Miles Davis: Kind of Blue - Question for Jazz experts

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
angelescrest

Miles Davis: Kind of Blue - Question for Jazz experts

Post by angelescrest » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:41 pm

Dear jazz experts. I know nothing about jazz. What I do think, however, is that the acoustic jazz in Kind of Blue is the perfect album for me. I find it incredibly enjoyable, and useful, in my daily life.

Considering this, can you recommend another album that you think I would enjoy? I'm looking for something that makes me feel the same way, and that I can also enjoy. I listen to Kind of Blue so much, I'm afraid it'll get old (though it hasn't yet). I'd consider exploring more Miles Davis, but I understand he's had some radical transformations throughout his career, and I'm not quite yet at a place where I want to explore that. But I do want to explore more in the vein of what Kind of Blue is. I know, this also happens to be the most commercially successful jazz album, but I still love it nonetheless. I'd appreciate any recommendations.

Alexa9

Re: Miles Davis: Kind of Blue - Question for Jazz experts

Post by Alexa9 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:00 pm

Taste in music is somewhat subjective but I think you might like these:
Dexter Gordon - The Classic Blue Note Recordings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8YaKKZ ... 0c&index=2
John Coltrane - Blue Train
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwjoPY8oPo8
I also suggest the Coffee Table Jazz playlist on Spotify
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT1rBAWB_I4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx2Q1Vx_mrY

r60rider

Post by r60rider » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:08 pm

I am not an expert, but have been collecting and listening to jazz for 40 years.
I would give the following suggestions for delving further into ground breaking recordings by the great Miles Davis
Miles Smiles
Seven Steps to Heaven
Porgy & Bess (music of Gershwin)
Sketches of Spain

Enjoy!

teniralc

Post by teniralc » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:19 pm

Somethin' Else by Cannonball Adderley, specifically the tune, Autumn Leaves on this album. Also, you might explore various albums by pianist, Bill Evans. Miles Davis sought his talents when making Kind of Blue to help create a more "modal" approach to playing over chord changes. This was a notable difference in approach from pianists that Miles previously worked with. One of my favorite Evans albums is Spring Leaves, but there are many. He was incredibly consistent and many of his albums are superb. You might also try some Chet Baker albums. Stan Getz is another. Two nice Getz albums are: Stan Getz & Bob Brookmeyer - Recorded Fall 1961 and Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto.

Dantes

Post by Dantes » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:21 pm

Also no expert. But try recordings by Bill Evans; he was pianist on Kind of Blue, and released quite a few recordings with trios or as solo pianist. His solo of "Never Let Me go" on his album Alone is one of my all time favorites.

Chadnudj

Post by Chadnudj » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:21 pm

If you love Miles Davis and Kind of Blue, I'd definitely suggest moving on with the following artists:

Dave Brubeck - Time Out (although really just go for Greatest Hits, which will get you the best of Time Out plus some of Brubeck's cool stuff like his jazz interpretations of West Side Story)

John Coltrane -- Blue Train, or A Love Supreme, or My Favorite Things....really there is a ton of excellent Coltrane out there.

Thelonious Monk - Brilliant Corners is excellent, Genius of Modern Music Vols 1 and 2, Theloneous Monk Trio, Monk's Music, Solo Monk....man was a genius.

Also, check out the Smithsonian Collection of Classic Jazz -- 6 CDs/LPs with a booklet that walks through a huge swath of jazz history, from Scott Joplin and Jelly Roll Morton all the way up through some avant garde Ornette Coleman. It's an excellent intro to a lot of different jazz artists.

Hyperborea

Post by Hyperborea » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:22 pm

Charles Mingus
- Ah Um

Stan Getz
Oscar Peterson
- Stan Getz and the Oscar Peterson Trio

Dave Brubeck
- Time Out
- It's a bit more lively, a little less mellow, but really good.

