Computer Backup Software With Accompanying External Drive

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ubermax

Computer Backup Software With Accompanying External Drive

Post by ubermax » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:06 pm

Does anyone know of a good drive with backup software that satisfies the following criteria :
(a) performs complete and incremental backups and
(b) allows files and folders to be viewed in a Windows Explorer type format so that , for example , an individual file can be copied to a memory stick .

Several years ago I had an Iomega Drive that did (a) well but , as I recall, individual files couldn't be moved or copied .

bighatnohorse

Re: Computer Backup Software With Accompanying External Drive

Post by bighatnohorse » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:29 pm

Here's the software part, Google it: GS RichCopy 360 Data Replication
One problem with drives is, for example, you buy a 3 Terabyte drive with software, only to find that Windows 7 and earlier drives use smaller sectors and the software accompanying the drive uses larger sectors and can't do the backup.

I downloaded the trial version of GS RichCopy 360 and it seemed to work okay. And it will do what you want. You need now only to select a backup drive to use.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:55 pm

I use Freefilesync. It is open sourced and free. It can be configured in different modes. I do a one-way mirror to my NAS and I have it set to do versioning so I still have old versions of files. I do not know if it does any kind of compression.

Macrium Reflect is a good all around backup system for making backups or images of your system. I believe it does incremental and differential backups. I use it mainly to capture system images so I don't have any experience with it.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:09 pm

I use a three W/D Black drive with Second Copy software
I set it to only copy changed files. I do not need to copy 300GB files that rarely change -- only the 5-10 that do.
I have it set for backups each night -- going to a different drive
IE M-W-F to one and T-Th-S to the second and Sunday to a third drive.
First backup takes quite a bit of time - but each nightly backup takes less than 10 minutes.
It's not an image but a file by file backup (again of changed files since the last backup).

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:15 pm

Rob5TCP wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:09 pm
I use a three W/D Black drive with Second Copy software
I set it to only copy changed files. I do not need to copy 300GB files that rarely change -- only the 5-10 that do.
I have it set for backups each night -- going to a different drive
IE M-W-F to one and T-Th-S to the second and Sunday to a third drive.
First backup takes quite a bit of time - but each nightly backup takes less than 10 minutes.
It's not an image but a file by file backup (again of changed files since the last backup).
Does it retain the old versions of changed/deleted files?
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:17 pm

You have an archiving option
I select 6 levels
it holds 6 back copies of deleted files (replaced actually)
(per day of the week - so up to 6 weeks of backups)
I also setup monthly and quarterly backups for archiving.

This is not an image backups but a file by file backup.
Last edited by Rob5TCP on Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:31 pm

ubermax wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:06 pm
Does anyone know of a good drive with backup software that satisfies the following criteria :
(a) performs complete and incremental backups and
(b) allows files and folders to be viewed in a Windows Explorer type format so that , for example , an individual file can be copied to a memory stick .

Several years ago I had an Iomega Drive that did (a) well but , as I recall, individual files couldn't be moved or copied .
My choice is Acronis ....

ubermax

Post by ubermax » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:58 am

WoodSpinner , a follow-up question : Say I buy an external drive and , instead of using the backup software that comes with it , I use Acronis True Image (ATI) ; (1) does ATI retain the original file names when it does a backup ? and (2) If I do an entire system backup to the external and then at some future date want to copy a file(s) from the external to say a memory stick , is the process pretty straightforward and somewhat similar to the way you would do it using Internet Explorer ?

And a general question for the group : I've heard that if you've been negligent with back-ups and your internal disk fails , then recovery is easier if you have a spinning disk rather than Solid State or say flash memory - any truth to that ??

VA_Gent

Post by VA_Gent » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:06 am

I second Acronis. It is a great program and easy to use.

Yes, It keeps the original file names.

Yes, you can access individual files just like file explorer.

It is also very fast. A complete full backup takes about 15 min for a 68 Gigabyte drive.

