its Photobucket images. Scan for all references to photobucket, download the image for each link and update the link to refer to the new location. Now this is no longer possible, and the burden is on individual users who probably don't remember what sites they've posted images on. Certainly Photobucket has the right to change its policies, but choosing to do it this way is just a giant [not allowed on Bogleheads] to the internet at large.

Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:52 pm

I looked into this and what Photobucket is doing is genius. The reason for the $400 price is they only want to host commercial users. Many eBay sellers and "professional" blogers are paying up. It makes them look broke or cheap with the Photobucket picture ruining the layout of the site. They don't want the $30 a year user like myself. I can still hotlink until December 31. Them not warning people is the extortion part. I never got a notice, only the popup when I logged in. I still would not know if it wasn't for this site.

Soon this will be a Photobucket add.

22twain

Post by 22twain » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:56 pm

For a total of about $50 per year, you can buy your own domain name and a basic website-hosting service plan. Put up some simple web pages with your images and you can hotlink to them from forums etc. If you have even just a smidgen of coding ability, it takes only a small bare-bones subset of HTML to do this. The pages won't look flashy but they'll get the job done. Otherwise I'm sure there are plenty of image-gallery scripts out there. You can even use WordPress if you want to spend the time to learn its features and how to set it up.

Technically you can simply upload the images and link to them from elsewhere, but I suspect most web-hosting providers have a similar clause to mine in their terms of service, requiring images and other media to be part of your web site. They don't want to be used as file-storage services. I do occasionally upload a few images purely for external hotlinking, but they're a tiny fraction of the images on my site so they fly "under the radar" so to speak.

Keep a backup copy of the site on your own computer. If you run into problems with your web-hosting provider, you can get a new provider, upload the backup there, and point the domain name to the new location. All the old URLs will continue to function except maybe for a brief glitch during the transition period.

One catch: people can trace hotlinked images back to your site by following the URL. If you post personal financial information here, and use your site to host images, you should make your site as anonymous as possible. Don't put traceable personal information on your site, just as you wouldn't post it here. Choose a suitably anonymous domain name. Pay a few dollars extra to your domain registrar for "domain privacy" service so people can't find out who owns your domain name by doing a whois lookup.

My site is easily traced to me because of its content, so I wouldn't use it for hosting images for here. I don't know what I'd do at this point.
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.