Re: Chet Baker suggestion
He's great and I like his music but he's awfully sad. Just his voice alone is pretty sad but his life too was pretty sad.
"Plans are worthless, but planning is everything." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:48 pm

I really enjoy this album. It's instrumental - Jimmy Smith on the Hammond organ.

https://www.amazon.com/Talking-Verve-Ro ... B00000473F

Full disclosure: I'm no expert.

Raybo

Post by Raybo » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:00 pm

While not in the same style, you might try Duke Ellington. I find his orchestrations fabulous and his players top notch. His greatest hits CD is one I'd take to a desert island.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:25 pm

Easy - buy more Miles - I have yet to find a bad one. Also check out Chet Baker.

BBBob

Post by BBBob » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:41 pm

Chadnudj wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:21 pm
If you love Miles Davis and Kind of Blue, I'd definitely suggest moving on with the following artists:

Dave Brubeck - Time Out (although really just go for Greatest Hits, which will get you the best of Time Out plus some of Brubeck's cool stuff like his jazz interpretations of West Side Story)

John Coltrane -- Blue Train, or A Love Supreme, or My Favorite Things....really there is a ton of excellent Coltrane out there.

Thelonious Monk - Brilliant Corners is excellent, Genius of Modern Music Vols 1 and 2, Theloneous Monk Trio, Monk's Music, Solo Monk....man was a genius.
+1 on the foregoing!!!

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:16 am

Great suggestions above- eg chadnudj's suggestions. Here are a few others to add to the list.

Kind of Blue was a pivotal album re: exploration of modal approaches to improvisation. It was a perfect place to start.

I would definitely add Sonny Rollins, Saxophone Colossus. I think you will love it. I would put that on the top of your list.

Sticking with Miles, you would probably enjoy In a Silent Way. It is very accessible.

Another good "jazz starter" album is the Koln Concert (Keith Jarrett).

And Mingus Mingus Mingus. Better Git it In Your Soul and Goodbye Pork Pie Hat will ....well, they will get in your soul.

For some outstanding renditions of jazz standards consider Dexter Gordon, Our Man in Paris.

"Best Of" albums are also a good way to begin exploring a particular artist.

You can listen to some tunes on Youtube from these albums and then decide what you want to buy. I could go on and on . Those are just a few that immediately come to mind.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:17 am

Sonny Rollins - Saxaphone Colossus.

Duke Ellington Live at Newport 1956 - Here's a link to a track called Diminuendo in Blue Crescendo in Blue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYgow060zOg

Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder.
Wiki

novicemoney

Post by novicemoney » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:41 am

DSInvestor wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:17 am
Sonny Rollins - Saxaphone Colossus.

Duke Ellington Live at Newport 1956 - Here's a link to a track called Diminuendo in Blue Crescendo in Blue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYgow060zOg

Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder.
I love both albums, The Sidewinder has a very catchy melody. Interesting story on the Ellington At Newport 1956. That track "Diminuendo in Blue and Crescendo in Blue" were 2 pieces with an intended sax solo as a bridge by Paul Gonzalves. Gonzlves let it rip for 27 choruses, whipping the crowd into a frenzy. Eyewitnesses tell of a pretty blonde lady in a black dress who got up and started dancing, which the crowd began to emulate. The promoter was afraid there would be a riot. Ellington's band was the last act for the night and people began leaving, but when they heard Gonzalves they began streaming back and pressing the stage. After the number was over the crowd did not want to leave and the Ellington band continued to play other numbers despite several attempts to end the performance This number and the sax solo is considered by many to be one of the most exciting live jazz performance recorded and revitalized Ellington's career to the end of his life.

The only problem is that Gonzalves played into the wrong mic(not the Columbia Records mic) and on the original Columbia album you can't hear him really good, although the recording is still exciting. The other mic was for The Voice of America which recorded the concert. A 1999 remaster spliced the tape recording from the Voice of America archives with the original album and you get a much stronger sounding recording of the famous solo.