One computer version is only $29.
"In investing, what is comfortable is rarely profitable." - Robert Arnott

btenny

Post by btenny » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:17 am

Windows 10 has a built in backup program and it works fine with a external hard drive.
Good luck

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:24 am

I have used both Acronis and Macrium for doing system images. Both are excellent products. I haven't used them for data backups.

My current local back up system is Freefilesync - open source. I run a complete mirror to a NAS with versioning. The versioning is theoretically infinite so even if a file is deleted, corrupted or changed, the older versions are retained forever. The core mirror is identical to the data on my computer. I can access the mirror from any system attached to my network (once it is given access by the NAS).

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:19 pm

^^^ I bumping this thread because I took jebmke's recommendation of Macrium for system image backups.

In another thread (here), I had planned to swap out a 500 GB hard disk drive with a 500 GB SSD by creating a system image with the built-in Windows 7/10 backup utility. Swap out the drive, recover the image from the backup drive and you are done. Nope. Windows 10 does not support image recovery. :annoyed

This is a big deal, see: I cannot restore any system image which was created in Windows 10 v1709 using Backup and Restore. Unless you have access to the IT tools which create a true image file, the only alternative is 3rd party software.*

Long story short, I installed Macrium Reflect Free and cloned the drive. There were no problems whatsoever. The only time I wasted was a few hours trying to understand why a Windows 10 system image simply did not work.

My immediate actions:

- Modified my Windows 10 backup settings to remove the worthless system image (Windows 7 backup and restore).
- Created a backup image with Macrium Reflect
- Created a bootable Recovery DVD and made sure it booted OK and found the image.

I first looked at EaseUS Todo, but they wanted an email address for download access. That's not for me - they'll hammer you with spam. I also looked at Acronis True Image 2018, but there is no free version and it was getting mediocre reviews on Amazon.com. Macrium looks like the way to go. It's free, has a good reputation, and works as advertised.

For file backup, I'll continue to use the Windows 7 backup and restore utility. Cloud backup is with SpiderOak ONE (still within free trial period).

* The system image created inside Windows 10 is not an image file - it's a collection of files used to recover the installation. This is very different than a true ISO image.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:03 pm

LadyGeek,

There are many ways to skin the backup cat and I take interest in other peoples ways.

I've used Clonezilla for many years and have been happy with it.

With Win10, you must do a full shutdown via the command line before you make a Clonezilla image.

Do note that Clonezilla will not restore to a smaller disk than the image source.

I only periodically make an image. Most of my data size-wise ( pictures and such ) is not on my system disk and the much smaller needed Windows Apps Data ( Email and MyDocs ) is just copied to to this drive before I copy it to a removable drive. The image is only there for a system crash and once every 6 month is OK, as I can always catch up with any updates after a restore.

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:24 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:19 pm
This is a big deal, see: I cannot restore any system image which was created in Windows 10 v1709 using Backup and Restore. Unless you have access to the IT tools which create a true image file, the only alternative is 3rd party software.*
Wow,

I looked around and it looks like this still not been fixed and it looks like it has been a problem since last fall.

I have been using that since I am more concerned with restoring my system if I need to than the day to day changes. I will doing a backup with the software you suggested this weekend.

Thanks

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:00 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:19 pm
- Created a bootable Recovery DVD and made sure it booted OK and found the image.
It's important to note that the recovery media created by Macrium Reflect Free is specific to the PC. Don't create one bootable media (USB or DVD) and assume it will work on every PC you have.

Macrium clearly documents that the bootable recovery media should be tested - and with good reason. The recovery media is a customized Windows PE environment which is built with drivers supplied by the running OS.

You may be in for an unpleasant surprise if you try to boot media created by one PC with another.

I created a bootable recovery DVD for my two identical PCs. For my laptop, I created a bootable USB drive directly from the software running on my laptop. Both the DVD and USB drives work as intended.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.