As an aside, "Mingus at Antibes"(1974) is another live concert recording featuring the Charles Mingus Big Band. "Wednedsay Night Prayer Meeting" and "Better Git Hit In Your Soul" are highlight pieces. The performance is raw, a little wild but very exciting. Not as accessible as "Kind of Blue" but very interesting if you get into jazz a little more.

vtMaps

Post by vtMaps » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:56 am

protagonist wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:16 am
Sticking with Miles, you would probably enjoy In a Silent Way. It is very accessible.
+1
Also try Miles' "Someday my Prince Will Come"

--vtMaps
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true. --James Branch Cabell

angelescrest

Post by angelescrest » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:12 am

teniralc wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:19 pm
Somethin' Else by Cannonball Adderley, specifically the tune, Autumn Leaves on this album. Also, you might explore various albums by pianist, Bill Evans. Miles Davis sought his talents when making Kind of Blue to help create a more "modal" approach to playing over chord changes. This was a notable difference in approach from pianists that Miles previously worked with. One of my favorite Evans albums is Spring Leaves, but there are many. He was incredibly consistent and many of his albums are superb. You might also try some Chet Baker albums. Stan Getz is another. Two nice Getz albums are: Stan Getz & Bob Brookmeyer - Recorded Fall 1961 and Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto.
Thank you, this sounds like a fantastic recommendation, to go by way of his pianist. If there are numerous versions of Spring Leaves, let me know which one I should get.

angelescrest

Post by angelescrest » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:13 am

vtMaps wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:56 am
protagonist wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:16 am
+1
Also try Miles' "Someday my Prince Will Come"

--vtMaps
In A Silent Way, is it worth getting the complete sessions for 3x the cost, or just the original with two tracks?

angelescrest

Post by angelescrest » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:23 am

Blue Train is a great recommendation, though some of the tracks might be a lot faster than I am looking for. I recently got promoted and am working 2x as much, and so Kind of Blue has been a life saver, helping me concentrate at work while letting me keep my soul. The speed of the Blue Train samples I'm listening to forces me to follow intently along, whereas the opening track in Kind of Blue just melts my mind, transporting it into a creative space. Sorry if I sound like a heel; I really don't know much about jazz. I often listen to a lot of cinematic scores, but they are often too intense, and too melancholic. Can't say enough about how Kind of Blue helps me get into the perfect headspace.

Gonna go listen to some Evans now.

fishboat

Post by fishboat » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:01 am

angelescrest wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:41 pm
... I'd consider exploring more Miles Davis, but I understand he's had some radical transformations throughout his career, and I'm not quite yet at a place where I want to explore that. But I do want to explore more in the vein of what Kind of Blue is. I know, this also happens to be the most commercially successful jazz album, but I still love it nonetheless. I'd appreciate any recommendations.
I believe KOB is the best selling jazz album of all time. Not hard to grasp why, but for Davis, Evans, Coltrane...(sextet) it was just another recording session. The artists didn't know what they were going to play when they arrived at the studio...other than Davis & he had only general(yet specific) ideas of what would be explored. Davis relied on / expected the other artists to improvise(as he did) once he got them started. He only hired guys that had "it".

"Other albums" is a huge topic. The period to look for would be Bop, BeBop, Hard Bop, and Post Bop..roughly 1950 to the early sixties. This is golden age of jazz..it sounds as fresh today as it did when first published...though in the 50's this music must have sounded like it came from outer space. Much like various schools of painting (classical, realism, impressionism, post impressionist, dada, abstract expressionist...........) reacting to & rejecting the previous artistic style, the Bop period was a simplicity-improvisational reaction to the large, highly scripted, rigid structure of the big band era. As for 'other albums' you might want to visit the Audiogon or AudioCircle forums and search for KOB..you'll find very long threads that address your question in spades.

You may also want to follow the music of artists that Davis had in his groups..specifically Bill Evans, Coltrane, & Cannonball Adderley(as I remember, a former science teacher in Florida before he started playing full time). Don't miss Charles Mingus! Compare the style of Mingus to Evans...staccato vs fluid...both are incredible. Davis had a number of albums where he worked with Gil Evans..check those out.

Davis' styled changed with the times in the late-60's to mid 70's. Bop was over and he needed money so he went electric and 'hip'.

Lastly..you may want to listen to your own(created) Miles Davis/Bob 'stations' on Pandora or Spotify and jot down what you like. Amazon, Tower, Barnes & Noble, CDUniverse......... all have clips of each album/cd..buy CDs used, if you go the CD route.

Lastly, lastly..if you listen to this, or any real music, on a marginal audio system or in a compressed format, you're missing about 50% of the experience.

Steve723

Post by Steve723 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:32 am

What a delight it must have been for you to discover "Kind of Blue". It's a timeless piece of art that has withstood the test of time.

The prior posts offer some great recommendations. Let me offer you one I haven't seen anyone mention yet: "Clifford Brown and Max Roach". Whereas Jimmy Cobb (the drummer on KOB) was more subtle and in the background, which was appropriate for KOB, this album gives you a really nice feel for how bebop turned the drums into a lead instrument, with equal standing to the other instruments. And Clifford Brown....Wow! Such joy in his trumpet playing!

A few other comments:

- The Coltrane recommendations are great. If you like piano, McCoy Tyner was in his Classic Quartet and I absolutely LOVE his style. So while Coltrane may be the main act, please take the time to really focus on Tyner's piano work. His soloing in "Favorite Things" is just so beautiful.

- If you want something that is pretty easy to listen to with a great groove and not quite as "out there" as some of Davis or Coltrane's stuff, go get Oscar Peterson's Night Train. Just a fun album to listen to and Peterson was a virtuoso on piano.

- A lot of people recognize Herbie Hancock from the stuff he did in the 70s and 80s, but he started out in bebop and worked with Miles Davis. Check out "My Point of View", one of his first albums. Great stuff.

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:08 am

Create a Pandora Miles radio station and you are all set - you will discover some great stuff. Pandora has the best radio and I use both Pandora and Spotify premium accounts.

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:25 am

All above are excellent recommendations.
Check out these 2 pieces by Art Pepper to get a flavor for him:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_cyyKadNqV0

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zXNpG0w_rks

Enjoy

Dave

midareff

Post by midareff » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:41 am

YTou have been given some excellent, excellent albums to start with. To them I would add almost anything by Ben Webster.

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:36 pm

Great recommendations, though only one person mentioned Herbie Hancock, who played with Miles for a bit. Maiden Voyage by Herbie Hancock is a classic. http://www.bluenote.com/spotlight/herbi ... den-voyage. It's interesting also to see the musical progression of both Miles Davis and Hancock, though Hancock appears to have progressed to a wider audience base. Of course, Kind of Blue, the most played Jazz album, showcases Modal Jazz: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modal_jazz.

BTW, I have a Pandora station for Bill Evans; it's one of my favorites and great music.
Last edited by ChrisC on Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnonJohn

Post by AnonJohn » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:48 pm

Relative neophyte, but three thoughts:

1. I stand with everyone who recommended Mingus!
2. If you want to go earlier, into bebop (but after big band), I recommend Charlie Parker (aka "Bird").
3. Since you like Davis, I might check out Bitches' Brew. Utterly different, soaring, brilliant.

anonenigma

Post by anonenigma » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:34 pm

Barney Kessel The Poll Winners
Duke Ellington Piano in the Foreground
Roger Kellaway Cello Quartet

TSR

Post by TSR » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:52 pm

This is a wonderful question. If you like vocal stuff, I think the vocal equivalent of KoB might be the album Chet Baker Sings, which is one of the truly great jazz albums of all time (IMO), and not too terribly sad per above comment. Another favorite is the album John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman. Check out "You are too beautiful" on that album and you'll be better off for it. Good luck!

Steve723

Post by Steve723 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:02 pm

Note to all....Two Christmases ago my millennial nephew got a turntable from his parents (which I knew they were going to give him in advance), as listening to vinyl has made a comeback with a lot of younger folks. Knowing this, I gave him his first album, which was, you guessed it, Kind of Blue! It was the very first thing he played on his new turntable. He was absolutely floored. I just love the fact someone his age immediately gained an appreciation for a masterpiece.

montanagirl

Post by montanagirl » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:31 pm

I've looked all over but I don't think there's another like KoB. And yeah tempo has a lot to do with it.

But, follow the players..Bill Evans at the Vanguard, Jimmy Cobb and Wynton Kelly with Wes Montgomery, Smokin at the Half Note, and Coltrane's subsequent works.

That's as close as you can get imo.

pjtallman

Post by pjtallman » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:58 pm

Mingus -- East-Coasting
Monk -- Monk Coltrane at Carnegie Hall
Wes Montgomery -- Smokin' at the Half Note
Getz -- Essential Stan Getz, Bossa Nova
Pat Martino -- El Hombre
Parker -- Bird's Best Bop on Verve
Grant Green -- Idle Moments
Lee Morgan -- Cornbread, The Sidewinder

Case59

Post by Case59 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:10 pm

Two more suggestions (and apologies if these are redundant--I haven't read the thread carefully):

Getz/Gilberto (1964): Incredible jazz-bossa nova. Includes the most kick-ass version of "Girl from Ipanema" you may ever hear.
For some of Herbie Hancock at his finest, the soundtrack to Round Midnight (1986). (It was this movie that turned me onto jazz in the first place).

Also, dittos on Brubeck and Time Out. No jazz collection is complete without it, in my two cents.

Above all, have fun!
"Most quotations on the internet are incorrect."-Mark Twain

metacritic

Post by metacritic » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:10 pm

John Coltrane "crescent"
Coltrane with Johnny Hartman

And for Miles Davis albums with the same sound I'd suggest Sketches of Spain and Porgy and Bess.
Last edited by metacritic on Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikepru

Post by mikepru » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:11 pm

Try Ballads by John Coltrane. It's with McCoy Tyner and that quartet. Excellent!

Herbie Hancock--Maiden Voyage.

Getz/Gilberto

Dave Brubeck Time Out

Coltrane My Favorite Things

Paul Desmond--PD Quartet Live and PD with Gerry Mulligan--Two of a Kind. Paul played sax on Brubeck Time Out.

angelescrest

Post by angelescrest » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:39 pm

montanagirl wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:31 pm
I've looked all over but I don't think there's another like KoB. And yeah tempo has a lot to do with it.

But, follow the players..Bill Evans at the Vanguard, Jimmy Cobb and Wynton Kelly with Wes Montgomery, Smokin at the Half Note, and Coltrane's subsequent works.

That's as close as you can get imo.
Discovering KoB was truly magical. I found it by sheer accident, at an old music store (who still goes to those?), and just picked it off the shelf. And it's been so many years now, and I never tried anything else.

Your comments here are so helpful. Many of the other pieces I'm trying are brilliant, but tempo is too fast for what I'm looking for. Bill Evans complete village vanguard recordings I'm trying right now as you suggested, is really close--with the tempo I'm looking for, that magical piano, though definitely doesn't have the soulful longing that the trumpet and sax in KoB has. But please, tell me there's more like KoB--I could survive on that one album for the rest of my life. I would spend my whole IRA to be able to go back in time and listen to it live.

This quite a lovely journey of discovery. Thank you all so much for your recs. I'll report back on my findings.

trav867

Post by trav867 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:49 pm

Wayne Shorter- Speak No Evil

angelescrest

Post by angelescrest » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:03 pm

mikepru wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:11 pm
Try Ballads by John Coltrane. It's with McCoy Tyner and that quartet. Excellent!

Getz/Gilberto

Dave Brubeck Time Out

Paul Desmond--PD Quartet Live and PD with Gerry Mulligan--Two of a Kind. Paul played sax on Brubeck Time Out.
Okay, listening to Coltrane...Ballads is really close to what I'm looking for, but it feels, as the title would suggest, romantically suggestive. My Favorite Things, I am not into unfortunately, mainly because it's a take on music I am already familiar with.

I don't even know how to explain it, except to say that for these albums it makes me think like I am aware of what it is trying to make me feel. For me, KoB doesn't simply suggest an emotion, it just grabs me and I become a part of the music itself. Each time I listen, it's like a unique experience.

angelescrest

Post by angelescrest » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:07 pm

Wow, Coltrane's 1961 Naima (village vanguard) is incredible. What a work of art!

The Complete Columbia Recordings w Davis and Coltrane includes KoB, and is quite tempting with their '55-'61 collaborations. $40.

And "Sketches of Spain", it's so different from KoB but yet it is what I am looking for. Sheer genius.
Last edited by angelescrest on Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:26 pm

Maybe try Kenny Burrell's Midnight Blue

It's a laid-back guitar jazz that's very accessible. He's not in the same league as Miles Davis, but as one reviewer wrote: "The effect is a listener-friendly album with a tonally nuanced atmosphere easily shared between the jazz aficionado and the neophyte who just heard Kind of Blue for the first time; regardless of background, a smooth ride allows passengers to take in the scenic vistas."

angelescrest

Post by angelescrest » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:39 pm

Round Midnight sounds like it belongs on KoB.

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:44 pm

angelescrest wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:03 pm
mikepru wrote:

Getz/Gilberto

Dave Brubeck Time Out

Okay, listening to Coltrane...Ballads is really close to what I'm looking for, but it feels, as the title would suggest, romantically suggestive. My Favorite Things, I am not into unfortunately, mainly because it's a take on music I am already familiar with.

I don't even know how to explain it, except to say that for these albums it makes me think like I am aware of what it is trying to make me feel. For me, KoB doesn't simply suggest an emotion, it just grabs me and I become a part of the music itself. Each time I listen, it's like a unique experience.
Some of Art Pepper's work gives "the feel" of what you are looking for. My 2 favorite songs of Art Pepper are "Arthur's Blues" and "Patricia"
both on youtube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXNpG0w_rks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cyyKadNqV0

Dave

Case59

Post by Case59 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:53 pm

angelescrest wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:39 pm
Round Midnight sounds like it belongs on KoB.
:sharebeer
"Most quotations on the internet are incorrect."-Mark Twain

Fintechnick

Post by Fintechnick » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:36 pm

The 1970+ Miles Davis albums go in a completely different creative direction. All electronica. You might like it and you might not but it's definitely worth listening to them if nothing else you'll stretch your horizons.

For something more similar to Kind of Blue, try some other of the masterworks from the 1960's:

- Any 1960's or 1950's Miles Davis albums. Try the small group ones, but also the large-group ones with Gil Evans. "Porgy & Bess" and "Miles Ahead" are masterworks.

- Any of the Wayne Shorter albums from the 1960's. "JuJu." "Night Dreamer" "Speak No Evil" "Adams Apple

- Any Lee Morgan albums

- Any Horace Silver albums

- Anything John Coltrane

- Herbie Hancock -- though he is highly eclectic so you want want to start with accoustic / straight ahead albums. "Maiden Voyage" a good entree.

- Anything by Ahmad Jamal (though lots of his work is solo piano, so you'll quickly find out if you prefer small group vs. solo work by listening)

- Pretty much anything by Art Blakey and the Messengers, but especially albums from the 1960's

- Pretty much anything by Freddie Hubbard

- Ornette Coleman, start with "Shape of Jazz to Come"

- JJ Johnson

That's just the highlights from the 1960's (and excluding vocalists). Don't be afraid to also listen earlier (1920's through 1950's) as well as later (1970's to today). But 1960's is certainly a great place to start!

One very accessible and Boglehead way to start is a subscription to Apple Music. $10 / month for all-you-can-listen on any device. Also audio quality is fantastic, indistinguishable from CD on a good-quality rig or set of cans. I would have saved a lot of money over the years had this service been available much earlier.

Hyperborea

Post by Hyperborea » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:39 pm

Fintechnick wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:36 pm
One very accessible and Boglehead way to start is a subscription to Apple Music. $10 / month for all-you-can-listen on any device. Also audio quality is fantastic, indistinguishable from CD on a good-quality rig or set of cans. I would have saved a lot of money over the years had this service been available much earlier.
If you've got Amazon Prime then Prime Music is a no extra cost way to listen to a lot of music. There is plenty of jazz and blues that is available at no cost.
"Plans are worthless, but planning is everything." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:39 am

For mellow acoustic artsy jazz:
Coltrane- A Love Supreme, Crescent, and Ballads
Miles-look for anything by the Miles Davis Quintet, they are all from the same period as Kind of Blue and they are all great
Red Garland-anything
Bill Evans-anything

Dude2

Post by Dude2 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:17 am

angelescrest wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:03 pm
mikepru wrote:

Getz/Gilberto

Dave Brubeck Time Out

I'm not a fan of My Favorite Things either for those exact reasons (and it often gets recommended along with KoB), but I wouldn't throw out the baby with the bathwater, other suggestions for Coltrane here are excellent.

I've been a fan of George Benson's The Other Side of Abbey Road since high school (but that's not a particularly popular album). Just saying, sometimes a retake on the familiar is good.

matjen

Post by matjen » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:40 am

OP, I would strongly suggest Oliver Nelson's "The Blues and the Abstract Truth." I am declaring myself the winner in advance in satisfying/answering your question. :D Though I think Sketches of Spain is also a great suggestion and much of Bill Evans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do2jaCn4oW8
The album is an exploration of the mood and structure of the blues, though only some of the tracks are structured in the conventional 12-bar blues form. In this regard, it may be seen as a continuation of the trend towards greater harmonic simplicity and subtlety via reimagined versions of the blues that was instigated by Miles Davis's Kind of Blue in 1959 (Evans and Chambers played on both albums).

Among the pieces on the album, "Stolen Moments" is the best known: a sixteen-bar piece in an eight-six-two pattern, even though the solos are in a conventional 12-bar minor-key blues structure in C minor. "Hoe-Down" is built on a forty-four-bar structure (with thirty-two-bar solos based on rhythm changes). "Cascades" modifies the traditional 32-bar AABA form by using a 16-bar minor blues for the A section, stretching the form to a total of 56 bars. The B-side of the album contains three tracks that hew closer to the 12-bar form: "Yearnin'", "Butch and Butch" and "Teenie's Blues" (which opens with two 12-bar choruses of bass solo by Chambers).[6]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blues ... ract_Truth
Last edited by matjen on Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.

Blues

Post by Blues » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:50 am

Just home from a trip so I haven't had to read the other replies but off the top of my head:

Oliver Nelson: The Blues & The Abstract Truth

Grant Green: Idle Moments

Charles Mingus: Mingus Ah-Um

John Coltrane: Coltrane Plays The Blues or Lush Life

Thelonious Monk: Brilliant Corners or Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane

Bill Evans: Waltz For Debby

I saw out of the corner of my eye that someone also recommended Red Garland. Great choice as well. One of my all time favorites.

I could be here for hours...
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

Shemi

Post by Shemi » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:12 am

What a great thread! All mentioned are great!

If you want to try 21st Century Jazz Piano, I would recommend Hiromi, esp. the Brain and Move albums, but everything she does is great. Even better in concert; coming to SFJAZZ in Nov.

Bob Alou

Post by Bob Alou » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:23 pm

Vince Guaraldi Trio - Jazz Impressions of Black Orpheus/Cast Your Fate To the Wind.

drjazz

Post by drjazz » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:19 pm

Great suggestions on this thread! I'd add to them Winter Moon by Art Pepper (alto sax backed by strings)...you should also check out Bird With Strings (Charlie Parker)...if you want to sample one track, I'd suggest Just Friends.